Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The perfected winter rose, dew covered and freshly cut.

Red Rose. Limited edition. My favorite rose so far.
This is the first rose scent I haven't melted off within an hour. (I was amazed the first time I wore it. Eight hours, and no need to reapply!)

In the bottle, it smells like a rose from the florist - that cold hothouse smell.

On, it warms up slightly, but not too much - it's got a slight bite, which is a nice change from most roses that fade to a powdery softness.

I'll be very sad when I finish this one.

i love rose red, it's the smell of a JUST cut rose, i was and am absolutely amazed that elizabeth captured that smell

i got it for my mom and my apartment smelled so pretty for awhile because there had been some on the plastic or on the box

i'm sooo sad i didn't get to buy some

but my mom is thrilled beyond belief, it's the rose scent she's always been looking for

This has a green, just-picked smell when first applied, which evokes the texture of the sepals and the damp of the sap as it is first held up to the nose. After a short while, it's that satiny aroma that also brings to mind the little beads of morning dew on the unfurling petals. It's not overly sweet as it is tempered by the 'greenness' of the scent, but is a little too sweet for me. It is a wonderful scent, though, like good quality rosewater.

Just to add, I've just now read through Elizabeth's description after I'd written this! :oops:

This has a green, just-picked smell when first applied,

Yes it certainly does. I do find though that the green is far more prominent on me than the more 'traditional' rose aroma. The floral note does come through eventually but I find it a bit too sweet, and not particularly long lasting, (especially when it's compared to Blood Rose.)

Thanks to fellow forumite, Donnababe, I now possess a 5ml bottle of this gorgeous scent. I didn't know I could love a rose perfume so much!

For me it smells exactly like the perfect rose - uncut from the bush, in the open (morning) air. I often find rose scents to smell less fresh and more shop-stale if that makes sense? Once on the scent's freshness intensifies, more so than in the bottle. And it keeps getting better and better - the longevity is wonderful and still strong after 8 hours.

Thank you Elizabeth :P you have created a utterly amazing scent once again – please, please bring it back next Yule :D

OMG-this is the perfect rose scent for me.

This is the smell of an uncut rose just about to burst forth into full bloom-it's gorgeous on. After a few hours of wearing, it develops into a deep, wet utterly luscious rose. It's beautiful, but unpretentious-like it really has no clue of it's beauty.

Every time I sniff it, I think of that awkward gangly stage that all girls through where they just aren't able to see through the clouds how beautiful they truly are.

:D :D :P :evil: :D :P :D :)

An absolutely perfect, true tea rose. So sweetly crisp I'm reminded of a Granny Smith apple.

Stunning.

To me the oil smells like an entire rosebush, it's so full and strong, with a hint of greenness for the leaves. I'm very impressed that Elizabeth was able to make a perfume that smells exactly like roses, because all the rose scents I've encountered before smell obviously fake.

Got an imp of this from Redwitche for my b'day & just to reiterate what has been said above. No surprises with this one- it really, truly does smell like a freshly cut rose still covered with droplets of dew. Rosey but green rosey & with a hint of that smell you get after it's just rained. It smells like my front garden! (yep- roses galore at my place!)

Perfection- it is what it is & it it does it so well. :P

I love the sharpness of this scent. It's a "Just bitten" scent that really packs a punch. There is a greeness to it as well. True rose-with the stem thrown in as well. Simply lovely......... :P

Thanks to the loveliness of a fellow forumite :D I have gotten my hands on some of this.

First sniff:

Oh this is beautiful. Like I'm standing in a perfect winter garden surrounded by the largest, most perfect red roses imaginable. Also if any of you remember the doll PJ that was Barbie's friend and came smelling like roses in a lovely rose dres...this smells a bit like her.

Wet:

Rose. Pure pure pure rose. No other scents, just a pure pure rose. I keep sniffing myself and swooning. It's like I am drowning in rose scent and its so so lovely. Have any of you read Patricia A. McKillip's book Winter Rose? There's a scene when the main character Rois is overwhelmed by roses...I imagine this is what that would smell like.

Dry down:

Not quite as strong now but when I turn my head I get the barest whiff of Rose...like a memory of a scent. This is flipping gorgeous. Why did I not grab a 10 ml of this stuff?! WHY.

This is a true rose scent. Oh to be able to bathe in a tub of this...gah. Lovely. Just lovely :P

This is divine, initially you can smell that watery newess of the flower begining to come into its own. One minute later and the rose uncurls delicately and rewards you with the most delicious scent of victorious red rose petals.

This would have to be termed as the quintessential rose scent, delicious and bursting with promise.

:P

First Impression: Wet roses with a bit of an astringent quality.

Second Impression: The drydown is very nice, astringent quality gone and just fresh sweet roses remain. For a rose floral this is very "clean".

Final Analysis: Much sweeter than I thought was going to be when I first sniffed and applied. Overall a lovely scent, but not better than many of the other gorgeous rose blends that Beth has created. For those of you eager to try this and may not be able to, try Persephone. The drydowns are so very similar.

This definitely smells like the perfect long stemmed red rose. I can even smell the stem. As I wear it awhile it blossoms into a spicey (I use that word a lot!) deep rose scent. Like the roses in my garden. The green has faded, and the sun has deepened the rose scent. I've never had a rose scent work on me, ever, they all go to powder. Not this one, it's beautiful. Thank you so much quantum spice for letting me try this gorgeous scent!

Wow, I never thought that I would like a rose scent this much....

In the vial: More green than floral. It's got an almost Apothecary-like herby greeness to it.

Upon first application: Definitely green, but the rose is much more prominent. This is so, so pretty.

After a few minutes: A very sweet, innocent, pure rose. This is the rose scent I would give a five year old girl to wear when she is playing dress-up.

Absolutely beautiful.

This is rose, but it isn't typical rose. I love it because rose often does something funny on me, and this is perfect. The green of the rose is much stronger - it is like a rose plant instead of just a single bloom. I smell the leaves and the stem as well as the flower itself. It's so fresh, even though the vial I'm smelling from is nearly a year old. I can only dream how fabulous this was when it was brand new.

*Le happy content sigh*

I have NEVER smelled such a FANTASTIC rose scent in all my life!

I haven't been very big on rose scents because I have so many, and many of them smell alike to me, and my skin seems to eat them alive.

But this one...WOW. It's brisk, it's wet, it's fresh and alive! It smells exactly like the description says: the perfect winter rose. Dew covered, and freshly cut.

It's exactly what I imagine a 'winter rose' would smell like. Smelling it both in the bottle and on my skin, gives me this image of a fairy tale type scenario where I've stumbled upon a single rose blossom poking out in the crystal white snow. It's almost like... hope in a bottle. I mean, what says hope more than a flower blooming in the dead of winter??

I have to say that from first whiff from the bottle, I was in love. Of course, my skin changed the scent a bit - dulling it down, and taking away that glorious fresh, wet rose smell, but still! And for once, my chemistry didn't eat those rose-based scent. It just lasts and lasts. Amazing.

-Leslie

Wet

For two seconds exactly I got a whiff of the refridgerated room, where all the roses are, at a really good florist.

The "green" part of this rose is kicking my butt. My skin chemistry is making this way to strong of a green scent, too cloying.

5 minutes

Okay, the "green stem" scent has fallen back a bit and the pure rose scent is primary again. (thank goodness)

15 minutes.

Alas, even though it's mellowed out somewhat to a beautiful pure rose that other green scent is too harsh and won't let me enjoy the rose.

2004 Edition

In the bottle: An entire rosebush -- petals, stems, and all. It smells exactly like a freshly cut rose.

Wet: It's very green and sharp to my nose. The stems, leaves and thorns nearly drown out the rose petals proper.

Drydown: Ah, there we go. The rose petals return. It's actually sharper than the other rose scents I've tried. It's not bad, but it is different.

Final thoughts: It's not powdery. It's not wet. It's a rose just touched with dew. This is pure genius.

Rose Red: The Passion. The Obsession. The Drama.

I badly want to try Snow White and Gingerbread Poppet (decants, anyone?), but this was the *one* Yule LE that I had to have, the one that made me start making weird "wanting" noises when Beth posted the Yule update, the one I begged Brian to buy for me. And since today is Yule, now I have the lovely little bottle with the flaming-heart logo sitting in front of me (or is it a rose on top of a heart? Hard to make out). I madly adore Beth's roses and have been systematically trying them all, looking for the fairest of them all...

In the bottle: whoa! Green! Now I see what everyone means. A bouquet of red roses framed with tons of greenery and a breath of cold air--perhaps because a highbrow florist has just delivered it to your door as a Yule gift from an admirer.

On me: This is going to sound insane, but somehow I'm not really getting much rose from this. It's *in* there, but the greenery is way stronger. The crispness of it almost reminds me of green apples! Well, I do like green scents, but this is not what I expected--on me, instead of roses on the bush, it is a tangle of greenery with one last winter rose clinging to it...like the castle garden in Beauty and the Beast.

Verdict: Beautiful background greenery, but I am actually going to have to layer some Blood Rose with this to make it rose enough for me. I'm building my own little BPAL bouquet. A bizarre reaction, but intriguing...

Rose Red 2004

WOW. I love the scent of roses, but tend to stay away from rose perfumes because they're always just ... bleh. Discovering Bpal changed my mind on that one. I fell in love with Othello in seconds flat. But Rose Red is the most glorious rose scent I've ever smelled. It smells so fresh and so damned wet, as if the scent is about to explode off of my skin and rain down deep red rose petals from the sky. Because it's so deep, so rose, I can't help but think of it as RED. It smells, to me, more red than anything I've ever sniffed before. And it's so dewey! This is bottled genius. Glorious, perfected, rosey genius. I am going to horde this bottle like it's the holy grail. :P

mmmm, so good! it's definitely greenish, smells like clean cool air and apples a bit. I understand what people are saying about not getting the "rose" scent but to me it's just a different kind of rose than what we're typically used to in perfumes. it's definitely the smell of a rose bush, with a lighter scented bud but the whole green lovely flower in there too. I only wish it lasted longer on me. yum!

Both my SO and I love roses. So when I saw that <b>Rose Red[/b] was returning I knew we had to try it. There are two new converts here. I am a huge fan of Zombi, but Rose Red far surpassed my otherwise favorite rose scent.

As many have mentioned above it is a lot greener, fresher. I have to agree with UltraViolet about the refrigerated florist back room experience. For me though, that stage lasts for ages, with just a little lessening in quite how green it is.

Edited by omly

I put on Snow White this morning but this one was calling to me so I put a bit on my hand to smell and walked around work eliciting compliments. Everyone was like, "It smells like rose." and I said, "duh, it's fresh cut rose." Everyone proceeded to say, "It does! Man, how did they do that!!??"

So yes, Rose Red smells like fresh cut roses, and no, I don't have any idea how the lab did it.

I have this love/hate relationaship with rose. I never really liked it until I went to London and smelled some lovely rose perfume. But now everytime I get a rose blend, whether it be BPAL or something else, it's that dusty, dead rose, grandma smell. And then I get all disappointed.

But Rose Red, beautiful Rose Red is fresh and potent! It has HUGE throw (a little goes a long way. I put just a dab on and it has taken over Snow White which is slathered all over the place).

I have finally found the rose scent I have been in search of! And it surprisingly smells yummy with the vanilla Snow White.

Oh, OMG, this is exquisite. As everyone has said, it is the perfect pure rose scent. This is what a fresh-cut rose actually smells like, a single red rose in the snow. It's so lovely, especially in the bottle, but on me too. I'm so glad I ordered it. :P