Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

White Rose

White rose buds, with vanilla tea, benzoin, orris, coconut meat, and frankincense.

This is a sweet creamy rose in the imp...

On the skin...POOf...it's gone...

My skin ate the gorgeous that was in the imp and left me with a dull, flat, dying rose smell...no cream...and the final drydown smells like a mix between crayons :blink: and rose

This one is sweet and creamy. It's very sweet on me, very classically feminine. It is like rose syrup, with a hint of coconut.

Layered: I feel like the masculine, spiciness is a good contrast and balance against this blend. By itself, I really don't like White Rose. Together, it's a creamy, spicy rose. Although honestly, I think I prefer the Red Rose by itself.

Creamy vanilla with coconut. The rose here is very faint and the frankincense is behaving--it's really almost all vanilla-y coconut on me, very foody. Reminds me a bit of Love's Philosophy.

Both of the roses are really lovely--I'm going to have to try layering them next!

I wore Red Rose and White Rose layered for Valentine's, and holy cats was it ever a gorgeous and sexy combination! I want to review them separately now, though. When wet, White Rose smells very resinous and lightly incensey...in fact, I felt a little cheated because I couldn't really smell rose. And truly this is not the scent to buy if you want a serious rose fix (I recommend Blood Rose or 2, 5, 7 for that). However, as it dries, the white rose note is apparent, blending nicely with a vanilla-tea note reminiscent of Dorian. I never would have guessed there was coconut in this. It's sweet and rich and expresses the concept of the beauty and purity a white rose symbolizes, rather than smelling particularly rosy itself. Layering with Red Rose makes it less sweet, more spicy and sexy. It's beautiful alone though...it reminds me of Black Lace, and would be appropriate for similar occasions, i.e., when I want to smell feminine, high-class, and dramatic. It's not light or fresh enough for, say, a wedding--which is what a White Rose initially brings to mind for me. Rather, it's a glamour scent, like a woman in a dramatic white satin bias-cut evening gown in an old Hollywood movie.

Edited by Laurel the Woodfairy

Hmm...so I wasn't sure about this because I do not like florals. Plus rose gives me headaches. But after reading reviews, I had to try this, figuring that if I didn't like it, someone else would snatch it up.

In the bottle: Soft vanilla, no rose. Promising.

Wet on skin: There's the rose. But it's a light rose backed by something creamy.

Dry: Soft, creamy rose. This is a very innocent scent. Kind of like a white silk dress.

Dry, few hours later. Very faint vanilla.

Verdict: I love this. No way am I swapping this. This made me feel elegant and refined. I don't think this would be an everyday scent for me, more of a special occasion scent, like a birthday party.

Layered this turns into something magical. Makes me feel elegant and sexy and oooh soo good. :)

*EDIT* So I tried this again, and sadly, it turns to powder on my pulse points. And not good powder. Powder that makes me sneeze.

Edited by gothicangel18

Hmmm...this is definitely in the same scent family as Antique Lace, but with more complexity and subtlety...There's the same "waffle cone" vanilla from Antique Lace, with the addition of discernible coconut meat, the faintest breath of frankincense, and I can just barely pick out the white rose. I could definitely see myself wearing White Rose alone for those days that I feel like exuding something flirty, playful and less overtly sexual than Red Rose. It smells very pure...probably that holy frankincense note I'm picking up.

Together, these two complete each other and become one well-rounded, complex and gorgeous blend. I love both Red Rose and White Rose so much - both together and individually!

:heart:

In bottle: weird plastic vanilla

On skin: wow, does this bloom nicely when wet! Creamy vanilla right off with some watery coconut

Half-hour later: the creamy vanilla mellows with a bit of tea. I don't like most tea blends but this is delicious. Barely any rose to be found

Worn with Red Rose: there's the great BPAL Rose that I love, but how weird that it only seems to appear when the two scents are combined! Creamy, slightly spicy roses. Really pretty!

Oh, translucent White Rose, with white rose buds, white sugared vanilla and some light tea, you have the texture of Motherpearl!

I love this blend, it`s pure and rich with the coconut meat, it`s complex and monocrome, and the incense is the final touch of perfection!

In the Bottle ♦ Sweet soft white rose and creamy coconut tea.

Initial Application ♦ The vanilla tea is the most dominant of the notes here, but it is very well blended. Creamy tea petals with a very pale coconut aura.

Dry Down ♦ The incense drifts up just enough to round this scent out although it's still every bit as gentle in feel.

Just Lovely! It kind of smells like Heaven - if that's where you went for your honeymoon. :heart:

I ordered decants of these, because rose is generally not my friend. Wet and for the first 15 or so minutes, this is a beautiful tea like vanilla with a touch of gentle floral rose, and maybe a teeny bit of spice thrown in. To me, it Dorian's younger, innocent sister, the same vanilla/tea scent, but definitely more femine. After 15 minutes, this blend has become a "close to the skin" scent, I thought it had disappeared, until I kept getting these wonderful whiffs again. Kind of like a perfume has become one with your skin, it just naturally makes you smell good, like it is your own scent, and not a perfume at all. Depending on how Red Rose goes on me, I'll probably spring for the set. I love White Rose, even if it is a slatherer to me. Maybe with age, it'll get stronger, but a definite win!

eta: This is probably one of the few bpals that actually fades away, then gets stronger as the day goes on. Two hours later, and this is steadily getting stronger with the beautiful vanilla/tea note dominating. Truly a morpher, as half an hour ago, I got a lovely rose poking through. Not an awful sour rose, as most roses go on me, but a shy, white rose.

Edited by milo

Oddly enough, when wet and while drying, this reminds me staggeringly of Selkie. Seriously. I have no idea why---but it's almost the exact same topnote scent on me, plus rose. Which is pretty much awesome, as I gave my only bottle of Selkie to my best friend (it's a long story, but it just really needed to be with her more than it needed to be with me), and have been looking for a replacement for it ever since!

In the bottle: Creamy tea and rose and maybe a sniff of vanilla. It's gorgeous in the bottle.

On my skin, wet: ROSE OW, I thought people said they weren't getting a lot of rose out of this? A couple of seconds later, the rose backs off just enough so I can smell Selkie Selkie Selkie! That same melony topnote, with light herbs and tea, that Selkie does on my skin. Exactly. I mean, I'd have to hunt down some Selkie to confirm that 100%, but it's seriously, seriously close.

On my skin, finally dry (took like an hour): The rose has been tempered by the vanilla tea and just a touch of frankincense is making it smell almost fuzzy, like how incense smoke looks. There's a touch (a TOUCH) of coconut that I have to sniff really deeply for. It's actually making me think of if the Queen of Clubs had a little baby princess daughter. The rose + resins + vanilla, but lightened and made girlier by the tea and coconut (as opposed to the dark richness of the pomegranate, currants and incense).

Five hours later this is still present, smelling kind of like the smell of a week-old baby's head. (You know, the most amazing smell ever.) I'm definitely dubbing this one "Princess of Clubs." I love it!

The scent-color of this is a pale, girly pink.

If you like this, try: Selkie (I'm serious!), Parlement of Foules, Dorian, Queen of Clubs.

In ways this reminds me of Snow Angel, because like Snow Angel, it's a soft, white scent that is dominated by a smooth, lemony tea and candy-like sweetness.

Wet, it's almost like vanilla cotton candy with lemon. Gradually, it dries into a soft white rose (the same one from Parlement of Foules) with creamy sweetness. The vanilla and coconut are no longer so candy-like, just round and sweet. (Together, it reminds me a bit of Symmakhia.) The tea note surprisingly seems to be a green tea note. It's bright and lemony, not at all like the black tea notes in Famine or Eros. It's most similar to Dorian, smooth, vanilla cream with a squirt of lemon. The citrus edge really cuts through all of the fuzzy whiteness, but it softens considerably over the course of the first hour.

Unfortunately it seems to fade as it dries. After an hour or so, it's a very subdued vanilla coconut cream with white rose and a twist of lemon. The frankincense doesn't stand out at all, except perhaps to add a very, very faint fuzziness.

Taken separately, I like this better than Red Rose, so far. It seems more unique. (Also, the past few months I've been in love with this white rose note.) Again, I haven't yet layered them, but I think the whole will definitely be greater than the sum of its parts.

White Rose

This is a Where-Have-You-Been-All-My-Life scent. This is amazing. Vanilla tea and coconut and a rose which doesn't turn to powdery death on my skin. I want to bathe in this. I want to drown in this. I haven't tried layering with Red Rose yet, because I don't want to spoil how amazing the vanilla tea and coconut are. I'm so very much in love. :thud:

Such a lovely blend. Soft vanilla tea with just a pinch of rose. Enough to give it a warm sweetness that only a rose blend can give. It's not as complex as Red Rose, but it's still beautiful. It reminds me of a luke warm tea that I might drink while sitting under the sun in hawaii. Don't know why I get that feeling with it, but I do ;)

It's the perfect simple companion to Red Rose. By itself, it's grace and elegance. But paired with Red Rose, it makes it a perfect and unique blend.

Sweet and light, white roses, turning slightly soapy-sweet. Very nice, but not something I'm likely to pick up and wear when I have Parlement of Foules around.

The immediate scent of this is citrussy, a fruity coconut. I am reminded of Snow White (probably the coconut). While it's wet, I can smell a touch of the rose, but that disappears pretty quickly.

As it dries down, the scent develops a sweeter, fruitier tone. The fruits, oddly, smell like dried fruit to me--sweeter and more concentrated than fresh fruit.

After a bit, the fruity scent becomes oddly dusty-smelling. Now it's a bit more like dried fruits that have been left out and gathered dust. Hmmm. Strange. (Another indicator that my skin does not like fruit…)

Worn with Red Rose: The initial scent is definitely rose, with spices and fruit together creating a more balanced, full sensory experience than either of the roses on its own. Oddly, however, the combination goes a little soapy-smelling on me, where neither of the individual scents did so by itself. I think I actually prefer these as separate scents!

Recaplet: Bright, citrussy coconut that becomes dusty dried fruits.

My rating: 2 of 5 (Meh.)

Color impression: Apricot.

Edited by kjirstiben

YUMMM...

White Rose smells like Wedding Cake. I don't know how, or why, but I'm getting a sweet, lightly lemony, creamy cake. It's not cake as in the other bpal foody blends, it's wafts of icing. And for some reason unbeknowst to me, I get hardly any rose which I normally amp to high heaven. This is just soft and smooth and georgeous. I put this on before going out last night about and hour or two later, I was walking in front of the bf and a breeze blew by. He said "mmm something smells good- is that YOU?" and after a precautionary sniff, it was :D

Interestingly, I did not really love these mixed together and got a wrinkled nose expression from the boy so, I'm in the camp of wearing them seperately but I will definately be buying the set :)

Mmmm. I get very little rose in White Rose. Instead I get a creamy, vanilla-y scent that is identifiable as a floral, but isn't In Your Face Rose.

Alone, it turns slightly soapy on the dry-down, but paired with Red Rose this seems to stay truer to itself. Lovely.

In the bottle, this is very light and very sweet. It makes me think of Dorian mixed with gummi bears. On my skin, it's much the same, but stronger & with much better throw. This is such a sweet scent on me that it could be cloying at times. I think that I'm getting all vanilla tea and none of the other notes. It makes me think of a much, much sweeter Dorian with a hint of gummi bears. It's such a gorgeous, innocent sort of fragrance. I may not be able to pull off its sweetness all the time, but I can still see myself wearing this a lot.

I usually amp up rose so that it drowns out all of the other notes in a blend, but White Rose doesn't smell rose-like to me at all, and the rose in Red actually stays in the background & gives the other notes a chance to shine.

Layered together ~ I much prefer wearing Red Rose & White Rose on their own instead of layered together. Together, they seem to wash each other out. The sweetness of White Rose is more subdued, but the sexy spiciness of Red Rose disappears. On my skin, the Red Rose is much stronger than the White Rose blend as well. If I layer them together, I have to apply Red Rose with a light hand and slather on more of the White Rose. I can't seem to strike a good balance between the two with my skin chemistry.

On their own, each of the rose blends is distinctive, strong, and beautiful (though White Rose can be a bit too sweet for me at times). Together, they morph into a faint, boring, light, sweet rose on me.

Still, I adore them separately and I think that this is such a gorgeous set & a lovely idea to offer for Valentine's Day. I wish that I could afford to buy another set or two :wub2:

This is the lighter, sweeter of the two. Pretty white rose enveloped in vanilla tea with benzoin and frankincense.

Coconut meat mingles softly in the background and adds another dimension.

Comes across as creamy, vanilla roses. Beautiful.

expectations-

creamy light rose

imp-

sweet candy

wet-

rose comes out, so soft- and the a lovely creamy coconut~ fantastic! I think it's important to keep in mind that the description is for rose buds, not blooms-

the other notes play as large a role as the buds do. Wee roses! The vanilla tea and coconut meat waltz side by side with the white rose buds~

(ETA: reminds me of the cream not in white rabbit, but with a rose addition.)

drydown-

gorgeous and creamy

verdict-

These are so lovely! I put white rose on one arm and red on the next~ must track down a bottle.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description --Shollin

I like the Rose blends way, way more than I expected to.

Unlike Red Rose, White Rose is very cool and creamy. Wet, it's a resinous vanilla tea. I think the coconut is what gives it that creaminess, though I'd hesitate to say that it smells like coconut.

It does smell like rose, although I agree that it's a very soft, white rose. The vanilla tea aspect of it reminds me of Dorian, but with resins added instead of Dorian's musk. White Rose is also creamier, and the rose is definitely present although not prominent, which impresses me because my chemistry tends to amp rose all over.

Sweet, cool, and lovely.

I'm definitely picking up the Unity set, although Red Rose will probably be passed along to my boyfriend. I love White Rose, and I also like how they complement each other when layered.

In the bottle: a gentle white rose scent, no others.

Wet: the benzoin pops out first, then the white rose rises up, very sweet, but definitely only a budding flower, and not a fully displayed rose. Underneath is the creamy coconut.

Dry-down: now the vanilla tea is coming out, and I can see that this is why others think of Dorian. As for the comparisons with Snow White, that oil is a combination of florals, a hint of the snow note, and some creaminess on me, so I don't get the comparions. White Rose is just that, a white rose, and I don't detect a combination of a whole bunch of other florals. Now there's that tiny whiff of the frankincense. And a gentle touch of the violet note from the orris, very faint.

Later: a delicate yet creamy scent--all of the ingredients have blended together nicely (white rose buds, vanilla tea, benzoin, orris, coconut meat, and frankincense). The rose and the tea notes are the most prominent ones, but the creaminess of the coconut meat grounds them, and the frankincense keeps it from becoming too sweet or too foodie.

Artwork: The art on the bottle is that of the stylized white rose of the House of York dominating a blue and green background. It's beautiful!

Layering: if you layer White Rose with Red Rose, the most marvelous thing happens. Even though both oils are perfectly wonderful on their own, layering creates a totally new scent, seemingly. :) It's as though one takes hothouses buds, and grafts them to a rose running wild in some neglected part of the garden. A totally new rose, and one that is complete in itself. It's as though the hothouse bud, and the young almost-wild rose, grow into each other and became the queen of the garden, in full bloom, heady yet still sweet, the envy of all the other roses.

If White Rose is the House of York (and I am quite the Yorkist supporter), and Red Rose is the House of Lancaster, then the unity of the two can only result in the House of Tudor. :) I'm not overly fond of the Tudor kings, so I will call the layered scent Elizabeth I.

Hmmm, interesting -- I usually fear rose, because even though I actually like the scent (in moderation) my skin tends to amp it really strongly. But at first sniff, neither of the BPTP Lupercalia roses smell all that strongly rosy -- even on my rose-amping skin! They're both really nicely balanced. The rose is noticeable, but it doesn't by any means overpower the other notes.

And while Red Rose is the one I've really fallen for, this one's definitely not bad either. I think the vanilla and tea notes are actually stronger than the rose -- it's almost a bit like a lighter, tarter version of Snake Oil. The benzoin and frankincense are pretty noticeable too, giving it a softly incensey vibe. The coconut, not so much, which is a good thing for me because I really don't like smelling like coconut. The orris is there, but just as a soft presence, cooling the scent a little.

All in all, it's kind of an ethereal, light incense scent with tea overtones, and just a soft rose presence. Quite nice, though really, Red Rose is much more my usual type of scent.

Over the course of the day, the rose element fades out almost completely, and it becomes much more of an incense scent. But still quite likable as such. On the whole, a pleasant surprise.

Grade: B+

Oh, and one interesting additional note: my 19-month-old son loves it! He's already showing signs of being a budding BPAL addict, with little to no encouragement from me or his other mom, my ex-wife. He's liked smelling things for as long as he's had the nose-control to do it, and even when being carried in a sling will insist on stopping for a sniff if we pass some flowers. And he's learned to recognize BPAL imps and bottles on sight, and will immediately reach for them and make sniffy noises every time he sees them.

When he spotted my Lupercalia decants he wanted them immediately and would not be discouraged. He sniffed several (through the cap, as we try not to over-expose him to scents given his age), and really zeroed in on White Rose, sniffing it repeatedly, and then looking up at me and pointing to the collar of his T-shirt. (We never put scent directly on his skin, but will occasionally put a tiny dab on his shirt if he wants it.) I dabbed a bit on there, and for some while afterwards, he was holding it out in front of his face, sniffing happily.

I think the last scent I saw him show this much enthusiasm for was the third Thirteen, when he was still a baby rather than a toddler. We didn't put scent on him then, but if I was wearing that one, he would face-plant into my cleavage, sniffing.

In the bottle, White Rose is something creamy and light and sweet. Vague, and indistinct.

On the skin, it becomes gentle and yummy, with a little rose layered over the top. The vanilla tea is creamy and delicious, while the coconut is definitely coconut meat - white and light, but not overtly food/sunscreeny-coconut. The rose in combination with the tea approaches the sharper, dangerous rose zone for me, but never gets that bad and is only noticeable when I really jam my nose up close to smell. This is a light pink and white kind of smell, and it's very sweet. (Sweet in feel, it's not overly sweet in smell).

And, as a disclaimer, rose is usually a soapy awful disaster, with the exception of this, Red Rose, and Rose Red.

This is like: Snow White, Hope and Faith. A tea party in the garden in which approximately half of the attendants are fluffy white bunnies. :bunnyluv: