Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

The Fainting Couch Atmosphere Spray

Lush velvet cushions and prim tea rose, a splash of rose water on a lace doily, strong black tea, a whiff of pomander, and an orris root sachet.

I LOVE this. How did Beth know that I really wanted some more non-seasonally-specific floral room scents?

It smells primarily like rose water. Light, pink, soft rose. As other reviews have said, Queen's Croquet Ground is packed to the brim with voluptuous red rose and greenery, and it smells very much like Rose Red in spray form. This is much lighter and girlier. QCG is an outdoor garden, this is absolutely an indoor parlor, exactly as you'd imagine from the description.

In the air, it's hard to pick out individual notes beyond rose, but the overall sense is of rose water on dry linens with a little bit of dust. Knowing there's orris, I can definitely smell it -- powdery and bone dry. I can smell the black tea note when I first spray the scent, but once it has settled in the room, it seems to just add to the "parlor" quality of the scent, rather than stand out as a distinct note.

So taken as a whole: light, dried roses and dusty linens. Fabulous!

I first got to try this in a squirt I received with an ebay order about a year ago. I was instantly in love. It literally smelled like some musty Victorian parlour, years of floral sachets, and dusty couch cushions. The floral notes were really light and I got mostly old fabric and the impression of dried flowers. Needless to say I was thrilled when this was released.

However, I've found the release version to be much more floral. I never detected anything more than a hint of rose in the squirt, but my full size is VERY rosey. To me it's less a Victorian parlour and more a Victorian powder room. If I spray, let it dry and sniff very closely I can catch hints of the musty velvet couch smell that I loved so dearly. It's still lovely, but not exactly what I was expecting.

I've gone through a couple of the little squirts that were around before this spray was released. This is the most wonderful scent. It is the kind of rose that is in the Caswell-Massey rosewater and glycerine soap: a light, almost watery tea rose. Along with that there is some light powdery scent, probably the orris? Or violet? It is delicate, cool and PERFECT. I am sad to hear from previous reviewer that the released version is different. Maybe they just made the released version a little stronger?

Oooh, roses! Lush, velvety roses without a trace of greenery in sight.

Once sprayed, beneath the roses I smell...soil? It's not anywhere in the ingrediests list or the reviews, but I could swear it's there o_0

Maybe my nose is broken :think:

It's wonderful all the same, I love earthy scents -this is very close to what I hoped Zombi would be. It's not as strong or long lasting as other sprays I've tried, but soft and lovely, perfect for spring.

I just got this as a freebie Goblin Squirt with my latest order, and OMG, I am so in love. I don't smell much in the way of roses. What I got was violets, lots and lots of violets with possibly an orris note, something a little dry in there. It's beautiful! I can't wait to sleep on clean sheets misted with this tonight. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :wub2:

It's definitely roses for me <_< Lots and lots of fragile, dried roses. I would love to get more of the impression of dust and tea.. but to me this is soft, sweet roses. Very much not my thing!

forgot i even had a sample of this! i just tried it and it smells of tea rose mixed with something to soften it out a bit...maybe that's the orris? this is very victorian, as others have said and makes me think of tea parties and porcelain teacups! it's very feminine and floral. i like rose, so i like this a lot, it's very pretty and refreshing.

Target of spraying: My curtains!

First spritz: Very stong and sweet smell. When I first spray it there is also a strong alcohol-note.

Luckily that disappears rather quickly and I'm left with roses, roses, roses!

After half an hour: Woooh, strong rose and tea! I feel like you're having tea in a small room that is filled with different kinds of roses.

Rose-bouquets on every surface, rose-patterned wallpaper, roses climbing in the curtains, roses in every painting, rosepetals on the floor..

And then dark, black tea icon_biggrin.gif

Very heavy on the rose for my taste, but I quite like it anyway. I can totally see my grandmother use this when she redecorates her bedroom to a romantic, white and golden room (right now it's dark plum/purple and black..)!

This is my go-to spray for bedtime. Rose, orris a hint of black tea and I detect some lavender (maybe it's just wishful thinking???) in there as well. This smells SO good - very Victorian, very lush, very comforting. I'm glad to have a bottle of this, but I'm thinking it will go quickly!

A gorgeous ladylike rose and violet-like blend with just a wisp of tea. This carries out the concept so vividly; and it is so perfectly suited to my Victorian house. It is a light and delicate fragrance - more rosewater than tea rose - even when I sprayed it so generously that my goblin was empty after only two uses. I definitely need a full bottle!

My rating: 5 stars

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later edited to add:

Bottle purchased from The Trading Post, after aging about 6 years.

This is still gorgeous, still one of my top favorites!  The rose has amped.  It's now a strongly rose blend, with hints of other mysterious and unidentifiable but lovely things in the background.

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

This smells purely of rose water to my nose. It reminds me very much of my MAC rose setting spritzer I use on my face every morning. :)

I love this one. I am so happy to have a happy gentle rose scent to replace my Miss Emma Benedicts when it runs out {in about mumble mumble mumble years-- I stockpiled it}

roses help you chill for bed yo

This is my go-to nap scent--I love the rose, but to me it's not overpowering. It's rose, but also with a dry, crisp herbal bouquet smell to me. I love spraying this on my pillow and going to sleep. It makes me feel like I'm on an outdoor veranda somewhere, dreaming as softly scented breezes blow floral hints my way. I love this!

I got a Goblin Squirt of The Fainting Couch in my last Post order, and I'm so glad I got to try this! I get, in order of prominence: tea rose, rose water, orris, black tea, and a bit of orange. It's very Victorian, for sure. I love the Lab and Post's roses, so this is right up my alley. This definitely smells like indoor roses, cultivated blooms arranged in a vase at the end of a polished table. It's really pretty and I can see why it's so popular. I think I might still prefer the wild roses—the ones blurred with musk, incense, or greens. But my office smells so good after spritzing this, and if I decide I need a more buttoned-up rose, I wouldn't hesitate to drop this in my cart.

I was given a squirt of this with my last Trading Post order. It's definitely not something I would have ordered myself but I was hoping that I might get more of the black tea and orris but NOPE-this is straight-up stuffy tea rose. After a few minutes of settling into the linens I sprayed it on it also takes on a sort of generic Dove face cream thing hovering below the rose. Not my thing at all. But hey, if you do enjoy tea rose then get this ASAP because it's strong and it lasts and lasts and lasts.

This is pretty, but not as strong a rose as I had hoped. Its sweet and feminine but I'm having a hard time picking out individual notes. I think I smell the rose, but that may only be because I expect to. I sprayed it on my pillow to test. I may need to spray more onto a smaller area to get a good read on this, but overall I quite like it, it's just not wowing me.

I received a sample size of this from the Post. I don't normally use the atmo sprays, but might as well try out the sample, especially because I like all the notes in this!

Sprayed onto my shirt: Wow, I got a jumble of images in my mind when I smelled this. It mostly smells like a sweet rose. It reminds me of a Victorian era little girl's room, or a fancy tea parlor. It also reminds me of the rose flower water used in some Armenian desserts (not surprising since "rosewater" is listed as a note). I do smell a bit of citrus in here too (presumably the orange of the pomander). This smells good, but it smells kind of simultaneously "old fashioned" and like something a young girl would wear. It also reminds me of a toy I had as a kid that would roll strips of paper into a rose shape. The paper had a rose scent to it and while that was no doubt artificial, it's the same sort of tea rose/rosewatery sort of scent that this has.

This made me think of Mrs. Grose, a Yule from a few years ago (which has notes of spice, black tea and rosewater), but I sniffed that to compare and it's much heavier on the tea and spice.

I'm mostly getting rose. I think the other notes here are much lighter and are just contributing to the overall feel of the scent. There's a bit of a dusty powder backdrop that I can attribute to the orris.

I think I like this better than The Queen's Croquet Ground, which has a lot of rose but also a sharp leafy green note to it. There's nothing like that here.

Huh. It's a truly bizarre moment when you realize that you would wear something as perfume in a heartbeat, but you don't want your sheets to smell like that. This is very similar to The Queen's Croquet Ground, but with pink roses instead of red. It's an important difference, because while the red ones are bright and green, the pink ones are very floral and powdery. This is an extremely feminine scent, and as I mentioned I would gladly wear it but I don't think I want to be surrounded by it. Noted for next time.

This is a pale pink smell. Normally, I prefer a fresh rose note, but the dried rose petals scent of this spray is charming and refreshing! The tea, orris, rose, and other notes blend together into a clean and inviting scent. It's a bit formal, but friendly. It's classy. I prefer this for a bedroom scent; it gives my bedroom the illusion of being put together (even though it's very much not). 

I wouldn't have bought it for myself, but my friends gifted me a goblin squirt, which I used up and quickly replaced, haha! 

The Fainting Couch makes my bedsheets smell perfect for snuggling down or swooning onto. 

Rose water is for sure the strongest note once sprayed, but eventually I can smell the teas and pomander. This isn't something I'd normally reach for but it's not a bad scent at all, just won't be used as much as my other Atmospheric Sprays. It's a very sweet floral but not overpowering or potpourri like. Will hold onto the decant, but no bottle upgrade for me.