Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Thick Turkish coffee spiked with whiskey, with a little bit of mocha to soften the bitterness.

This one is so interesting. In the bottle, it's gorgeous, bitter, strong coffee. And whiskey.
Once I put it on, though, it's all about the throw! On my skin, it quickly goes to a burny coffee grounds sort of scent, but the throw is still lovely coffee, and now I get a chocolate note! It's REALLY beautiful, but I fight the urge to wash it off! Does that make sense? I know, not really.

Glad I have a decant, but I guess I'll leave it at that.

Bah! - I took my own sweet time getting around to trying this one because I don't like coffee, chocolate, or whiskey BPALs. It's just too bad I took so long to try this one, because I LOVE IT!!! I don't know how Beth does it, but somehow she put together a blend using three of my least-favorite notes, and it works. It works amazingly well on me. This is the smell of fresh-ground, dark-roasted, boozy coffee with a hint of dusty cocoa and the smallest spoon of sugar. Makes me want to make a Starbucks run!

This was a most wonderful gift from my SW; I am ferociously bad at keeping up with what's new, what's great, what's limited and all that, so when I unscrewed the cap of BAH and was surrounded with a coffehouse; a good coffehouse. I was midway into a cuppa joe without venturing to the coffermaker. No whiskey was discernable from my bottle, and once on my wrists the coffee was smooth, and that's all I really get; a slightly smoky, extremely smooth coffee-and that is why I love it so, and am hoarding my beloved bottle!

BAH! 2008 (LE, Goblins of Yuletide Storytime Inquisition: Bah Humbug)

In bottle: Dark chocolate espresso beans with a shot of whiskey. O.o Wet: It really does smell like fresh roasted beans. The chocolate is less pronounced on the skin, but oh boy does the whiskey come out. I didn’t like MU, which smells like coffee breath to me, but Bah is compelling on my skin; sweet, but not too sweet, bracing and a touch dissolute. I used to think I didn’t like coffee colognes, but I think this may just have changed my mind. I still likely wouldn’t buy one as I think this would be too strong for daily wear, but I’m not at all sorry I traded for this. The whiskey/espresso combo really does work beautifully. Dry: OMG. Chocolate and whiskey with the espresso degrading to something between coconut and skin musk. Yum!

Sirensea sent me a sniffie of this (phew, say that five times fast), and I'm very glad to have been able to smell this! It's a very rich coffee that to me has tones of hazelnut, or amaretto. I don't really get a boozy vibe from it. There wasn't enough to test on my skin, so I'm not sure how my chemistry would have interacted with it. I almost get the impression that it might have turned sort of sour after a while, like coffee breath. But as a little sniffie every now and then, it's very fun.

This just smells so amazing. It does. Rich. Luxurious. Delicious. Sweet, thick coffee. Definitely smells like an amazing mocha, better than any I've had the pleasure of tasting/ smelling. :P But my stupid skin chemistry does something horrendous to this gorgeous blend-- it goes sour and plasticky. I let my mom sniff and she wrinkled her nose and yanked her head away, and mind you, she's an avid coffee-lover like I am, too. :( So after finally getting my very own 5ml of Bah, I'm gonna have to put it up for swap. Sigh.

Why have you broken my heart so?

I picked this up for a forum member at the Trunk Show, and after smelling the tester, I decided to get a bottle for myself. It's insane. It smells like fresh coffee with a little bit of chocolate and a teeny tiny bit of booze.

I just got a job at a coffee house, and my friend who used to work for Starbucks said "Don't you just smell like this everyday when you get home form work?" and I said "yeah, but without the sour milk note!"

It's expensive smooth rich coffee. And it's a damn shame this isn't a GC. I could enable 50 people with this.

OMG. I see what all the fuss is about :) I just have a wee sniffie of this, but the bit of oil I applied was an odiferous cloud of dark, rich and sweeet coffee with thick and fluffy clouds of whipped cream and a dash of rich syrup swirled in. Amazing!

Bah! turns into a creamy mocha on me, really nice, and the cream note lasts forever!

I do see what others are reffering to as the burnt coffee note, as it's drying down it turns burning coffee for about 5 minutes, then transforms into lovely wonderful goodness. Yeah.......I have Cupcake Splatter Pattern Analysis.......... and I think i'm getting me a bottle of this.

It smells like thick strong buttery turkish coffee. Not sweet or chocolate or booze.

This is thick, rich and divine. It's definitely true to deep dark coffee, and the booze is there but just a complimentary accent, not overkill. The mocha touch works out great on my skin, but my skin tends to do well with chocolate blends in general. Like with Gluhwein, I'm going to seek out a recipe for something similar to this too. :yum:

In the decant, this is mainly chocolate and coffee, with maybe a hint of whiskey? On my skin, oh yeah, that's coffee alright, with maybe a bit of chocolate lurking underneath. Coffee's taking on almost a burn smell. We'll see how this goes. Yeah, the coffee ends up dominating, but takes on a bit of a burnt scent. Not really for me.

Edited by Venneh

I like this a bunch when it's wet -- dark coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. Not much mocha, and I don't think I can smell any whiskey either. But, when it's dry, it has an odd artificial-smelling scent to it. I got the same sort of strange plastic-y scent from Midway and a few other BPAL perfumes too. There must be some note or some combination that just doesn't do well with my skin chemistry.

I'm uber-picky about coffee scents because I don't like bitter perfumes, and the coffee note has a tendency to be too bitter on me. It's not in this one, which makes me doubly sad about whatever it is that's doing that artificial thing when it's dry. I would have really liked this if it hadn't changed.

Smells exactly like it's described. Mostly coffee but you can tell it's a mocha mix. Not too much whiskey but a hint of booziness at the end.

I'm a foody and fruity person, but this smells too much like a coffee shop. I wouldn't wear it as a perfume. It smells good though, if you are looking for something like that.

I really liked Bah. It smelled like hot coffee, which is a total bonus, in my book. The first application smelled like burnt coffee, however, which may be the whiskey hiding in the background and making everything a little stronger than it should be. Within the hour, I smelled like coffee and cocoa powder, which was divine, but I also smelled like baby powder. Ah, skin chemistry. I loved Bah, but it really didn’t work out for me. Too many reapplications, too much baby powder. Le’sigh.

Hmm....and wow! I just got a decant of this. I do like it!!

Sniff: Does smell like Turkish Coffee...I don't get whiskey, unless it is hidden by the mocha part. Normally I don't do any booze notes, but this is nice!

On Skin: Still get that strong coffee smell, but a good strong. Get a bit of the mocha scent, but it isn't chocolatey..if that makes sense. Must be the "whiskey" note holding it back!

Dry down: Very nice coffee...it smells like the grounds of coffee that have been brewed and they have been sitting a while. It's a very comforting scent to me, but I think a decant is enough! Not that I could find a bottle now, but a bottle would be too much!!

This is the third attempt in my quest to find the perfect roasted coffee scent, and definitely the closest so far. I was fortunate enough to get a 5 mL from the exceedingly generous and lovely razzlecupcake.

Bottle: Coffee predominant, with a good measure of dark chocolate.

On wet: Chocolate comes out strongest; fortunately it's a dark chocolate, so even though it's sweet, it's not so cloying that I have to wash it off.

Drydown to about 45 min: Whiskey! It doesn't smell like I've been drinking whiskey, but rather like the strong, rich, almost caramel scent of bourbon out of the bottle. I like the smell of bourbon, so this isn't a problem for me. Chocolate and coffee have receded, but something is keeping it from being too boozy or sweet. Very sexy.

45 min +: The whole thing starts to fade, but coffee does come back a little bit. Very close to the skin and cozy.

This wasn't the black roasted coffee I was hoping for, but it wasn't too baked goods or candy-foody for me, so I really liked it. A great scent for a gloomy day or a pick-me-up. Glad to have it!

This is strong, sweet coffee at first, with a touch of whipped cream. Dry, no coffee, just a sweet cream scent, quite reminiscent of one of the Mother Shub's Lait de chevre, and another goat's milk blend. I'll update when I remember the name of it. :D Sweet and milky, with a touch of chocolate, and now I want a hot drink with whipped cream in it.

Initially, it is very dark-chocolate and coffee, and there's a little bit of whiskey/Irish cream.

After it warms up a bit it's SUPER creamy, sweet, and cozy. The mocha takes a back seat and it smells more like heavily-creamed, sweetened coffee. I love this scent. LOVE.

The coffee note is not as pronounced as the one in Pumpkin Latte, but it keeps the Irish cream/chocolate from being overwhelming. So far this is the only BPAL with a chocolate note that I can wear!

Testing my decant:

In the decant: It smells so good! Wonderfully sweet mocha coffee!

Wet on the skin: No whiskey smell which is great! I am smelling some french vanilla now actually. It is turning more vanilla latte with a dust of cocoa powder.

Dry: Oh no. It smells plastic! :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: All the coffee and mocha is gone! I'm so sad!