Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RaeiNarcissus

I Fell in Love with a Floating Brain

I FELL IN LOVE WITH A FLOATING BRAIN
Spongy grey and pink cake, with sweet strawberry cream, giddy carnation, and electrical pulses of white grapefruit.

I picked up a bottle of this for a friend, the bottle they had for sampling at Dark Delicacies didn't smell very appealing. As i'm pulling the bubble wrap out I decide to smell it, and this bottle smells really nice, so I try it, and then put in in bubble wrap and seal it in a package.

My goodness, it smells wonderful! It's strawberry sponge cake.. with this layer of something a little .... grey over it, I think that's the grey sponge cake they were talking about. It really smells good, and it's not one of those foody scents that goes away quickly either! 6 hours later it's a little faded, not strawberry sponge cakey anymore, rather reminding me a lot of Beaver Moon 07, strawberry and sugar being very light on my skin.

But I just mailed the package.......... *sigh* :P Just means i'm going back sometime this month to Dark Delicacies.

I read my daughter the descriptions of the Dark Delicacies scents and after the first one, "I fell in love with a floating brain", without even looking up from her coloring, she said "That one". lol. She picked a winner! Ok, Ill do my best

In bottle: Like opening a box of strawberry frosted cupcakes, almost too sweet.. almost.

Wet, you get strawberry syrup & cupcakes, you can truly smell that there are two different kinds of cakes in here. Not picking up the grapefruit at all, but then maybe my nose doesnt want too, its enjoying the cupcake smell (Ive been on a diet too long). And the carnation, I can smell it a teeeny bit as it dries, like petals strewn in among the cupcakes for decoration.

Have I mentioned that I want to bite my own hand off at this point?

The grapefruit is a little more prominent after a bit- like you figured out the secret ingredient in the strawberry syrup filling... If I pass my nose back and forth over my hand.. you gotta look for it. Theres also more carnation, it adds a bit of spice at this point. Both are just adding to the overall yummy-ness of the scent (for want of a better word)

after a few hours it does fade quite a bit, with just the cakes and a tiny bit of the strawberry still hanging in there. Like that last Zinger you left in the bottom of your purse and wonder where that smell is coming from. No, this is a thousand times better than a zinger. Methinks they need to open a bakery.

As Zoe wears this pretty much every day to school- I will be ordering my own bottle.

Edited by Tigrrrlily

mmmm.....cakes (and it does smell like there are 2 different cakes) with strawberry and a hint of spice (maybe the carnation)? Not much of the grapefruit that I can tell, though that could be what's in the background keeping this from going sickly sweet. It reminds me of something from when I was a kid, maybe a doll I use to have (without the plastic smell). I can't stop sniffing myself. LOL

It doesn't seem to morph that much and I'm still not getting much of the grapefruit, which is really fine with me. It's yummy the way it is. For some reason it reminds me of Huesos on crack or a much much better version of Sticky Pillowcase (which I didn't really like). Or maybe if the 2 mated, this would be their spawn. Like when 2 ugly people create the most beautiful baby.

I normally prefer my foodie scents super spicy, but I love this one. I don't think I need a back up bottle, but I am definitely keeping the one I have. :P

Edited by Femme_Fatale

another great label in this series, first off. second, as i mentioned in another review, this oil came wrapped in it's very own BPAL velveteen "imp" pouch. can i say "LOVE"?! :P now the review...

in the bottle: super yummy strawberry creme and a hint of tart grapefruit, much like the citrus from Bigger Critter. :D

wet on skin: holy. moly. for a foodie like me, this is shaping up to be one of those "holy grail" BPAL scent experiences. Strawberry cake, whipped cream and a grapefruit candied garnish. nomnomnom :D

dry down: a beautiful mix of sweet white cake, strawberry creme and a little bit of sugar. :D

in all: not too sweet, light throw and totally blended from the first, this is foodie paradise, and the one that just might get a non-foodie to change camps! :( love. love. love.

:D

I just love this label! The font is so cute.

In the bottle: buttery and fruity

Wet: Mmmm, some kind of sweet citrus, I think it is grapefruit, butter, and strawberry. At least, I think that is strawberry. Maybe it's more of a pinkberry scent. Mmmm that other berry though, I think it is currant? What an interesting and lovely combination! So edible. But sort of light and bubblegummy too.

Dry: This is almost like Teenage Cannibal's drydown, but not spicy. Plus pinkberry (like strawberry but not quite) and a powdered sugar note. Oooo! That's what this is reminding me of. It smells similar to Marshmallow Poof too. Like Marshmallow Poof and Teenage Cannibal baked some crumpets together and covered them in currant.

On further drydown the sweet smell is almost all I can smell. It took at least 10-20 minutes to do that. I think I'll do like with Cannibal and put it in a scent locket most of the time so I can enjoy it longer.

I LOVE it! :P

Edited by Tempest

I haven't tried any vintage of Beaver Moon yet, but oh wow. This scent makes me so happy. (And not just because I got to draw a robot brain. Though it might be a factor.)

Smells like strawberry cupcakes! Or strawberry shortcake. Something warm and delicious and cakey and covered with strawberry! This is already a pretty serious favorite of mine and it just arrived today. I want to have a bath in it. I'm in love.

I was so excited about getting this one (well, I got 2 bottles)

To me it smells like Pink Phoenix and Lush's Yummy Yummy Yummy.....with a hint of grapefruit.

It's a keeper!

I'm a person who doesn't get too excited about cake and cookie scents, and who usually runs the other way at the word "strawberry."

but despite all of that... even I FELL IN LOVE WITH A FLOATING BRAIN!

The cake here seems to be heavy on the vanilla, instead of heavy on buttery notes, which may be a key to why it works so well on my skin. The strawberry is the most natural and genuine strawberry note I've smelled in any perfume, and its sweetness is balanced by the grapefruit and carnation - I don't so much smell those two notes distinctly as perceive their tempering, complementary effects on the strawberry.

There are so many beloved strawberry scents that ultimately didn't work on me - Pink Moon, Strawberry Moon, Beaver Moon 07 - I think the only strawberry scent that worked on me until now was Maenad, and I wonder if the spicy, dry carnation and poppy are the factors that make it calm down. Since the iffy-on-strawberry me loves this blend so much, I think anyone who loves strawberry will need a bottle (if not two or three :P ) of this scent.

This is SUCH a yummy scent. When I saw the description I knew it was up my alley!

To me, this is a Pink version of Huesos De Santos. The cake note is almost exactly the same to my nose. But instead of an orange cake with anise, this is a strawberry frosted sponge cake with hints of carnation and grapefruit. Sweet and pink and nomtastic!

oh i love it! it's a little bit Cheshire moon, a little bit beaver moon, a tiny bit strawberry moon (but NOT plastic-y) and just a wee drop of carnation SN. It's sweet but not too, the citrus is balanced with the sweetness and the carnation makes it just spicy enough. it's what i would consider a mild scent w/ citrus being dominant at first and the warm carnation being more dominant later. love it!

I FELL IN LOVE WITH A FLOATING BRAIN

Wet: Moist, soft cake with ripe strawberry. Tiny bits of carnation. Somewhat sharp.

Dry: Pink cake, sweet strawberry amp up along with some white grapefruit...there's a bit of an "jolt" of carnation from time to time...when I sniff it really close it's there, when I pull my nose few inches away then it's all pink strawberry cake with grapefruit. Less heady, getting smooth and creamy.

Verdict: Sweet, girlie, bubbly with soft creamy appeal. Very glad the cake and cream stand out more so than the citrus. Swoon!

In the bottle: Citrus. I definitely get a whiff of the strawberry and grapefruit with a hint of yummy cakey goodness.

Wet: Strawberry shortcake. YUM!

Dry: Vanilla cake. No more strawberry or grapefruit. Just vanilla cake but it is sooo good. I definitely need another bottle of this.

I got my bottle of this yesterday, and after letting it settle decided it would be good to wear out. In the bottle the strawberry cake is what my nose senses first, and then something a little sharper. Wet it becomes cake w/ strawberry cream. On drydown it is a cream cake w/ strawberries but not the supersweet ones, I am assuming that is the grapefruit that is taming them. Overall a very happy experience.

On first whiff this is very much like Sticky Pillowcase poured over sour cream pound cake. Delish.

I don't get much of the grapefruit note, but the strawberry and carnation are both lovely: Sweet one sniff, sharp the next. All over spongy cake. :P

In the Bottle: Moist lemon pound cake. At this point I can sense the strawberry, but it's really only lending a sweetness, the cake and grapefruit are strongest.. don't really consciously sense the carnation.

Wet: The strawberry amps, as does the carnation.. it's sort of a weird combo. The grapefruit is definitely still present, it's almost metallic behind that sweet strawberry.

Dry: Spicy strawberry cake! I do really love this, and am thinking about a backup bottle

This smells like sweet cupcakes in the bottle, with a hint of grapefruit. On me it smells like strawberry cupcakes, straight up foodie. I didn't get any of the carnation.

I Fell in Love with a Floating Brain

I got this one as part of a decant group and figured it'd be my second-least favorite because I'm not into food scents. Boy was I wrong. It's strawberry cake with a touch of spice and I :P it. How'd that happen? It's fantastic and I ordered a bottle.

This doesn't morph on me at all; wet, dry, and drydown it's strawberry shortcake. If I put my nose up and huff, I can get a faint hint of the spicyness of the carnation and some citrus, but only if I really huff. It's delicious and I'm in love :P

I was so excited about this one!!! :D And I am not dissapointed. I've been wearing it today and I catch myself looking around for whatever smells sooooo good and then it turns out to be me!!! I definatly get the cake right off the bat but it really mellows out on my skin and then blends wonderfully with the strawberry cream. At the same time it's a bit spicy probably from the carnation and the grapfruit. It's just great. It's extreamly fun and girly I'm so glad I got a bottle. :P

Also one of my co-workers today keeps saying how great I smell, and when we went into our meeting she even said to another co-worker doesn't she smell good. :D

Wet, this smells like a cereal I can't quite place, maybe one they don't even make any more ... it's fruity, berry-y, but also grain-y, like a bowl of cereal.

Drying, it turns into strawberry candy, very sweet and sugary.

After a bit, it settles into strawberry syrup or strawberry Quik, with a creamy undertone that makes me think of milk or ice cream.

I ordered two bottles of this'n, and one of them leaked in transit, so the whole box smelled like delicious strawberry shortcake.

Smelling this scent in the bottle, I immediately thought, “Wow. This is beautiful.” I smell a soft, warm vanilla cake note with baked sugar edges, tart strawberry, and vanilla ice cream. I was worried that the strawberry would smell cloying or fake, but it doesn’t. It really smells like true to life strawberries. Of all the strawberry scents I own, this smells the most like real strawberries, and not just strawberry candy.

On my skin, it’s much the same, but the grapefruit adds a little citrus zing to the blend. It’s all warm vanilla cake smothered in freshly sliced strawberries, and covered in a mix of vanilla ice cream and a hint of citrus zest :D. I can’t pick out the carnation most of the time.

After two hours, the cake note is fading away along with the citrus, but the tart strawberries and smooth cream linger on my skin for about three more hours. All in all, it smells very girly and innocent on me (which is the impression that I always get from strawberry scents), and I like it a lot.

I'm really happy with how well the strawberry plays out on me here, never going hyper-sweet and cloying. The blend is definitely foodie and sweet, but it's not so sweet that it makes me feel ill. My boy usually doesn't care for the foodie scents, but he gave Floating Brain a 7 out of 10 score.

I like Mutant Hot-Rodders more than Floating Brain, but the Brain is my second favorite of the B movies :P.

mmm carnation.. A note i never would have picked as liking and yet, its gorgeous.

This is soft creamy strawberry to me. The cake note is there as well and the carnation is more apparent in the dry down. After the soft wear length of the strawberry in Beaver 07 i was a bit worried about this one, but i had no reason to be, the wear length is great. In terms of notes the closest thing i have to this one is Monsterbait closet, although this is nowhere as 'syrupy'. Floating brain is everything i hoped it would be an i'm very happy to have 2 bottles!

:P

The grapefriut note, a loved one of mine. is a total work of genious in this cake blend, it adds freshness and it reachs perfection with the light carnation touch. The strawberry is there too, but this blend is so much more enjoyable than a classic cake one, it`s citrus, fruit and sweets dancing tango together.

yummy fluffy cake with a refreshing citrus twist- very sweet and sugary, but not gooey! the citrus is just there to brighten things up a bit. as someone who doesn't "do" foody scents, this is astonishingly wearable.