Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

GOP

Gift with purchase of the forum-only Election 2008 scents. No description available.

GOP! What does that stand for again? Something octopus something, right? I was hoping to get this one because I heard it might be woody. It does have a bit of a woody cologne feeling. It is masculine and, yes, conservative, but more of the polished wood of a boardroom wall than a wild wood. There is a musk in here -- maybe not dark musk, but a clean, smooth musk, anchoring some light woods, perhaps sandalwood and the slightest hint of a masculine spice. Very clean and formal, and as it dries it becomes a warm, musky scent suitable for nuzzling. Like taking out a suit that has hung in a warm wooden wardrobe and pressing your face against it. I prefer masculine scents and while this is a bit more cologney than my tastes usually run, I am still fond of it.

To me this smells like staid, stiff old men. It's a little woody, a little boozy, and ends up going super sweet on me, to the point of being cloying. Like the real GOP, it's just not for me :P

I didn't want to like this one (it's the GOP afterall....shudder), but I am ashamed to admit....I do. At first it is more on the masculine side, but then developes into a slightly sweet, woodsy scent with a hint of musk. It's really very unisex and gorgeous on both me and dh.

I will definitely keep and wear this, while just ignoring the name. :P

Having never voted Republican in my life due to the socially reactionary platform, the name is something to get past - but the perfume is better thank OK. My guess at the ingredients are: aromatic wood such as cedar or cypress, bourbon, dirt/vetiver (maybe a political statement there?) and something sweet such as vanilla.

Such a nice scent for such an off-putting name. Channeling Lincoln while huffing ....

I'll wear it as often as it lets me, assuming this GOP allows me to have a choice!!

Edited by themerrybaker

So, I had to try a drop of this one after I received it with my order of Tabella, and this scent doesn't seem to agree with me. Thankfully!

It does smell pretty woodsy. Not evergreen woodsy though. More like a wooden desk. I also think there might be some vetiver somewhere underneath the wood. After awhile, it turns a bit sweet.

I am glad I got this as a frimp. It really isn't anything I would ever wear myself though.

I think that this is my favorite of the political imps, but I’m not sure what exactly is in it. It smells like a wonderful, warm, men’s cologne type of smell on me. Perhaps there are some dry woods, spice and vanilla in this one? In the drydown, it gets a bit muskier than I would have loved, but I still like it. I like it a lot on my boy, so I'll probably pass along the imp to him.

I get strong sandalwood from this at first, then it mellows with a whiff of cologne and maybe a very slightly touch of tobacco smoke. I like it, although it is extremely masculine, and I say that as someone who really enjoys and regularly wears many traditionally masculine scents.

I have no idea what GOP stands for, so I can enjoy this scent in ignorant bliss :P

In the imp, very masculine. On, the same, but about 20 minutes later, I kept getting this wonderful whiff of gorgeous sweet woods, still masculine and cologny, but in a good way.

I think the woodsey thing that this scent has going on is acting just like the evergreens that hate me so much. Even getting past the name... *lol* If it had worked for me, I would have admitted it. But unfortunately, I get overwhelmed with the feeling that someone is beating me over the head with aromatic boards. Um. No. Actually... having been around sawmills as a child (my dad worked in one) it smells like uncured wood, which is always a little more sharp and a little less smooth. I know I like woody smells in general, but I think the difference between the cured wood smells and the sappy-sharp smell of freshly cut wood in this scent is what's putting me off here.

But an interesting experiment, none the less. Much appreciated, Lab, even if it didn't work out for me. This one is off to swaps, along with Tabella.

--Edited to make a little more sense.

Edited by Seadreamer

I agree that GOP starts out masculine. I don't like what happens after it dries and settles. I can smell vanilla but after a millisecond, the scent turns artificial and off-putting. It reminds me of play doh.

GOP does start out fairly masculine, with a fairly polished woodsy scent with curls of cigar smoke. It smells moneyed, powerful. There's a splash of cologne in this mix as well. After about an hour, the drydown is a smidge powdery, like the guy has grown a potbelly from too many good dinners.

Imp: It has a slight cirtusy wood polish feel. Perhaps like old furniture.

Wet: The woody scent is much stronger...sort of piney. Sort of powdery too. I agree with other reviewers...masculine.

Dry: It is actually a nice soft woodsy masculine cologne. A little spicy. Hmmmm...actually very nice.

Musk, vetiver, woods and spices to my nose. I could tell immediately that it was way too manly to work on me but that my husband would love it. And he does! But he'll never admit to wearing GOP. Or at least the name. :lol:

GOP

In the imp: tobacco, whisky and vetiver.

Wet on skin: cigars. This smells like expensive cigars, and a gentleman’s club.

Dry on skin: cigars and pipes, this is really heavy on the tobacco. I smell both the dry yet dark smell of big fat Cuban cigars, and the sweeter, stickier pipe tobacco. I also smell strong booze, like whisky or bourbon. There’s a smoky scent to it, probably from the tobacco, but I suspect that there’s also a hint o vetiver lurking in the background. I also smell woods, a bit like the woods in Riding the Goat. This gives off serious ‘gentleman’s club’ vibes, it smells like a gathering of older (and rich) men.

After a while: the tobacco in here has amped up so much, it’s choking me (almost). This is way too tobacco-y for me to handle now. It smells like cigars and cigarettes and their ashes all gathered in an ashtray, and a wood-panelled room filled with thick smoke. it also smells like something burning. I am reminded of Black Lace’s tobacco, but whereas that scent had a lovely vanilla musk to it, this lacks that cosy sweetness, this is just pure tobacco. Maybe a bit of wood too, but almost all tobacco.

Verdict: this is my least favourite of the party scents. I don’t know what GOP stands for but I think the elephant (on the label) is the Republican symbol, so I guess this is their scent. It’s not very nice on me. it’s very heavy on the tobacco, and smells like an unhealthy amount of cigars and pipes and their smoke lingering in a stuffy room. Thick tobacco smog and cognac and whisky and old worn woods, it’s also very masculine as a scent. I get something similar from Riding the Goat, but I prefer that one because the tobacco is lighter and there’s incense in it. this is too much of a tobacco overload for me.

Emoticon rating: :(

Is it a keeper? No.

If you like this, try: Uncertain Horror, Love and Pain, Riding the Goat, Hellfire, Toad

Hmm.. this was a somewhat spicy scent on me, heavy with something like patchouli. It does settle down a bit to become a more woodsy scent, and there's definitely a feel of mens' cologne.. meh, not really for me.

Goldenrod coloured oil. Citrus, herbs, dry woods. A little boozy.

Sweet orange and cypress make up the citrusy/herbal aspects. Something smoky comes out, maybe a little vetiver too as this is a bit cologney, definitely masculine. A little tobacco, perhaps a cigar note? I also get some De Sade style sharp leather. I think teak is one of the woods, as well as sandalwood.

This is getting very sweet and heavy and amping like crazy on my skin. I get a whopping dose of black musk (how appropriate) and maybe some tonka or benzoin, and the vetiver and cigar notes really amp. I agree with others who suggest the booze is whiskey - it has that sour-sharp element. Reminds me a bit of John Barleycorn.

Drydown is too-sweet, the black musk and tonka and teak are just overwhelming, and then the sharp leather, stale cigar, and vetiver don't help at all. However, I am really glad I don't like this scent! Very strong throw and longevity.

I'm getting a spicy woodsy & smoky, slightly boozy scent. I get a little citrus too. I'd agree with the above reviews of this being characterized as whiskey and cigars.

I really like woody scents, even if I can't wear them. They're very comforting, and in a way this reminds me of my grandfather. It smells like a finely polished wooden cabinet. There's a hint of vetiver, but not very much. I never would have thought "citrus," but since other people have mentioned it, I can see where they're coming from. Maybe bergamot? If a man smelled like this, I'd probably want to jump him -- but then again, I'm a Democrat who tends to have a thing for Republican boys. :)

EDIT: I just re-read this, and can we just ignore the fact that I mentioned my grandfather and jumping guys who smelled like this all in the same review? Thaaaaanks.

Edited by kikithepirate

GOP - I like a lot of woody scents, but this one just smelled dank and awful. It's heavy, rotting wood. There's nothing sweet or cologne-like in it on my skin. It's just icky, heavy, rotting wood.

:::GOP:::

Without the notes available, the interpretations of the fragrance that is GOP will be immodestly speculative, at best. The reviewers have, thus far, done impessively well with conveying the impressions that can be anticipated from an Imp-load of this mind-fruit...Overall, the Lab has successfully accomplished an olfactory, souped-up pantomime of GOP.

From the Imp: This is alot like Bourbon or Brandy. Boozy is a great adjective.

There is also a zesty amount of Lemon peel and something that, at this phase, smells like a subtle dusting of Cedar.

Huffing GOP from the Imp keeps the same impression. After a while something that could be either Clove or Cassia is just perceptible at the periphery.

All of these compliment the overall insinuations of a pricey men's cologne with a Citrus/Leather base.

Wet on the Skin: GOP evolves a greater depth of spice now. A creamier consistency ebbs from the pores with elements of Resin, Balsam and Sandalwood (Rosewood?) suspended in an emulsion of either Ambergris, Amber, or Tonka Bean...

The Tobacco element is nice. It is experienced by way of being the proverbial fly on the wall as the Wolf-Pack saunters into the humidor. This is a sweet cigar or pipe tobacco. This has yet to diplay any of the sulfurous smokiness that might have it associated with cigarettes.

DryDown Phase: GOP still renders a one-two punch of Men's Fragrance, but more in the way of a costly lotion.

GOP leans alot more toward and Amber base with Cinnamon, Tobacco, Leather, Gold, Orange, and Balsam.

GOP is a troubling hybrid of swanky and skanky.

GOP is a cackling fistful of cold, hard currency.

GOP is unctious.

This is the creepy psycho in a power-tie.

Beelzebub in a Bentley.

Despite the seedier and greedier associations, GOP is phenomenal.

This is, pretty much, a must-have for BPAL fans that are of the bloke persuasion.

Put your money on a high percentage of The Girls liking this in spite of themselves.

Excelsior!

Effortlessly a 5 out of 5!

First sniff: Cloyingly sweet floral. Hrm.

Wearing: I’m really trying not to let my opinion of the party influence my opinion of the scent, but this reminds me of a certain politician’s personality… it’s fake-sweet and cutesy, but underneath there’s just not much there.

Wet: Woods. In a good way. A tiny bit of amber, maybe? Some sandalwood? I DON'T KNOW!

Dry: Dang. Morphed into a bad woods scent. Cedar, is that you? Dangit.

1/5

I can't believe I haven't written a review of this yet.

I got GOP as a random frimp in a BPTP order I placed. Who knew it would be the only one of the 'political' blends I could stand.

When I first put it on wet, it smells...pretty much exactly like whiskey and cigars. Which makes sense for the blend, I guess, but isn't very appealing. Soggy cigar tobacco is, frankly, pretty icky.

HOWEVER. And this is the important bit. The acrid cigar stink goes away pretty fast, and what's left smells like... SUCCESS. It's like the Old Fogy Republicans got cleared out and replaced by the New Upwardly Mobile Republicans. I suppose that's not very clear, so... hm.

I don't honestly have any notes for this. It's a bit herbal and cologney, in an unspecified fashion... a bit woody, but clean and sweet without being perfumey or foody. I'm pretty sure it has bay rum in it too. I suppose the reason I like it, is that it smells good -without- being overly strong in one particular way... not too sweet or too acrid or soapy or anything. I really do think of it as 'an office scent' because it's pleasant without being something that will distract your co-workers (either positively or negatively).

Now if I could only make it not smell like soggy cigars for the first 15m it'd be -perfect-.

Gifted this in a purchase by the most generous seller who sent some really hard-to-find and unusual scents. I confess that as a died-in-the-wool Democrat I figured I would not POSSIBLY like this scent ... but ...

IN THE IMP: Light and dark (hahaha), but overall a lovely slightly sweet yet strong resiny spice.

Dabbed on the wrist and in the crook because I loves me my resins.

WET: Just ... great! I'd vote for this! Clean and sexy and yet subdued, not in your face at all. And thank GOD I did not get ANY of the booze, which can be a real deal breaker on me.

DRYDOWN: I just love sniffing my wrist. It's subtle and lovely and something I could wear to work because it's so light it would be my little secret. Though I'd never admit the name if anyone asked.

OVERAL: A shocking keeper. Yay! On a scale of 1-5 I g 4.25.