Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allidavie

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo

Bottled happiness. Helps reverse misfortune, brings light and laughter to even the most troubled and discordant place, and aids in alleviating the stress and discontent that accompanies so many of life's daily trials.

I'm trying an imp labelled Auntie Caroline's Joy Mojo which I got as a gift recently. This is my first BPAL review.

In the bottle: Oranges and strawberries. It reminds me a little of the strawberry essential oil I had when I was a teenager. In fact, I can probably compare them later, because I still have some of that strawberry essential oil, though it may have changed a lot in the intervening years.

Wet: Oranges still, but the strawberry goes odd, almost plastic-like. Also there's something under those notes, something not quite amber, not quite buttery, but something mid-range or deeper. Hm. I am not good at describing scents yet.

As it dries: Whatever the middle or lower note is, it's coming out more strongly. The strawberry is fainter now. There's still a bunch of citrus. The plastic-like note is very faint, and it reminds me of a similar note in Dream Cream conditioner from Lush.

Not Quite an Hour Later: It's lost a lot of the stronger notes, and smells a little like a freshly-baked sugar cookie next to a glass one-quarter full of orange juice. Still a tiny bit of plastic, but as I forgot to mention, I actually grew to like Dream Cream's weird smell, so this is not completely off-putting. It's mostly a pleasant warm food-like smell, not very strong. It's all right, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

A Bit Over Two and a Half Hours Later: Aww. It's pretty much all gone. There's a very faint warm scent, sort of vanilla-y, but hardly anything, really.

Opinion: Moderately pleasant, but not a lot of staying power, and nothing that really grabs me. I am indifferent about this scent. (But I'm really pleased and touched by the gift of it.)

Will probably test again sometime and make a decision on keeping it or trading it. Most likely is trading it.

Later: However, I notice that I have had a really good mood all day. Hmm! I think I'll keep this around. And I'm twice as grateful for the gift, now! Thank you, good person who sent it to me!

ADDED 9/30/08:

Candy-sweet on me too, but it's so cheerful that I like it, even with the too-much-sweet-fruitiness. Also, it reminds me of a sweet person who sent it to me, so yay for that.

And it makes me joyful. So it lives up to its name.

ETA: Oops. Hadn't realized I reviewed this once before. Sorry! Edited by Shollin

Bottle (Imp): This smells fresh, maybe citrusy, and bubbly.

Just On: As soon as I get it on, it starts to change just a bit. It's still fresh, and bubbly, but now it's much sweeter. I can't identify any specific notes, but it's very nice.

An hour or two later: Yummy, sweet berries and citrus scents bubbling together. It smells rather like some of the homemade potpourri I used to make with all sorts of leftovers fruits in the house. It makes me smile when I sniff it.

Around 6 hours: Very much sweet berries and some citrus mixed in. Maybe a grape-y smell as well? A lovely scent, and I can see why it's called Joy Mojo, as it does make me feel more joyful. This is gonna hit the big bottle list.

12 hours: I still have berries, a hint of citrus, and grapes on me, and I love it. This is lasting well beyond what I thought it would, being so light.

Overall: This has popped right up into my top ten. It's very sweet, and extremely lovely on me. I may hav swapped the imp, but I"ll be buying a bottle as soon as I get past my CN excitement.

After reading other reviews: Yep, it's similar on me to other folks... sweet and very happiness-inspiring. Whoever said you can't be depressed wearing this is right, as fas as I'm concerned. With the neighbor issues I have, I'm going to have to pick up more of this ASAP.

joymojo.jpg

Out of the bottle: candy sweet and that yum-yum plastic-vanilla smell backing it up. I am thinking that the "yum-yum plastic-vanilla smell" is a staple in the voodoo blends, and it has become a bell-weather of good things to me.

I detect a little bit of tobacco lurking in the background and no basil.

I love this smell, it's a lot like Van Van with candy. Does it bring happiness? Well, it does if you let it. That's the point, isn't it? It ain't so much the magic, it's the mindset. But we knew that before Freud, didn't we?

This is a favorite! I like it even better than Snake Oil. I've also got some interesting male attention, behind this one!

'

Starts out sweet-and-tart sitrus.. like sweet oranges, with an edge of maybe apricot. Then, it goes into what friends describe as an incredibly rich vanilla, or a luciously baking yellow cake.

Can't swear to the voodoo powers, yet. But, the first time I wore it, was one of the happiest days of the year. :P

ADDED Dec. 16:

Smells JUST like pineapple upside-down cake, on me. But.... I like it, and other people like it on me. :D

I was hoping for more of a cotton candy type scent, but this does turn into Juicy Fruit chewing gum. Not what I expected, but it’s still nice.

In the imp it smells like gum, but with more pronounced pineapple notes. Not super acidic pineapple, sugar coated pineapple backed by vanilla. This stays pretty much the same from the wet stage to the dry stage. I like this, but it’s not one of my favorites. This is more of an oil I would have to be in the mood for it.

I did use this in my oil burner when I needed an uplifting, cheerful scent. My room smelled like candy for several days. It did make me smile while it lasted.

ETA: My 4 year old cousin loved this; I made a little tub of lotion scented with ACJM. She calls it her `Princess Perfume' :P

Also, after letting the imp sit for awhile, it loses the bublegum scent and smells more like marshmallows. Very nice! I think I want a few more imps of this.

Edited by slugbait

I'm not sure I can add more to these reviews:

Wet: Just like bubblegum. But not offensive or cloying. Just cheerful..

Dry: Still sweet, but slightly floral, like a flower water.

Hours later: A soft, sweet scent. Marshmellows are close but I think Yankee Candle Store is a better description. A melange of soft, sweet scents, merged into one.

I used this after having a massive fight and wow, did it fix things! Maybe it was psychosomatic, but I was instantly cheered up and called my girlfriend to make up. It's her new favorite fragrance. :)

In Bottle: Bubblegum.

On Skin: I bought this scent, Siren, and Lolita since all 3 were said to smell like cotton candy. Sadly, none of them do on me. They all smell like bubblegum. Siren is the most adult of the 3… Aunt Caroline is pure bubblegum with something a little odd in the back ground… almost dirt or earth like. I like the scent, it does seem happy, but in a childlike way. Candy coated happiness as opposed to pure true refreshing happiness.

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo does smell like bubblegum, it is bright and cheerful. I reached for my imp this morning because I went to bed last night upset and woke up even more upset about my BF's reaction to our one-year anniversary (long story for another thread). I didn't want to be in the dumps all day so I decided to try the Joy Mojo out and I have to say by mid-morning I was definitely feeling better and much more optimistic about things. Not sure if it is just the power of suggestion but I'm giving the Joy Mojo a thumbs up for doing what Beth advertised. :P

Hellooooo bubblegum fairy!

In the bottle: sticky pink molten candy - of the hard variety that's been stuck to pavement on a hot summer's day and is now running freely.

Wet: Amped cherries, amped strawberry, amped pink chewing gum and lollipops and every single bit of pink sugary goodness I attribute to both childhood and raves... which aren't entirely different depending on who you talk to.

Drydown: Much the same in the scent department, though it softens up a bit.

Throw: Medium

Reapplication: 3 hour stretches

Effectiveness: I loaded myself with Aunt Carloyn a couple of days ago when I hit a particularly rough patch. I wasn't feeling particularly great in the emotional department - within half an hour of application my mood was elevated somewhat.

Were I to wear this on a day when I wasn't feeling particularly blue - it might make me neurotic - in a good, glued-to-the-ceiling sort of way, of course.

One of my resident favourites.

In the Bottle: Sweet but smells like nail polish remover.

On Skin: There is something citrusy to it. It makes me think of fruit cake. Like baked goods and fruit and oranges. Which I suppose is better than bubblegum explosion or nail polish remover.

On Drydown: Fruity. Although at first sniff, it smelled like just boiled noodles. Could my nose be wrong today?

Verdict: It's a very odd changing scent but very happy. I'm not sure I'll wear it.

joymojo.jpg

In the Bottle: Orange, bubblegum and licorice. Very interesting.

On skin, wet: Grapefruits and gingerbread. Drool.

Drying: Sweeter fruit than grapefruit, now, and the spicy bite of gingerbread has backed off a little. Hmmmmm….You know what this smells like? Pfefferneuse cookies!!!!!! The german cookies made with black pepper, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, anise, vanilla and citrus! And covered in powdered sugar. This is Christmas, and Christmas certainly =joy. This stays Christmas cookie on me for the duration, and occasionally wafts marshmallows, bubblegum, even a bit of a floral at times! What a crazy adventure. Very entertaining scent!

Overall: This is very fun, and certainly invokes joy. Too sweet/foody for me normally, but I could see myself throwing this on when I need to go Christmas shopping. I think I'll keep the imp around and test its layering possibilities. This almost reminded me of a more candyish, but quixotically less syrupy snake oil.

Yum.

edited: I got another imp of this, and its still got a hint of pfefferneusse/grapefruit to my nose, but its REALLY different. Much more pink fruit/bubblegum/cotton candy than my last imp. Its still super happy and yum.

Edited by jewelbug

My skin loved this.

It smells like fruit juice with an amber base - sort of a velvety berries and melon scent, with an ever-so-faint tartness.

I didn't get any of the bubble gum note other people got, it never turned to plastic & it never turned to cough syrup (the big three hazards of fruity oils.)

This lasted for hours on me - if anything, it got stronger as time went by. I got no skin irritation, and no sneezing.

Best of all, I tried this out on a day when I was really teary, and the sadness suddenly lifted & I got on with my day.

This will have a special place of honor in my perfume box. Love it, love it, love it.

Olympia301 hit the nail on the head with her description of

a lot like van van with candy...perfect!!

That is soooooo it!! I adore this beautiful blend....lasts forever and brings

me some major good mojo!!

This is a big bottle order most def!!! :P

Today is the day to test Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo - the name itself makes me smile :D And I could use a good dose of it's bottled happiness!

When I first tested ACJMojo, about a year ago, I didn't like it, thought it was too sweet but also realized it would be a good idea to put it aside and let both time & water pass under that Mojo Joy bridge.

A few weeks ago, acting on sheer impulse, I fossicked around in my BPAL basket and found my imp of Joy Mojo.

I opened it up put some in my candle burner and just for good measure around my neck and have been basking in the sunny embrace of Aunt Caroline's Joy ever since!

It has become a staple in my scent diet these days and obvioulsy my little imp just isn't going to make it - so a 10 ml bottle is being added to my next order :D

What changed? Well for starters my whole awareness of fragrance for one, I like to think I evolved! BPAL has been a real education for me and I have loved every experimental minute of it. :P

Aunt Caroline has the sweetness of berries and cherries, it's color seems very happy-go-lucky cherry red to me (even though it isn't) with an amber-like base note under it that may be common to the voo doo catagory.

It lasts all day and things seem bright and cheery!

Edited by fragrantgrasse

I love this stuff! :D :D I wear it whenever I need a little boost, or whenever I want to thank the Universe for her blessings to me and mine. I also spritz a little of it on when I need to request a favor of her. I sprayed some on Brian as he was on his way out the door to a job interview a few weeks ago -- and he was offered the job on the spot. Seriously. I'm not saying the ACJM made it so -- but it put him in the right frame of mind to seriously kick some ass at the interview, and that made all the difference. :D

Needless to say, I'll be wearing it to all of MY job interviews - hopefully some will be this week. :P Wish me luck!

I've been using the imp I got as a swap for the last few weeks -- fortunately I ordered a bottle with my last Lab order also, because I just cannot get enough of it. :D

Gneef! Smarties! Lots and lots of them! A veritable kiddie pool full of Smarties!

Actually, that IS my idea of a good time.

Not for wearing, it's too sweet for me to even approach my wrists. But I do think it would make great bath bombs!

My Impression:

WOW...This was a frimp from the lab (many thanks) and is it quite lovely. In agreement with earlier reviews I tried this today as I needed a smile. And true to its description wala :P A very unique blend and much admired. My scale of 1-5

I Love this, if only that it makes me feel happy for putting it on. Its sweet and very pink - it’s a pink scent which is good as I love all things pink! Must get a 5ml of this!

A fruity bubblegum scent! The fruit shows itself first, followed closely by the distinct pink bubblegum note. There's something else there as well, something a little smoother and creamier underneath. Very sweet, very happy, very foody. It's great, it does make me feel happy and I really love it.

I received this as part of a very generous swap from OriginalWacky. It is indeed very cheerful and uplifting--I was wearing this yesterday when I was driving across town, and saw a vanity plate that said "KUMQUAT" and started laughing hysterically because kumquat is such a cool-sounding word, and it seems really silly to have it on your license plate, and also I was wearing a fruity citrus-y scent which was a major coincidence!!! Hahahahahahahaha!!!! Whoa.

It smells a lot like oranges on me--oranges with something sweeter, maybe a sliced orange with confectioner's sugar scattered around it. A really delicious and bright scent. Not at all too strong (like orange cleaner).

I think I prefer March Hare for fruity (a little more rounded and less light), but this really is wonderful & joyous.

First sniff: Wow, this is bubblegummy. It’s the same pink bubblegum from Jailbait, with a heaping helping of bright fruit.

Wearing: I don’t know about this one. It’s sort of nondescript on my skin – no aura, and I don’t get much sense of it when I sniff my wrists. It’s still vaguely sweet, but… the Mojo just didn’t grab me.

In the bottle:

Sweet and bubblegummy

On me:

I had to try this on twice, because the first time I didn't get much from it other than a slight fruity sweetness and after reading the reviews, I really wanted to smell this cotton candy like note. The second time, I finally got it. This is slightly fruity, but I can't identify WHAT fruit to be honest. It just has that general fruity thing going on. But more than that, it DOES smell like cotton candy and sugar. It has that sugary pink thing going on. ANyone who is a fan of the perfume called "Pink Sugar" would probably find this to be a great compliment to it.

Final note:

I'm not usually into sweet or fruity smells, but this is so fun and appealing. I'm so glad I gave this a second chance, because I hated it the first time, and now I love it. It's not something I'd wear on ar egular basis, but it sure is a mood lifter!

I had the same sort of paradoxical reaction to Aunt Caroline's JM as I did to Black Cat - it made me feel very put-upon and oppressed instead of bright or uplifted. I think the person above who said 'smothering' described my experience with it the best, also the review about having missed the joke - it's like having your perfectly well-intentioned Mom constantly telling you to "cheer up!". I can't stand being bossed around, even by a fragrance :P. In terms of the scent, to me it smelled like what I thought was apples at the time but now I can see in retrospect that it was the dreaded strawberry. So, so not for me.

Edited by roesmoker

Origin: Part of an auction lot

In the Bottle: Sweet! Juicy Fruit gum in a bottle!

Wet: Fruit! Sweet fruits with just a little tang of citrus...this is what I would have hoped for in Fruit Moon. It's very happy-making.

Drydown: Ew! Just like that the sweet dried up and left household cleaner in its wake. I am definitely not happy now :P

Verdict: It's so good in the bottle...and so bad on me. If I learn how to use the TALs properly I might get more at that point.

Very sweet, sugary happiness in a bottle! Though I don't wear this as a regular 'day scent', I was using the imp to apply a tiny dab after work for a nice happy dose, and have ordered a 5 ml for that reason. I dread winter and cold, dark days, so I'm hoping the joy mojo will help me battle that!