Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allidavie

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo

Bottled happiness. Helps reverse misfortune, brings light and laughter to even the most troubled and discordant place, and aids in alleviating the stress and discontent that accompanies so many of life's daily trials.

Cool, I get to start a review thread. I'm crap at picking out notes, but to me this smelled like sticking your nose into a bag of pick and mix candy that has some bubblegum in it - the kind of bubblegum that has the powdered sugar on the outside. There's a vague cotton candy-ish element to it. But it isn't sickeningly sweet, or all that foody. It makes me think of being a little kid at a carnival at dusk in the summer. Definitely a thought that brings me joy.

On drydown smells like roasted marshmallows that have gotten slightly gooey but not quite burned yet. And boy does it have lasting power. I put it on last night as a patch test to see if I was allergic and it still smelled yummy this morning!

I wouldn't wear this as perfume every day, but when I'm in a bad moon on a grey winter day, you can bet I'll break this one out.

at first: at first, i think i'm smelling fruit, but it quickly turns ecstatically sweet and bubblegum-y. very interesting and very happy. it also seems very young, in an i'm-immature-but-i-don't-care sort of way.

on: wow. sweet. like strawberry-flavored bubble yum. a very happy scent.

1 hour later: still really sweet. i think i'm smelling a tiny bit of cherry cough syrup. however, i also think i'm getting a bit of the heavy coconut scent that i smelled in the star. this is really nice.

4 hours later: still going strong. now it's a jam-like sweetness, but i can't really pick anything out. very nice.

7 hours later: still there. however, now it smells creamier, like some sort of fruity ice cream. it's really a happy scent.

overall: i figured it out! this reminds me of a fruitier, juicier version of the star. it's nice, when i don't want something as heavy as the star. i didn't feel much happier, but i didn't really have any set intentions when i put it on.

Smells sticky sweet in the bottle, but it turns into this soft cotton-candy scent on me. 5 hours later it's still with me too. Makes me smile, definitely took the edge off a bad day :P Might have to get a big bottle of it. A co-worker has absolutely fallen in love with it.

Don't know what I could add to the above reviews. Sort of berryish, then turns to candy sweetness. There's a brief spell where it smells sort of caramelish during drydown.

It is quite happifying.

This was a lovely gift from ViciousMistress!

First Impression: Sticky, fruity bubble gum...when you first start chewing and all the sugars start melting. A tiny undercurrent of kiddie's strawberry/cherry cough liquid.

Second Impression: The fruitiness starts to meld into a spice-like scent, to my utter joy. A dash of clove and a pinch of cinnamon, but still gummy-sweet.

Final Analysis: I really like this and I can't wait to enjoy the benefits of it beyond the spicy sweet scent. I think I'm going to layer this with Virgo on my birthday Wednesday. :P That should make for a super day.

This starts out momentarily too strong and sweet on me, but it mellows very quickly. At first, it makes me think of berries - maybe strawberry. Then it turned into something that reminded me more of bubble gum. After a little while of that, I started to think it smelled like cotton candy...and then, I was sitting in class, and I kept smelling chocolate coming from my wrists - but just vaguely, and just for a few minutes. It settles into a mostly cotton-candy like smell, with something vaguely herbal somewhere underneath that only peeks out sometimes, mostly when I sniff my wrists directly.

I changed my mind many times about what this smelled like - but all of the smells were happy ones, and it got me through a really boring, frustrating class. At the end of the class last week, I felt annoyed and impatient, but this week, I felt much calmer. Maybe it was the Joy Mojo at work. :P

Out of the monster order I just received, this is the one I wanted to put on first cause it smells fantasticly delish! I don't get bubblegum on top as the above posts have. To sum it up: butter/vanilla pound cake with maybe a hint of lemon or orange (the hint that would be smelled in the cake, not as the fruit)! I'm getting a 5ml of this! :P

I really like this one, it is fruity sweet, but not too much so. I like that is has a differnt fruit smell on me every hour. I got a few compliments on it, so I have a big one on the way.

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo was a generous freebie from the BPAL Gods in my last order.

In the Bottle: Wow...a real fruity bubble gum or maybe candied fruits. Very sweet and sugary.

On Me: VERY sugary. Now its more like a pixie stick dumped on bubble gum. But...wait...there is a sweet floral behind this too. Honeysuckle maybe? Wait...its fading too fast! Maybe I'm already way too happy for this oil?

The bubblegum scent is nearly totally gone, and instead its a lily/honeysuckle scent. This is WONDERFUL! Definately a big bottle in the future, and now my tummy is growling...

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo sure is a happy scent :P Wet, it smells just like Juicy Fruit gum to me. As it dries, I get that cotton candy scent others have mentioned, it's really nice. Unfortunately, the fruits come back and fruits don't play well with my skin. They kept getting stronger and sweeter until I had to wash this off :D So I'll be swapping this one.

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo does smell like cotton candy, or one of those jello salads with marshmallow made by Midwestern church ladies of my grandma's generation. Actually, now that I've thought of that image, that's totally going to be my association with this.

I usually hate candyish fruity scents with a passion, and yet I like this - it's happy and comforting and not too strong-smelling, just there. Will definitely hang on to the imp.

Edited by isyche

In bottle: Sweet. It's a very candy-like fragrance that reminds me of strawberry chap stick. There's some serious powdery bubblegum action, too.

On me: Very light. It's barely noticeable. Weird, the bubble gum's completely vanished, as has the strawberry chap stick. In fact, the fragrance has completely morphed into something faintly citrus, almost cake-like...how bizarre! I will need to try this one a few times before deciding whether it's a keeper.

sweet bubble gum at first, after a while(30 min) I find a spicy scent, someone mentioned cloves and i agree. And my skin agrees with cloves so that's a good thing:-)

It's not very wafty and lasting so I layered it with dragon's Blood, scentwise a perfect combo though it worries me a bit it i am not influencing the scents magical powers.

But I feel happy and cheerful today so the magic is working :P

ETA, made a roomspray with ACJM this weekend and sprayed all the house with it. also i added little drops on the couchpillows. We had a wonderful cheerfull weekend with loads of laughter, in fact it had been log since i laughed so much. I think this scent is wonderful in the house, much more than on the skin.

19/01/05

wearing it againg today and my co-worker remarked" it smells like ginseng in here" I blamed the herb tea :D because i didn't knew if he ment it smelled nice or it smelled bad.... :D

Edited by quinkel

Wow. This is very different. I usually loathe bubble gum, both the candy and the scent, especially when it is actually another note turning to bubble gum on my skin (yes, lotus, I am looking at you!).

Yet I adore Aunt Caroline's joy mojo. Go figure.

So yes, it is very, very fruity, very red, very sweet... and very happy!

It is literally a giddy scent. I put it on yesterday evening after a tough day at work and within minutes I could not care less about my boss and his total lack of management skills. Better than that, it actually made me laugh!

I probably would not wear this out as this is not me at all as a scent, but as a voodoo blend, it definitely does a great job of lifting one's spirits. Amazing. A keeper! :P

In the bottle: Bubble-gum. Big time. I wasn't really sure I could handle the bubble gum, but knowing how things change, I put it on anyway.

At first application: It's still extremely sweet, but it turned fruity on my skin, so it didn't have the fake-sweet candy smell anymore.

Drydown: This got much milder very quickly, to my relief and delight. It started out strong and remained strong enough that I got a whiff from time to time, but was much milder in tone. After several hours, the sweet fruity smell faded into a sweet floral that I enjoyed.

Overall: I'm not sure about the effect on my mood, as I was pretty depressed. I feel better today, though- I'm willing to give it another shot! I'll definitely make my way through the imp.

Cantaloupe! Awesome! Fresh, juicy fruit. Dry, it’s strawberry bubblegum. Not the stick, but the liquid-y stuff that’s in your mouth after you’ve been chewing at the gum (not that it smells like saliva). Very sweet and definitely mood-enhancing. Whoa, I spoke too soon. In the second hour, the concentrated sweetness is really getting to me. Eep, too sweet! I’m definitely getting the cotton candy impression at this point.

ETA: If I don’t smell my skin, the scent that wafts over is nice. Sweet, yet not too sweet strawberry with a dash of bubblegum.

Edited by malanna

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo is definitely a bottle purchase for me.

In the vial, it's all sickly sweet bubblegum and candy like Jailbait, only not quite as intense.

On me, it's just happy, soft, fruity sweetness with just a touch of the vetiver base that seems to accompany most of the voodoo oils. I can tell the vetiver is there, but it doesn't bother me because the rest of it is just so happy. After a while, my skin starts sucking away the sweetness, but it's still a lovely, soft fruity scent without being overly intense or foody.

It's not inspiring joy all-abounding from me, but it is making me smile a little bit, and I do think I could wear this to work and feel not so stressed as I usually do.

I get spicey strawberries and oranges with icing sugar dusted over them, powder and something that deepens it a little, something herbal but I cant tell what it is. There definitely is a bubblegumyness to it but I got that more in Forbidden Fruit. It's not heavy and quite pleasant :P

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo:

This scent did not change much from the bottle to my skin, whether dry or wet. It was deliciously sugary, like strawberry and cotton candy. I really, really enjoyed wearing this scent. And did it bring joy? Tons. I had a blast at a Mardis Gras party last night, my first outing in ages. :P

I can definitely see myself wearing this one again. And again. And again.

This fell into the fruity cherry category on me, sticky sweet and with something a bit medicinal. I don't tend to have much luck with the voodoo blends as a whole and while bright and cheery and fruity, this ended up smelling like cough syrup on me after a few hours. Off to swaps.

oh my gosh! cotton candy. mmmm.

i love this one more than i thought i would, which rarely happens with pretty much anything. it's difficult to be dreary wearing this scent. on my skin, it takes a slightly strawberry lollipop turn and i diiiiiig it. aunt caroline's joy mojo almost tops thalia as my "sunny day" scent.

I do not do sweet. Especially not candy. I expected to hate this with a passion.

Hmm.

I kind of like it. I'm shocked.

It's pink bubble gum. It's rock candy. It's the old fashioned cotton candy, before they started making it blue and purple and taste funky.

It baffles me that I like this.

I don't know that I'd wear this much, but I do see adding it to a bath, or putting a dot on my wrist after I've had a cranky day. It's so pure and lighthearted. It makes me want to ride the Tilt-a-Whirl.

:P

A smile in an imp bottle. =)

Something about this one, the sweetness yet not overpowering nature made me boyantly happy all while wearing it. I recieved many compliments on how nice I smelled as well from the people I waited on this past Saturday.

It's like a soft sweet version of jailbait. It's like everyone's favorite fluffy and soft stuffed animal! A jubilant blend.

I love how the candyish sweetness is NOT too sicky sweet, but enough to bring up everyone's spirits. It's great!

It's an anti-depressant in an imp vial! You can't possibly be in a bad mood while wearing this oil.

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo is like a carefree, happy childhood memory. It's fruity and candy sweet--kind of a cross between Jailbait, Bordello and The Star, in my opinion.

I haven't had good luck with the Voodoo blends before--until now! Clover was kind enough to decant an imp of this for me at the Chicago BPAL gathering and I'm definitely going to buy a bottle. :P

Wet: I can smell fruity sweetness, and something else, something green like a herb or something...

dry: the green herb has faded, I can only smell candy sweetness, with a dry undertone. I was worried it might be too sweet, but the dryness makes it alright for me. And besides, I noticed that I never really dislike a voodoo oil.

ADDED March 20:

Aunt Caroline's Joy mojo smells like bubblegum at first, with some fruits added in (I can smell a hint of citrus, I -think-). On the drydown this goes a bit dry, and I think it's sandalwood that always does that. It smells pretty similar to Horn of Plenty to me, but less dry and less almond, but more on the fruit side. Like all Voodoo blends, it doesn't seem spectaular at first, but this one too has a way of finding a place in my heart and the collection.