Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

An offering of frankincense, gold, and myrrh, with coriander, cumin, ambergris, white wine grape, and vanilla bean.

Ummmmm.
Frankincense and cola - then frankincense and curry! I'm assuming at least one of the Wise Men got takeouts on the journey!

Seriously weird. I'm holding on to it in case it settles down and turns into something good, but I can't wear it at the moment...

This is a much brighter scent than I was expecting. At first I did get a bit of the cola (and for a second, the dish soap) scent, but as it's drying it morphs into a very interesting mix of clean and incense. Somehow this has a very light almost aquatic feel to it.

I like this more than I expected to. The only problem is that it is very light and fades very quickly on me. I'm going to let this sit a little longer and try it again, but I think I really like this and might have to get a bottle.

I really wanted to love this scent, I LOVE Frankincense, but I knew once I'd smelt it in the imp that I wouldn't like it.

Wet on it smells very fresh, and slightly like cola (i see a trend here)

Dry it smells kinda powdery, and the frankincense is not there, just a powdery cola.

I really wanted to like it, but alas it is not for me. I'm sure there will be others who will love it.

bottle: sweet, bright frankincense. there's also a sort of fizzy/fruity scent which might be the grape but doesn't smell "grapey".

wet: how to describe this? a frankincense cola beverage? i find this blend completely entrancing, it's absolutely lovely on my skin.

dry: faint frankincese, perhaps a hint of spiciness, and a light fizzy, scent. unique and gorgeous.

This is yummy...a weird combo, but yummy, especially in the drydown.

Wet, this is very much a spicy root beer soda with a heavy dash of grape juice concentrate. It has that same powdery/fizzy quality Hellhound does without the sour note. As it dries this wonderful round note of ambergris (hard to explain but it's wonderful) followed by the vanilla comes out. I'm left with a creamy, resinous, grape-vanilla scent. Amazingly, I smell the color gold. It's not any of the usual suspects, either. It evokes images of the holy grail in Indiana Jones :P

This is really different and extremely wearable. I'm glad I took a chance.

The Magi is an odd scent on me. It seems like there are just too many notes in here that aren't matching up on my skin. I was hoping for sweet resins and vanilla, but this isn't terribly resinous on me, and I don't smell the vanilla at all. I get cloying grape fruitiness mixed with a dill pickle smelling frankincense (which I normally like, but not paired with the grape). The drydown is musky, sharp ambergris and an odd, bitter spiciness with the lingering sweetness of grape. After fifteen minutes or so, the whole thing just starts going soapy, most likely thanks to the ambergris.

I like scents that smell of cola (I have a cola oil from another company that I love), but I don't get that smell from The Magi either. It's just a big mess on my skin :P

I really like this. I agree with the "fizzy" reviews. If you've ever smelled Demeter's Ginger ale spray, this is just like it. Fizzy, nose tingly ginger ale.

Weird! I also get cola from this, which is...new. It sticks around but doesn't overpower like it seems to for some other reviewers. I suspect the wine grape.

After several minutes it dries down into something more resiny. I'm definitely getting the comparison to Midnight Mass, but it's lighter and... brighter to my nose. I think I actually prefer Magi!

Later: I loove this blend. I recognize the ambergris acting much the same way as it does in Lyonesse (my favorite vanilla scent). Its gorgeous.

Edited by iiinterstate

In the imp: Nature's Gate original herbal condition, the brown one. Seriously. I've been looking for an herbal myrrh scent that mimics that stuff forever, but I never expected this to be the one.

Wet on skin: Harrumph. Now it smells like generic deodorant soap.

Early dry down (15 minutes): Spicy and complex. More like a classic men's cologne than anything else. I can't pick out individual notes, and I'm not getting any fruity grape at all. It's musky, spicy and bitter. It kind of reminds me of the Halston perfume my mom wore when I was little.

Late dry down (1 hour): Sadly, I get zero sweetness from this to tone down the musky ambergris and the lovely Nature's Gate herbal myrrh is also gone. As has happened several time with ambergris in the past, it's all I smell.

Verdict: I can't quite say yuck, but it's very not me. My least favorite of the Yules I've tried this year.

In the bottle: Ambergris and frankincense. It was so strong that I turned away and said "eurgh!"

Wet on skin: Even worse, combined with the realization that frankincense and myrrh smell amazing on other people but on me they never fully lose their edge. The ambergris and frankincense are wielding boards with nails in them and are thrashing my poor nose in a back alley :P

Dry down: The cumin and coriander are detectable as bottom notes. The scent has lightened up and the grape lends a freshness that works well with it. The myrrh is smoothing it all out, and the frankincense and ambergris have ceased their heinous assault.

It works very well, and it fits the description. I'll keep it, let it age, and wear it occasionally when I have the time to let it hit the drydown stage before I step out the door. However, as incense scents go, I liked Valentine of Rome better.

The Magi is straight-up Chanel No. 5 on me, but much more soft and wearable. Maybe it's the ambergris. I'm undecided on whether or not to buy a bottle, but it is quite nice.

THE MAGI

In Bottle: Strong resinous cologne

On Skin: This is very masculine in feel, it’s like a spicy resinous men’s cologne. I get a white and green feel from this, very clean spices and more cool in feel than warm. Which is odd, since resins and incense almost always warm up a scent on me. The grape is light as well, not overwhelmingly fruity, just crisp. And I don’t smell the vanilla bean on it’s own, although I suspect it helps sweeten the scent and tame the coriander. A very elegant and distinctive scent. After a drydown of about 10 minutes, it becomes more gender neutral. Very nice and formal. It has an average throw and long wearlength.

This is "perfume" to my nose, in the sense that none of the notes stick out and it smells... conventional? Like something I'd buy in a nice department store. Sophisticated.

Where am I getting citrus from? It definitely has an almost lemony aspect to it. I wish the coriander would come out strong, its why I got a decant of this one, but its too enmeshed.

Sneezing. A bunch. Oh, myrrh why do you always do this? I need to wash it off.

In the imp is total cola, wet on skin and dry is soapy cola with some spices, I give up.
I'm on the 'soapy cola' side of dry, too. :P

Although the imp itself started off like dishwashing detergent...then the incense suddenly presented itself...then vanished again.

Now that it's dry on me, it's pure detergent. Strong detergent, too! Eek!

Looks like this one is going in the swaps/sells/gifts pile for me!

I'm in the "soapy cola" boat with ya... I was hoping for a less-foody, more-resiny third cousin of Haloa, what with the frank&myrrh, wine, and vanilla. Maybe with some amber, for the "gold"...*shrug* Nope. Fizzy soap.

I recognize the grape as the same as in last Yule's "the Shivering Boy." I still have hope; maybe in a couple months it'll behave.

This was an immediate 5ml purchase for me, because nearly every note in it is a favourite. Unfortunately, it was not at all what I was expecting.

In the bottle: Coca-Cola. It’s even fizzy-smelling.

On skin, wet: See “in the bottle”.

On skin, dry: I’m trying hard to find any of my beloved notes- myrrh, frankincense, ambergris….shouldn’t this be resiny? Why do I still only smell Coke? Where is all the bright sweetness coming from?

2+ hours in: I can just about make out the ambergris and can almost imagine that I smell myrrh and vanilla and coriander. I’m not getting cumin or grape (though it’s possible the grape is where the sweetness comes from).

Still, it mostly smells like Coke.

I suppose that the absence of the notes I was expecting means it’s well-blended, but I’m just not feeling the love, and I’m really sad about that. I may wait a while to see if it ages into something nice, but I’m probably going to swap it off to a new home.

Wow. Apparently my experience is very different from many people's...

Of all the BPAL scents I've tried, The Magi smells the most like "perfume." It is definitely a traditional scent, due in measure to the frankincense, I'm sure.

However, it's still not an everyday commercial perfume. It's what so many commercial perfumes try to be, but fall short in the attempt. It's rich with incense, grounded. The scent is ancient yet fresh, as if it were a recipe that had been handed down through the ages and had taken on a life of its own.

Breathtaking.

I've been trying to figure out how to describe what this smells like -- I should have saved the trouble and read the reviews: soapy cola is it 100%

Toward the end of the dry down I started to get some lovely spices, but not enough to warrant a bottle purchase for me :P

The Magi

In the bottle: I see what people mean about cola, but to me it’s gold (metal) and spicy resin sweetness.

Wet on skin: ooh, here comes frankincense!

Dry on skin: this is gorgeous. I’m in resin heaven. Now it settles into a beautiful frankincense and myrrh scent. There is a slight hint of spicy fizz, reminiscent of Leo 07. This also has a smoky incense resin scent from the frank ‘n myrrh. And I can smell coriander! One of the most complex and wonderful smelling spices-I don’t smell it much in perfume but I smell it here, adding it’s accent to the resins. Ditto with the wine, which reminds me of Haloa. The vanilla adds a gorgeous sweetness and the metallic gold note is faint now, but it seems to be subtle, reminds me of the metal note in the steampunk scents like Aelopile and Robotic Scarab.

After a while: sweet vanilla amber with the smoke of frankincense and myrrh swirling all around, and a faint hint of gold and wine and coriander. But above all, this is sweetened frankincense and myrrh. This seems to get even more beautiful with wear as the resins really shine forth. Every now and then I smell little wafts of incense, almost like wisps of smoke, coming off my arm. At times I swear I smell a bit of benzoin…I know it’s probably vanilla though.

The second time I wore this the drydown was more myrrh-y and had a candle smoke aspect. The third time I wore it I smelt more of the metallic gold and ‘fizz’. I think the fizz is the white wine. It reminds me not of cola, but of champagne at this point! Champagne and incense! Mmm!

Verdict: this is frankincense and myrrh perfection! I can smell resins burning, and their ashes. I love how the resins smell like they are smouldering gently, wafting in the air…at times I really do get an impression of soft incense smoke lingering. I can’t stop smelling it. at first it is indeed effervescent and crisp thanks to the white wine, with the resins surrounded by gold and spices. And what turned this from ‘mmm, resin love!’ to ‘OMG must hoard!!’ was that drydown. This is when the scent is smooth frank and myrrh smoke wafting all around, but what makes it perfect is that wonderful golden sweetness of vanilla and amber that underpins the resins. The gold note-a edgy but pleasant metallic-adds an intriguing and contemporary twist to the classic incense, almost updating the ancient resin blend and making it modern. I love the way this has a cool glittering scent to it, like gold treasure or like stars in the sky, but with the warmth of sacred resins. One of my favourites of the Yule collection, this is one to hoard.

Emoticon rating: :wub3:

Is it a keeper? oh yes. resins are love and I bet this will age beautifully.

If you like this, try: No 93 Engine, Midnight Mass, Haloa, King Cobra, Leo 07, Heavenly Love and Earthly Love, Valentine of Rome

When first applied, I get frankincense and a hint of amber -- very lovely. I can see how people get the 'fizzy' feeling, though, because I quickly detected it there, as well. Then the incense morphs quickly to something sweeter; while I didn't get out and out 'grape' scent from the wine, it was vaguely there. After a bit, it just goes generically perfumey. Just not my thing...

In the decant: An invigorating scent! It’s familiar, yet this is my first experience with any of these notes…

Wet on skin: Same as in the bottle.

Dry on skin: No change. It’s a bittersweet aroma. It lingers lightly. I wish I knew what I smell!!! It’s interesting…

This was a delightful frimp from a forumite that I was happy to try :) Spicy, mellow resin. Very faint, but nice!

In the Imp: I guess it's the grapes and vanilla mixing with the resins that give this that cola, effervescent quality. But really, I smell the cumin and coriander.. which frankly, I can't imagine ever being something I'd want to wear because I HATE smelling like food after being at a restaurant.

Wet: Cumin and grapes :ugh: Interesting.. but not an instant favorite, to say the least.

Dry: Hmm... well, I can see the appeal I guess, it does remind me of opening an old chest that herbs, potions and jewelry has been stored in. The resins definitely came forward, thank god! I think this is the first time I've been able to identify ambergris as a distinct note.. it has a golden, kinda old fashioned perfumey quality (makes sense, considering). Ahhhh.. the cumin is all gone, and now this is rather nice actually. The throw smells like a nice, older perfume.. golden, but dry. I might have to give this another go.. color me surprised!

Sweet, slightly fruity frankincense. This is much more complex than frankincense scents usually are on me. The spices with it are noticeable and make the scent quite interesting. It's a pleasant scent that seems very respectful and solemn, to me. Very nice.

In the bottle: Spicy and resinous. I definitely get the sweet, resinous frankincense and myrrh, but the white wine grape sounds a fruity, acidic note that keeps it from being too sweet and heady. The cumin and coriander makes this really complex—smells like a spice market.

On, wet: Mmm, frankincense and grape—it's a fruity, fizzy, sparkling effect, practically effervescent, and it makes me think of a black, starry sky or a glass of champagne. I get what people are saying about cola, but I don't smell that--I think it's to do with the combination of the white wine grape and resins. Anyway, it's a little bit of spicy church incense, with the faintest hint of vanilla. (Frankincense always, always makes me think of church, and this is no exception.) This is NOT a very sweet grape for me—it's dry and champagne-like. There's also something very faintly metallic here, which must be the gold.

On, dry: Less cumin and coriander, more sweet and subtle. The grape and resins are melding together and the vanilla and ambergris have come forward, so now it has this rounded, golden glow to it.

Later: Vanilla, frankincense and ambergris, with the white wine grape finally blending with the spices and moving away from center stage. It's still there, but it's beneath the vanilla and frankincense—quite a yummy combo.

Overall: I'm quite pleased with this one. It's rich, golden and incense-y, as you would expect from the concept, but that fizzy, sparkling quality in the early stages is really something unusual. It isn't cola-like to me, but it makes me think of that long, long, cold journey to Bethlehem, following the star… just like the lovely art on the label, actually. Very cool.

Edited by Bluestocking