Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
IronMollyBlack

Serpents with Glittering Eyes and Forky Tongues

Serpentine green herbs, glistening red currant, sparkling yellow lemon rind, green musk, lime, and snakeskin.

Imp: All right. I ganked this from the lovely eyeska at a meet and sniff ages ago. Like, three or four MnSs ago. I've been sniffing it ever since and been completely incapable of wrapping my head around it. So I sniff it in the imp this time and I'm like, "You know what? I'm good. I'm gonna review this bad boy. THE TIME IS NIGH!!" It smells like citrus and a light currant. And alligator leather. My grandmother had an alligator purse stashed at the back of her closet and it reminds me of that particular, distinctive scent (smells like chicken!... No it doesn't). Messed.

Wet: The currants come to the forefront and this is a pretty simple otherworldly green musk/berry scent. It smells like 51 but with an earthier quality. The lime is more dominant than the lemon which I think is a little bit sweeter in tone and is blending into the berry. It's a pretty bright and high pitched scent.

Dry: That alligator leather scent is back. That's okay, though. I like leather and this is a really interesting leather because it's not actually leather. It's snakeskin. I live in rattler country so in the interest of self-preservation I have no freakin' clue what snakeskin smells like. But there is a dark, semi-animalistic, leather-esque scent here that melds perfectly with the brighter, more sparkling oils. It dries down to a pleasant berry/herbal (thyme? Lemon verbena?) touched with citrus. And then there's that crazy, leathery drydown scent. It works so well but it's so freakin' nuts.

Throw: Pretty good, actually.

Overall: I have been smelling this for the better part of a year and still don't really have words for it. It's totally awesome and a little messed up and I kind of dig it. If I had to describe it within the BPAL oeuvre, I'd have to describe it as "51 if Area 51 was in the Florida Everglades." Y/N? Just try it. This is a wacky scent.

Green is definitely the word for this scent, and it fits it so well that I can't really think of much else to describe it. It's light and very summery and fresh. The herbs are not grassy or headshoppy at all. I like it, and I'm glad because I absolutely love the name of this scent.

Herbs, lime, and fresh green musk. Fresh and fruity, I can see this as a Spring scent. I think the red currant cuts through the fresh green notes to give this blend an interesting contrast, just like the colors red and green are contrasting but complimentary colors.

The more I smell this, the more it reminds me of YSL In Love Again. Anything with currant and citrus makes me think of that perfume.

Wet: Fresh, lime green, citrusy. Almost like lemongrass.

Drydown: I think that's the musk, softening it a bit and giving it some depth. Still very green. More regular grass than lemongrass. Actually very grassy. Ooo, now the currant is peeking through! Adding a bit of fruit to it all, very nice. It's green+yellow+red now, very bright and cheery.

Dry: Citrus and herbs and red currant, very bright and refreshing, but with some depth courtesy of the green musk and perhaps the snakeskin? A scent for spring or summer. Upbeat and energetic. I'm not head over heels, but it puts a smile on my face, and that's more than good enough.

Keep: Yes

Bottle: Maybe

The first time I had dabbed a little of this on, it had a nice scent to it so I put it in my 'give it a longer try' pile. Now, sitting here and really experiencing it though... I can't figure out why I liked it.

The herbs seem to mix together and become quite overpowering. Almost soapy - it smells JUST like Irish Spring soap on me. I'm not getting any of the citrus notes at all, which is a huge shame.

Lemon-lime, red currant, musk. As has been said, Serpents with Glittering Eyes and Forky Tongues is a really green scent--but green in the 51/Alien Invasion way, not really in a planty way. Just green. I really like this.

Hello, I'm new to the forums... so please bear with me. :blush:

That said, I have to mention that I am kicking myself...I received this as a frimp and come to find that it has been recently discontinued. Grrrrr... :rantrave:

All I can say, is that this is beautiful, glittering, fresh and crystalline.

Lap imp, purchased in Sept 2010 (along with my bottle of Mabon '10).

In the imp: Zingy lime, crushed cranberry. Sweet and tangy at the same time.

Wet: Oo. Wet and dry grasses. Lots of fruit. I can just feel slippery snake skin and see jewel-red eyes.

Dry: This morphs a lot. One minute it's all fruits, the next it's all grasses. Just when I think the scent is done, it pops up again, as fresh as it was when I first put it on.

Overall: Total adoration. I am an idiot for not buying a bottle of this when I had the chance. :cry2: Now I just have to pray I can find more of it through the grapevine. :thud:

Serpents with Glittering Eyes and Forky Tongues is so green! The lemon and lime in this make it predominantly citrusy on me, but the green musk, green herbs, and red currant keep it from being too astringent or straightforward. It may just be my imagination, but after a while it smells a bit like green apple as well. Very refreshing and yes, serpentine!

Serpents with Glittering Eyes and Forky Tongues imp

Wet/Bottle - Oh man, this is fruity and that's really intimidating. It's all currant and lime, but it's not unpleasant to sniff. I don't usually like fruity on myself, but I'll give it a shot.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - Cotton candy infused lemonade, with something...tacky. Not sticky/tacky, but cheap/tacky. Almost like a knockoff spray perfume you bought when you were 12 at CVS for $6.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) -Still $6 CVS knockoff Victorias Secret body spray

I didn't think i was going to enjoy this just reading the notes, but received a frimp of it and wanted to be sure. Now, i know.

An instant favourite. It's really too bad this is discontinued!

Fresh/wet, it smells like green (lime) jellybabies with something weird going on on the background. Effervescent, sparkly and green, with a sharp edge to it.
As it dries, the redcurrant comes out a bit, making it a bit sweeter and fruitier.
The green musk stays on the drydown, as it does with 51, smelling like sunshine.
(Compare to 51, I'd say Serpents... is a bit sharper, less floral, more citrusy.)
This will be a hit for the summer. 5 out of 5!