Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
moonstonemama

The Miller's Daughter

Spun gold, tear-soaked straw, and rose-infused amber.

In the bottle – The straw, and I think the amber, although it’s a little ‘airy’

Wet on me – A sharp metallic note, followed by a soft powdery rose

Dry on me – Soft, slightly candied rose

Overall – I was surprised by major a role the rose played , but it was still a very pleasant very wearable scent Edited by Shollin

This is really mild, I had to re-apply to try to smell it. Ok, there it is. I can tell there is some rose in there, but it must be mostly the amber. It's nice!

My first review!

In the bottle: Rose, amber, and straw. I can detect the faintest hint of the tears that comes in and out as I sniff. There is something that's distinctly fairytale-like about this scent; it's warm and ethereal at the same time.

Wet: The aquatics come out briefly in a flare, but quickly settle down. My skin loves rose, though, so that stays present.

Dry: The warmth of the scent comes out-- rose and straw, mostly, with the amber "burnishing" the scent more than anything else. Nice lasting power and good throw-- the rose doesn't take over but stays a warm presence. I love this one. It's romantic without being girlish or trite, and a nice scent to put in my rose-loving repertoire.

I had been so very much looking forward to trying this and was frimped it in a swap/sale. Sadly, I haven't tried it yet on my skin, because in the bottle I'm getting that rose that turns to chemical hairspray/nail polish on me. I could cry. I may stubbornly test it anyway someday.

When it first hits my skin wet, it's sharp and metallic. Then once it dries it hits this high-pitched note. It smells like soapy lilies. The next stage it's a powdery, soapy rose. I'm not enjoying this.

After a couple of hours, the soapy smell has backed off a bit, and now it's a soft, ambery rose with a touch of aquatic (but still the powdery amber, the kind I didn't like in Haunted). It's nicer now, but I know that I won't wear this one very often. I think I'll swap it to someone who it works better on.

Edited by Hava

In the bottle: Bright sunshine-yellow oil. Rose! And something planty, maybe the straw? It's quite light. There's a sharp tang that could be the gold or the tears - a bit sour.

Wet: Same. Sort of sour rose. The tang seems more metallic, the planty note a bit more herbal. Powdery edge - the amber, maybe?

Dry: Rose amping! And I think the sour note might actually be citrus in some form? Or possibly it's white rose, which is sort of tart on my skin?

Later: It's smoothing out, as more amber emerges to give it warmth and depth. A bit soapy, probably from the aquatic tears. I'm not getting salt.

Summary: Oddly warm yet tangy-sour rose and powdery amber with a hint of soap. I don't ever really get a strong metallic or aquatic feel, alas. Good throw & lasting power.

In the imp: Lots of rose, backed by straw/hay and a faint aquatic note

Wet on skin: ROSE to the nth power...but it is a mellow, demure rose without any of the sourness that sometimes accompanies this flower on my skin.

Dry on skin: The rose is nice, but there is nary a hint of any of the other notes. I loved it in the imp and will have to try it in a scent locket to see if the straw and amber will come out to play.

Wow. I think this is the first time I've gotten every listed note from an oil! I tend to amp rose, and it's dominating here as usual, but there's the amber right behind, and finally a hint of grassiness and slight aquatic/metallic edge. This is a really interesting scent, although not something I think I could deal with smelling like all day, my desperate love of amber be damned.

Edited by lucy gray

In imp: Floral, strong,but not particularly sweet, with a hard edge underneath. Not a light scent. I suspect the amber is what makes it so individual.

On: Almost almondey-sweet. Pretty, almost cloying. After about 30 seconds, it begins to become dry and sweet and almost sharp...weirdly, very like hay, though I don't know if that's just a semantic connection. That's on my left wrist. On my right wrist, it has become a sort of soft sweet powdery background scent. It is a lot softer on than in the imp. The amber and rose stick around in the background nicely, blending so the rose isn't too cloying. It smells warm and golden, like sunlight through a window onto the dusty floor of a barn. Fanciful, but I suppose it succeeded!

Over time, it drifts into a faint aquatic, with the occasional touch of the original scent poking through. Has quite a throw, as well, despite being so light. I think I preferred the in-between 'hay' moment, but it's still quite pretty.

I wanted rose infused amber, and after an hour there it was, to get there I had to get through the tears, a sharp aquatic mash of scents which I did not care for.

ETA--6 weeks later and I tried Millers Daughter again. It went straight to rosey amber, no aquatic upfront at all. I like it more than the first time roundl. Note to self, don't give up on any scent with only one trial.

Edited by Columbine

In the imp: Golden hay or straw. Not like Scarecrow (dry and almost burning hay) but bright and fresh hay.

Wet: Golden straw, and I'm getting the powdery amber and rose very faintly in the background. This is very golden and bright. Pretty much what I expected.

Dry: Rose amber! Sweet, I'm getting a bit of lemon. The hay and gold have faded, and it's pretty, feminine baby powder. I want to bathe in this. Reminds me a bit of Helena, except this fades more quickly.

Overall: This is definitely something I would wear. Slightly sweet and feminine and powdery. This is rose amber. If there was just some honey added, this would be my favorite blend! Will get a bottle of this. :D

In the imp: Very dry. I can make out the rose and amber, but they are both overtaken by a dusty, outdoorsy kind of smell. I guess that's the straw? A slight bit of sweetness.

Wet on skin: I know the rose and amber are there, but they are hiding. I get mostly a dry, metallic sweat. My skin is not reacting well to this. It kind of reminds me of the sweat on your skin when the weather is in between summer and fall. I know that's really specific to me, but that's what I get.

Drydown: More sweet and fresh than before, but there is not enough here to make me love it. Slight bit creamier and softer now, but I have other scents that have given me the same effect that have stayed pleasant throughout.

Overall: It's kind of interesting as a nostalgic scent, but I won't need a bottle.

Imp: Salt, rose and a light amber.

Wet: OHMYGOD! Amber! I never smell amber on my skin until a half hour or so after application!

Dry: This is super pretty. Warm, dusky rose and amber over a base of something a little bracing. A touch of pepper. Definitely warm. It reminds me a lot of Hymn to Proserpine--maybe the same amber? Skin close, a little sexy.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: Like it. Not my holy grail rose or amber scent but enough to keep me interested. Will use up the imp and think more about this situation.

This is a sharp rose kind of scent-I remember sniffing this back when it was released at will call and I remember a lot more hay in it then-don't sniff that much hay now. I'm not sure if the sharpness of this is from the gold note or the rose note.

Well duh, that sharpness I was wondering about, that would be the TEARS in the tear-soaked straw *headdesk* That tear-soaked straw note comes out a lot more on my skin, but the forefront is still the rose infused amber-the amber keeps the rose from becoming sour. Note though, rose haters, you probably won't like this! You can't escape teh rose!

Overall, this is a nice rose blend. It isn't the most unique of the rose blends, at least how it dried on my skin. Powdery amber/rose mostly, with a hint of straw and a teensy drop of sharp saltiness.

Hmm...rose, amber, and straw, in pretty much that order. A warm, gold kind of rose, that goes powdery after a while--probably the amber and straw. Very pretty and floral and feminine, if one likes that kind of scent. Never really got the aquatic note--maybe a little hint of saltiness if I put my nose close and sniff.

Overall: pleasant--not something I'd normally reach for, but would be great for those who like warm, powdery, feminine florals.

The Miller's Daughter is just as described: rose, amber, and hay. The rose is a little powdery, the amber is powdery, and the hay smells like sweetgrass.

In the imp, this is a lot of rose!

On my skin this is mostly rose and a very powdery amber.

As it dries I'm detecting that very odd hay note from Hay Moon that disagreed with my skin.

As it settles a bit more I'm smelling something that reminds me a lot of Sea of Glass (the "tear-soaked" part?) The rose note is still very strong in this one and blooms even further as this dries on my arm. Thankfully, as it settles in the strange hay note completley disappears :)

The Miller's Daughter ends up being a powdery amber rose on my skin. This is very pretty, femenine and perfect for rose lovers. I'm not sure this one is for me. I really enjoyed testing it out though :)

On me this is basically full on rose with a bit of amber in the background. I get no straw at all. After a few hours it turns into powder with a touch of rose. It smells nice, nothing more, nothing less.

Tried an imp of this about 8 months ago and honestly? This is the first and so far only BPAL I've ever tried that made me want to vomit. I got it because it's a rose scent (and I wrote a novella about Rumpelstilskin titled The Tale of the Miller's Daughter), but the yellow rose was completely crushed down and choked by wet straw and the most unappealing salt I've ever smelled in a scent (and I am a huge fan of salty scents like Mary Read). If anything, the smell just got stronger when it touched my skin, and wouldn't wash off no matter what I did.

I swapped it away and have decided to avoid all straw blends in the future :o. This really broke my heart, too. I really wanted it to work.

I definitely got a sour smell when I first sniffed this one. On my skin I smelled the roses and amber. It dried to a soft powdery rose. I loved that it didn't have too much of a sweetness to it. Very feminine, but not too girly for me. I can see this becoming a bottle for my personal collection :)

I never would have ordered this blind--my limited experience with anything aquatic has been very negative. But, when I saw this in Whole Foods I could only remember the rose and amber. So, I tried it. I didn't think too much of it until I was back in the car, and then I ordered it with my very next order.

Amber usually smells very soapy on me until it has had time to age, but not this one. There is something a bit sharp/soapy if I put my nose to my wrist. Not sure if that's the tears or the amber. The throw is all beautiful amber and rose, though, in the best incarnation of each. The gold is a tiny bit metallic in the background, but not the strongest note by far. Very pretty and feminine.

What a swirling, morphing scent! The Miller's Daughter is predominantly a sour-ish rose scent, but the other notes flit around showing up and then disappearing as soon as I look for them. The gold is a really interesting note- I smell something metallic, but it's not a note that says "I am METALLIC!" but rather looks coyly at you and hints at it. I don't care for the scent of metal, but this is very cool. The amber actually never presents well, but sort of backs the rose up with a sense of gold (in this case, the color and warmth and light, not the metal). The aquatic also backs the rose up rather than taking center stage. The straw pops up fleetingly, smelling a bit like my beloved hay note. It's all actually a very coherent, seamless blend. Each time I sniff I smell something different, but it's not jarring, it's more like a continuum. It's an interesting experience.

My great grandma used to keep these old fashioned rose soaps in her bathroom. This smells like that - rose soap.