Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
moonstonemama

Egle

In another time, long ago lived an old man and his wife. Both of them had twelve sons and three daughters. The youngest being named Egle. On a warm summer evening all three girls decided to go swimming. After splashing about with each other and bathing they climbed onto the riverbank to dress and groom their hair. But the youngest, Egle, only stared for a serpent had slithered into the sleeve of her blouse. What was she to do? The eldest girl grabbed Egle's blouse. She threw the blouse down and jumped on it, anything to get rid of the serpent. But the serpent turned to the youngest, Egle, and spoke to her in a man's voice:

Egle, promise to become my bride and I will gladly come out.

Egle began to cry how could she marry a serpent? Through her tears she answered:

Please give me back my blouse and return from whence you came, in peace.

But the serpent would not listen:

Promise to become my bride and I will gladly come out.

There was nothing else she could do; she promised the serpent to become his bride.

Ocean water, hyacinth petals, star jasmine, and fir.

I've been hoping for an aquatic that won't turn into soap on me, and I found it. This is a beautiful blend.

in the bottle: very floral. the hyacinth and star jasmine overpower all the other notes.
wet: the aquaticness and the fir come out, but the florals are still there.

dry: no soap! it's very green smelling. I can definitely smell the fir, but it plays very well off the hyacinth and jasmine. the ocean water adds a little extra tang, but is very subtle.

the longer this is on, the prettier it gets. the fir gets a bit mellower and the flowers come back with the ocean water. Edited by MoonstoneMama

I keep looking for a good ocean water scent, something that smells like the sea.

This isn't it, either, at least not for me. It smells, like many other aquatics, like freshly-scrubbed man, like a men's body wash named "ocean breeze," artificial and soapy. Meh.

I'm a pretty recent convert to the wearing of aquatics, and they still make me a little nervous when I pull them out for the first time. This one, unfortunately, is not one I will be pulling out again, I think.

The fir amps out HARD on me, followed by the jasmine, then the salty water, and finally the hyacinth, and it all blends together into one sharp-edged floral-rific scent that I kind of want to wash off, not because it's really offensive, but because, on me, it smells like an expensive fir-scented handsoap. I rather wish the hyacinth were stronger -- they're such heady flowers! -- but they just vaporize under the fir. :/

I really love the way it smells in the imp, however, and it might make a really lovely summertime oil burner scent. I'll probably trade it, though.

In a tiny side note, I think this is the fullest imp I've ever gotten from the Lab. It's right up to the very top of the vial. O_O! Kind of scary when opening it...

I get this odd mix of fir and jasmine. However, this jasmine is softer and not quite as sharp and as cat-pee-like as in other blends. It's a soft, pretty aquatic.

In the imp: Smell something disgusting! Like rot, or nasty feet, or a litter box. Something old and not taken care of and dying. And instead of doing something about the smell, someone covered it up with a really sweet, flowery, girly perfume, hoping no one would notice.

Wet: That gross smell is gone. It's just in the imp. Although I still can't get that feeling out of my head that just put something rotting on my body. The initial scent is really throwing me off.

Dry: It's very light and sweet and girly and no rot at all. In fact, it turns so pretty and girly that I want to keep my imp! It's slighty watery, making the florals less perfumey. It's sweet enough for me to like it, and for it to be feminine. I get no fir though. Though I don't mind. I like pine, but fir can go either way on me.

Overall: I really like this! But, it's a bit too light, and too sweet for me to get a big bottle. Will definitely use my imp. Very pretty and girly!

First impression: Girly fir!

Disclaimer: Jasmine and I don't usually have a problem with each other, so if you usually do have a problem with jasmine, this review might not be helpful to you.

In the imp and wet on my skin, this smells like fir trees and something vaguely fruity-floral. (The hycainth?) I do detect the oceanic notes, something high and slightly salty in my nose.

Drying, this smells like Christmas trees and flowers and sweetness, in the best way possible. This is sort of a robin's-egg blue and dark green scent (pine/fir never smells like any other color to me. Uncreative, I know). This is sort of...opalescent in quality, changing between blues and greens and violets. This is just beautiful - sweet but not cloying, floral but not powdery or overwhelming, piney but not masculine. It's sweet and pretty, feminine and delicately odd.

Egle is not the scent I expected to like best from the Marchen category, but she and Rapunzel are battling for my top spot. A sure winner from the Marchen category for me! :P

Wet: ocean water. Very aquatic-y. Appropriate, I suppose, but...

As it dries--ooh, fir! And here comes the jasmine. This is a really weird collection of notes and there are two here (water and jasmine) that rarely work on me. I was hoping for more hyacinth, and I do smell it but it's very faint. Ultimately this is sort of an aquatic/jasmine and not for me.

This is another story I'd never heard of before the Märchen update went live, and I thank the Lab for frimping me this as a means of getting more familiar with the tale!

In the imp: Wet flower petals. Which immediately made my nose tingle. Please, sneeze, do not be indicative of this entire wearing experience!

Wet on skin: The wet flower petals description remains apt. They're still tingling my nose, though I'm not sneezing more.

Drydown: Freshly dry is much the same as wet, though even less nose-tingling. Funny thing is that the water is coming out more fresh than salty on me, but that may still change with time. An hour later, it's already almost indistinguishable.

Five hours later: Completely gone.

End of the day: So completely gone that I considered using that wrist real estate at Will Call. I decided not to, but the fact remains that no smell is left.

Overall: Sneezing is never a good thing, nor is disappearing. That and the fact that I got mostly flowers and no fir means that this one pretty much strikes out for me. It's not at all that I dislike the scent - it just plain doesn't work for me, on several levels.

I expected Egle to be a soapy floral mess on me, but it actually doesn't go soapy. The floral in this is way too much for me, though. On me, this smells like off, rotten flowers (hello jasmine) covered up with a spritz of sharp, white floral perfume. It's very sharp and perfumey. I can't pick out the fir and aquatic exactly, but there's a chill to this in the drydown that I'm assuming is coming from the fir, and a smooth sweetness that might be the aquatic. Mostly this is a generic, sharp floral perfume smell on my skin, though. After an hour, I'm glad this has faded so fast, and it leaves just a hint of clean skin and bad women's perfume in its wake.

Egle is not for me, but jasmine scents rarely are.

In The Bottle

Salty water and fir. Strong!

On Application

Oddly, slightly fruity with salt water

Dry Down

I wasn't intending to try this but I was frimped and I love it. Very, very salty with smooth florals and almost fruity. The aquatic quality lasts well but the overall scent doesn't last on my skin.

Rating (0-5)

In the bottle: Extremely pale yellow oil. Sweetly floral, aquatic, and woodsy. Hyacinth, ocean and fir stand out. Clean and fresh yet feminine.

Wet: Saltier, and a little soapy-heady as the jasmine emerges. Not as sweet or light, as the hyacinth immediately begins to fade. The fir is a touch mentholic, a bit piney.

Dry: Okay, this is settling. The jasmine is there, and a bit heavy and soapy, but bearably. The fir is strong but not pinesol. The ocean is light but delicious, as is the moderately present sweet hyacinth.

Later: The jasmine still lends a soapy edge, but it's not as heady. The fir is just nicely woodsy, and that hyacinth is so sweet and delicious and fresh. The wonderful salty aquatic note melds everything nicely.

Summary: Sweet, almost fruity hyacinth and deep, cool fir with salty ocean waves and slightly soapy jasmine. Clean, a little wild, and only just barely feminine. Low throw and lasting power.

It's pretty lovely when the jasmine calms down (and would be amazing without it), and it'd be even better in a scent locket. Quite possibly a bottle buy.

This kind of thing is right up my alley. I was a little wary of the fir, which has smelled overly menthol-y and medicinal on me in the past, but it's divine here. I can pick up the freshness of the ocean water and the sweetness of the flowers. It's difficult to find a scent that truly smells like a rugged, forested coastline, but this one comes pretty close. May have to get a full bottle.

in the imp: salty aquatic note dominates, with an undercurrent of juniper berry (must be the fir)

wet on skin: same, with the juniper coming out a touch more.

dry down: the juniper/fir is in the lead now, but the aqua still definitely has presence.

in all: not my cup of tea, but if you like the above-mentioned notes, you'll dig this one.

:)

I smell Hyacinth and Jasmine mainly in the imp. On, both recede into the ocean water...aquatic salty sweetness with a hint of the fir...piney with a small, bitter little bite. Surprisingly pretty and bright, but very complex!

Succulent hyacinths (and a drop of white lilac?) with rich, golden pollen and a crisp, bubbly something... like mineral water. Coarse shards of salt. A touch of tartness. This is a very fine, uplifting scent that is kept from being over-the-top feminine by the sea water note (which is more salty/sandy than ozoney). And overall it has more body that I would have expected. Good stuff.

My skin usually amps jasmine, but weirdly I'm getting none of it from Egle. Hm.

Gah, super duper salty aquatic floral. >_o I am really not an aquatics fan, and this is super salty. Yeee. Reminds me a bit of the sharpness in Long Night Moon...

Hmm...Ok, I can imagine this being gorgeous on the right person...it's got this sparkling ocean crystalline quality that is quite pretty. A bit salty and sharp-but there is some note in here, maybe the hyacinth I'm thinking, that is just weird to my nose...I don't know how to describe it. The fir is also quite apparent. I still find this to be very similar to Long Night Moon, so if that is your kind of thing, definitely check this out.

In the Vial: Definitely aquatic. But almost green? It smells like fig to me, I swear! Really green fig.

Wet: Still skin-cuttingly sharp. I'm not super familiar w/ hyacinth or star jasmine, but what had smelled like fig is now smelling like fir (piney) and yes, I can smell the 'ocean' or aquatic element and some florals.

Drydown: Thank goodness the insane sharpness is finally rounding out a little tiny bit. Still very piney, though. And yes, duh, has that green + aquatic feel to it.

Verdict: Pass. I love having a piney tree in the house for the holidays, but I don't care to smell like one. I think I'm just a bit over the cleaner smells and aquatics in general. (I'm really not a 'water' person. :P)

Inside the imp, it's sweet aquatic fir.

Wet on the skin, still getting that sweet aquatic fir scent. Very feminine. Drys down to sugared fir. Strangely, the jasmine was nowhere to be found on my skin.

In the imp: I have to sniff a couple times to get a good read on the scent. Definitely aquatic... with a hint of fir needles in there somewhere...

Wet on my skin: The fir comes out more forcefully. Forcefully being a relative term as I can barely smell this scent at all even though I slathered it at my wrists and elbows. No florals at all.

Drying/Dry: This was a good choice for a hot day. It's light and aquatic. A bit salty. The piney fir element goes well with the salt water. The florals never showed for me...

Hmmphm. Im not really to fond of aquatics but I'll give it my best shot!

Wet this like aquatic pine/fir. That touch of greenery with the aquatics of " Sea of glass".

Then literally the fir dies and leaves behind the aquatic...I'm still waiting for the flowers.

Hmm...this blend does turn slightly sweeter eventually, but mainly just remains a run of the mill aquatic on me. I just don't think they like me very much!!

:(

imp: light piney aquatic.

wet: this is very like a snow scent on my skin... the aquatic scent has turned snowy and with the pine has a cold feel to it. this reminds me of the snow storm a bit.

dry: yep, i'll be needing a bottle of this one, this is a little brighter aquatic than snow but it's exactly the kind of aquatic i like. it's not overpowering but sweet and clean. that plus pine is lovely on me.

Oh yes. This is BEAUTIFUL. An aquatic that doesn't smell all Cool-Water-for-Men.

Light and beautiful. The jasmine isn't too prominent, so jasmine-haters, don't be scared! Try it!

This is a lovely aquatic. When it's wet, it almost has a sweet fruitness about it, but then as it dries down, the jasmine comes out to play. It isn't to complex. Just a lovely watery jasmine with a touch of pine. Not bottle worthy, but it is worth keeping the imp to wear when it's hotter than six shades of hell outside!

Imp: Jasmine and fir. Man, I always forget that fir is such an amazing scent.

Wet: Continues to be jasmine and fir. A bit of saltiness creeping through and a sort of magnolia-like muskiness that is probably the hyacinth.

Dry: Wow, I really like this. The ocean water adds this beautiful salty water quality that mingles with the florals to just smell... wow. Lovely. And then the fir sort of makes it interesting to my nose and kind of makes it smell, well, like my style. A lovely balance of delicate, feminine florals and glorious, glorius fir.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: I don't even really know what impelled me to get this imp. It is wonderful, however, and I think I am definitely in need of a bottle. This is lovely.

Very pretty. in the imp I get a honeyed aquatic, reminding me of Selkie, one of my favorite bpals. On my skin the fir and florals balance the sweet water and I'm just loving it. On the dry down, the fir is coming out on me a bit more than I would like, but....it's still summer and I'm feeling the Selkie love. I could see this becoming my winter version of Selkie and just loving it!