Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Kimbernunk

Nowhere in Particular

Late in the evening, tired and happy and miles from home, they drew up on a remote common far from habitations, turned the horse loose to graze, and ate their simple supper sitting on the grass by the side of the cart. Toad talked big about all he was going to do in the days to come, while stars grew fuller and larger all around them, and a yellow moon, appearing suddenly and silently from nowhere in particular, came to keep them company and listen to their talk.

The scent of a moonlit night on the road, orchards in the distance, and swirling dust.

OHMYWOW.

In the bottle and wet on my skin, this is mostly ozone.

As it dried down, the ozone threatened to go dryer sheet on me, which made me nervous. But I figured I'd let it finish drying before I worried too much about it.

And then it dried.
Dry, after about an hour, this has a definite ozone base, but there are TREES. REAL LEAFY TREES. WITH APPLES ON THEM. AT NIGHT.
This strikes me very much as a cooler-weather scent - like a late autumn evening rather than a summer evening. The tree scent (which I'm thinking is perhaps a touch of something woody along with a lot of something leafy, but green leaves rather than red ones) is really balanced well with the ozone. Hanging out on top of this is the slightest drop of apple - it's not something I notice unless I think about it but it's very clear then. There does also seem to be the faintest scent of something dusty, like it hasn't rained on the trees in a while.

This is gorgeous and perfectly evocative of the description.
Verdict: 5/5 and very happy I took the chance on an unsniffed bottle!

Seriously, I can't stop slathering this on myself. It's wonderful. Such an unassuming description but this blend is one huge winner from the recent Yule update. Initially it starts off quite cologney, almost like Irish Spring in that there's a fresh, grassy burst of aquatic mist, tickling at my nose a touch, but definitely dewy, swirly, light fog (not peasoup fog), over a base of that same pretty grass note as in A Blade of Grass but with less leaves and overt mowed lawn. Over time as the scent evolves it deepens just a bit and goes from a misty aquatic into a sweet, light misty apple. Fairy Apple. There, I said it. Yes. It's quite subtle, so not like SGA apple or Hesperides apple, but this is a pretty, misty, night-picnic with sliced apples aroma.

ETA: In locket after 12 hrs this is a grand failure, probably because by the time I've worn it for 12 hours it's changed its balance. In my clocket, it kept amping the 'soapy note' and it was quite verdantly aquatic sharpitude in the AM, at the end of my night float shift. Oddly enough, on skin, it gets eaten real quick and that's why I got more apples before.

Edited by Lycanthrope

in the bottle- ummmmm... I don't know about this

wet on skin- ummmmm... I still don't know about this

dry on skin- oh! yes. it is just what I wanted it to be. a moonlit night on a county road, there are trees, moonlight, a bit of dust, some grass and way in the background the apples.

In bottle/imp: This is very ozone-y, with a bit of some kind of tree (cypress perhaps?) and something herbal and woody.

Immediately on skin: This is incredibly strong on the ozone once I put it on my skin. Under that I get an herbal soapiness and an end note of something almost floral, but it’s very fleeting.

After a little while: Ah, the orchards have come out. The ozone still lingers, but it’s overshadowed by this smooth woody fruitiness blended with soapy herbs. A touch of apples, perhaps, but it’s not a very distinctive apple note. This scent is smooth, dark, and a touch cool. Not icy, but cool. The soapy note really distracts me from enjoying the rest of the scent however.

Overall Impressions: This scent reminds me of a cool night. The ozone, which is strong at first, softens nicely and this settles down into this well-blended, cool, smooth, fruity scent. This is unisex, but maybe leaning towards feminine due to the fruit in it. But the ozone keeps it from being too girly, which is nice, too. Unfortunately something in this strikes me as soapy, so I don’t love it, but I like it.

In pipette: wonderfully soft - moonlit and apple-y.

Wet on skin: lovely, subdued, fruity, musky floral, although I think there's some jasmine in there. I want more of this to test it better. The scent it's closest to is Kali.

Dry on skin: it's just a little bit thin and sour. The apples are (cleverly) in the distance! It's not cold, but it does conjure up a sense of dust and moonlight.

This smells like soap to me. Fancy nice, slightly aquatic scented soap, but soap nonetheless. It would be nice in the shower but not something I'd want to wear out.

In The Bottle

Cool air, grass and something sweet in the distance

On Application

Grass, apples and cold air

Dry Down

I agree with the comments about this smelly soapy. It is distracting. But underneath that this is wonderfully true to the concept - grass and dust with fruit laden apple trees in the distance and always there is the cool air. I am hoping this will smell less soapy as it ages.

Rating (0-5)

I keep trying to love this. At the very end, hours later, I do get a dusty road with orchards and the like, but until then it's all ozone and apples. I'm still trying to figure out the perfect time to wear this scent, as it's a little too neutral for my every day tastes.

Soapy :P This reminds me of Enraged Bunny Musk, which was piercingly sharp and soapy / floral on my skin. I do get a hint of apples, but the ozone note in this is giving my a headache, so off it goes!

in the imp: grass

wet on skin: GRASSGRASSGRASS!

The drydown: LOVELYYYYYY. Grass still dominates but I get lovely clean flowers and faint apples as well.

I was excited about this one for a couple of reasons. The notes themselves are intriguing, and also the concept, even aside from the place in the Wind in the WIllows story. I've done a lot of driving around to small places that might not be anywhere in particular, but are still very meaningful in some way (for me, that way is usually geological, sometimes musical); I'm hoping Nowhere In Particular will nail the beauty of small places, even if they're different small places from the ones I know.

In the imp: Ozone and faint fresh greenness.

Wet on skin: Mostly ozone. The green is there if I think about it.

Drydown: Freshly dry, the ozone has receded a lot already, though it's still there at the back of my nose, along with something faintly sweet and fruity. Dust is definitely coming into the foreground now, though it is also subtle; it's not taking over from anything. At one hour in, the vague greenness has really turned into a proper orchard - a mix of warm fruit and foliage. It's still definitely distant, though. It's obscured by dust, and by something else I can't quite figure out. There's not really any ozone anymore.

Five hours later: This is barely perceptible anymore; the whiffs that I do get still are of the orchard smell.

End of the day: Gone.

Overall:When this is fresh, it reminds me a bit of several somewheres in particular, though it evades being any one of them dead on. I am so very sad, however, that this doesn't last longer! It's unique and beautifully evocative in the early stages of wear - there's definitely dust and definitely fruit retaining residual heat from the day but definitely not actual atmospheric heat anymore! - but it's gone so fast that it's like speeding past this spot, rather than enjoying a slow trip down that road.

straight sniff from imp is like autumn leaves with spice and florals...

itz ok...not a fav but so happy i got to try it out....

Clean, green, and faintly fruity. I'll agree that this smells like a really nice soap or room scent, but the faint ozoneyness isn't going to agree with my head too well.

In the bottle: I don't know what this smells like, exactly, but it's nice. There's some shadowy floral, some herb, a bit of apple, and it feels all dark blue.

Wet: Sweeter than in the bottle, but the floral intensifies. It's sharp, like the flower of an herb. The apple impression is gone. Still very dark blue.

Half an hour: This smells almost aquatic to me. I can't make out any notes in it any more, and it's more sharp than sweet. I never did well with aquatics, maybe that's the explanation.

One hour: Sweeter than last time, more evergreeny almost (or is it herbal?) with the floral impression. But overall it reads aquatic, or maybe airy somehow. I'm not liking it very much.

Two hours: Still sort of airy-aquatic, I don't know exactly. It's not me, even though it's interesting.

Three hours: Still get that evergreen-herbal note, but it's gone more woodsy now, maybe oakmoss or something like that? Definitely tannic, but gently so, almost like sandalwood.

Ten hours: Still airy-aquatic and herbal-evergreen-woody. At this point it smells more like a classic French perfume than anything else, so I'm guessing a fougere.

I shared the entire WitW line with a non-BPAL friend, and this was her favorite of the whole bunch. I may have to enable her with the rest of this bottle!

bottle: sharp greenery. this is very similar to both october and november.

wet: this is sharp and grassy light irish spring with the volume turned way up.

dry: this dries a bit tamer but it's still quite strong. intense grass.

At first this is all ozone and grass. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

As it dries, it softens and takes on the dreaded soap note I was so afraid of. :P Where are my apples? Where is my dust?

A bit further and I can feel the apples struggling to come out, but they can't quite break free. The soap is just too strong for them. Poor apples, they never stood a chance. (cue funeral march)

sigh

ITI: It's got that astringency that many scents have ITI. I'm not sure what this smells like, but it smells pretty good!

Wet: Starts of quite strong with a blast of...I guess that's the ozone everyone has been mentioning? I can smell the dusty note, which I was hoping would stay in the far background because dust and I do not get along at all.

Dry: Dusty detergent right now.

Drydown: Whoo, the dust is powerful! This makes me want to sneeze.

After time, it mellows to something completely different. It's very reminiscent of the title now. Smells like dreamy, dusty apples. Still a little ozone, but not much.

Final Thoughts: This is rather nice...soft, fresh, and dreamy...but it's not worth the sneezy feeling it gives me early on. Swap/sell.

This went on very laundry detergent/Irish Spring for me also. Now that it's drying there's a rich, fresh grass scent dominating everything. Monster throw on this one! Sweet, too. I like this quite a lot but I'm a little worried about it overpowering the Mr.'s sensitive nose. Mmm, sweet, cool mist cropping up now. I'll be really curious to see how this one dries down. Very evocative :P

Edited to say that this lasted an amazingly long time! All day strong and vibrant with the apples showing up several hours into the dry stage. Wow!

Edited by rayvn1

Yet another blend I ordered a decant of because the notes were too interesting to pass up.

First impression on my skin is GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN. Super green. Like I am rolling around in a bag of green green leaves. After a little while I get the apple note that other people seem to pick up on, but it's so sharp I don't really care for it.

If you are a leafy green scent lover, you need a bottle of this right away. It's almost as green as a Blade of Grass.

In the imp I get a dusty scent with a hint of....lemon? Well, I guess lemons do grow on trees so technically it could be a lemon orchard they're talking about in the description, but somehow I don't think so. Maybe that's the ozone peaking out.

Wet - Yep, definitely the ozone. So far it's a clean, ozoney scent. I guess the dust got blown away.

It starts going a little soapy though if I sniff too much or right up on where I applied, but I get the loveliest wafting scent of apple trees now. It actually smells like a moonlit apple orchard! A few times it seems to get a bit chemical-y, but only every now and then.

bought a bottle, and am gonna give it another sniff but sofar it's um "nothing in particular" but I love the name so will give it another chance.I do smell green, but maybe also dusty-like a dusty road.it wasnt an immeidate NO,nor was it a covet more kind of bottle

light, clear and hard t sniff on me so far!

Upon application, this smells like Irish Spring soap/generic dryer sheets to me. It's not unpleasant, but it's not really "me." Then, about 5 minutes later, it's delicious apple orchard. It fades quickly, so I have to re-apply often.

I smell a lot of dry leaves at first, which I love. I love the leaf note that's in October and Blade Of Grass, and I think it's here too. I personally don't get ozone or much of anything 'cologney' like some other people got. To me it's more of a natural scent.

After 30 minutes to an hour, the scent does an about face and it becomes all about the fruit. It is in the mood of apple, but not such a strong apple as something like Coral Snake. It's more like the suggestion of apples. It's kind of hard to pin this scent down, as the description might suggest, it's kind of dreamy and non-specific. I can't very often pick out that dust note and this is no exception. The leaves are still there, but they moved to the background somewhat.

This is a great scent, and I will have to consider whether I need more than a decant. It's somewhat similar to October, and I already have a bottle of that. However....Nowhere In Particular has a more natural feel, and it makes me think......this is kind of what I wanted from Chant D'Automne, which didn't work out for me. This is the mood that I wanted from that scent, but so much more gentle, soft, and dreamy.

Decant: clean…like a full moon on a winter’s night

Wet on Me: Still clean…still that moonlight scent. Full moon in a warm

place in the winter. Must be the orchid

Drying Down: this fades very quickly. More orchid and less clean moon

Dry: this faded into a light orchid floral scent. Almost a fruity floral