Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
clephan

How long do bottles & imps last?

I slather it on. I have very dry skin that soaks it up and I like my scent to be a bit noticeable (not that I marinate in it or anything)......I also touch up after about 8 hours of wear. Depending on the scent ....O lasts a long time, Snake Oil lasts long and requires less, Dana Oshee requires more, etc. I can go thru a half a bottle in a few wears. I'd say a bottle would last me about 6-7 wears. I'm talking about a 5 ml. Therefore, if I really think I'm gonna like something, I get 2 bottles or a 10 ml. I know you ladies probably think I'm nuts, cuz I know some of you tend to dab and imps last you forever, but to each his own...........I guess! I also have been known to use my oil in a sea salt/epsom salt bath or with my fragrance free lotion and that really uses it up also. I'm a real BPAL whore!

Depends on how many scents you rotate. I was rotating between 2 5mls from my first order and I think they lasted maybe 4 months or so. I slather as well.

Depends on how many scents you rotate.  I was rotating between 2 5mls from my first order and I think they lasted maybe 4 months or so.  I slather as well.

Oh no, how will I ever live on just a 5ml of Alice and a 5ml of Dana O'Shee?

::plots another order:: :P

I generally use 2-3 drops at a time from my bottles -- slightly more or less depending on the strength of the oil on my skin. I have 10 bottles at the moment, and have barely made dents in any... except The Hesperides and Queen of Spades.

I got my first bottle at the beginning of August. If that gives you an idea.

How long do 5 mL's usually last for you all?

I'm trying to figure out how many to order of the LE's.

On me, probably around 3 months, maybe more... I get 20-30 wearings out of an imp.

I'm also one of those people who amplify scents.

Well, seeing as how I get about 5 wears out of an imp (I guess that classifies me as a slatherer, eh?), I'd say a 5mL would last me about a month if I wore it every day. I've never actually used an entire 5mL so that's just my quasi-scientific estimation. :P

I haven't finished a 5ml bottle yet either - but I get about 10 wearing out of an imp, maybe a couple more for stronger scents, so a 5ml worn constantly would probably last me for 6-8 weeks.

However, as you can see by the earlier replies different people use wildly different amounts of oil! If you wanted to get an accurate time for yourself it's probably easiest to see how long it takes you to use up an imp, then multiply that by 5. I guess you won't have time for that if you're thinking about Yule LE perchases though... personally, I just bought as many of them as I could afford :P

Please, please, use the search function. The identical thread was just on the next page. I just merged them. :P We have a great search function here, please use it.

So now I'm worried that, once my imps arrive, I'll fall madly in love with them and use them up in a matter of days and will have to wait a month until we can once again be reunited. Weep!

I have normal skin I suppose, not too oily or dry, and I ordered a 5ml of Snow White and Imps of Blood Rose, Snake Oil, Jezebel, Veil, Fae, and Oneiroi. I would like to be able to have my scent noticed by other people, perhaps within an arms distance or so. When I put just regular lavender oil on my wrists and neck, it can only be detected by sniffing the site of application, it doesn't really 'waft in the air' as I'd like. Will these be able to last me for 5 weeks? Should I wait a week or two and order a couple more imps to fill in the gap?

Additionally, are there any special ways of applying for maximum effectiveness? I think using carrier oils or adding drops to lotion will help to stretch the scent out, but would it be as strong?

Additionally, are there any special ways of applying for maximum effectiveness?  I think using carrier oils or adding drops to lotion will help to stretch the scent out, but would it be as strong?

Sometimes it can help your scents last, especially if it's a scent that tends to fade quickly. Then making a lotion of it and applying the perfume on top can lengthen its life span, especially if you have dry skin that sucks up all the perfume.

I tend to have oily skin, plus I live in a hot climate where I sweat off perfume pretty easily, unfortunately. I haven't counted how many uses I've gotten from a bottle, really. Maybe 30? I feel like I'm being slutty with my applications. :P I think a lot of it too is that I'm desensitized to it and can't smell it on myself that strongly even when other people can sometimes. Like I'll get a compliment on a scent that I think is totally faded, so that skews my idea of how much to wear.

I agree with the lotion idea. I used only about two drops of Mabon in two ounces of lotion, and it lasted me a week of putting it literally all over my skin. I used it after showers, during the day, everywhere. It was lovely. You might want to check the lotion thread, though - DarkSwan posted some very important bacteria issues we should all be aware of.

~bubbles

Okay, now after reading all of this, I feel like a HUGE idiot. I guess I should have read this BEFORE I ordered.... :P I was so excited and in a rush to order, that I thought I was saving money by ordering the bigger 10ml bottle so I ordered a couple, ummm, like 4 10ml bottles and 6 imps, (well I was really excited to order I guess) and now reading this I guess I will be wearing and re-applying and giving some away for like - ever.

Urghhhhhh.....

If only I had read everything before I had purchased. I don't want to cancel my order because I am halfway there of my waiting period of receiving it. I am so excited to get them that I can't wait another month if I cancel and reorder.....what to do, what to do....

I think I have the world's most sensitive nose. If I wore enough Samhain or Black Cat to kill a 5mL in a month I'd be a walking migraine (and people around me would complain).

I radiate off a lot of heat though, so smells come off of me really easily...

I haven't even made a dent in my Samhain

I also put some in my lotion and in my fragrance free soap,

Lorajc, what a great idea...I wonder if I could make the hand soap in my kitchen smell nicer - I use it so often.

I usually finish a fragrance when I use it to slather on myself or in my oil burner. This takes me about 3 months. This is for performance, I reapply very often before and after performances, They go really fast for me.

Nadirah, that really make me miss performing. I did modern dance when I was in college, but I don't think it ever occurred to me to wear perfume oils during performances. What a missed opportunity! I could have established scent associations that would bring back all those memories more vividly now.

Ah well... :P

If only I had read everything before I had purchased.  I don't want to cancel my order because I am halfway there of my waiting period of receiving it.  I am so excited to get them that I can't wait another month if I cancel and reorder.....what to do, what to do....

You could always decant off some imps for swapping to people? I have the exact opposite problem - I only ordered imps in my first order, and now I'm desperate for a larger bottle of one of the scents, but i know I won't get it in time for when I need it. :P

Thanks for the suggestion! I think I will definitely have to do that. Especially reading on how long just one little imp lasts. And (umm) not to mention I just bought 6 imps from a lovely forumite this morning to feed my newest addiction.... So I am sure that I will be selling little imps soon. I already bought little vials - so they will be coming soon (I'm sure my husband is going to be thinking that I am going crazy with internet shopping again....ummmmm)

I think only 2 1/2 more weeks until my bottles arrive.....whoohooo!!

My 5mls are disappearing at an alarming rate. I thought "Wow, look how much oil is in here, and I use so little of it, this should last forever!"...nope. I doubt I even have 6 months for the ones I wear regularly (not even daily.)

Oh man, I go through oils shamefully quick. I killed a 5ml of Samhain in two weeks. I am a slatherer though, and also like to drip a few drops onto my scalp. And I really like to smell my scents- not just a tiny bit, but noticeably, all day.

-Rae

Oh man, I go through oils shamefully quick. I killed a 5ml of Samhain in two weeks. I am a slatherer though, and also like to drip a few drops onto my scalp. And I really like to smell my scents- not just a tiny bit, but noticeably, all day.

-Rae

'Shamefully quick' pretty much sums up how fast I went through the 5ml of 'Haunted' a friend gave me only but 2 months ago. Now I'm waiting on a 10 ml of it. At this rate, I'm going to need a 20 ml of it the next time around! If the lab made 20mls, I'd be one of the people in line :P

That 5ml lasted me, as I said, 2 months. When I latch on to a scent... it goes fast. Especially when I'm mixing it with unscented lotion, adding it to my bath, and keeping decanted drams of it with me at all times.

-Leslie

I'm beginning to worry that since I don't make a dent in anything unless I actually spill it, that all of these bottles (about three dozen 5 mls at last count with more on the way) are going to go bad before I even use an imp's worth of the oil in them.

So, a couple of questions relating to this topic:

Anyone have problems with oils going bad before you finish off a bottle? How old is your oldest bottle, and is it still good?

I would just hate to have to replace 30 almost-full bottles in a year because I don't use enough in each application!

(I keep them in a cool, dark, dry place. At least until the summertime...I don't know if I'll be able to find a cool place then!)

an imp lasts me about 3 fairly liberal applications. usually in a few days, it's gone. i cannot BELIEVE there are some lucky sh*ts out there who can make an imp last thru 15 apps!

perhaps it's the extremely arid climate in colorado, but even though i really liberally lube myself up....i end up reapplying many times to get even *some* effect. :D i have a couple of 5mls i don't expect to last more than a month.

and when posters say they pop the lid & put a drop on & everyone can smell it for miles?? consider yourselves LUCKY. :P