Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
iiinterstate

MVJBA: Pancake Breakfast

Buttermilk pancakes with boysenberry syrup and goat butter!

Pardon me if there's another topic already!
I ordered this bottle against my better judgment. Foody is a risk, but for this blend, I had to take it. And as of now I am not sorry.

In the bottle this is very very sweet, no surprise there. On my skin it smells like...well...buttery pancakes. But I'm not talking Bisquick. I mean real from-scratch pancakes like the ones my dad used to cook up on Saturday morning. And shockingly, it's not cloying in the least. I actually don't get much of the boysenberry syrup at all, which is the note I expected would dominate. Love it.

Edit: about half an hour later, the boysenberry comes out to play. When I sniff my wrist up close it's definitely a key player in the blend, but in terms of throw, it's more like an afterthought.

Husband also rates it 10 out of 10 for accuracy and deliciousness. Edited by Shollin

This totally smells like a stack of fresh cooked pancakes. First on it is all syurpy sweetnes - no fruit at all. And then it starts to warm up and the yeasty pancake smell really comes out. Full on fluffy pancakes. Crazy! The syrup hangs around but I really don't get any berries on my skin.

in the bottle: syrup and butter! :D

wet on skin: the boysenberry makes itself known, but doesn't overpower. yup- this is a pancake breakfast, alright! :D

dry down: it has morphed slightly, leaving all traces of pancake and butter behind and what's left is Boysenberry Syrup. YUM!

in all: definitely for the Foodies, like myself, but not overpowering either. the throw is actually pretty light, stays close to the skin, and really leaves me with the impression that i just enjoyed a great weekend breakfast with friends- nothing more or less.

:P

This is a buttery, distinctly foodie smell on me. It reminds me a great deal of Cockaigne without the latter's sweet syrup note. Every now and then I get whiffs of plastic, which worries me a little. Overall, I think foodie lovers will appreciate this. I know I'll be reaching for it when I'm hungry. I just wish there was a little more of the berry syrup. However, this is still nummy.

3.5/5

ETA: Okay, roommate just came in and said our room smells like pancakes. Let's bump this puppy up to a 4/5!

Edited by inurbanus

In the bottle, it smells like buttery, syrupy pancakes. Mmmm pancakes....

Wet on the skin, I get more of a caramel scent with the fruity boysenberries coming out.

Initial drydown, it's straight pancakes drenched in syrup and butter.

About 7 hours later (applied before I went to bed last night), it's straight syrup.

I love it! Not something for me to wear every day, but definitely enjoyable on occasion!

Absolutely, 100% accurate description. This is actually reminicent of Eat Me on my skin; the currant/berries behave the same way, coming out obviously at first, and then backing down to hang in the background. The "cake" part of the pancakes is also similar in strength/tone to Eat Me's cakes, but this is a more bready breakfast scent, as opposed to a dessert scent. Drizzled in maple-y goodness with a hint of berry.

To further reiterate the above reviews that this is dead-on pancakes, my boyfriend came up to me today, snorfled my neck, and then tried to bite me. When I asked why he was trying to eat me, he said, "Because you smell like pancakes." No lie.

There's an oddly nutty note to this when freshly applied but it dries down into a yummy, buttery pancake smell with a hint of fruity syrup. It doesn't seem to have much throw but I kind of like that in a foody scent like this (keeps people from asking me where the pancakes are the minute I walk in the room). Tasty!

This smells exactly like delicious pancakes in the bottle. On the skin, it was more of a sweet berry syrup scent. Two of my co-workers commented on this scent today. One said I smelled like food. The other asked if I smelled something sweet. When I told them it was a pancake scent, they were both like "yeah, that's what it is!" :P

Yeah. This is

fucking

perfect.

I don't have much to add here, it's just exactly pancakes with boysenberry syrup. I'm obsessed.

I can't live without a gallon of this scent.

:D :( :P :D :D :D :D

6 out of 5

Perfectly browned, cakey pancakes with just a tiny hint of butter scent and oozing with sweet berry syrup.

LOVE IT. I am totally reminded of Crumpet Rebellion when I put this on, but this has more background sweetness and the cake note is less buttery.

The berry note fades on my skin and turns to maple syrup but stays true berry cake on my sleeve.

Buy this now. Get it before it gone. :P

Miskatonic Valley Junior Baseball Association, Pancake Breakfast

In Bottle: Oh, this is so freaking yummy. The smell of maple-y, caramel-y pancakes and the boysenberry air all over it. Oh, I have to stop myself from burying my nose in it.

Wet: The boysenberry overtakes and continues its rich sugary goodness.

Dry: Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum. That's all I can say. The delicious maple sugar continues to match the boysenberry for every step. It's rich and cake-y, too--I can smell the butter that has to have been used to make these fantastically rich. (No mustiness at all, either, on my skin, which is one of the sad fates of many of my favorite foody scents!)

Overall: Immediately one of my favorites.

Yum, foody caramel! The berry is coming up, too. And a hint of butter. This is nice, it's the berries that I get the most.

bottle: creamy, cakey caramel.

wet: this is more cakey on me than anything else. i don't get butter or boysenberries or syrup. just cake.

dry: the cake is doing that weird synthetic plastic thing it sometimes does on my skin. drat. i'll just content myself with sniffing the bottle.

Wet in bottle - Maple syrup, pancake batter, a very light cream and a hint of berries.

Wet on skin - Pancakes and butter with maple syrup. The berry is very faint.

Dry on skin - Mmmm, the boysenberry has really come out! It totally smells like delicious whole wheat berry pancakes with butter and maple syrup! I love that the syrup isn't oaty like Gunpowder ended up on me. How does Beth make this magic???

In the bottle this smells foody, cakey, and rich with a definite thick sweetness and the scent of butter added to it.

On my skin, this immediately turns into the nutty pastry crust note that can be found in Bloody Mary, Pumpkin Cheesecake, Beaver Moon 05, and lightly in Gingerbread Poppet. It is slightly salty, very crusty, and absolutely horrid on me. Here, it's mixed with a light helping of syrupy berries and salty butter spread over the top.

This scent is a little sweet on me, but it smells very heavily of grains and nuts. Unfortunately, this one's a huge disappointment on me :P

When I first the heard the initial concept of this I was SO THERE. When it was released and I saw the actual notes I was EVEN MORE THERE. And now I am wearing it and it is AWESOME. This is not a blend for everyone. You will REALLY have to want to smell like food to want to wear this. It is very strong. Even one of my coworkers recognized this smell from a couple cubicles down. Fluffy pancakes, buttered, and covered in boysenberry (I LOVE THIS BOYSENBERRY NOTE) syrup. Just what the description says. AMAZING! :P

Edited by Suu4LC

straight sniff from bottle this is phenomenal...totally buttermilk pancakes and goat butter!!!

ya gotta be lovin' that goat butter....

i wore this to the grocery store the other day and everyone was commenting....

comments: i smell something

really good...one person said they smelled bacon :P huh?? someone else said they smelled

pancakes....yay!!! someone else said they smelled bbque ribs...sooooo funny....of course i did not utter

a word...let them keep on guessing and snickering to my own self...the beauty of it?

no one even pointed to me and asked me if it was my perfume...that is what i love the most about

the lab's blends...itz not like a traditional perfume that clings...it wafts...

anyway...i adore it...it smells divinely of pancakes, goat butter and boysenberry....superb....

Edited by sookster

First off, this was a free bottle (Frottle?) from the Trading Post after there was a mix-up with an order that was lost. Thank you, Puddin' and the labbies that packed this in with the wonderful little pouch I ordered!

In imp: Eep! It’s almost a gaggy candle scent, very heavy on the sweet and creamy notes. Even though it says boysenberry syrup, I smell maple in there, too. Concentrated breakfast.

Wet on skin: The candle scent is still around, but the berries have come out, too. And to be perfectly honest, from a good distance away, it DOES smell like pancakes with butter and syrup. It’s bizarre. I also have to keep the dog and cat away from my wrists; they’ll lunge and attempt to lick it off it I don’t.

Drydown: Sticky-sweet syrup. Non-foodie scent lovers beware, you WILL smell like fresh pancakes and syrup. The cakes and butter have faded, and the scent is sticking much closer to my skin at this point and not jumping out into people’s faces. The scent reminds me of a country crafts store somehow.

Overall: To be honest, I would not have given this 5ml a second glance normally, but it was an extra tucked into a late package. The funny part? I actually wear it! It’s perfect for these chilly, bleak fall college days when I need something warm and comforting without dipping into my favorite fuzzy musks or incense blends. This little bottle is staying with me!

In the bottle: oh my god, syrupy syrupy pancakey goodness.

On my wrist wet: syrupy syrupy.....wait, where did the syrup go?? Cry cry! It turns into dry pancake mix on me -- all the sweetness went out in less than a second flat. I was heartbroken.

BUT THEN....

I decided to try it on my hair. I dabbed two dots on, not a lot at all, and low and behold, the syrupy-ness stayed much better than when on my actual skin. And the best part? This has AMAZING staying and throw power. I put it in my hair around 10:30 am, and when my boyfriend got home at 10pm, he was like, YOU SMELL LIKE PANCAKES. And I could still smell them too when I tossed my hair.

I'm really tempted to buy a backup bottle, but must get funds...om nom nom!

:P I was sure this would be the most fabulous bpal ever. All the notes are so perfect for me. But alas! It was not to be. I am sooooo disappointed.....

In the bottle/decant: pancake batter (not at all sweet, just very....battery. Stick your nose in a box of bisquick and you'll see what I mean), a little butter, and perhaps a slight hint of syrup (not really boysenberry....just a general hint of sugary sweetness)

Wet on skin: about the same, except I can almost smell the boysenberry......almost

Dry: bisquick (again, not at all sweet) with a little butter. Occasionally, I get a slight whiff of syrup (again, just a generic sugary sweetness). Absolutely NO boysenberry

This scent is unbelievably faint on me

I guess if you like the smell of pancake batter, this would be your scent. I was hoping for boysenberry syrup (and lots of it), butter, and COOKED pancakes

In the bottle/decant, I'd rate this a 2.5 out of 5

On my skin, it's more like a 2 out of 5

Edited by SurrealReality

I absoutely LOVE this one! When I open the bottle the first thing I smell is the goat butter! Then when I put it on it smells like buttery buckwheat pancakes, not just pancakes but buckwheat pancakes (you can really smell the difference). I don't get the syrup until after I've worn it for a while. This one is just awesome!

Hrrrm.

I dunno about this one. I'm not a huge foodie.

Wet, this is a slight tinge of that red-gingery goaty aroma from Shub and a little bit of War, then definitely PANCAKEZ, over time the bready cake scent fades to a very light berry, almost a touch like MB: Closet. All this over a slightly cooked steamy aroma.

So, yes, this is Pancakes. I just don't know if I'm going to reach for it much... but I may just get a bottle to hold onto for the sheer strangeness of it all. It's like my Shill, heh heh.

This smells just like pancakes, with rich boysenberry syrup, with a slight hint of maple! :P I am always impressed with beth's ability to create a perfume that smells just like breakfast and that makes me hungry when I sniff it! :D

I'm still on the fence with this one. I got it in a swap and don't regret it. The pancake part smells nice and fluffy, but it's overpowered by the boysenberry and well...the berry just isn't doing it for me. Maybe a different kind of syrup would make me happier. Or just none.

ETA: I put it on last night and could still smell it the next morning. Dayum. It's not a potent scent, but it sure lasts!

Edited by Teggy

In the bottle, this is nothing but buttery syrup to my nose.

On my skin at first, it's pretty much the same. After a few minutes, the pancakes come forth, giving off a warm, bread-type smell that's very soft and comforting to me.

Ten minutes later, I can smell a bit of the berry coming through. The berry note strengthens over time as the buttery syrup disappears. It reminds me of berry scented dolls, a bit plastic-y, but I still like it.

I love the pancake smell, so I'm glad that the note doesn't disappear. Something in this goes plastic-y and artificial, though, so it makes me think of cake and berry scented toys. Thus, it seems like a comforting, playful scent to me. I like it a lot.

I was worried that this would be sickeningly sweet on me, but it's not. I'm glad that I have two bottles, and I *might* try to pick up a third. :P

ETA: Not picking up a third bottle, lol. This scent has gotten the worst reaction from my hubby-to-be (he actually started gagging and made me get away from him o_O). When I asked him what was wrong with it, he just said that it smelled horribly wrong and made him feel nauseous. It might be too sweet or buttery for him, but he said it's his least favorite of all of my perfumes. In any case, Pancake Breakfast will just have to hang out with me while he's at work, and get washed off before he gets home, lol.

Edited by Tania