Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Dried orange peels floating in simmering cider, roasted apples, smoldering firewood, chimney smoke, sassafras beer, warm hawthorn wood, and oakmoss.

First impressions: OUCH. There must be cinnamon in here because immediately after I swiped some on my wrist, it got all itchy and red. :D Thankfully, it's since gone away. I mean, it's still a bit itchy, but the redness is mostly gone.

This smells EXACTLY as it's described. I get the cider directly up front with the woods and smoke faintly in the background. The roasted apples comes up after a while and, while it mixes with the cider, it's still slightly different.

It would be helpful if I actually FINISHED my review before posting it. :P

Anyway, this is pretty damn delish. I'll just have to remember to apply LIGHTLY, rather than slathering because of the cinnamon. :x Edited by Shollin

Wet in bottle - Dried orange, cider, apples and oakmoss. A very evocative and rich autumn scent!

Wet on skin - Cider, apples and dried orange peels. This smells like warm, spiced apple cider! It reminds me of Vermont. :P

Dry on skin - The warm, spiced apple cider is still primary, but some more of the wood and oakmoss have come back. I never conceived of a scent that would resemble this, but it smells delicious, crisp and autumnal.

Next to Samhain, this was the fall scent I was most excited about ... and it lives up to the anticipation. Sweet orange and cidery apple, with just a hint of something leaf-like and damp in the background. It's got the same feel as Samhain, but it's different enough that I'll be getting a bottle of it to enjoy the variety. LOVE!

A.

I love apple and autumn, so I took a chance and bought a bottle unsniffed when the update went up.

In the bottle: Warm apple cider, but there's something in the background which I can't pin down, and it makes the scent seem slightly artificial and "off."

On me: When it goes on, whatever it is that I don't like amps up for a moment and then disappears. The smoke and wood amp, eclipsing all other notes, and then die down to a more manageable level. After that, Fearful Pleasure is pretty much what I expected: warm apple cider with wood and smoke. The apple ripe, red, and cooked; not fully mulled, it's only lightly spiced—truly the scent of warm apple cider. I don't smell the orange peel, which is too bad—it would be a lovely touch. The wood and smoke is warm and golden brown, light in tone (if not in strength) and not bitter. They're also stronger than I expected, standing equal with the apple. As a result, this isn't quite a foody blend—it's not just cider, but the act of drinking that warm apple cider indoors in a wood house, sitting before a fireplace. It has a golden red-blond-brown color, and the scent seems to float around the wearer rather than rising from the skin.

Verdict: I wish that the cider were predominant and that I could smell the orange peel; the lack of both is what keeps me from being head over heels in love with the scent. Nonetheless, I do really enjoy it—this is a warm, comforting autumnal scent, and a spot-on, authentic match to the inspiration and the image it conjures. (It does make me want cider, though. >.>) I'll definitely keep my bottle, and I expect I'll wear this often.

It's definitely mulled cider and woodsmoke, very clear and evocative. A bit too bright at times- apples tend to scream when they touch my skin, and sadly my skin tends to redden when anything with cinnamon touches me. So this one's a scent-locket only scent for me.

I have to admit that it's similar to L'autunno to my nose, and I liked that one better (it was a little more deep and complicated).

This is very similar to Samhain and Samhainophobia on me. The difference for me is that Fearful Pleasure is slightly sweeter and more apple-y (but a tart apple, not a red delicious sort of smell) than Samhain. But it's got the same spices and Autumn vibe to it. So if Samhain was too husky for you, you might try Fearful Pleasure as an alternative :D It's pretty but certainly won't take my Autumn scent crown from Samhain :P

It`s fizzy and sparkling apple cider lighted up by the orange peel touch, I don`t know where is the smoke in here but every time I move I feel I `m in a gorgeous party in a room filled with autumn yummi treats. It`s that good.:P

Guh. This is so good. I think I might have to spring for a partial, or something. Cuz this smells like spicy apple cider. And it's delish. Mmm.

This is completely rich apple cider when it first hits the skin. I live in the UK, I know genuine country cider when I smell it! Or should that be cyder, proper Dorset stuff.

The cider reminds me far too much of real cider for me to want to wear it, but it's a short phase. Smoke pops up next, so much so that for a second I wondered what it was I could smell burning! Each waft is slightly different - that one was the smouldering firewood, later distinctly was the chimney smoke, then cidery apples and oranges. It all settles down into a warm rich blend. I love it on me, and I think it'll make an amazing room scent.

Edited by Nisaba

Yum, yum, yum, spiced apple cider!

It's sort of subdued and sadly a little candle-like on my skin, but in my scent locket it's pure deliciousness! I find the less foody the fall scents are, the more they smell like holiday candles :P I need to try it on my skin more to see if I need a bottle.

For once, an apple that doesn't go rancid on me!

Wet, there is a spiced cider with candy apples quality, with something just a little dank and woodsy in the background, like wet leaves. As it dries down, it gets more orange in the mix and gets more overall fruity, more like some cross of mulled wine and cider, and the dank note goes more woodsy. The waft of woodsmoke comes out.

It's a good slug of warm autumn beverage sipped by a hearth, after a walk in the woods!

brand new

In the bottle:

Beer and crisp apples. Mmm!

Wet:

The orange peel and roasting apples stand out - not so much foodie but as if they've been tossed into a bon fire. This totally smells like Autumn to me. My first reaction here is pure love.

Drydown:

Oh my... I'm taking deep huffs of this... this is wonderful. It's a crackling bonfire with cinnamon apple cider - the beer has melded with the apple now. This is a crisp cold night spent keeping toasty near the flames while the wind blows in the dark. I'm very, very happy with this.

It continues to mellow without morphing much - crisp apple cider and smoke on a damp cold night. Three hours later it's gone.

Verdict:

I absolutely love this and am very glad I bought a bottle - I'll be using this a lot over the fall.

This is very similar to Samhain and Samhainophobia on me. The difference for me is that Fearful Pleasure is slightly sweeter and more apple-y (but a tart apple, not a red delicious sort of smell) than Samhain. But it's got the same spices and Autumn vibe to it. So if Samhain was too husky for you, you might try Fearful Pleasure as an alternative :D It's pretty but certainly won't take my Autumn scent crown from Samhain :P

I had the exact opposite experience, with Samhain being very sweet, but Fearful Pleasure being balanced just right with the oakmoss and smokey notes! Really, Fearful Pleasure smells just like simmering spicy apple cider (which is one of my favorite smells in the world), and now that it's been on my skin for a while, I can pick out the oakmoss and woods just a little bit. A truly amazing scent, and I will need some of this! And thanks, moonarcana, for letting me try yours!

Oh, I wanted so much to love this! I'm an apple addict, and an autumnal cider scent sounded absolutely divine. But something in this really, really didn't like my skin chemistry - it turned directly to cheap potpourri, an extremely dull and generic scent. It also made me sneeze. A lot. I ended up having to wash it off to stave off the nasal assault.

Everyone here has covered the notes quite thoroughly, so I won't repeat...

All I can say is that I put this one for the first time this morning and my gut reaction was, "Omigosh, that smells like Halloween!!!" And of course it was love at first sniff. :P

It was very tart at first, but the tartness mellowed quickly, leaving it sweet, spicy and sensual. Unfortunately, on me, the scent did not last long, which surprised me. (Perhaps it's because my skin is very dry right now) I guess I'd have to keep applying throughout the day with this one.

It's gorgeous though, and I doubt my bottle will make it past autumn. I want my entire house to smell like this for the rest of the season.

Oh, I love this. It is the scent of warm apple cider with oranges floating in the punch bowl while faintly in the background, the smoke of burning leaves drifts through an open window. It lasted for quite a while on and the scent stayed true. I really want to order a second bottle.

cherrytart's description above me is perfect. Soft and comforting, like one is drinking hot apple cider next to a warm fire. I bought a bottle because I loved this at Will Call. This may become my staple cold weather scent.

I also think this smells an awful lot like L'Autunno. I actually tried one on each wrist and I couldn't tell them apart for the first 10 min or so. But Fearful Pleasure's drydown was infinitely more complex and beautiful than L'Autunno, imo. A perfect, crisp apple cider scent. LOVE. :P

OM NOM NOM.

Spicy, almost tea-like apple cider with orange and spice. I get a swash of smoke too, from the fire, so it's not overly sweet.

Fabulous scent for autumn and winter! Love it.

When I first put this one, it had the smoky pungent note that reminded me a lot of Hesperides with a stronger apple. When it dried down, that note faded and now there's a hint of smoke in the background. Mulling spices come out more as it dries, and I'm left with something that reminds me of wassail that we always had with our Renaissance Christmas Dinner in college when I sang with an Early Music Vocal Consort. Brings back fantastic memories, and I just LOVE the smell!

Of note, this started to tingle for a moment when I first put it on, so I may have to dilute it a bit or apply sparingly in the future. This didn't have nearly the effect Inferno did on me when I wore that, though -- yeouch!

I had really high hopes for this one but I just get apple from it. Extremely sharp apple. I'm hoping it'll round out a bit with aging *fingers crossed*

In the bottle: You know that part that says, "Dried orange peels floating in simmering cider?" Yeah, shockingly, this is orange peels in apple cider. :P

Wet: Added to the apple cider is a smokey, woody smell in the background. It's warm and lovely and if it continues when dry I'm so getting more.

Dry: The smoke's died down a bit, but it's still perfect apple cider.

Verdict: So glad this turned out to be a good apple on me and not the icky fruit punch certain scents turn. This is just a perfect autumn scent. And! A perfect match for the description. I feel just like I'm curled up in front of a fire, drinking some warm apple cider. Definite bottle!

5/5

Clove cigarettes. Not cigarette smoke exactly, just clove cigarettes in the box. That's definitely my first impression, and it's not a bad one.

On closer examination and given a few minutes, this does have a boiling, hearty, thick cider scent. I don't think I sense any orange peel, but that's okay as it wasn't the main thing I was hoping for. I don't know that I've ever roasted apples, but I imagine this is pretty close to what fire-touched apples would smell like. This oil has an incredibly rich, rustic scent. The kind of thing you want to smell on those days when it gets dark way too early and you just kind of want to eat heavily and hibernate. There's cobwebs and sawdust and creaky floorboards in the dark outer corners of this perfume, but at its height it definitely glows and flickers in a very powerful, orange sort of way.

Absolutely autumn, absolutely authentic. Really good blend.

This is the scent of fall for me.

It is spicy and warm, smoky and woodsy. I get a sense of apple cidar, or spicy chai tea.

This has falls fruits blended with oranges and dried leaves crunching under your feet.

I definitely need a bottle of this.

This is cider heaven! :D Warm and hot and spicy cider, I just wish I could drink this! I can tell I will be wearing it a lot when the weather cools down here. The firewood and smoke are just afterthoughts, and help keep the blend warm without being overwhelming. The only downside to this blend for me is that my skin just drinks it up and within a couple hours it is gone. Guess that just means I'll have to slather a lot :P If you are looking for a good autumn cider scent, do NOT pass this one up!