Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Another of his sources of fearful pleasure was, to pass long winter evenings with the old Dutch wives, as they sat spinning by the fire, with a row of apples roasting and spluttering along the hearth, and listen to their marvellous tales of ghosts and goblins, and haunted fields, and haunted brooks, and haunted bridges, and haunted houses, and particularly of the headless horseman, or galloping Hessian of the Hollow, as they sometimes called him. He would delight them equally by his anecdotes of witchcraft, and of the direful omens and portentous sights and sounds in the air, which prevailed in the earlier times of Connecticut; and would frighten them woefully with speculations upon comets and shooting stars; and with the alarming fact that the world did absolutely turn round, and that they were half the time topsy-turvy!

Dried orange peels floating in simmering cider, roasted apples, smoldering firewood, chimney smoke, sassafras beer, warm hawthorn wood, and oakmoss.

In bottle: This smells of apple cider with some evergreen type trees in the background.

Immediately on skin: This is the spiced cider scent I’ve been waiting for. It isn’t pure cider, but that’s what the heart of this scent is. Floating on top are cinnamon sticks and orange peels. In the background floats dry, warm woods and a hint of smoke.

After a little while: This doesn’t change much as I wear it. I think it just becomes a bit more blended and the wood doesn’t stick out as much any more. This is a wonderfully warm, spicy apple cider scent with a lightly smoky, woody background. It mostly still smells of cider with orange peels and spices (primarily cinnamon). The wood adds a bit of dryness in the background, and I sense the oakmoss as well but that blends completely in with everything else.

Overall Impressions: I have wished and hoped for a bpal cider scent, and this is it: warm, spiced cider with hints of oranges and cinnamon and the other autumn notes lingering secretly in the background. It’s a toasty, cooked apple that doesn’t turn to perfume on me like the other bpal apple notes seem to. It’s very well blended and perfect for autumn lovers like myself. A total winner!!

I am SO glad I went straight to a bottle on this one! It's AMAZING! One of my favorite BPALs ever, for sure!

Okay, so the review:

Wet: Sharp, green apple (uh-oh ... this is not really what I was hoping for...)

Drying: The sharpness subsides, and in its place, I get cloves, a nice spicy note

Drying more and settling in: Oh, muh, guh. It's the most amazing, warm, delicious mulled cider ever. It has that little hit of cinnamon and nutmeg at the back of your throat when you sniff, even, that little sensation that makes you want to gulp down a huge mug and go back for a refill. This stuff's incredible.

Wet, cider and smoke.

Drying, I think I smell the sassafras beer, as well as the spiced cider and smoke. There's a lot of smoke, possibly because there is both chimney smoke and smoldering firewood. I think I smell the roasted apples too.

Y'know, if you are someone who can handle the smoke, this is really very nice.

Edited by Aerinha

in the bottle: the YUMMIEST of apple ciders! :P

wet on skin: same, with a slight touch of autumnal smoke entering the fray. :swoon:

dry down: the smoke has become far more dominant, but the cider is hanging in there :D

in all: a fine fall scent- i'll wear this in a month when i go apple and pumpkin picking for sure!

:D

First impressions: it is a very nice-smelling rash. :P

Fearful Pleasure is a wonderful mulled-cider smelling scent. The cider and spice predominate, and I can't pick out the sassafras beer and get only an indistinct sense of smoke and wood, which is really nice frankly. I could smell the roasted apples in the bottle, but they seem to be subsumed by the cider on.

There's enough cinnamon to make it a bit unwelcome on my skin, probably even when both diluted and applied to an insensitive-seeming place like the back of the wrist. The oil seems long-lasting, in that it's hard to wash off--a pleasant spiced cider scent seems to linger.

Conclusion: I think I'll be seeking out a scent locket of some sort in the near future, or trying to see if I can scent my clothing with it. :D

in the bottle cider with an undercurrent of spice and a very dark, murky orange. this makes me want to whimper.

wet on skin um. hello, dead ringer for punkie night.

dry on skin there's a slight waxiness, just as in punkie night, but it gets a little smokier. it's like punkie night and brimstone, live for one night together. i'm not sure but what the two together smell somewhat like a band-aid fresh out of the box, though. hm. maybe that's the oakmoss.

after a second test, i'm not getting the almost-band-aid smell, so that's good. i actually tested this side by side with punkie night. i like them both and the drydowns are very different, but wet they're near identical, so i'm not sure that i need both.

Edited by ravenfeathers

This is the one I was most looking forward to out of the bottles I ordered, not only from the description, but from the early reviews as well. It's a lovely strong cider with lots of spicy personality in the bottle -- it makes my mouth water. Fortunately, the wood/smoke behind it brings me back to my senses before I drink the damn thing. It's just such a delightful nummy scent. I want candles with this!

In the bottle, this is pure apple cider. Apples, cinnamon, cloves, with a bit of orange peel.

On wet, I get pretty much the same thing.

Once it begins to dry, the smokiness comes out, with maybe a hint of a mossy green scent. This is really wonderful. I love apple cider scents, and this is everything I hoped it would be.

In the bottle: mulled apple cider

Wet: apple mixes with smoke and spices linger faintly in the background

After the dry down: the apple fades to a whisper as the spices come to the surface and mingle with smoke

10 minutes after dry down: hello spices! the apple and the smoke are just barely in the background as the spices take strong hold

This scent is the first that has made me seriously consider getting a scent locket. Usually my skin very nicely stages the apple notes, but the spice notes in this scent refuse to play well with others and have beaten them into submission. I might try this scent again in a few weeks to see if my hormone cycle is playing any part in this.

I think this is my new favorite scent. Def. going into my top ten. It is the cinnamon blend I have been searching for. :P

It's smells EXACTLY like warm mulled apple cider, heavy on the cinnamon and cloves. Thankfully, I am not one of the people that has problems with cinnamon on my skin. If I was I think I would cry and throw a tantrum. :D

Many, many bottles of this will be ordered.

bottle: hello apples! hello cider! hello orange! very bright and crisp.

wet: this is gorgeous spiced cider! seriously, it is incredible how realistic this scent is. the cinnamon is giving me a slight pinkness but it's not as bad as inferno or jailbait.

dry: i swore myself off of second bottles... but this? my goodness! how can i not order a second bottle of the most divine spiced cider scent ever?

I'd say this seems like a variant of "Creepy" except it actually -IS- creepy. It evokes homespun entertainment of days gone by. Horror-stories by the fire.

All the right notes are here and balance very well.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

Well, this is the first of the 'weenies that I'm going to need multiple bottles of.

Wet, its delicious spiced apple. Like very very fresh cider made with the freshest apples imaginable. As it starts to dry, things get smoky and darker, and I pick up the orange peel.

Right now, I'm not getting any sassafras, but this bottle is brand new. I'll test again in a few days but I already love it.

This is too delicious. I'm sure with time it only become ABSOLUTELY amazing. Must have moar.

Damn. Within moments this leapt to the top of my apple favorites. Actually, it may end up near the top of all my favorites. It's a really beautiful apple cider. I get predominantly apple and cinnamon, but it's not candylike. A really lovely fall scent.

I am so, so pleased with this scent. It is more or less exactly what I'd hoped for. It's not heavy on me at all, which is good, because I get the sense that if it were heavier it might be overwhelming. It's light and crisp cider, and I can actually smell dried orange peel. It's incredible. Spiced apples and fruity cider are the main notes coming out on my skin, and I love it. The spices are just so on me, just enough to add a warm autumn edge without overtaking the blend. It doesn't smell overwhelmingly cinnamon-y to me. More like someone added a dash of allspice and a few cloves, along with a pinch of cinnamon.

There's a underlying smokiness that adds a "homey" and more complex feel, and a tiny bit of sassafrass peaks out of the background, giving it just a little bit of bite. I cannot detect the oakmoss itself, but I think it and the smoke add to the overall "stories by the fire in a cabin while drinking cider" feel of this one.

Perfect fall cider scent; couldn't have asked for better! :P

I really think that Fearful Pleasure is going to be the breakout scent of Halloweenies. I can't stop sniffing myself and going, "Damn, that's good!" The spices here are a lot gentler than in other spicy BPAL blends, and when they combine with the oranges and the apples, it's a match made in heaven. The apple note is really sweet, and it reminds me a little bit of Bath and Body Works' Winter Candy Apple scent, which I'm a big fan of. However, I would also agree that this is potpourri-ish, and in fact, I can't help but think of orange pomanders when I smell this. Fearful Pleasure is such a lovely, comforting scent. I would heavily encourage everyone to at least try it.

4.5/5

This one goes on very orangy at first. Then as the oil dries on my skin it morphs and is mostly the wood fire and chimney smoke with a hint of cider in the background. After 10 minutes or so it is starting to fade on my skin, though now the orange and cider is totally gone and I am getting more of a smoky cinnamon from it.

15 minutes later- my skin must really like this one because it is eating it all up and I can hardly smell it anymore.

20 minutes later- gone. Nada. Zip.

I am very sad because for 15 minutes this was a gorgeous fall spicy/smoky scent. But my skin eated it and refuses to give it back. :P

straight sniff from imp is cider and beer...

once applied this amps up and with loads of smoky goodness and apples with orange peels...

after awhile i get a sort of weird band aid note but this fades quickly...

this has great sillage and is another grand and unique halloween perfume =-))

Oh lord! this is the fall scent I have been trying to obtain by buying fall scent candles every year! I have been slathering this on for days and I am in total heaven!

in the bottle: macintosh apple smell with a hint of cinnamon

on skin: cider...then smokey cider...

after 1/2 hour: at my store we sell this stuff during the holidays called Ginger Jack which is apple cider, echinecea and ginger. This is exactly what it smells like, regardless of how long its been since I've put it on. I freaking love it!!!!!!!!!!!

This scent is absolutely gorgeous. It smells pretty much as described, like warm smoky apple cider with orange peels. Unfortunately, I had a total allergic reaction to it, probably cinnamon. :P The up side is, even after washing the red splotched areas of my skin where the oil was applied, the scent lasted all day! I will try it in a scent locket next time. It's too wonderful to let go!

This was my first ever without-reviews and unsniffed 5ml purchase. All along, I was thinking maybe I was too much of a n00b to attempt such a thing, but the description of this (and, actually, a bunch of the other Halloweenies, though I only bought this one) was enough to overrule my logic on these things. Also, before I even start the actual review, I must say that the label art on this is wonderful. I want to see the others!

In the bottle: Duuude. Wow. The most wonderful spiced cider EVAR. Lots of apple with an edge of orange, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. "Good call," I am already telling myself. "GOOD call."

Wet on skin: Much the same, though the fireplace smoke has reared its head. Thank you for showing up, fireplace smoke! The scene has shifted from the cider itself to the scene of drinking cider around the fire. This is still a very good thing.

Drydown: Freshly dry is pretty much the same as wet, and I am not complaining in the least. I am maaaaybe getting a little more spice than before, but it has not drowned out the apple at all. I'm also getting quite a bit of throw so far, which is another thing that's fine by me. At about two hours in, the scent is dryer than it was, more spice than apple (though the apple is still under there), more burnt firewood than active smoke. I still like it a whole lot.

Five hours later: The scent has faded a fair amount, to the point where there isn't any throw (that I can tell), but I can still get a good whiff when my wrist is to my nose. At this point, it is predominantly faint burnt wood and woodsmoke with a trace of mulling spices, the actual cider long departed. To follow a narrative progression, the ghost stories are through for the night, but the fireplace has been left to burn itself out.

End of the day: This has faded further, but is still readily detectable if I stick my wrist to my nose. Only now, in the past few hours, has the sassafras showed up, after the spices of the cider have faded to next to nothing. The final status of Fearful Pleasure is a hint of sassafras and a memory of spice behind some very convincing smoldering-but-not-burning blackened wood.

Overall: Fearful Pleasure is finest quality mulled and spiced AWESOME. Seriously, I love how this smells in each stage of wear, and it has lasted pretty darn long. I am very glad I ordered this bottle. The only complaint I have is that wearing this, particularly in the early stages, makes me want actual drinkable apple cider, and it is still too early for stores to be carrying that! Tragic! But this is the fault of the stores, not of Fearful Pleasure.

From a distance this smells like really fresh apple cider where the apples are crisp but the spices are still there. A definite falls cent, but a light crisp one. Put my nose closer though and the cinnamon starts taking ot over turning it into a bit of a potpourri scent.

i wasn’t sure i liked this when i tried it yesterday because it had a sour, apple cider vinegar note that took awhile to fade. but i’m giving it another chance today and that note is not present. maybe it was a weird skin chemistry issue, or perhaps the bottle needed to sit for awhile after being shaken up in the mail. anyway, today what i smell is cinnamon apples, or heavily spiced apple cider, with oaky, woodsy notes and something smoldering and smoky in the background. it’s a homey, cozy sort of scent. from childhood, i associate autumn with going to the cider mill to stock up on jugs of the stuff, so i’m really glad BPAL has done a cider scent this year!