Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Flowermouth

What BPAL would this fictional character wear?

Also- has anyone seen the secret of roan inish? Brilliant movie. I wonder what that would smell like, the sea/island/celtic theme could be quite neat. I just ordered a bottle of selkie- was curious.

That movie was part of my childhood. I think the most obvious choice would be Selkie. I would also add, for the overall feel of the environment of the film, The Deep Ones (Black algae, drooping seaweed, salty brine, and crushed coral), Cockaigne (milk and honey, sweet cakes and wine), Dana O'Shee (Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains), and Glasgow (The rich scent of wild blackberry breezing over gentle rosy heather).

For the Pathfinder RPG core deities:

Abadar: Bat of Wealth?

Asmodeus: Villain layered with Brimstone.

Calistria: Lust, Whip

Cayden Cailean: Captain Cully, Roadhouse

Desna: Evening Star

Erastil: Buck Moon, Ranger, Ochosi

Gorum: Fighter

Gozreh: Tempest for the sky aspect, Yemaya for the sea aspect.

Iomedae: Paladin

Irori: Tushnamatay

Lamashtu: Ekhidna

Norgorber: Rogue, layered with Psychological Horror

Pharasma: Wings of Azrael

Rovagug: Wrath

Sarenrae: A Wonderful Light, Aureus

Shelyn: Muse, Beautiful and Adored (because she is)

Torag: Dwarf, Ogun

Urgathoa: Dance of Death, Zombi

Zon-Kuthon: Torture King, for the name if nothing else.

For the Pathfinder RPG core deities:

Abadar: Bat of Wealth?

Asmodeus: Villain layered with Brimstone.

Calistria: Lust, Whip

Cayden Cailean: Captain Cully, Roadhouse

Desna: Evening Star

Erastil: Buck Moon, Ranger, Ochosi

Gorum: Fighter

Gozreh: Tempest for the sky aspect, Yemaya for the sea aspect.

Iomedae: Paladin

Irori: Tushnamatay

Lamashtu: Ekhidna

Norgorber: Rogue, layered with Psychological Horror

Pharasma: Wings of Azrael

Rovagug: Wrath

Sarenrae: A Wonderful Light, Aureus

Shelyn: Muse, Beautiful and Adored (because she is)

Torag: Dwarf, Ogun

Urgathoa: Dance of Death, Zombi

Zon-Kuthon: Torture King, for the name if nothing else.

Worm Moon and Graveyard Dirt would also be good for Urgathoa, Loviatar, Sacred Whore of Babylon, and Leather Phoenix would be appropriate for Calistria, and if i remember my cosmologies correctly, Shub-Niggurath would work for Lamashtu. Port-au-Prince would be good Cayden Cailean and The Isles of Demons for Asmodeus, as well. oh, and i think Sea of Glass would be good for Sarenrae.

Edited by thepiratequeen

I swear I saw this somewhere, but what about the Endless from the Sandman (by Neil Gaiman)? Morpheus and Oneiroi (the scent) don't go well together in my mind.

I don't watch enough True Blood to make a recommendation, but may I ask the ladies and gentlemen for advice on another matter?

The following are my costumes for DragonCon. Which would you recommend for the following:

Boltie (Super, movie)

Clara Beane (The Guild, web series)

Carmen Sandiego (computer game, game show, cartoon)

Enchantress (Amora, Marvel Comics)

I don't watch enough True Blood to make a recommendation, but may I ask the ladies and gentlemen for advice on another matter?

The following are my costumes for DragonCon. Which would you recommend for the following:

Boltie (Super, movie)

Well, Carmen would have to be all about exotic scents for exotic and legendary locales!

Jezirat Al Tennyn

Uruk

Sybaris

Havana

Port Royal

El Dorado

As for Enchantress, maybe Mage, from the RPG line, or The Witch Garden from Marchen, or Magic Do What You Will from The Last Unicorn series.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

Boltie (Super, movie)

Clara! <3

Well, since Clara's plays a frost mage, and since she's Clara, I'm thinking something icy, foody, and/or naughty.

So perhaps Perversion, Incubus, or some combination of Chaotic, Good, Halfling, Dwarf, and Mage from the RPG line?

Boltie (Super, movie)

Given Amora's known for seducing people, my first thoughts tend to be scents like Bien Loin d'Ici, or Sed Non Satiata, possibly Harlot. Or there's always O, or Snake Oil; in general, I figure some sort of deep, sultry scent would be the thing for cosplaying her.

Also, I totally agree with crimescenecleanup's suggestions for Carmen, but I also picture Plunder and Brisingamen as being right up her alley. After all, Carmen's all about the plundering, and the Brisingamen was a legendary necklace that she'd be all too happy to get her sneaky little mitts on. =3

I love all these suggestions! Thank you.

Mage would be perfect for Amora, and the RPG line...but something seductive would not go amiss.

I'm wearing Clara's Squid Hat costume so maybe I should go with Ebisu Making Love While Two Octopuses Look On? :)

The only one I think I know for sure is Boltie. I've decided on Nephilim for her.

XD

What BPAL scent would Pam from True Blood wear?

The first thing that comes to mind is Whip. Or, in a similar vein, Wanda.

Whip: black leather and damp red rose

Wanda: deep red merlot with a faint hint of leather, sexual musk and body heat over crushed roses, violets and myrtle

Any ideas what Princess Mononoke would wear? Or any other Studio Ghibli characters? ...Can you guys what movies I've been marathoning this weekend? :lol:

Great taste! I love Miyazaki marathons. :)

I immediately thought of Sarah when you said Mononoke (Unholy mist congealing into soft, white flesh, with black marble, remnants of liturgical incense, wolf's fur, and black flecks of froth); I think it's the wolf's fur. The marble and incense aren't very foresty, but the ozone in this would make me think of her on the warpath at night.

I think Ivanushka (Soft, velvety fur and warm musk, brushed by forest woods and dusted by dry leaves) is pretty much perfect, though. You could also try:

Jabberwocky (An earthy yet buoyant scent: pine, eucalyptus and orange.)

Mania (Sreeching white musk collides with a howl of red musk, with sharp white grapefruit and pale strawberry leaf.)

Loup Garou (Primeval in its raw power and insatiable hunger: juniper, cypress and galangal with the barest touch of eucalyptus.)

Mischievous Spirit (Chinese peach, bergamot, cranberry, red vegetal musk, carnation, white coconut, and Nepalese amber.)

There were some recommendations for Howl's Moving Castle earlier on.

I immediately thought Forest Reverie (A sunlit ancient forest, dotted with wild roses, grape vine, and queenly lilies, clothed in swirls of opium smoke) for the Deer God. And of course, Smokestack (Creosote, coal, and industrial waste) for Lady Eboshi.

Any ideas what Princess Mononoke would wear? Or any other Studio Ghibli characters? ...Can you guys what movies I've been marathoning this weekend? :lol:

Great taste! I love Miyazaki marathons. :)

I immediately thought of Sarah when you said Mononoke (Unholy mist congealing into soft, white flesh, with black marble, remnants of liturgical incense, wolf's fur, and black flecks of froth); I think it's the wolf's fur. The marble and incense aren't very foresty, but the ozone in this would make me think of her on the warpath at night.

I think Ivanushka (Soft, velvety fur and warm musk, brushed by forest woods and dusted by dry leaves) is pretty much perfect, though. You could also try:

Jabberwocky (An earthy yet buoyant scent: pine, eucalyptus and orange.)

Mania (Sreeching white musk collides with a howl of red musk, with sharp white grapefruit and pale strawberry leaf.)

Loup Garou (Primeval in its raw power and insatiable hunger: juniper, cypress and galangal with the barest touch of eucalyptus.)

Mischievous Spirit (Chinese peach, bergamot, cranberry, red vegetal musk, carnation, white coconut, and Nepalese amber.)

There were some recommendations for Howl's Moving Castle earlier on.

What would Dr. Frankenstein from Once Upon A Time wear (the fictional version, not Dr. Whale)?

On the mad(?) scientist note, what about Isaac Dan der Grimnebulin from China Mieville's Perdido Street Station?

Edited by Jeebs

I haven't read Perdido Street Station, but just thinking about the Dr. from Once Upon a Time and mad scientists in general? There were some BPAL scents specifically based on Frankenstein, so I'll have to list a few of those:

Pale Student of Unhallowed Arts (Fading Georgian cologne and split O3 molecules.)

A Torrent of Light (Eucalyptus petals, white mint, white amber, and ozone.)

A Dreary Night of November (Bone-white sandalwood, ink-black vetiver, Spanish moss, bitter clove, beeswax, and lotus root.)

Workshop of Filthy Creation (Electricity-scarred cypress beams, ancient stone slabs, damp metal, the coppery tang of coagulating blood, and ozone.)

I don't want to mention any spoilers, but here are a few more ideas based on Frankenstein's backstory:

Blood (Essence of dragon's blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove.)

Deep in Earth (Rose geranium, Spanish moss, Irish yew, and graveyard dirt.)

Lead Phoenix (Tobacco absolute, hemlock, plum, cypress, styrax, olibanum, and wild lettuce.)

The Cracked Bell (Smoke and stillness, faded incense and the metallic tang of blood.)

Hi! New to the forums here, and semi-new to BPAL. Been lightly dabbling for a while.

I do that whole costuming thing (some call it cosplay, what have you). I get all sorts of OCD-detail related about my costumes, and my next upcoming one is Golden/Silver Age Catwoman. The costume looks amazing but I wanna add that one touch to put it over. I tend to match my scents to my costumes... for example, I did a Bride of Frankenstein and I used Jazz Funeral. For a Cleopatra costume I did, it was Bastet. For my Cobra's Baroness, Snake Oil. :)

What would you suggest for Catwoman?

I was thinking something that smelled like heavy whipping cream.

Possibly something slinky like Bastet. :D

*edit* Forgot the notes: Luxuriant amber, warm Egyptian musk, fierce saffron and soft myrrh, almond, cardamom and golden lotus.

Edited by Monday

Possibly something slinky like Bastet. :D

*edit* Forgot the notes: Luxuriant amber, warm Egyptian musk, fierce saffron and soft myrrh, almond, cardamom and golden lotus.

I don't have a lot of imps, but Bastet is something I DO have, and will definitely go to as a backup.

I think I wanna stay away from citrus or light florals.

For reference, this is the costume I'll be doing.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_madam40qLT1r936mfo1_500.jpg

I figured I'd want a promiment whipping cream, with a little bit of enticing darkness behind it, if possible. You know what I mean?

Sadly, the GC doesn't have a lot of creamy scents. Obatala and Dana O'Shee might come the closest. Neither are very dark, but they might be good for layering.

Les Bijoux? She is a jewel thief.

Sadly, the GC doesn't have a lot of creamy scents. Obatala and Dana O'Shee might come the closest. Neither are very dark, but they might be good for layering.

Yeah, a disappointing lack of pure cream in the GC... you might try Lyonesse. It's a creamy, slightly aquatic vanilla, though not dark. Al-Azif is super sexy, sort of like a sweet cream with incense and resins, but I think that would be too Middle Eastern for Catwoman. Vasilissa is too delicate, and the only other thing I can think of is Morocco. Which actually might work. It's deepened by the spicy carnation and musk.

Are you open to buying from forumites for LE scents? I actually think the ever-popular Banshee Beat might be a good choice for Catwoman, since it has a creamy vanilla with the smoky sensuality of patchouli. Liz (A light, feminine vanilla floral perfume and a swirl of smoke and leather) also has a good mix of sweet vanilla with darker smoke and leather. Liz actually isn't even LE, but you can only buy a bottle from the Lab.

I also feel like A Variety of Pleasing Amusements (Honey, leather, tobacco, and myrrh) might be a nice fit. No cream, but the tobacco has a vanillic edge and the honey combined with the rich darkness of myrrh and leather is just sexy and dangerous but inviting.

Edited by Balame

Yeah, a disappointing lack of pure cream in the GC... you might try Lyonesse. It's a creamy, slightly aquatic vanilla, though not dark. Al-Azif is super sexy, sort of like a sweet cream with incense and resins, but I think that would be too Middle Eastern for Catwoman. Vasilissa is too delicate, and the only other thing I can think of is Morocco. Which actually might work. It's deepened by the spicy carnation and musk.

Are you open to buying from forumites for LE scents? I actually think the ever-popular Banshee Beat might be a good choice for Catwoman, since it has a creamy vanilla with the smoky sensuality of patchouli. Liz (A light, feminine vanilla floral perfume and a swirl of smoke and leather) also has a good mix of sweet vanilla with darker smoke and leather. Liz actually isn't even LE, but you can only buy a bottle from the Lab.

I also feel like A Variety of Pleasing Amusements (Honey, leather, tobacco, and myrrh) might be a nice fit. No cream, but the tobacco has a vanillic edge and the honey combined with the rich darkness of myrrh and leather is just sexy and dangerous but inviting.

Some of those sound fascinating! I'm still learning how to use the forums, and am unfamiliar with how the For Sale aspects work just yet, but I'd absolutely be open to trying some of the ones you mentioned!