Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Sturgeon Moon

Sandy shores and sweet fresh water, lichen, green algae, and whitestem pondweed, with benzoin, cyclamen, moonlit musk, cucumber, blue poppy, and agave.

Hm, lots of cold green lake water, something like honeydew, silky aquatic weeds, and swirls of slightly bitter, musky silt. Just a tiny bit of floral/herbaceous sweetness. Interesting. Surprisingly, it feels like a close cousin of Y'ha-nthlei (which I love), despite the wide disparity in notes.

I count this as an aquatic success for my skin because it's not soapy ozone dryer sheets of death. Edited by Aldercy

Sturgeon Moon

Argh, another case of liking a scent but not wanting to smell like it. This is really pretty. Cool and calm, it smells like water. And blue mallow flowers? I don't know where that's coming from, but that's what I think of when I smell this. Very pretty, but still not something I think I'd wear.

Reminds me of Villainess's Pearl Diver scent at first, but dries to soapiness (not in a bad way, though -- I'm usually strongly anti-soapiness but this is pleasant -- just not as good as the Pearl Diver beginning led me to hope). No.

Sturgeon Moon is not too bad for an aquatic. There are only a handful of BPAL aquatic blends that don't make me want to scrub my arm, and this is one of them.

Not being terribly familiar with most of these notes, it's tough to say what's prominent, but wow... this is one seriously gorgeous aquatic.

It is exactly evocative of a lake at night, during the summer when everything's alive and growing. I get mostly the water (cucumber mainly smells watery to me, with just a little green) and the plants and trees at the water's edge. It's very vaguely floral, but only enough to sweeten it up some, and entirely underneath the water. This is just so fresh and undeniably feminine (unusual for an aquatic) without being girly... I was looking for something exactly like this, and I'm really pleased to have found it.

There's a cold, kind of minty note in here (reminds me of the nights near the lake, when the temperature drops considerably once the sun goes down) that makes me think this will be ideal for summer. What a beautiful blend!

In the Bottle

Wow. It's very sweet. Not sugar sweet, but...melon-y? Melon, musk, and something I can't quite put my finger on.

On Skin: Wet

I will admit, it smells a little fake-y for the first couple minutes of initial application – like one of those cucumber scents from Bath and Body works. But man, does it ever become something grand... It is very fresh and sweet. The cucumber and agave are really stealing the show, all of it being sweetened by the benzoin.

On Skin: Dry

I really love how this scent starts off as a brilliant teal color, but begins to deepen in shade ever so steadily. It's like you are racing along a beautiful lake on a summer's day before diving into its depths – going deeper and deeper as the light grows dimmer. It starts becoming a little more green with the pondweed, lichen, and musk. It's still sweet, of course, but more of a subdued, mysterious, and plant-like smell. There's a hint of cyclamen in the background, too.

Afternotes

Basically all musk, reeds, and lichen – kissed by sweet agave, cyclamen, and poppy. Simply beautiful.

Verdict

On an American scholastic grading scale, I'd give this an A.

I've worn this twice now, but the first did not really give it justice since I did not put it on any of my pulse points. So I vowed to wear it again when it was proper. Today was just such a day with a beautiful blue sky, warm weather, with big fluffy clouds over the mountains that were fattening with rain. Plus I was wearing a blue shirt, so this meant I needed a bright blue-ish perfume to go with it!

And I am so glad I wore this. What a treasure Sturgeon Moon has become.

I went in search of this and bought a bottle unsniffed based on the notes. I love aquatics but I'm picky about them, more so than any other category except probably florals. Freshly applied, this smells like fresh rain, softly sweet, falling on green grass with a touch of salty/spicy breeze. I get a bit of a sense of expensive spa about it, it gives me that sophisticated feel, but it never wavers into commercial territory (BPAL never does on me :wub2: ) It might be except for that spicy/musky note which, surprise, is probably the musk. The waft is all sweet water and reads as aqua verging on green to my brain and it's when I get closer to my wrist that I get huffs of salt and musk and the magic of the blend.

In the bottle it's all grass and flower sweetness and it smells wet and clean and fresh. On me it's stronger and sweeter and amazing! I can't pick out one dominering scent it's all just a gorgeous sweet clean and green scent. I do get hints of a wet and sweet cucumber. It reminds me of a spa, very luxurious! Love it.

so after all these years, this bottle is being rehomed. so before it moves on, here's what's in my notes:

green water. cucumber puree. the salt-and-bleach smell of a day spa.

makes me feel uncomfortable, like i'm someplace i'm not supposed to be.

smells a bit medicinal. it's smells like green algae infused water and sea weeds, but not salty., maybe a bit planty. It's best to be worn during hot summer days.

I purchased this for the cyclamen note and from reading reviews about it not being soapy *fingers crossed*

Decant in bottle: Aquatics, dark floral like rose, hint of cyclamen 

On: sweet sea water, very green and fresh, and if I breathe deeply - - cyclamen. It's actually quite lovely here. 

Drydown: sea salty, musk. If I think about it, it does have a hint of cucumber, but it's quite powdery at this point. 

I'm not familiar with benzoin but there is something resinous at the end that could be it. It becomes very close to the skin. 

Verdict: Lovely for sometimes wear. I didn't notice the poppy or agave too much during this test.