Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Wolfsbane

Notorious for its properties for protection against werewolves and curing lycanthropy, this nefarious plant also has a fine history of use as a virulent poison. Clasically, Medea employed it in her many works of vengeance. This concoction of ours has none of the lethal qualities, but still personifies all of the herb's dark history beautifully.

wet was all pine needles

dry the pine stayed very strong, and i almost was gonna post it was like a pine single note when suddenly from out of nowhere it went rose. definitely not red rose, i am thinking white rose, and some green pines. nice i am not sure if i will want a big bottle but i will use the imp

In the imp, this is herbal and spicy.

On my wrist, the herbs zing out extra strong. It’s very familiar, maybe sage-like and a bit of fresh rosemary. The blend is crisp and woodsy and reminds me of a cedar incense I used to own.

Wolfsbane is cool as opposed to warm. It makes me think of a pine forest covered in snow, as there’s a bit of a lemony tone underneath all the herbs, from what I can detect.

I’m glad I had the opportunity to try it out, but could never wear or burn it. It’s simply not a “me” scent. But it’s exceptionally unique and enjoyable. Useful if you need to keep the werewolves at bay. :P

Another Harry Potter fan here! (well, saying Snape and Lupin fan would be more accurate...). :D

Wet it's cedar with something more. Woody and soft.

Sandalwood? Rose? Not red rose, wild and little roses instead. And a bit of moss.

It's an autumn/winter scent to me.

Misterious, it isn't a wet, green forest but a dry autumn one (without pine).

Lovely, I need a big bottle of this one! :P

In Bottle: Woodsy Herb.

On Skin: Very fresh and a bit ozoney. A scent I’ve never smelled before. I think it’s a bit more masculine. A bit pungent and strong. It smells very outdoorsy… first it was woodsy, then ozoney and now it’s earthy. Very interesting…

This one smelled like fresh pine on me. In a good way, of course! I just think it would be sexier on a man.

This one is all spicy rose on me. I wish it was as herbal and 'dark' on me as others have described - because then i think it'd be right up my alley. I'm not so much one for the rose scents, though.

In the bottle: Another really sweet floral.

First on: Ooh, the sandalwood is coming out. It's very odd, dark & sensual yet not a dark perfume. I like. A lot.

Drydown: Where the hell did it go? Ok, I only put on a dab, but I seriously can't find it on my skin. I relaly like it, but it's one that would have to continuously be reapplied.

Dill pickle, meet cough drop. Cough drop, meet dill pickle.

Seriously. The first smell I got was fresh dill, then something medicinal like eucalyptus, maybe with a hint of mint. This lasted for a while, when suddenly this rose came out of nowhere, but I could still smell the dill. It was weird, but not unpleasant. Then it went all soapy. Alas.

High green scent. A bit pine-y, with an undercurrent of mulch. Very weird morph to a brighter, high herbal. Fascinating, but not something I'd normally wear.

Wolfbane is pine with a sprinkling of other complimentary woodsy notes. But there is a little something a bit darker underneath.

I found it to be a bit more on the masculine end of the spectrum. It is slightly herbal and outdoorsy and could smell fabulous on the man that likes those particular notes.

I did like the scent, but just not enough to wear it myself. But don't be dissuaded if you enjoy this class of scent. It is a great departure to the normal take on things...as BPAL always is.

woody, resiny, a bit smoky, like cathedral. there's something hitting a higher note, maybe it's just amber seeming different to me in this context.

wolfsbane.jpg

Very very herbal and piney, this blend captures what I would think the plant wolfsbane would be like. It is one of those highly resinous oils which conjures up the outdoors and makes you think of medicine and magic. I could not see this as a perfume, as a prop for a costume it would be great though, or perhaps if you love to go camping and would prefer to live in Nature. It's a very good specialty scent, much too dark for Xmas but perhaps just right for the Winter Solstice.

For me, Wolfsbane starts out very herbal and slightly astringent. It's not ickily medicinal or anything, though- it's like walking through a field of tall grass just before it goes all dry in the fall.

Once it's dry, I get a lot more rose, but still backed with the herbs.

Overall, I really love this oil. There's something about it-- the scent itself isn't really earth-shatteringly great for me, but every time I wear it I just feel completely safe and enveloped in warmth and comfort. I want 10!

Bottle (Imp): Fresh green herbs.

Just On: Ahh yes, herbs, nice and fresh.

An hour or two later: A little bit flowery (some soapiness, not much) and herby.

Around 6 hours: More herbs now.

12 hours: A bit of herbs, mostly gone.

Overall: I rather like this one.

After reading other reviews: I didn't get flowers (much, although a hint in the soap maybe), creamyness, or wood of any kind. I imagine this is likely very like the scent of wolsbane itself.

Oooh, this is bitter and herbal. It leapt up my nostrils and clawed its way into my sinuses, where it's rolling around, claws and fangs gnashing and tearing. It leaves me in a watery-eyed haze.

Now all I smell is vetiver. Ugh.

I... er... does this blend make me protected from myself?

In the Bottle or Imp:

Pine! Lots of sharp and resiny woods here. This is a Northern forest, more of a taiga feel to it as opposed to southern Loblolly or coastal pine forest. I don't get much more than pine, but there's some deeper woodsiness to the fragrance beyond pure fir needle.

Wet, on Skin:

Yup, pine. Probably mixed with cypress and other evergreens, considering that this is not a one dimensional pine at all... but it's so well blended that it really does smell like a forest to me. There's definitely a cedarwood bite to it that verges on hamster for a while, but it thankfully recedes as the oil dries.

Drying Down:

The blend sweetens and I can detect more powdery woods coming to the forefront. The pine and bright cypress has pulled back such that it's not the primary notes I encounter, and the cedar also steps back. The resulting scent now is a mix of woods, perhaps some moss, and a touch of dirt. There's a tiny bit of play-doh feel to the scent that I hope goes away as the blend settles on my skin for the long run.

Over Time/Longterm:

The blend definitely sweetens on my skin and becomes a sort of pine-sandalwood combination with just a hint of cedar to provide some lasting *chomp* to the scent. This is the part I like best... just like a miniature forest on my wrist.

Final Verdict?

Very nice, very foresty and woodsy. Nothing to make me sit up and go, wow! But, not unpleasant either save the little playdoh phase that Wolfsbane goes through as it's drying down on my skin. No rose detected here... just a whopping amount of oakmoss.

Edited by Lycanthrope

This reeks of rose on me- like the rose scented cold cream I have or the Caswell-Masey hand lotion; definitely an old-fashioned cosmetics smell. When I first put it on it had sort of a masculine, spicy kick but the rose came out before too long.

So sweet.

Drydown is more rose. This is the purest rose scent I've smelled yet from BPAL.

Wow, I might have freaky chemistry.

Wet: Wood, cleaning liquid, antiseptic. Not pretty, but very head clearing and focusing. Then a hint of the outdoors creeping in, and some dried rose petals. Interesting. I didn't think I'd like this, but it is kind of neat.

1 1/2 Hours: Rose. But not a fresh florist's rose--this is a cushion of fallen rose petals on a forest floor. Very organic. Nice.

4 1/2 Hours: Pretty faded now. Time to touch up. A dried rose that never went powdery. Maybe a hint of lemon now and again. Not at all what I expected, but very nice.

Wow, this is spicy. Spicy like pepper, but it definitely isn't pepper. It's delicious and I want to season something with it. In the drydown I can start to pick out the hint of rose that other have mentioned. Rose and pine. It has faded quickly into a light cool scent.

I'm surprised by how much I like this. The rose doesn't go powdery or soapy on me (a miracle!). This is a wonderfully crisp and rosy floral on me after about an hour. Light and not overpowering at all. Not really me either, but I still like it a lot.

Very interesting. This smells like it should be *good* for you, all herby and woodsy. I get a mental image of someone's granny or aunt mixing up a potion to ease you through a cold or flu (but not a bad potion, just something medicinal). This is a lovely fragrance, full of pine and moss. I get a slight hint of vetiver, but not enough to darken it too much. It's very lovely.

The herbal woody descriptions sounded a little different from my usual favorites, but intriguing, so I gave this a try. Result - another example of the importance of body chemistry!

In the imp, I get a sharp-lily impression. Once on it goes citrus for a moment, then turns into white roses and stays that way. These roses are related to the ones in Lucy's Kiss (which I quite enjoyed until the day I spilled it all over me). It's not what I was expecting, but very pleasant. Only lasts an hour on me, though, and it's not one I'd feel the need to slather.

Last thought - it seems to have more herbs in it now that it's almost gone. Just a tantalizing hint as it waves goodbye ...

In bottle: First the strong, heavy scent of old forest wood and that edge that reminds me of vetiver.

On me: Much greener on the skin; it is new wood rather than old. That odd edge of vetiver seems to have morphed or made way for something lemony.

After ten minutes: This has a floral bite to it; it rather reminds me of lilies and tiny, light roses.

On me, this oil didn't really smell like much. I don't know if it was because I'd been smelling too many oils that day, or what, but it just failed to make any kind of impression at all.

But then! Then my spouse tried it on, and he loves it. And I love it on him! It's all wood smoke and pine, and it reminds me of beautiful nights, camping by the lake in the summer. It's great. Plus, it keeps the werewolves away - so even better, right? :P

In the Bottle: evergreen and pungent

Oh Him:

Wet: Very much like linseed oil used in oil painting--pungent and acrid.

Dry: as it dries it takes on a cedar and almost mint edge. Also pineneedley. In 10 mins it rather like pine-sol, but gets a tinge of sweetness. By 20 min its pine with a creamy edge. It ends cedar/evergreen and rounded with a bit of sweetness.

Overall (His): Actually quite nice. But he says he'd prefer to try others. This one is nice but not "it". I agree.

On Me:

Wet: Cedar and mint.

Dry: Takes on a very creamy scent. In 10 minutes it’s a mix of cedar and vanilla, with a hint of evergreen. In 20 min it's herbal piney creaminess. Makes me think of the sweet gin and milk punch we made in college. JUNIPER! That's what it reminds me of. Sweet creamy juniper. In about 2 hours it’s a very well rounded creamy juniper smell with a bit of a spicy note. I like this. It's not something I'd normally wear, but it works surprisingly well. Hmmmm… Beth really is amazing, isn't she?

Overall (Hers): I smell like a sweet gin and milk punch in a hand hewn cedar cup. Yummy. :P It's not exactly what I'd call "me", but I might just keep the imp for days when I'm feeling atypical…Its a wonderfully complex scent.