Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Embalming Fluid

A light, pure scent: white musk, green tea, aloe and lemon.

Yay, new BPAL arrived!

Bottle: Lemon. A bit iffy.. like toiler cleaner. Also, there is tea. So.. like ice tea, the two of them together. Sharp and clean; maybe that's the aloe vera.

Wet: The same as in the bottle. Lemon tea. Fresh and clean. Smells a bit like grapefruit, though.. that is, a wee bit tart.

Dry: Sorry, but this.. just doesn't work for me. Alas.. now I have to swap that bottle somehow. It's just.. like a cheap cleaning agent on my skin. Lemon peel works wonders on me, but lemon just turns.. yuck. Meh.

In the imp -- lemon tea

Wet -- lemonade iced tea

Dry -- It's really very nice and I see why it's so popular. The aloe adds some clean greenness and the musk gives it all some body. Definitely my favorite of the lemony-light scents. My 9 year old son loves it, and not just because the name is so cool (he's obsessed with Ancient Egypt). Not sure how much I'd wear it, but I can see dabbing it around from time to time, maybe after a bath. Would make a delicious soap.

I ordered a full bottle of Embalming Fluid on a whim a few days ago because I had to order a book from Amazon anyway and it is so muggy and hot where I am. I figured I couldn't go wrong with what is apparently the most popular summer blend. I also love green tea and white musk, though I can take or leave lemon depending on the blend. The aloe note also appealed to me.

Wet it smells--- light. Sort of sweet and not too lemony, and I can definitely pick out the aloe.

Dry I'm getting a lot more lemon but still no white musk. It smells like what sunshine pouring through a crystal glass of lemon-infused green tea would smell like. It is still quite faint, but that can be nice in hot weather. Just enough light scent to cover up the icky muggy sweat. Actually, I imagine this will sort of make it seem like my sweat just happens to have a vaguely pleasant aroma, win!

I think I'd give this a 3.5/5. If I'd had an imp, I wouldn't have bought a bottle, but I'm not going to get rid of the bottle anytime soon. Will try wearing it out and about tomorrow. I'd also note that I got Lolita as a frimp with this and am OBSESSING (I love wearing orange scents in the summer) so that has tainted my opinion of Embalming Fluid.

Oh, and I think this would be great as a room scent, actually-- quite unobtrusive.

I got this as a frimp and was happy to try it because I'd noticed it mentioned a lot in various reviews. Overall this scent was nice and I can see why it's so popular. To be honest though, the softness of the musk paired with the citrus tang kind of gave me a creeped out feeling at one point which I believe was due to the mental images the name of this scent conjured. I did think this scent to smell very commercial as others have said. Basically, on me Embalming Fluid is the scent of lemon-lime gummy worms but in perfume form, if that makes any sense.

In the imp: A clear, very pale yellow. The scent is a bright, sharp, fresh, realistic lemon; just like cutting into an actual lemon. It's not a sweet scent, maybe even a tad salty.

On me, wet: Now I'm picking up some green - the aloe and the green tea. It's a very nice combination with the lemon.

On me, just dried: As it dries, the musk starts to peek out a little, adding a tiny bit of sweetness and almost a floral kind of note. Yet this is still a very fresh scent rather than a sweet one. I'm not generally a big fan of citrus scents, but this one is quite lovely. It's a lively, invigorating, happy kind of smell. It would be a great choice for a hot summer day. I really like it that this has the scent of real lemons, not that cloyingly-sweet, artificial lemon extract smell that you often find in perfumes from other companies.

After about 20 minutes, it is now somewhat sweet, and starts to lean towards a men's cologne scent, but not obnoxiously so. It's unisex.

After a couple of hours: It keeps the citrusy men's cologne scent, but loses any hint of sharpness and becomes soft and mild.

My rating: 4 stars

Imp: Pure lemon with the faintest whiff of something medicinal? Soapy?

On wet: Still very lemony, but with definite herbal undertones.

On dry: The musk, tea, and aloe surface making a lovely fresh, clean green scent. It's also a bit sweet.

Much later: This one lasts and last on me, but eventually (after say, eight hours) fades to a scent that reminds me of nothing so much as lemon dishsoap. Which I don't mind at all, having a liking for clean laundry smells and other such things. Overall, it's very light, fresh, and invigorating, and I love it as both a summer scent, and one for dark winter mornings to remind me that summer will come again.

Got this as a free imp, and am absolutely delighted with it, particularly as I doubt I would have picked it for myself. I put it in heavy rotation, and ended up just ordering a bottle.

In the imp: Very sharp and crisp, almost clean, with heavy citrus undertones. This is smelling like a high end dish detergent. :huh?:

Wet on my wrist: Some of the sharpness is fading and a creamy cotton note has emerged. Maybe it's more of an expensive fabric softener than dish detergent.

Dry on my wrist: The sharp soapy note is mostly gone, leaving the smell of soft, lime-scented sheets. Not a scent I would want to snuggle into at night and definitely one I want to wear. If I like clean, fresh scents, this would be amazing, but alas.

In the imp Loving the smell. Mostly aloe and lemon, but slightly sweet.

Wet Even better than in the imp - the musk is starting to appear, and the aloe is a little stronger.

Drying Starting to smell a bit soapy

Dry Soap. Nice, citrusy green tea and aloe scented laundry powder. :(

I can't say I'm getting much throw from this one either.

Edited by winter

1/3/2012: Embalming Fluid (Ars Moriendi)

Previous scents: Fresh out of the shower using Dove shampoo, Dove ‘fresh’ scented women’s deodorant/antiperspirant.

In the bottle: Smells somewhat like kitchen soap. Mostly getting the aloe and lemon.

Testing method: Two swipes of the wand on the inside of my left wrist, knocking the vial against my right wrist twice, rubbing together.

Immediately: Lemon lemon lemon lemon lemon. A little aloe.

Fifteen minutes: Getting the green tea coming through now. Shoved my wrist in a relative’s face and got a ‘yes, that smells good’ out of it. I feel particularly clean.

One hour: Mellowed out quite a lot. The musk is holding everything down nicely and making it more well-rounded. I smell the green tea particularly. Seems the sharpness of the lemon gives way to the green tea. I think the aloe is just disappearing in my nose.

Several hours: Aloe and white musk barely clinging to my skin. This one sinks in really fast on me – it’s already almost gone.

Overall: This is my favorite BPAL scent, mostly because it smells clean without being overpowering. It's true that this is a very 'light' scent as it sinks in quickly on my skin and is very faint overall, but I don't mind as long as I smell this good! I've received several compliments when I wear it, though people turn their nose up at the name and ask whether the formula shouldn't have a little formaldehyde in it! :P

DISCLAIMER: Due to differences in skin chemistry, inherent olfactory powers, and other scents that an individual might use throughout the day (i.e. scented deodorants, shampoos, room sprays, cooking odors), these oils will smell different on every individual. This review is only intended to illustrate my personal experience wearing it throughout the day.

I tried this the other day and the whole day it smelled so familiar but i couldn't place it. when i put it on this morning it hit me- a LONG time ago i used to have a sonia kashuk perfume that was bergamot and water lotus- as far as i know it was discontinued. this reminds me of that! it's crisp and lemony- it reminds me of summer. unfortunately it doesn't last as long as i would like, but i don't mind touch-ups when it smells so good!

To my nose: I smell more of a lime or grapefruit than lemon.It's very bitter. Dishsoapy..

On me: It's fresh.. But bitter. I think I've had ashowerscrub with this scent, from IKEA. I feel very "meh" about thisone.

Two wordpuzzles and a Mass Effect Multiplayerround later: Still that bitter "meh".

I had hopes for this one. Thought it would be verylight and summery fresh. But it's too bitter for my taste so I'm quite sad. Maybe age will make it better?

Edited by Missy_killer

In the imp: This reminds me of L'occitane White Tea, a commercial perfume I still wear. Very bright, lemony and fresh smelling without smelling like cleaner. This imp is aged at least a year, maybe two (don't remember exactly when I got it); my partner points out that it did smell cleaner-like at first, which I didn't remember.

On my skin: Still smells like L'occitane White Tea. So happy to have found a BPAL equivalent - I would rather buy BPAL than commercial, and the L'occitane scent was a LE so I would have to find it on ebay. Embalming Fluid is lemony tea and bright and yummy. I think I will need a bottle, especially if it needs age to get awesome so I can start it now.

Edited by sunlitgarden

In vial: Balanced tea and lemon. Cool and sharp.

Wet on skin: Yummy, foody lemon, like lemon bars, with just a bit of tea joining in.

Drydown: Oh dear. This is a bit too much like Pledge right now. I'll give it a bit to settle.

Dry: The lemon has mostly gone, leaving a very light tea scent.

Once I get past the Pledge phase, it's quite pleasant. I wish a little more of the musk came through; it's very quiet on me. But a nice scent nonetheless. I can see why it's so popular.

My brain keeps going: Lemon lemon lemon! Happy happy lemon! Yum yum lemon! :wub2: I do get what other people are describing as a medicinal or soapy smell (the aloe, maybe…?), but I like it very much. The musk and tea come out a bit more over time. This scent is very sharp and clean. I really, really enjoy this, and will consider a bottle soon.

Edited by bellumed

My first review of the first BPAL oil I've tried. I am totally in love with this scent - I saw green tea and lemon in the description and had to jump in. I ordered a 5ml unsniffed, and I am so happy I did! I could bathe in this stuff! :wub2: My husband likes it on me, and my friends have grabbed my scent locket and asked if that's what smells so good. (Yup, I'm a newbie with a Salome locket...this new hobby of mine is hitting me hard!)

Bottle: I smell the tea very strongly, with some sharp lemon and an air of coolness underneath from the aloe. Smells like a refreshing, fruity tea - perfect for a summer day.

Wet/Scent Locket: Very similar to the bottle, I keep catching whiffs all day. Just yummy - I can smell the tea and the lemon amps up a bit.

Dry: Delicious mellow fruitiness, and I can still smell the tea. Very soft on my skin, with a lot of lasting power - I can still smell it on my wrists 8-10 hours after application.

The musk never seems to make an appearance for me, which I'm ok with. I'm really enamored with Embalming Fluid, and am happy with the nice compliments I've received when wearing it. I hope this is never discontinued because this will forever be a staple in my collection!

I really like embalming fluid. It smells like lemons and this dish soap my grandmother used. It brought me back to spending summers with her in the pacific northwest. Green, clean and zingy. It's more mainstream but it could be a great gateway scent into BPAL for the more conservitive.

In the Imp (ITI): Strong lemon, tea, and a faint paperiness coupled with musk.

Wet: Wow, this is sophisticated and feminine, but not in an overbearing way. I get light green tea, lemon blossoms, the coolness of aloe, and just the faintest touch of musk. Lovely!

Dry: The lemon started to get sharp as it dried, but it has since dried to a light zesty note which, coupled with the green tea and the musk, is surprising clean and refreshing. I think I may want a bottle of this.

In the imp: Tea? Lemons?

On my skin: Light, lovely. Not usually the sort of scent that I like, but I actually think this one is pretty.

A keeper of an imp, but not something I’d want a full bottle of.

Wet: Ooh! Bright, get-out-of-bed lemon with a touch of sweetness.

Drydown: Delightfully lemony. It reminds me of drinking lemon juice from a lemon candy stick stuck into a fresh lemon. There’s a hint of green tea too, softening the lemon just a tad.

Dry: Pillowy white musk with a splash of lemony zing. Bright and powdery (in a dusting of snow way, not the baby powder way). Cheerful and vibrant. Unlike similar blends I've tried, this lasts all day!

I'm not really sure where all this talk of "lemon sorbet" is coming from, all I'm getting is soap. And I reeeaaalllly was hoping to like this one. I'm more for dark scents usually and was hoping to try something fresh and light. This was definitely fresh, but not the kind I was looking for.

Lemon lemon lemon lemon LEMON! (Imagine that in the voice of the dog from the Beggin' Strips commercials.)

Embalming Fluid is really, really, lemony. Lemon is normally not my thing, but it's more agreeable here than in a lot of other blends I've tried. Part of it is that it's registering as more of a food/drink lemon than a cleaning-products lemon than some other oils I've tried. I'm reminded of limoncello, maybe, or a lemon ice. Part of it is also, I think, that I was expecting lemon from the get-go based on the reviews. I think I'm more tolerant of lemon when I know to expect it, rather than when I buy a scent with fifty different notes and my skin turns it to Lemon SN.

I'm still not sure if it's me. I'm always keeping these bright citrusy scents around for warm weather, and then some of them I still don't wear when the warm weather arrives. I think I'll wait to make a decision until the summer on whether to swap/give this away.

First Sniff: Faint lemon Pinesol, yuck!

Wet: More fresh cut lemons come through. As it began to dry it was pure lemon.

Dry: This is not the same lemon scent as I got with Mag Mell or Ehecatl (which were more lemon drop candy smelling) but rather lemon from the fruit itself. It’s fresh and very citrus-centric. Once it dried completely though it was light and I think I can detect the white musk. It’s faint though so I’m sure this will fade quickly.

My Reaction: While this is fresh and pleasant, it is too light and I’m just not a fan of lemon in any of its forms. I’ll give this one more test but I’m pretty sure it will be in my swap pile soon!

Rating 1-5: 1

Imp: Very clean, very springy. It screams a vivid yellow-green.

Wet: Cleaning fluid, but not in a bad way. It's potent, non-soapy lemon, like pure lemon oil. It'd be great to wake up with. It does soften almost immediately into a much softer lemon sorbet type of scent. I think the musk is helping temper the strong lemon. To me, this is only superficially similar to Shanghai. I found Shangai to be more light, herbal lemon while this is much more in-your-face lemon.

Dry: As it warms, the lemon stays front and center. It edges closer and closer to cleaning fluid in a not so good way. I think I'll stick to Shanghai for my lemony needs.

This is a strange scent. I'll get a whiff of something clean, fresh, cooling...then a sickly sweetness. I like the freshness and lightness of the scent but the underlying sweetness is nauseating. :rantrave: If the sweetness didn't give me a headache, I'd love this scent. Just can't wear this one. Fortunately, my Mom can so I'll be giving the imp to her.

Edited by Atrous

I wanted to like this very much, since I love green notes and I love citrus, but on me all I can smell is some kind of bitter, fake-lemony chemical. Not even soap or Lemon Pledge, but some kind of cheap janitorial cleaner that comes in a 5 gallon jug.

Although it doesn't *actually* smell like formaldehyde, it does somehow evoke real embalming fluid to me. That could be the power of suggestion, but the sour fake-lemon is unpleasant enough to suggest artificial preservatives. Actually, that's not a totally insane comparison, since many department store perfumes strike me as sickeningly fake, and part of that might be aldehydes. Which despite being widely synthesized, are originally derived from natural materials. I suppose that's how totally natural ingredients such as those in BPAL oils can wind up smelling artificial on/to some people.

Just looking up information about aldehydes and aldehydic perfumes, and it does seem that aldehydes can derive from citrus. But I really took notice at the information that there are aldehydes present in citronella. Now that the idea is in my head, there is definitely something citronella-like about Embalming Fluid. Nothing wrong with a citronella candle on a picnic table, but it doesn't appeal as a personal fragrance.