Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Delirium

Non compos mentis, indeed! A contrary, conflicted scent, bubbling with merry madness. Contains apple, rose, and lemon.

Frimp. Smelling the bottle I think: wow, rose *cringe*. I have had one experience with rose and it wasn't a happy one; I amp it to oblivion! Wet I smell a rose in a garden with someone eating apples and hanging out washing. As it dries, it starts to turn into a generic floral on me, ie. soap. It has a good throw, which I'm not liking in this instance! Dry it smells like rose soap. Not offensive, just not something I'm particularly looking for in a scent.

In the imp: this smells just like sweet lemons.

Wet: I'm getting lemon and lemon and something sweet. Pretty, but a bit too one-note.

Dry: lemon and apples. Something floral, too. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that's the rose. Now that the lemon has calmed down a bit and let the other notes have some space in the spotlight, I'm really liking this perfume.

Fading: After about ten hours of wearing this, I'm smelling... sugar cookies? That and just a touch of sweet, sweet lemon. It's totally different than how it's smelled all day, but it's actually pretty nice. The only downside is that I'm craving cookies now. I actually have to force myself to not nibble my wrist. It just smells so edible. If there was a perfume that smelled just like this perfume does when it's fading, I'd probably buy it.

Looking at the notes and description, this sounds made for me (I love BPAL's apple, rose, and "fizzy/bubbly" scents), and yep--I love it. Starts with a crisp apple/lemon combo that's fizzy but not in a cider way; this is what champagne would be like if it were made out of apples. Gradually the rose makes itself known, and it's a super fresh, fruity red rose. This is not an overly girly or powdery rose, so it could be unisex for those inclined. I can see myself wearing this all the time in the summer!

I loved the idea of this one but I don't think it loved the idea of me. It smelled like a blend of cleaners on me. Like bleach and the bitter pith of lemon rind. I never got any of the rose I was so excited for. It fades into a soapy sort of bitter smell. Sadly Delirium is not for me. Luckily I have a good friend who seems to like it just fine so it will hopefully get some love there.

On the wand, I smell lemon and apple, with rose trailing some distance behind.

On my skin, lemon dominates this bright, citrusy apple-rose. Starts out on me as fresh-out-of-the-shower playful.

Then the apple disappears and my skin turns it to citrus rose soap. Bummer.

This one sounded like fun, and I do love apple, lemon, and rose, so I was interested to see how they'd smell together.

In the imp and on me, wet:
Oooh! I really like the way the apple and lemon come together in this. Not picking up much rose, but this is a nice, perky scent that combines everything I like about both apple and lemon!

On me, dry:
Hmm. The apple seems to be fading now, and the lemon is starting to smell more like lemon zest. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not quite as fresh and exciting as when it was wet.

Dry, later:
It's pretty much just single-note lemon zest now. Not unpleasant, but kinda boring.

Verdict:
In the imp it's absolutely delightful, but on me: meh. I might scent an object with it rather than myself. When my body chemistry doesn't futz around with it, it's a really fun scent.

This has really good wear length and throw for me, which is unusual. Sadly, I'm ambivalent about it. My husband called it "interesting." The description calls it conflicted, which I found dead on. I felt like the three notes never reached a detente and decided to work it out. They just kept duking it out, vying for dominance. I'll need to test this one again -- if it does stick around, it will definitely be a bright summer scent.

Used to think this was lemon apple, but I just got another imp and it is... not at all. It's all rose now!

Where I'd wear this: Performing The Great Gatsby

This is soap on me from the start! However the apple goes to the background in the process of drying down and a very natural rose comes up the the foreground. Lovely, but still soap.

My skin devours apple like that's it's day job, so this mostly becomes a rose-and-lemon on me. Fortunately, I quite like rose and lemon, so I do like this. Less fortunately, it fades very quickly. This is definitely something I'll be using up the imp of, but I don't think I'd ever bother with a big bottle.

This one is kind of like a see-saw between rose and apple. It swings pretty wildly for about 15 minutes until it relaxes a little. I think apple is the most potent note in the end. It's a nice crisp apple, which I think is being helped by the lemon. While it mostly rests on apple, it does keep a floral edge. I'm not crazy about it as a combination just because of personal tastes, but it's not bad at all.

In the imp: Sometimes apple, sometimes rose, sometimes lemon. It seems like every time I sniff, the exact balance is a little different, and I can't quite pin it down.

Worn: The apple is strongest a few minutes, with the rose rising up behind it to draw equal. Over time, the lemon reappears, making it seem like the apple slices were dipped in lemon juice to keep them fresh, then laid on a plate of fresh rose petals. The rose eventually becomes the central note, with the apple and lemon juice dancing around it erratically. It sounds like it shouldn't work and it shouldn't, but... I'm actually really, really into it? It's never too sweet or too floral, and it's definitely not predictable!

In the imp: Rose and I think Apple

Wet: rose and fruit

Dry: classic rose. Tea rose. What’s sometimes called old lady rose. Pink rose. There’s enough fruit to keep it from going powdered

My scent interests have shifted to where I can appreciate a rose when it’s not stomping everything else into oblivion. This is rose, and one or the combo of the fruits are making this work. It’s not a weak rose though and I can see this getting the old lady perfume criticism out of some people but if you like classic perfume types and can ever find this one do it.

Delirium is a good weird. Wet/in the imp, it reads lemony with slight effervescence to me. On weardown, it starts as a lemony rose that's a touch soapy (initially thought it was going to go powdery). I can't pick out the apple in the beginning, but it starts peeking through as I wear it. Based on the scent notes, I knew that I wasn't going to hate it but I wasn't exactly expecting it to become a little soapy (like a fancy soap). A little sweet, a little floral, definitely clean.

I am starting to think that in the last couple of years my body chemistry has completely morphed making the previously unwearable wearable, and very concerningly, possibly the opposite too. I recall having an imp of this over a decade ago but it seems as if I didn't comment on it at all at the time. I've just received a fresh frimp from the Lab and decided to give it a whirl (without reading the notes beforehand). At first sniff I got strong fruity/floral vibes, kind of making me think of Herbal Essences from nearly 20 years previous lol. It definitely smelled a lot like "fresh" scented shampoo of some kind. Kind of like a garden orchard mix, in a way. Sweet/fresh, almost aquatic, instead of sweet/edible. 

Reading the notes I can see where I got shampoo/soap vibes from but I can't really pick out the individual apple, rose, and lemon. The apple and lemon may be adding themselves to some sort of sweet citrus note, but if so it's definitely an over-ripe red apple. I think it's just that I like my apple scents spiced pretty much all of the time. Maybe a hint of dry, powdery lemon? Not fresh zested lemon oil or anything like that. The rose is likely morphing everything else into a sort of homogenous "fruity floral" ensemble because to me this could be any combination of flowers in the garden mashed together. As time goes on it just gets too, too floral, kind of dry and cloying as an old bar of soap may, and a little headache inducing.  

On my skin, the rose is delicate and airy, adding a floral gentleness to the scent. The lemon is also delicate, adding just enough tart brightness in conjunction with the other notes. The apple is the star of the show, but it too is a light, fresh note. It's the note released when biting into a perfectly ripe, not too sweet, pink lady or similarly juicy and fresh pink skinned apple.

Overall, this is light and delicate and not too strong. But it's a lovely fresh scent that makes me think of springtime.