But the remotest star!
For certainly her way might pass
Beside your twinkling door.

Her bonnet is the firmament,
The universe her shoe,
The stars the trinkets at her belt,
Her dimities of blue.

MEAD MOON
Golden mead, fermented with gruit, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, ginger root, sweet-briar, rosemary, and lemon.

This ended up being a tasty mead. I can't really differentiate all those notes, so to me the scent is more like a mead that was brewed with all those things in it, into one intoxicating but deceptively innocent smelling drink.

This is a really well blended scent. It has a presence like some of the vanilla scents...but, it isn't really like them? It just feels subtle and warming, like how I perceive the vanillas to be. When I sniff closely it is a very complex scent, but close to my skin.

It did take a little while to get to this point, though; when I first put it on, I thought I smelled root beer or cream soda. =) I suppose that's appropriate enough. My first experience with drinking mead was with a really lovely home-brewed mead that tasted like it was about as alcoholic as a soda pop. Whhooo! Intoxicating stuff, but lovely and innocent tasting.

:P

------
This lasted more than 6 hours on me, and the scent kept getting more complex instead of going single note like so many do on my skin. It didn't have a lot of throw, but, I do like this and I am happy that I purchased the bottle unsniffed.

----

I'm just going to add this clip from Wikipedia in case anyone was wondering what gruit was. I didn't even know it was a word 'till I read the lab description, and then looked it up:

Gruit (or sometimes grut) is an old fashioned herb mixture used for bittering and flavoring beer, popular before the extensive use of hops. Gruit or grut ale may also refer to the beverage produced using gruit.

Gruit was a combination of herbs, some of the most common being mildly to moderately narcotic: sweet gale (Myrica gale), mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris), yarrow (Achillea millefolium), heather (Calluna vulgaris) and Marsh Labrador Tea (Rhododendron tomentosum, formerly known as Ledum palustre). Gruit varied somewhat, each gruit producer adding additional herbs to produce unique tastes, flavors, and effects. Other adjunct herbs were juniper berries, ginger, caraway seed, aniseed, nutmeg, and cinnamon or even hops in variable proportions; many of these ingredients may have psychotropic properties too. Some gruit ingredients are now known to have preservative qualities. Edited by Aerinha

in the bottle: fermented honey with a kick of sarsparilla.

wet on skin: more of the same. and the same? is DELICIOUS :D

dry down: wow. honey-vanilla ferment goodness. :P

in all: TOTAL keeper. *so* glad i got a bottle!

In the bottle - sort of a sweet syrup with a hint of lemon in the background.

Wet on skin - root beer.

It quickly starts smelling less of root beer and more like cream soda. The lemon has disappeared, and I haven't caught any rosemary, nutmeg, or clove yet, but it seems to get a little spicier as it dries.

Right now it's nice, very mild, but not a whole lot of personality to it yet. I'll have to give it an hour and see if it morphs into anything more interesting. I suspect this might age well, too.

ETA: I put it on again a day later and let it dry for an hour. I was hoping for a lot more spice, but it's still just a very mild cream. Might be the monthly chemistry, I'll try it again in a week.

(I really want to like this!)

Second edit: I tried it again when it wasn't quite so fresh and when I hadn't just started my period, and it definitely picked up some personality. I think the key to this is not to expect an insta-arm-devouring-yum, but rather let it follow you around and catch warm sunny whiffs. It seems to be activated by body heat, because I noticed it the most while I was sweating at work.

Edited by marared

My prediction: lovers of O will looooooooooove Mead Moon!

In the bottle, very much honey, amber, vanilla, with a citrus kick, but more like orange than lemon...

On my skin the notes swirl and blend together really nicely, as a hint of the ginger peeks through. The honey seems to melt in, and the amber has gone a little powdery, but I don't mind it, as it meshes well with the sweet, gentle spices. If I sniff really hard, I can detect a bit of herbalness underneath, close to the skin. I'm extremely pleased to announce that the clove actually behaved on my skin, and has not overwhelmed the whole blend- actually, I can't even tell it's there! Seems to have a nice throw, without stinking up the whole room for everbody else.

This is summer sunlight in a bottle!

When I first put this on I thought the honey would be too cloying, but it calmed down quickly into a delicious honey-vanilla with the slightest hint of spice. Yay! I was afraid this would be too boozy - I should have known better.

ETA: The lemon came out a bit more as it dried, lightening the honey sweetness. I'm glad I tried both the moons this month. If I'd just chosen one based on the listed notes I would have gone with Hay Moon, but Mead Moon is far far nicer on my skin.

Edited by innocent

A soft honey sweetness with a resinous twang and the hint of grains, plus a tart little smack of lemon across its backside.

This is not Mead Moon at all. This is HEFEWEIZEN MOON! Woo hoo! :P

Beer-loathers, be not afraid, because this is everything that's good about a hefeweizen (the sweetness, the round complex flavor, the richness balanced by tartness) without any of the bad stuff (the lemon seeds, the need to pee afterwards). This perfume is what a good hefeweizen becomes when it goes to heaven.

Lobster Rating

better than: ...mead. :D

Edited by Uploaded Lobster

Okay, this one is SO weird on me!

Right after application, the throw is "barroom", that "old beer" atmosphere. And it alternates with powder! Near the skin it's an absolutely gorgeous honey!

I reapplied just to check, and it happened again, but less distinctly on both counts (the beer/powder) which is excellent, because I would have suffered through it anyway for this gorgeous honey! It's full and round and deep....mmmmmm!!!

Definitely a keeper! Love it!!

MEAD MOON

In Bottle: Honey yum

On Skin: OH THANK YOU! It is lovely, lovely honey!!!! This is what I wish Honey Moon had been on me, but it instead went herbal. Here I get sweet deep honey.... warm and golden, so comforting and blissfull. The spices are very very delicate, this is not a "spicy" blend in the slightest on me. They just add to the warmth of the scent. The rosemary is also light, thank goodness... no herbal side of this blend at all. The lemon adds to the yellow/orange/gold tone of the scent, again it isn't citrus. This scent is honey, warmed by a bunch of gorgeous friends that compliment it perfectly and blend in seamlessly. I don't get a yeasty or wonky note at all that I usally smell in meads, so that also was a relief. This scent loves me to an extreme, and how perfect since July is my birth month. I have 2 bottles of this and I don't think it will be enough... I want to bathe in ti every day!!!

Medium throw and average wearlength on me.

This is a lovely, sweet honey. I'm getting the very faintest hint of spices, and no lemon...but I don't care. It's so light and beautiful. And clean smelling, too, somehow. It smells a lot like LUSH's B' Never Too Busy, but sweeter and lighter.

like a slightly boozy version of o. it smells gorgeous at first but fades very very quickly. i will keep it for now and consider swapping later.

Edited by porcelina

In bottle: Rich honey cakes with spices and lemonade. I would eat this in a heart beat. Honey is the strongest note. Wet: The honey, clove, and lemon are strongest. It’s sweet and light, managing to evoke spring and baked goods all at once. There is a touch more lemon than is good for it, but that is my fault, not the blend’s as I really amp citrus. The honey smoothes the lemon out enough that I can still wear it. Dry: Something odd comes out as it wears. I am guessing it may be the sweet briar as it’s a smell unfamiliar to me. The ginger also comes out. The honey wears well, and the other scents seem to float in it.

It smells like Pez. Yes, Pez candy. Why, WHY?? How can something with rosemary in it smell like Pez? I'm going to keep this for a while and see if it smells different once my allergies have died down.

this is freaking heaven, OMG!

in the bottle thick, waxy honey *swoons*

wet on skin sweet, sweet, sweet! HONEEEEEYYYY!

dry on skin wow. i'm just blown away by this. it's so amazingly sweet, so thick without being cloying, so golden and sticky and FANTASTIC! throw is negligible, unfortunately, but that's okay. the scent is all mine!! the spices are very, very much bit parts, just existing to round out the sweet nearly-single-note honey. there's the tiniest little tartness at the end of a sniff that must be the lemon, keeping this buoyant.

eta: wearlength is great, lasting even through a handwashing (i test on the back of my hand). throw still negligible, but six hours later it's still sweet and sticky-ish close to my skin. why did i not get two bottles of this? *headdesk*

Edited by ravenfeathers

I'm really glad I like this, because I spilled it on myself! :P

In the bottle: *this close* to Sweet-Tarts!

Spilled all over me: ZOMG. Honey and lemon and rosemary, over a cushion of the spices. Nicely blended and just...ZOMG...I smell like a summer tisane!

In the bottle:

Rating: 5

Notes: nutmeg, sweet-briar, ginger root, lemon

Comment: The honey is not obvious to me in the bottle and the first scent that comes to mind is the nutmeg.

Wet on skin:

Rating:5

Notes: sweet-briar, rosemary, lemon

Comment: Smells very musky. If the musky note is the honey mead it's very different from how honey notes usually smell to me, but I like this honey/musk combo!

Dry on skin:

Rating: 4

Notes: ??

Scent Intensity: 2

Comment: I can't identify any notes. It's just a muddled sweety musky scent. I'm surprised the golden mead, fermented fruit, clove, and cinnamon are not very easy for me to detect as these tend to be very loud on my skin. The scent changed on me almost immediately and became barely noticeable / very subtle. Strange!

I think this muddled scent is actually a powdery type muddled-ness. It's not bad, but not what I was hoping for.

Misc:

Duration: N/A

Keyword(s): sweet, musky, floral?

Color: N/A

Smells like: N/A

Edited by Akasha Tsang

Yeeeahhhh....... *Deep yoga breath* OOOooooohhhhhmmmmmmm

This lunacy is destined to be yearned after and coveted and hoarded and treasured. I am sooo glad that I have a 5mL to clutch to my chest while making shifty-eyes!

To me, it smells like the Lush honey lip balm: sweet, glistening, gooey, golden, honey-cake yummmm.

It has the same honey note from Hony Mone, without the disagreeable (to me) jasmine and almond.

Honey lovers, rejoice! You are gonna love this!!!

4.8 out of 5

bottle: whoa! honeyed booze overload. this is pure, sweet honeyed perfection.

wet: the boozieness disappears when applied and there is a faintly fruits scent with all the spices and honey. this almost smells like a honeyed-sweetened version of a nice sarsaparilla drink. yum, yum, yum!

dry: the honey fades a bit but leaves it's distinct sweetness with the spices, which are also lovely and soft. wish i'd ordered another bottle...

(edited to add the "dry" portion of the review)

Edited by hkhm

In the bottle this smells lovely - a little spicy, a little fruity but not gross-fake-fruity, a little boozey.

On me it just smells like sweet tarts.

I think I might hang on to this for a while and see if aging helps at all, but as it is now it kind of gives me a headache and I don't really like smelling like candy. If that persists, I'm sure I will have no trouble swapping it to someone on whom it works better.

It's Lush Honey Waffle soap. Dead on match at the beginning of the dry down. (YAY!!! I love that soap!)

I'm not picking up the nutmeg or clove at all, just herbal honey goodness. As time moves on, it does develop a fuzzy vanilla-ish quality, but I don't think its actually vanilla. The lemon is just barely there.

Another win for the honey lovers!

This is a sweet, golden, mildy fruity honey mead. I thought I was going to be able to pick out the notes more individually than this, but this really comes across as a beautifully blended gestalt. I can't get over how divine the honey is! It's not too sweet, there aren't florals that take over, and it's not too musky of a honey.

This is one of my favorite Lunacy blends of 2008 and I can't get enough of it! It wears long and semi-close to the skin. Also, fans of "O" might want to check this one out. :P

This smells like single note honey to me in the bottle, wet, and dry.

Vaguely reminds me of O.

This is a whole lotta honey! The other notes definitely don't jump out at me individually, though I get a few whiffs of nutmeg and clove early on. They just add a deep seasoning to the honey in the foreground. I've had it on for six hours now and it's still going strong, and wafting according to people nearby! :P

HONEY!

Honeyhoneyhoneyhoneyhoneyhoney...

I LIKE honey. :P

Seriously, this is amazing stuff. It's beautiful rich honey, thick and sweet, without any of the sort of bland/powderiness I got from the honey in O and Jezebel. I don't pick out many of the other notes, though they add something to distinguish this from a honey SN; the one I do get is lemon, which makes me think of tea with honey and lemon (except without the tea!). It reminds me of Honey Moon, but I think it's a thicker, deeper honey, without any of the greenness or herbalness to lighten it up. At the same time, it's not at all cloying. It reminds me of the honey in Thaleia most, I think.

I want to BATHE in this.

Whoa -- this is strong! It immediately reminded me of Skuld out of the bottle, which kind of worried me, since that honey note was way too cloying for me. Mead Moon's honey note is very thick with a fruity undertone. I can smell the spices at the very beginning of this blend, but they disapper too quickly for me to really get a feel for them. That's a shame -- I would have really enjoyed this one had they remained. As it is, I'm not really "feeling" this one. I don't know how well honey ages, but I'll hold onto this and see what happens.

3/5

This is very HONEY - smells a lot like Dana O'Shee on me, or similar to O. Light, powdery sweet honey with a touch of nutmeg. I don't really get the other notes. This is pleasant and subtle!