Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Titus Andronicus

Dark musk and black amber with frankincense, red sandalwood, neroli and bergamot.

First on, it's all musk and black amber, with a hint of of the bergamot. In just a couple of minutes, though, the red sandalwood starts to lead the pack. The neroli sort of hangs on top of the whole process, just making it's way in on the breeze when Titus walks up, but coming in heavier, lush waves on gusts of air while he's standing there.

This stays remarkably balanced. After the first five minutes, it's an even, lightly powdery, very masculine scent with enduring wood and resin tones under it all.

I can see why Beth's particularly pleased with this one - it's goooood. When I dream about my cowboy friend, this is how he smells.

Mmmm... On me, this smells like Snake Oil but *better*.

First of all, this scent is totally unisex. It's not at all girly, but it's not gruntingly masculine either.

At first, it's a rush of spiciness, then it settles in to last all day. I put it on at 7:30 am, at 9:00 at night, my boy is sniffing at my neck and looking very... interested.

I sensed a little vanilla, but that might have been my imagination. Mostly it just smells sexy.

If you like snake oil, you *MUST* try Titus Andronicus

Wow. I just got this in a swap, and I'm *amazed*.

I can smell the bergamot on top, and the musk, but that's it. This scent blends together very, very well. For some reason, to me it smells vaguely smoky, or vaguely worn. Sort of an Aragorn or Captain Jack sort of fellow.

Which should tell you that it is incredibly sexy. When I need to attract girls I'm definitely using this one! Love-potion-in-an-imp. :P

I love this. LOVE it. This is what I wish mainstream mens' cologne smelled like, and never does. But Titus is also something that I wouldn't hesitate to wear myself, and I will.

Freshly applied, I'm getting the bergamot's citrus-y freshness, with the mellowness of the black amber coming through after the initial drydown. Oh how I love black amber! I don't get the neroli or the sandalwood until I hit the very bottom of the scent, and they definitely temper and sweeten the strong top notes.

I'd love more BPAL fragrances with black amber. ;

Velvet

This is one of the ones I got in my second order, on a few recomendations. Sadly, not really for me.

It does blend together well, as the others have said, and I'm unable to really pick out any single notes execept, the sandalwood and frankincense being the strongest things I think I'm getting.

I would classify this as a very North African/Egypty/Oriental sort of ethnic-y scent when wet. Which, I suppose, kinda makes sense.

Drying on me, it very quickly goes straight baby powder before some of the neroli comes out to sweeten it.

Altogether? Not me. I'm glad others like it. In some scents that go baby powdery on me, I like them in spite of it. This isn't one of them.

Ugh, I always hate when my chemistry screws up one of Beth's creations.

Tried this for the first time yesterday. Smells like amber and citrus on me, with a hint of vanilla coming from somewhere. Quite nice. The GF says it might even be better than Villain. Probably would have gotten dragged into the bedroom but we were already running late. Unfortunately, what we were running late for was a family function, so while I did receive several compliments on it they weren't the reaction a guy is really hoping for. Lasted all day even though I was sweating to death, so it should last all night at a club. When and if a decent club opens in this state again I'll update this review.

In the bottle: Something sweet lightens this rather dark-seeming blend. But it's very resinous .. and I'm not certain I'll be able to wear this, honestly.

Wet: The patchouli, I think takes over in this one. There's amber in it, but blended with the other notes, it somewhat too dark for me, rather .. dangerous. I like my amber warm, but not frightening. This scent is somewhat frightening.

Wearing: I won't be wearing this for long. It sets me on edge, sadly enough. It's nice, and lovely, and at the same time, it has ben wanting to scream and shout. I'll have to swap this one out for someone it likes better, I think. I don't like this feeling.

Hmmm, this is really, really...interesting.

Upon first opening the bottle I have to admit I'm a bit concerned. It smells like Right Guard.

On first application: Wow there's no way I would have guessed the ingredients in this one. I couldn't have named a single one. This is over-whelmingly clean smelling.

After a few minutes: It's just so clean!

A few minutes after that: It's settled down now, and it's all musk - but a very distinctive musk. Not the musk I'm used to smelling in BPAL oils, but the one I was used to before....

Conclusion: I really like it...and I can imagine it would be fantastic on the right person. Unfortunately, it's just not me.

Tygher sent this to me in a swap, and it's funny, because the elements that make up this scent compound seem to tell me that, yes, I'll really like it.

As soon as the imp wand touches my skin, however, it smells a bit like baby oil. While wearing, my boyfriend remarked TWICE that I smelled like baby powder. So maybe a mish-mash of baby powder and baby oil.

I haven't needed to reapply, and nearly seven hours later the scent is still a-kickin'. It's not a particularly bad fragrance, and I can see myself using up the whole bottle in one form or another, but I don't believe that Titus Andronicus will make its appearance in my collection as a bigger bottle. I do agree that it is quite unisex in the bottle, although on me I seem to somehow bring out a powdery scent that utterly feminises the fragrance.

-doreen

My girl ordered an imp of Titus Andronicus, and to be honest, I didn't expect to like it at all. I'm not a big fan of sweet, heavy scents, and both amber and frankincense often seem that way to me.

This scent is perfect, though. It is sweet, and heavy, but has a darkness and a musk to it that save it from being cloying. There's something stirring and solemn about it at the same time. It fades well too, keeping its basic balance and blending with the wearer's natural scent.

I wouldn't like it on myself, I think, but on her it made me very happy.

Edited by patashoqua

I was...rather disappointed by Titus. On both my husband and myself it smelled like a really cheap, bad perfume I had when I was younger, with a very cough-syrup-grape and sandalwood smell, which combines to smell absolutely dreadful. I like sandalwood by itself, but ick!

Off to the swap pile!

Kethry

I think Titus Andronicus could be classified as either masculine or gender neutral. In the bottle it is a rich blend of sandalwood and musk. Once it is on my skin though the musk kicks in overdrive. For the next 10 minutes or so musk and frankincense totally overwhelm everything else. My skin chemistry really tend to really pick up both of these scents though. After that it sweets a little bit, yet remains a dark smell rather than a bright sweetness. But after the neroli turns to a baby powdery type of smell, the sandalwood reappears. I actually like this stage but between how long it takes to get here and the fact that the SO doesn't care for it, this imp will probably go up for swap.

Titus Andronicus is a *must* try (albeit my opinion) if you enjoy musk &/or sandalwood scents. The bergamot gives this a wonderful "brightness". I've always enjoyed frankincense in the cooler temperatures but I never thought to combine it with neroli!

This is amazingly well blended & balanced. Nothing "jumped" out at me; instead it was wonderfully easy to wear.

This is a wonderfully unisex, grounded & centering scent. I am enjoying it very much.

RHM

Very musky and lots of amber in this one, a rich resin and musk scent that is decidedly masculine. This was a bit too strong and masculine for me, but it was beautiful and I'd love to smell it on the beloved. Lots of rich, dark musk, strong and proud.

My boyfriend wore this this morning and although I've sniffed and resniffed his collection of imps many times, I didn't recognise it as Titus Andronicus on him.

It smelt just like Haunted... Soft, musky lemonyness - very clean and calm.

First sniff: Hmmmm. It’s dark… sort of citrusy… hovering just this side of incense. Otherwise? I’m baffled.

Wearing: Definitely mysterious and dark. The aura is a tiny bit powdery, though it’s much firmer on my wrists, and – yes, that’s definitely citrus prowling around in the topnote. It’s musky and deep and I think I need to wear it again to figure it out.

Oohhh, I love Titus Andronicus with a passion! :D

In the imp and wet, it is definitely masculine, fresh and crisp. The general feel reminded me of my beloved and sadly departed Chypre, even if the notes are different.

10 minutes into drydown, a lovely powderiness appeared, which is always a good thing in my book. Once completely dry, Titus Andronicus smells almost exactly like Haunted, which happens to be my absolute favourite BPAL. Maybe a touch crisper and more masculine, but just a touch.

I love it. It's wonderful. My boyfriend *must* try it. I think this would smell absolutely stunning on him :P

Edited by Ishtar

Bottle Sniff: Sweeter than I'd expected it to be, even slightly more feminine. Keep picturing Anthony Hopkins in Julie Taymor's "Titus", and keep coming up short. Smells a squeedle bit soapy to me (which may be the neroli), but after a few minutes the bergamot comes out, and I can start picturing the Roman countryside.

Wrist Sniff: Evolves into something a bit more lush, but still softer than I'd expected. Still oddly soapy for my taste; but it reminds me a little of my dad. No, the more I leave it on, the more i don't like it. Dries into something smelling vaguely of nailpolish remover. My skin is not liking this. I smell like a clean floor. Damn you, body chemistry! You used to like EVERY perfume!

And so: Can't do it. Might get an imp for dad to see if he likes it, but this is one I'm definitely having to pass on.

First Impression: Sweet amber.

Second Impression: These gentlemen's blends are just one better than the next. This is sweet amber but it's well tempered by the dark musk. Vaguely citrusy from the neroli. The bergamot peeking out is keeping this sophisticated rather than sexy.

Final Analysis: I'll pass this on to Smell Bill, but with hopes that I'll get it back. :P

I ordered Titus Andronicus a while ago for my boy. It's just been sitting on the counter, for some reason he doesn't want to wear it, so I decided to try it myself. OMG, it's a gorgeous scent, I might have to put it on him when he's asleep :P . It reminds me of a cross between Haunted and Masquerade, it's got the ambergris kind of scent to it (maybe that's the dark musk and black amber) that those both have, it's got the citrus that they both have, a little stronger than in Haunted and not as strong as the orange blossom in Masquerade. It's definitely orange-y, though. Then something is making it quite spicy. Gender neutral for sure, I love it!

Edited by ChupaChup

Wow, Titus Andronicus is gorgeous. It would be great on a man (am going to run and apply it to the BF as soon as I'm done here) but it's also great on me. It does indeed smell a bit like Haunted, like a cross between Haunted and Iago (sans leather note) to my nose. I think the amber helps to sweeten it up so it's gender-neutral. I looooove amber. :P

To make it darker and more smoky, I'll layer it with Iago. To sweeten it up, I'll layer it with The Lion or Haunted. Mmmmmm. Very, very sexy.

gorgeous.

I got this as a freebie imp and from the name I guessed it to be a 'masculine' scent well, it is, sort of... I would put it as more neutral but I guess it depends on your chemistry whether it turns more 'manly' :D First sniff and I get smoky/eastern scents, it's one of those I have to keep sniffing because it's addictive.

On I get deep musky but sweeted - I guess this is neroli/bergamot peeking through. :P It lasted well, I went to bed sniffing my arm and could still smell this by morning.

In the bottle: Deep, smoky, musky and masculine. A little bit of spice. There is a very faint citrus note way way underneath the spices and musk. This is a scent for TA just when all the shit starts to go down. An inkling of deception and manipulation met with fierce resistance and intense loyalty.

Wet on skin: The citrus/lemon-ey note jumps out and the musk is gone. It's still masculine, but taking on a lighter, almost sunnier feel. This is TA's scent when he returns to his home, triumphant, and greets his daughter, whom he hasn't seen in years. It's hopeful and bright.

Drydown: It smells like Pledge, and not in a good way.

Overall/Comments: I am sitting here on the verge of tears. I adore this scent in the bottle but it turned on me, evoking the true sense of Master William's nastiest drama. I will be forever envious of those that can wear it and keep it's true nature. :P

Bottle (Imp): Smells kind of fresh and breezy. A hint of sweet. As with so many other scents, it reminds me of something but I can't quite figure out what.

Just On: Some flowers maybe. Some citrus. I want to keep smelling it.

An hour or two later: It's flowery, but it's not deadly flowers to my skin. I think it *could* be a scent to try on The Mate, when he isn't looking <g>.

Around 6 hours: I'm wearing herbs and flowers now. It's not the flowers that hate me, but it's probably not going to endear this scent to me as a daily wearable.

12 hours: It's pretty well gone. I suppose someone with a fresh nose who hasn't been working outside all day might be able to smell it, but all I can smell is sweat (mine) and I'm going to wash that off.

Overall: I think I like this one, but I'll probably have to try it a couple more times to be sure. It seems fairly fresh, and maybe a good scent to wear for a picnic or outdoor event. It might be one The Mate should try as well.

After reading other reviews: I guess the reviews didn't tell me much more than what I knew or thought, so not much for comments here. I am going to try it on The Mate so we can see if it works.

In the bottle, so lush as to be confusing to my nose.

Wet: Bergamot! Neroli! I am a nice cup of Earl Grey. It's not long before the amber and sandalwood start, though they still have that astringent, citrusy note. The sheer richness of this blend on my skin is nearly heartbreaking, especially with the sharp notes still there as time goes on.

Dry: the rich get richer... har. The richer notes seem to accept the citrus -- it's definitely still there, but it's settled in and is more of a Christmas-orange-among-the-gifts than the sharpness it was before. Sweet and beautiful, and works very well for me.

(Edited to say what I meant, not what I was hearing at the time.)

Edited by iliadawry