Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gwydion

The Buggre Alle This Bible

The book was commonly known as the Buggre Alle This Bible. The lengthy compositor's error, if such it may be called, occurs in the book of Ezekiel, chapter 48, verse five:

2. And bye the border of Dan, fromme the east side to the west side, a portion for Afher.
3. And bye the border of Afhter, fromme the east side even untoe the west side, a portion for Naphtali.
4. And bye the border of Naphtali, from the east side untoe the west side, a portion for Manaffeh.
5. Buggre all this for a Larke. I amme sick to mye Hart of typefettinge. Master Biltonn if no Gentelmann, and Master Scagges noe more than a tighte fisted Southwarke Knobbefticke. I telle you, onne a daye laike thif Ennywone half an oz. of Sense should bee oute in the Sunneshain, ane nott Stucke here alle the liuelong daie inn thif mowldey olde By-Our-Lady Workefhoppe. @*"AE@;!*
6. And bye the border of Ephraim, from the east fide even untoe the west fide, a portion for Reuben.

[The Buggre Alle This Bible was also noteworthy for having twenty seven verses in the third chapter of Genesis, instead of the more usual twenty four.

They followed verse 24, which in the King James version reads:

"So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life," and read:

25 And the Lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying Where is the flaming sword which was given unto thee?
26 And the Angel said, I had it here only a moment ago, I must have put it down some where, forget my own head next.
27 And the Lord did not ask him again.

It appears that these verses were inserted during the proof stage. In those days it was common practice for printers to hang proof sheets to the wooden beams outside their shops, for the edification of the populace and some free proofreading, and since the whole print run was subsequently burned anyway, no one bothered to take up this matter with the nice Mr. A. Ziraphale, who ran the bookshop two doors along and was always so helpful with the translations, and whose handwriting was instantly recognizable.]

Crumbling paper and ancient cracked leather with a touch of tobacco leaf and incense.

In Bottle: This is strongly reminiscent of Aziraphale only with a strong incense scent to it and less geeky. Wet: The tobacco and paper are strongest at first with the leather rising quickly. There is an odor of decay to it. The incense and tobacco rise slowly. This is really different on my skin than in the bottle, very prone to shifting moment to moment in emphasis. Dry: This settles beautifully into a rich mostly leather and incense blend with the other notes riding pleasantly along underneath. It’s rich and dry and sexy in a book geek guy kind of way. I was worried at first, but now I’m really liking it and rather wishing I were smelling it on someone else’s skin, rawr.

In bottle: Leather, tobacco, and parchment

Wet: Strong leather and incense with tobacco not far behind

Dry: Heavy tobacco and leather predominate. It smells the way Forbidden Foyer smells on my skin. I'd swear there was mahogany somewhere in this. I can even detect a hint of something almost minty in the background. Interesting!

Verdict: IMO a more masculine blend but I love all the notes in this and can smell each and every one, including a few beloved notes not even listed. It does morph quite a bit between each stage. I will definitely wear it often.

I can finally compare the released version to the prototype. :D

It opens with wood... specifically polished sandalwood... and parchment. The prototype is rougher, less polished and smooth. Upon drydown, the prototype goes a bit dusty and the released version has a more "old leather" smell but by the time they are dry, they are virtually identical. Yay!!! I love this scent! It's exactly what I wanted Miskatonic University to be and it wasn't, quite... this is a perfume for a bibliophile (that means meeeee!) I do notice that the released version is stronger than the prototype which is a good thing!

Thank you, thank you Beth for not changing this. :P

straight sniff from imp is loaded with vetiver....dark with incense...

once applied a strong vetiver note remains but i do sense the crinkled paper and leather...

a deep, heady scent this will be great on the boy (-8

In the bottle and on skin.....parchment soaked in rum? Hmmmmm...At first and for a while, I seriously get some major booziness. Like maybe someone fell asleep reading because they'd had too much to drink.

Not bad, but not what I expected or wanted.

Ahhhh nowwwwww about an hour later, the booziness is morphing into some seriously deep tobacco and incense, which mixed with the paper note gives this blend a majorly ancient smell. I do get a hint of leather....very dusty leather, but it's more in the background. Leather is coming out more in the scent from my Monas locket than on my skin.

I want to slather this and dig through an archive now.

I think I'll have to try this one again after looking at other reviews. On me, initially, it's almost not there. Then a whisper of, I guess the parchment. It's dry, light, slightly woody. After a few minutes it goes to all wood. Cedar shavings. And stays that way.

Hmm. Maybe I was having a weird body chemistry day...

Absolutely gorgeous! On me this is almost all tobacco, a smooth almost creamy tobacco with a dusty parchment edge to it. So incredibly rich and yet it isn't too overpowering. What a truly stunning blend.

In bottle/imp: Leather and sweet vetiver.

Immediately on skin: I get a very strong vetiver feel from this blend. It’s odd, since it’s not mentioned in the notes. I guess what I’m smelling is a mixture of the leather and a mildewed paper kind of note. There’s a bit of smokiness here, and a slight sweetness from the tobacco.

After a little while: This smells considerably less mildewy once settled. It smells like leather and tobacco with wet paper. It has a slight smoky bitterness to it as well.

Overall Impressions: This smells like an old leather bound book, and the smell of tobacco and incense wafting about. It’s oddly evocative, and has a mostly dry scent except for the paper, which smells a bit damp. This has a slight cologne-y feel to it, and is definitely unisex. It’s dark, smoky, and nicely blended. It’s a weird way to explain it, but this just smells like a very solid, grounded scent.

this is very, very hard for me to describe!

in the bottle generic incense, unlit.

wet on skin dusty and damp, but still almost spicy with exotic incense. the mildew note is vetiver, i think, very faint and un-vetiver-like in its reticence.

dry on skini sweet, dusty, masculine, it reminds me of aziraphale, but more manly and darker. it's not really reminding me much of the buggre alle this bible. this is more of a crowley scent, to be honest. although i love BPAL's crowley and think it's very appropriate, this would be another very valid interpretation of the character. the tobacco seems to want the last word in this blend and it retains that exotic spiciness to offset the dryness of the tobacco leaf.

this is a gorgeous scent, sinuous and darkly sexy.

This smells very dry and paper-like to me; it definitely evokes images of dried and crumbling paper that has yellowed with time. I think there's a touch of darkness, and possibly vetiver in there. The leather is very raw and almost masculine and there is a very dry dusting of woods. This is an excellent concept blend, and something that I think will smell fabulous on anyone who does well with semi-masculine blends of woods and leather. It smells excellent on my guy, and I'm curious about what it will smell like as a room scent.

Wet, I got a blast of leather.

Once applied, cedar comes to the front and that’s all I can smell. Mmmmm. As it dries, the leather is coming back and the cedar is taking on a lighter tone. This is a bone dry scent – arid and stark.

It smells like there’s something peppery here, too, in addition to the cedar and leather.

The tobacco and incense really never show themselves, which is too bad as I love both those notes (but especially tobacco).

While I didn’t put too much on, this scent is not strong. This is more of a quiet scent – sticking close to the skin. It's been maybe, 45 minutes? And it's already quite faint. That being said, I really like this.

This scent is in line with great wood scents. The leather is a wonderful addition. I like this a lot. Maybe not enough for a bottle since I’ve already got loads of wood scents, but I’ll cherish my imp and look for another when this one is done.

Wet; old books...the smell, almost the feel. Reminiscent of Azariphale, but this is what I wanted Aziraphale to smell like.

Just a touch of leather wafting, as is the scent of tobacco, long forgotten, that was left in a drawer but was never rolled into a cigarette. In a drawer made of exquisite wood.

Dry; the leather reminds me of the leather in Bachelor's Dog. Just a touch of incense roiling around in the background. Oh my, this is wonderful. Wafts of leather and incense are assuredly pushing this into my new favorite. Close to the skin, I smell wood but oh, the wafts! Deliciously wicked and sinful. Sandalwood incense...not too sweet, but just enough to melt my heart. Oh, to have a man to snuggle up with smelling like this...truely, the scent of a torrid affair. Buggre All This, indeed! :P

Initially, leather, some paper and tabacco. AMAZING. Later, it dries to be more incense and cologne/soap than anything else. This one breaks my heart, because I think it's just that much too masculine for me. I had high hopes *tear*

This is very much like a darker, butcher Aziraphale. The paper note is the same, and it also has that same hint of fruitiness, although without the golden musk, the effect isn't as pronounced. Slightly dusty paper is the strongest note, with a cloud of incense and a hint of leather. I'm trying to think of the best comparison for the incense. It's a dark incense, a little bit like The Pit and the Pendulum or Al-Azif (minus the sweetness), but it's moderate in effect. The tobacco is quite tame. I barely smell it at all. (Which is good, because I tend to amp it until I smell like an ashtray.) It seems to lend a slight earthy dustiness. The leather is noticeable but moderate.

I think the ratio of all the notes in this is just right -- paper is strongest, and nothing is overwhelming -- but after a couple of hours, some of the leather and tobacco fades away, leaving something that smells identical to Aziraphale with a hint of dark incense.

Try it if you like paper/book blends and Aziraphale. If Aziraphale was close but no cigar for you, you might have better luck with this. Don't try it if you're hoping for something drastically different from Aziraphale.

And holy crap, does this stuff last!

Edited by naeelah

In the imp: Old, soft, worn-out so it drapes well leather with a hint of some.

Wet on skin: Buttery leather with a hint of smoke. There is a hint of incense at the back of my throat at the end of each whuff.

Early dry down (10 minutes): The paper smell is developing along with the leather, and the dryness of the paper is taking away the soft feel of the leather and turning into the cracked leather of the description. This reminds me of a darker, more masculine antique lace. There is also a smoky aspect to this which is less incense on me than it is fruit wood. It's kind of like applewood in the smoke before you put the meat in.

Late dry down: This is very nice. The individual notes have blended into a kind of better-than-incense incense on me. It's a kind of tobacco leaf and leather smokey smell. The only thing I can imagine making this better is a dollop of dark vanilla. I mayve to try layering it with O or Sudha Segara to give it a bit of sweetness.

I'm really surprised at how much I like This Bible. It doesn't smell like books or a library to me, but it does have a really wonderful, clean leather smell to it. I was riding around in my brother-in-law's new truck just last week and commented that I'd love to have a scent that captured that new car smell, and this does capture that scent for me.

It smells like new car rather than bibles or books, but I'm really glad to have a bottle of this. I can definitely smell the leather, and I normally don't enjoy leather (and normally *hate* tobacco), but this is a clean, smooth leather on my skin, with hints of a sultry incense creeping around in the background, popping out every once in a while. I smell like sexy new car, and I like it. :P

ETA: After having my bottle of this for a month, it's much less leather and much more tobacco. It doesn't smell like new car leather at all anymore (boo), but more just a slightly sweet, damp, brown tobacco leaf with a hint of brown leather.

ETAA: I've had my bottle of this for a couple years now, and the tobacco just kept getting stronger. This scent now smells *exactly* like my mom's purses when I was little. They were always leather purses filled with a mix of things, but I always hated the cigarette smell in them (as the ash and little flecks of metal wrapper would fall to the bottom of the purse and mingle with that metallic smell that coins have). That is exactly what this smells like... leather purse, cig ash, and dirty metal. I'm finally giving up on it and have the put the rest of my bottle up for swaps.

Edited by Little Bird

I opened this and it was like opening an old book, exactly the same kind of smell and feel.

But when I put it on...it smells like my father. I mean that in a good way. It doesn't smell like his cologne or his aftershave, it smells like him. It smells so much like him that I'm kind of tearing up here. It smells like my daddy when I would hug him when he was wearing his leather jacket. Later on it gets a bit incensey, but this scent to me is like a warm hug from a bookworm to another bookworm. I mean it, it's making me cry.

I know that's not really helpful to people reading these reviews, so here's my attempt at a less emotional review:

IT SMELLS LIKE A BOOK. I don't know how, but it smells like a book! Not rotten or falling apart, just very old. The tobacco and incense make it smell like a book that's been in a wood-paneled library where a strong-shouldered man used to smoke cigars once in a while. It's warm, it's comforting. If you're a book lover, you will probably enjoy this just for the sensation.

It's not masculine, exactly, I would say unisex, but it inspires more of a manly feel than a feminine one. I will be buying a bottle, and probably a bottle after that, because not only does this remind me of my father, it's a lovely scent.

Thank you, Beth, for making this, because it strongly reminds me of happy times that are years in the past now.

I get warm, papery dust and a clear, cool glass of single malt Scotch, the crisper, less peaty kind (this may be what my mind does to the tobacco scent). Not a scent to wear out of an evening (unless you're Rupert Giles), but good for settling in for a quiet night at home. Very evocative and comforting.

Finally, a blend with just a touch of vetiver. It's wonderful as a supporting note, dancing politely with cedarwood and leather. If there's any other wood note in this, I'm not picking up on it. Something slightly sweet and powdery in the background (a flower, perhaps?), which softens the edges of an otherwise masculine blend.

I think this is destined to be a favorite. May need to acquire myself a bottle...

Well, this smells like... pretty much exactly how it's described. Old paper, dry leather and incense. It's a fairly soft and gentle scent, and pretty gender-neutral -- there's nothing especially masculine or feminine about it.

But that's about all I can think of to say about it. It's reasonably pleasant, but not particularly exciting. Scents with that old-paper note often appeal to me for times when I'm going to be copying out books of shadows (in most of the more old-school Wiccan traditions, you hand-copy your books from your teacher's copies), but this one is not really as interesting as Clio or the Lurid Library or some of the others.

Grade: B

THE BUGGRE ALLE THIS BIBLE

In Bottle: Dark smoky leather

On Skin: I usually love leather notes, but this one is a bit too dark for me. The tobacco leaf is dominant, followed by the incense. It’s almost pure smoke and ash on me, along the lines of Brimstone and Djinn. After it mellows out a bit, I catch the paper note and it does smell like when you leaf through a thick book quickly and the scent of the breeze it creates wafts up to you. A bit dusty, aged for sure. An interesting scent, and perfect for someone looking for an anti-perfumey scent. It has a very strong throw and long wearlength on me.

I thought maybe there was a dribble of vetiver in here because I'm getting that lovely dark smoky feel from it that I get from vetiver. (Vetiver actually smells really good on me.) It's pretty evocative of an old dusty book, in the best way possible. It lightens up on drydown and acquires a very pleasant smooth sweetness that I enjoy a lot. Just a slight incense haze behind the dominant notes. I like the dry stage better than the wet stage, but the wet stage is pretty good too.

This one is more my husband's kind of scent than mine, and he definitely likes it.

The Buggre Alle This Bible

In the imp: the lovechild of Riding the Goat and the Lurid Library.

Wet on skin: whoa, old, ancient leather indeed! I smell oiled woods and dust…smells like a library!

Dry on skin: mmm, I like this a lot. It smells like a shadowy version of Aziraphale, a more intense, less musky Lurid Library, with a hint of Dee and Riding the Goat. I smell a slightly oily woodsy scent reminiscent of polished woods, mahogany and maybe cedar. Very much like an old library. I also smell dust, aged paper, crumbly and faded pages, and even a bit of ink. And smoke…soft tobacco and incense smoke absorbed by paper.

After a while: ah, now it smells more like the Lurid Library. Less golden and a lot deeper than LL, but now there’s a similar feel of musky incense to this, almost like an undercurrent of black musk, which has hints of the soft angelic musk from Aziraphale, but is a lot more dark, not ethereal and glowing. The dusty paper note is also there, as is the leather which is the ‘aged leather’ note which I prefer to the ‘kinky leather’ note which tends to amp. It is a subtle scent too, like a whisper of incense smoke captured in the pages of an old book.

The scent fades into a gentle papery incense and leather scent. Soft, quiet, subtly smoky, and old.

Verdict: I love the bookish scents Beth makes, this is what I’d imagine Aziraphale’s most infamous bible to smell like…ancient paper, yellowed and crumbly and dusty, infused with incense, lying on a wooden shelf in a Soho bookshop. Like a darker Lurid Library, or a less incense-heavy Dee, this is a wonderful mix of old paper and fragrant smokes mixed with the perfect leather note forming the worn covers of the bible. The tobacco note is really good here, subtle and sophisticated. I love book scents and anything evocative of paper and parchment, and I love incense, so this is a wonderful combination. I also imagine this would age fantastically. Buggre Alle This was one of my favourite bits in Good Omens, so I am so glad there is a scent of it and that it works so well on me!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Oh yes.

If you like this, try: Dee, Lurid Library, Riding the Goat, Aziraphale, Licwiclunga

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the imp, this is very leather-y and incense-y.

On my skin, the leather is very distinct and up-front - that's about all I get.

When it dries, it's still primarily leather for me - a touch of incense. Basically the opposite of what I was hoping for.