Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Wensleydale

"My father says there's no such thing as witches," said Wensleydale, who had fair, wavy hair, and peered seriously out at life through thick black rimmed spectacles. It was widely believed that he had once been christened Jeremy, but no one ever used the name, not even his parents, who called him Youngster. They did this in the subconscious hope that he might take the hint; Wensleydale gave the impression of having been born with a mental age of forty seven.

An immaculately clean scent: well-scrubbed soapy skin and fresh cotton.

There is something almost Antique Lace-esque to the clean cotton scent of this. A hint of sweet pea or maybe pear. But overall it is truth in advertising, warm cotton sheets fresh out of the dryer wrapped around freshly washed skin. A hint of musk behind the soapiness.

In bottle/imp: Very light fresh soap.

Immediately on skin: This smells like soap. Like white, creamy, lightly floral scented bar soap. That’s not a bad thing… it’s very refreshing and light and innocent. Or maybe clean clothes just out of the dryer. But mostly, this smells like soap.

After a little while: The soapiness fades, but what I’m left with is a very clean, fresh, light scent. It smells like washed skin or clothes straight out of the dryer. It’s very white and fresh, without any ozone or aquatic notes at all.

Overall Impressions: If you don’t have time for a shower in the morning, but want to smell clean, this is the perfect scent. It smells like a soapy, clean bath or clothes right out of the dryer. It reminds me of Dirty, but this doesn’t have the sweet, light floral note that Diry does. This is just clean and innocent.

straight sniff from imp is sharp, clean....a burst of fresh air...

once applied this truly is *fresh springtime breeze* with a hint of sweetgrass...quite pretty...

and soapy for certain...

this has a short wearlength but lovely nonetheless...so glad i tried =-)

I have to admit, I was expecting something very much along the lines of Dirty. But this is Dirty's sophisticated, complex cousin. In the bottle it smells like a hint of something floral (rose to me, but I'm probably just thinking that's what it is because I like it) and clean linen drying in the sun. On...it's like there's this astringent vegetable note, like you get from Burts' Bees toner. It makes the clean smell "pop" a bit, so it's not just like soap, and it doesn't fade or seem ordinary. Very unisex, and very lovely.

Yeah, I have to agree that there's something *else* going on here that differentiates Wensleydale from Dirty. There's a hint of sweetness....whether it's gardenia, sweet pea, pear, or what have you, I'm not sure what it is (or even if it's fruit or sweet floral). It's just an immaculately clean scent, heh.

I liked but didn't lurve Dirty, as it's outside of my range of scent categories to obsess over. However, Wensleydale is encouraging me to make an exception.

I would say that it's more feminine than unisex on me, but that's mainly due to the sweet note wafting through the clean soapy cotton. After wearing it for a few minutes, I am also getting the slightest hint of the fairest, palest musk.

I was going to wear Snake Oil today, but now I feel like smelling bright, fresh, and clean all day. I chose it over Snake Oil! :D

!!A Winner!!

:P

4.6 out of 5

To quote Outkast, "Ain't nobody dope as me I'm just so fresh so clean."

This is freshly-soaped squeaky-clean skin. Pristine white sheets, bleached cotton and creamy white wool. Pure, innocent, clean and simple.

"Pristine" is a nice word for this. It's definitely soapy-clean/fresh and immensely pleasant. It's not fading on me too quickly, either - I got this as a tester-sniffy in a forum order, and it's sticking around past the two-hour mark.

I probably won't buy it as a bottle because it's not the sort of thing I'd actually wear pretty much ever, but if you're a Dirty fan or love the concept, I'd definitely recommend it.

Exactly as described! It is fresh, clean, and cotton-like. I don't find it sharp at all, and it lends an overall lightness and softness to my mood. It's like the best smelling sweet cotton laundry you will ever smell in your life, but at the same time... I don't find it too laundry-like or soapy to be worn as a perfume, for those that like clean scents. There's almost a fruit-floral undertone that keeps this from getting too high-pitched and soapy. I like what was said somewhere above me: that this is like Dirty's more sophisticated cousin.

Sweet, fresh soapiness -- definitely not for me. Give me something dirty and musky and I'm good -- this is the diametric opposite of that. It's bright, clean, a little brisk and a touch floral -- and soapy.

Definitely fits the character, though!

Fresh & clean, what a surprise! :D Yes, white cotton sheets hung on the line, flapping in the sunshine... but there's a trace of citrus & white flowers, too, akin to The Hermit (minus the dry paper note). I can definitely see how this could go soapy if my chemistry or the weather shifted a bit, so this will stay a fun decant, no more. Mind you, if Beth starts making BPAL laundry detergent, I'm all over a Wensleydale version :P

WENSLEYDALE

In Bottle: Clean and sweet

On Skin: This is so pretty! It has a very sharp soap note, but under that there is the sweetest creamy note that really balances it and helps the sharpness not overpower the scent. This smells like bathing a baby and wrapping then in the softest cotton blanket you have. Clean, sweet, tender and soft. Innocence and purity. I think this might be the best scent for a linen spray ever and I plan on getting a bottle just for that. It has an average to strong throw and a moderate wearlength.

This starts out with a soapyness that I expected, but that dries out to a lovely, fresh, airy - hard to put your finger on what you're smelling - loveliness. It's a little sweet on me (most things are), but in a good, soft way. It's lasted about 2 hours on me so far, soft but still there. I will definitely be ordering a nice sized collection of this. Good summer scent.

(does this maybe have Gardenia in it? I have a very similar smell between this one, Dirty, Fairy Market, and Veil of all things. So I'm trying to find something in common)

Edited by CaudaPavonis

Does what it says on the tin! Freshly scrubbed clean skin, freshly laundered and ironed cotton. Very bright on application. On drydown, I can detect a hint of the luscious cotton note that underlies Black Lace, but obviously this is without all the depraved tobacco and cognac :P

DELICIOUS! I adore this scent, it's so fresh and clean and without that "soapiness" and there is a little something sweet and almost fruity in this as well. It's a perfect cool, clean and bright scent - I wish I had ordered a bottle of this!

"]In Vial: Smells like soap and a hint of herbal flowers

Wet: This isn't what I expected. Reminds me of hand soap. This is a bit more perfumey than I was expecting. There is a bit of floral coming out now.

Dry: I see a little girl when I smell this, with freshly washed hair. This blend smells like a childs shampoo[/size].

In bottle: Highly floral. It does smell like freshly cleaned laundry hung out to dry in a spring garden. Wet: Much the same only with more musk. It’s quite yummy as florals go. Dry: Ends up smelling like a slightly more complex White Rabbit as the laundry scent outlasts the flowers.

In the bottle: very clean, very light soapiness, no cotton

Wet: very clean with a green scent underneath - a green like stems, not leaves

Dry: a very slight creaminess is emerging, while the green is going away. I never have smelled the cotton, just clean skin.

This will be a very nice summer scent. I think I'll get a bottle

Fresh and clean but feminine at the same time. The perfect scent when you want a subtle scent. Think garden party or wedding.

I wore this with a linen dress and felt fresh, cool, and 100% girly all day long!

This is...exactly what my hands smell like after I wash them with soap, lol Except the soapiness in here isn't the SOAP OF DEATH that most hand soaps use, but rather a nice touch to emphasize the clean. Very nice, but I think I might like Dirty better--this is a 'wet' clean, and Dirty is more of a clean dry sheets scent. I'll keep the decant, but probably won't spring for the bottle.

First on, Wensleydale makes me smell like I rubbed floral dryer sheets all over myself, with almost a fruity sweetness. It was dry, almost ozone-y (ozone smells like dryer sheets on me though), with a high pitched sweetness. I don't get the hint of greenery that others have mentioned, so that disappointed me. In the drydown, it smells like soap. Creamy, floral soap. I also catch hints of something sharply musky every once in a while.

I hate blends that go soapy on me (usually reminding me of harsh dish soap), but this isn't as bad or harsh as I was expecting. It dries down to a creamy, soft, expensive smelling floral soap. I'd still never wear it again, but it isn't giving me a headache or making me run to wash it off either.

In the imp, this is incredibly clean & light - a very subtle scent, like line-dried clothes.

On my skin, it gets slightly soap-y - not unpleasantly so, but very clean and pure.

When it's dry, it's taken on a very sharp nature - very strange. But it absolutely smells like soapy skin.

In the bottle: Very pale yellow oil. Clean, fresh, floral and a little planty. Pale green and white in feel.

Wet: Quite soapy, but not quite unbearably. Plantier, like wet crushed leaves and a dew-kissed grass. The florals are white and quite bright, verging on sharp. Lilies. An airy feel.

Dry: Ah, I recognize the lab's crisp linen note, which I quite like. This reminds me a bit of Berenice as a result. The lilies give this a bit of sweetness as well as some soapiness, but I don't find this sweet like others.

Later: I think gardenia is a good guess for the sharp white floral in this, as it is amping and taking over on my skin like gardenia typically does. The green planty note has amped a bit too though, and that sort of makes it more bearable. Soap and lilies hold.

Summary: Rather sharp, bright gardenia over soap, linen, lilies, and wet crushed leaves. It is indeed a very clean scent, but also quite strong and on my skin, so heavily floral it's feminine. Very strong throw and lasting power.

It's rather refreshing, and the gardenia is better here than it often it is, but this is just a bit too sharp and soapy for my tastes.

ETA: After washing my hand a few times, I can still smell it and a sexy earthy musk note that reminds me of the Fire Pig/Earth Rat drydowns, too! Yum.

Edited by fairnymph

I love this scent, I smell like my bed clothes after they've been washed and hung out in the sunshine.

Edited by plunderparlour

I received my Wensleydale today -

and I love it!

It is pretty similar to Dirty, but it has a little more musk-y underline to me.

Its fresh, clean,a bit soapy and like a breath of fresh air to me.

Yes, Mr Wensleydale is a Winner.