Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Leopard403

Bruised Violet Compound

Crushed violets, red currant, patchouli root, and Spanish moss.

I think that I would love this blend if it didn't have the moss in it.

I think this smells so unbelievably beautiful in the vial, and it's nowhere near as good on my skin. In the vial it's dark, bruised, perfect violet with the best red currant smell evah - juicy, dark, tart, and delicious. I would be so happy if I could get just the violet and currant.

On me, I would never guess that this even has violet in it. It's mostly moss, of a sour and bright green sort of variety. Wet, swampy moss rather than dry moss. There's the tiniest hint of earthiness from the patchouli root. And it's all rounded out by a tart fruitiness. Over time, the patchouli perks up and teams up with the moss to get rid of the currant. I'm left with hyper, psychotic, sour moss and the patchouli. I can't pick out any violet. It smells rather spooky and interesting on my skin, but it's probably not something I'll find myself wanting to wear that often.

I keep sniffing this in the vial and wishing it were that good on my skin. I might keep my imp and age this and hope the moss chills out (or disappears). Bruised Violet Compound is fantastic, but my skin chemistry just butchers it :P

I skin-tested BVC at Shelldoo's ages ago, when it was first released - all I remembered was that it was strong... massive throw, even outside. Giving it a fair shot this morning, and it's still a very... forward scent. The patchouli & moss combo is deliciously dank & dreary, and for once moss is behaving. The violets are shy, barely perfuming the earthy greenness. Same with the currant - it's hiding in the undergrowth, just a trace of tart, syrupy sweetness.

If I was 17 again & wearing Black Like My Soul & cavorting around graveyards murmuring Smiths songs, I'd be all over BVC. Alas, I no longer have the ennui to pull this off :P

Oh dear. I put this on and thought "violet and something weird...why did I order this in particular?" then I saw that the description had redcurrant and suddenly I knew what I had been hoping for - except that this doesn't smell of violet and redcurrant, it smells of violet and something slightly medicinal with nary a redcurrant to be found! I have no idea whether I should be blaming the Spanish Moss or the Patchouli for what happens when this hits my skin but it isn't something I want to smell like. That said, I believe there are people out there who will love this - it's like Ultraviolet but with something more sinister and grown up instead of the frosty mint note.

Herbal violets, with a hint of earth and greenery.

I really like this. I thought it would end up being to sweet and sickly, but this is a darker more intense true violet smell. I think the patchouli root really gives it the darker more earthier vibe.

After dry down the moss really comes into play and sort of squashes the crushed violets into the background.

In the Bottle: Smells very very clean to me.. The current is very obvious too-- it's really juicy. Violets with only the tiniest hint of the moss.. I guess they haven't been crushed yet :D but they will be momentarily.

Wet: Hmm that must be the patchouli root coming forward (bruising those violets :P ), lending a cologne quality at this point, rather masculine.. only the currant is giving it a sweetness.. the violets are way back in the background now.

Dry: Well this definitely turned out more masculine (or gender neutral I guess) than I thought it would! I don't think the violets are that distinct, they only lend a clean soapiness to the strong moss and root notes. I find it a little drier of a scent than I would expect as well, as the image I get when imaging this oil is of rain drenched forest floors where violets grow under dark mossy logs. I'm not sure how similar patchouli root is to plain old patchouli, but I do get a little BO and celery vibe from this, which often happens to me with patchouli. That's up close however, the throw is mostly moss and currant to my nose. Interesting! Glad I have a bottle to experiment with. :D

Edited by MCS4096

imp: soft violets.

wet: this is a very airy violet scent. i know there's more in here with the violet but it's not strong. this smells like there are violets blooming nearby and the scent is being carried to me on a breeze.

dry: a soft, light violet scent.

again, i don't like violets. but i love patchouli and spanish moss, and currant can be interesting.

this turned out a lot nicer than i was expecting - it doesn't smell like candied violets! but the spanish moss takes over everything, and blends with what i guess is the patchouli root (which doesn't smell like any patchouli i've got), the currant never shows up for me, and i'm left with something that smells strangely a lot like Greed. :P

In the bottle, it's all earthy and herbal. The moss and the patchouli, methinks.

Wet, it's kinda fresh green notes, with a sweetness creeping through. Here come the violets. Gorgeous!!! Nothing's overpowering anything, but they blend so well.

Drying down, it's all about the violets and the patchouli. There's a difference between this violet and other violets I've tried. This is dirty violet - and I mean that in a good way, these are violets on the prowl...violet on me is normally sweet and innocent, but not these ones. They're kinda coy though for all of that, they come and go...but either way, it's all good. I'm so glad I have a bottle of this, and will definitely be coming back for more.

Well I like violets so I have pretty high hopes for this one!

imp -> a rather tart violet

wet -> A very strong and perfumey violet. A little over powering. Makes my head ache slightly when I sniff too close. Reminds me of a woman my mom used to know. Dark and powerful with a small dose of mystery.

after a while-> This softens into a light powdery violet. Unfortunately it's more powder than violet.

This went on as a floral with a funny, almost molasses-like spice behind it at first. Interestingly, the scent was a very tart, almost sour one, like a citrus, only not with the citrus "tang" to it. Without a doubt, this is the red currant that I'm smelling, though unlike my other experiences, it doesn't smell like jam.

After an hour or two, it is a tart fruit over an earthy base… with a touch of dustiness from the Spanish moss. Not long after this, it went through a slight "bitter powder" stage, but thankfully that didn't last too long.

The eventual end-state is the scent of soap-cleaned skin: fresh, low-key, and casual.

Recaplet: Tart fruit over earthiness with a clean skin finish.

My rating: 2 of 5 (Meh.)

Color Impression: Pale yellow-green.

well - weird. I think this is hugely oakmoss. I love oakmoss but was shopping for violets. I have this sense that wood and violets will be great and I kind of don't like violets with other flowers so this seemed like it would be a good thing. I can tell they are under there...

when I first get it on it is actually sweeter and there is kind of an old time lozenge thing and then it goes through a minty olive oil stage. but I can't stay away from it and have been wearing it to bed and there seems to be kind of a mirage smell that is never there when I put my nose to my skin but has inundated my bedding and just kind of wafts by me periodically where I totally get the violets and it is sweeter and I get the currant and it is sophisticated and wonderful.

so - weird.

I bet I end up getting another bottle.

I am on pretty comfortable terms with weird.

I like this one alot! I'm a big fan of patchouli and red currant and the dark, musky smell mixes very well with the sweetness of the violet. Good one! :)

In the imp, this is patchouli and violets. A bit too patchouli heavy for me, hopefully the violet will bloom on my skin.

Gah, no, on my skin this is like, all patchouli root...almost has that weird cedary pencil smell I get sometimes. Barely any violet or currant at all.

Yeah, on my skin this 85% patchouli root, with the last 15% a mix of the violet, currant, and moss. Too much patchouli root for me (which goes pencil-y on me), but would be good for someone who wants a truly dark, earthy violet type of scent and doesn't amp patchouli the way I do.

Yep, that's violet all right! It starts out really strong, but then fades back nicely. The other elements stay in the background, but do have a presence.

Fresh from the lab, Bruised Violet Compound was full of tart and juicy currants, so I let the imp sit for a while. The bright currants calmed down: they're still here but they're darker and less noisy, just adding a fruity overtone that fades out after an hour or two. Now this scent strikes me as simultaneously dark and clean, it reminds me of a forest at the brink of a graveyard: lots of wet, clean, green moss (this note is really dominating the blend, start to finish), complemented by deep patchouli and sprinkled liberally with velvety violets. Freshly washed but gothy.

Imp: violet and red currant

Wet on Me: violet, less red currant but add patchouli and the moss

Drying Down: the violet is going bye-bye now. Just a mossy patchouli now with flashes of faint red currant

Dry: a nice soft patchouli with mossy undertones. Not bad….I guess the Violet was so bruised it went home.

Imp: sharp woods

Wet: tart violets & woods. This is not a sweet powdery violet.

Drydown: This scent is punchy. And I guess that's why the violets are bruised. It is sour and astringent.

Overall: I don't care for this one.

It's a pretty violet and patchouli in the imp, but on my skin, it's straight-up violet soap! Where on earth am I getting the soap smell from? No patchouli, no currant, just violet soap, and I've not known moss to have any kind of a soapy effect. Perhaps it's the violet, although I don't recall having a problem with it before. I'll have to dig up my other violet blends and check. It's hard to wash off, too.

This was unpleasant and strong for about an hour, and I was considering washing it off, but something kept me from doing so.

After an hour, it changed and I started smelling strongly of having been sitting in mud planting violets all day. The violets are in very moist soil and in the shade on what is otherwise an incredibly bright sunny day. This smells like the whole violet plant (including dirty roots!) rather than just the flowers.

I like it. This isn't my normal thing, but I like it. It'll be great in late summer.

This is mostly violet on me. A strong, heady floral perfume. The red currant in the background is unmistakable. I love its tart fruitiness. And there’s also something soapy and lemony that clears your head. Not catching any patchouli or moss at all. I’m a fan of violet from time to time, so I’ll keep this imp to wear when the mood hits me, although I don’t think a bottle is needed.

~~~bruised violet compound~~~

In the Imp: dusty with something rootlike...not sassafras, but something really earthy...

Wet: Ok I still smell something earthy, but i get violets and now someone at the picnic has dropped their dill pickle in the dirt next to the clump of violets that I was smelling.... how odd.

Dry: The violets grow and the rooty/earthy smell starts getting stronger....now has a cedarlike quality to it...it's beginning to take over the whole shebang, but as I have learned, I must wait for all acts before judging the play....

Timelapse 1 hour: Oh, that root is getting stronger and stronger....it's patchouli....and I don't care for patchouli, although the earthy quality of the root is somewhat better than straight patchouli. Hippie in the dirt is better than hippie in the air for me, but not by much....

Timelapse 2 hours: Didn't make it that long. Patchouli root had to be removed. I tried. Lord, how I tried. But I quit this one even though i really like violet.... :thud:

Verdict: Industrial strength, as the fragrance didn't budge from my wrist. If you like patchouli, this is a gorgeous blend, a must try. It's the first blend that made me wish I could tolerate patchouli. If you don't like patchouli...well, try it on a day when you have a cold. It's truly worth a try, just be forwarned of it's strength. Best advice I can give!! [=

This what I was expecting Malediction to be, but softened with the moss.

Gently scruffy, courteously sweet, and quite nice.

ooooh, i was frimped this in my most recent order and I LOVE it. unfortunately the vial had shattered but a bit remained inside. it smells great, like violets and dirt rather than the candyish scent i normally associate with violets. I might need a bottle.

I’ve been letting my imp age a bit. It’s been nearly a year since I received it.

Right off the bat, I smell sweetened violets with maybe a hint of patchouli underneath. It’s very subtle on my skin. It’s only present as an earthy note.

As it dries down, it sweetens up quite a bit. I can really smell the currants coming through now. Behind it, the violet is popping through lightly. It’s only present as a floral note. It also isn’t distinguishable as “violet”.

It’s dry now, and my overall impression is sweet currants with violets and earth.

Very nice!