Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Leopard403

Slippery Poppy Tincture

Supports psychic health and strengthens the astral body! Dissolves and expels telepathic blockage!
Every medium should have it! Use before every séance!
Poppy flowers, acai berry, and honey.

Lovely! A bright red floral that, upon first whiff, reminded me of the Yankee Candle scent Tulip. It lingers on my skin and softens a bit over time. Perfect for a sexy summer night.

Yes, this is definitely a lovely "red floral"! It's deep and rich, and the poppy and berry notes are strong; in fact, I can barely smell the honey in it. The acai berry notes almost remind me of a mix of lush raspberries, strawberries, and cherries, but without the sickly-sweet scent that berry notes can take. It has nice throw and wear length, too. A perfect summer scent!

Edited to add: Wearing this reminds me of those lovely Marimekko (sp?) prints with the big, red poppies on the. It's a lush, strong fragrance!

Edited by BookGirl

In the bottle: Sharp-spicy, dusty poppies dominate, leaving in their wake sweet honey and purply-ripe, herbal berries.

Wet: I think there must be carnation and/or nasturtium in this as well as the poppy, because the top floral notes are just SO peppery, with such a spicy kick! The berries are a bit juicier here, but also a little sour, and there's a sharp green semifloral note rapidly amping. Honey is faint behind these bullies.

Dry: Slow-drying, continually amping oil. This is the potent, pungent green carnation of Her Voice and Passionate Shepherd. Overpowering within a few inches and in combination with the dark, bitter poppy note. However, from a distance I mostly catch whiffs of delicious honey and wild, earthy berries (to me, the berry note reminds me of the lab's blackberry and huckleberry notes - all are fruity and ripe but have a sort of woody, very natural undertone).

Summary: I've never experienced a scent that smells so radically different at close and far ranges. It's a bit mind-boggling! Maybe it has to do with that separation of selves implied by the description/purpose of the scent. Thus I must describe it in bipolar terms; ripe, honeyed, juicy, wild purple berries with an herbal edge (wonderfully fruity and summery, recalls The Oblation) from 5+ inches, but close to the skin I smell snappy green carnation and bitter, slightly dusty dark poppy. With more time, these do meld togtether somewhat, improving the blend. Good but bizarre throw; moderate lasting power.

Up for swap.

Edited by fairnymph

straight sniff from imp is scary, dusty poppy :D

holy moly once applied batboy!!! the poppy note is nothing short of amazing

with lots of soft spice and honey...and here i thought this would be my least fav...

it is my most desired of the pharmacopoeia line ...go figure...

*skips off to find a big bottle* :P

In bottle/imp: Very sharp… pine-like flowers and harsh berries.

Immediately on skin: This is very… acrid on my skin. Something about the combination of the poppy and acai berry is very sharp to me. It’s a sweet, fruity floral/berry combo and has an overtone that’s almost apple-like.

After a little while: This smoothes out a lot as it dries. The poppy gets a bit more floral and the honey comes out a little to blend with the berry. This still has a very apple-like tone to it and a sweet, chilly floral quality.

Overall Impressions: This scent is nice, but not something I would wear very often or buy. This is strong on the acai berry, and the poppy comes in behind. The poppy doesn’t smell as… narcotic? Yeah, that’s a good word… not as narcotic as it usually smells on me. It smells a bit more like a traditional floral. The combo of the acai and poppy is very distinct and strong, and very feminine. I get a little honey in this and thank goodness, it doesn’t turn into a powdery mess like a lot of the lab’s honey notes do.

WELL HELLO POPPY I SEE YOU ARE FEELING CHIPPER TODAY.

This smells like bright red blossoms. If I didn't know this was perfume, I would think I was smelling a flower somewhere in the room. At first its almost too much, but then the honey comes in and calms down the sharp poppy scent a bit. I don't get any acai but I'm discovering that that note doesn't often come out on my skin.

Not quite the scent for me, but if you're a poppy fan, you'll LOVE this.

I really like this one. This isn't the standard poppy fragrance that we are used to. It is lighter and brighter and more plant-like. There's a soft, almost green herbal quality to this with a bit of an astringent bite, and the acai berries seem to just barely dominate the poppy flowers and give this an orange-red tone. The honey is subtle but it is in there. The fragrance sticks around for quite a while and has a very nice throw, one that smells very similar to what it smells like on my skin, yet has an added sweetness. This is my second favorite of the Pharmacopoeia blends. =)

I was a little worried about the honey in this, since me and honey have a very hit or miss relationship.

OMG! :D

This is absolutely GORGEOUS!

As with others, the first thing that popped into my head when I put it on was RED!

And then after a bit..green!

I am not a floral fan, unless they smell like the flower and the greenery, and this does.

Oh boy, I just suck at trying to describe stuff. :D

I will be buying a bottle of this!

ETA....Just wanted to add this in. The more I wear this the deeper in love I fall. I have to slow down because I am already halfway through my imp and I haven't ordered my bottle yet! :P

Edited by strangemodegirl

This is a bright, fresh and mood lifting scent.. the ultimate poppy oil, a good one for summer. In a way, once it has dried, it smells like apple peels -- not the meat of the apple, just the unsweetened peels. I think this would be a good candidate for a room scent.

ETA: This one has completely grown on me, a new favorite and the only thing I've been wearing lately. It's the ultimate mood lifter

Edited by Josh

Bottle: Poppy flowers

Wet: Very generic overpowering flowers with stems. I don't usually do well with florals, but thought I'd give it a chance.

It's amping a lot on me, though, so definitely a no-go.

Drydown: Even when I don't like a scent, it amazes me how Beth and the Lab manage to get a scent so 'spot-on' with

how I exactly thought it should and would smell like. I don't like this scent, but it's poppy flowers, so exactly as described.

2.5 outta 5

This is GORGEOUS! I immediately closed my eyes and said "ooh" as soon as I smelled it in the imp. It's got the same stem-greenery from other blends like One to Tie, and there's a bit of floral, that's gotta be poppy...and this peppery kick, perfectly balanced, that just makes it spicy and that much more interesting. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.

Edited by savage_rose

slippery poppy is somehow too sweet and perfume-y on me - it's certainly a happy scent, that starts out almost sickly sweet, but on my skin a nice planty smell comes out - somehow though, it becomes almost too sharp, a little soapy, and a bit potpourri-ish. i don't exactly dislike it - the planty/fresh flower smell is my favorite aspect of this blend, but it's not wonderful on my skin.

This is so sweet! Almost like a floral candy. The honey's very strong but the greenness from the poppy note keeps this from being cloying. It's bright and cheery and happy. Nice throw, nice staying power--I love it!

BRIGHT BRIGHT peppery poppy.

I hate honey, and can detect it from 20 yards and I can't smell it in this.

The berries aren't quite ripe.

It's a creepy floral. Slippery, indeed.

It's strong and violent and smells VERY fresh and bright and GREEEEEN. I expected it to be sweeter but the bitterness of the poppies and fruit isn't tempered by the honey. Good job the honey IS in there. It could be SO bitter. (OH my, you won't hear me say THAT often!)

Conclusion: Keeping the imp. If it wasn't in this range, and had this name, it would be OUTTA HERE.

3/10 Could have been so much nicer, but just not for me.

Wow.

Just... WOW!

This reminds me SO much of Rose Red, It has a very similar edge to it in the "green" part of the blend. It's sweeter, but it's definitely a relation - perhaps a younger cousin. :P

This is lovely. Fresh, natural, long-lasting and with a REALLY good throw.

This entire category is leaving me incapable of much in the way of analysis. I'm completely blown away by them all.

Wonderful! This is so green. I am not a floral lover, but I found myself really enjoying this blend. It's not overpowering "flowery" flowers; just crisp poppy and green, green stems. I can't detect the honey or berries separate from the poppies, but I can tell they add a nice, non-cloying sweetness to the blend. If you're not very into florals but like "green" and fresh scents, this is one to try. This and SSS are my two favorites from this group.

After reading that this contains my beloved acai berry, I ordered a 5mL straight away.

It's not so great, actually. :P

Wet: OMG, GREENINESS. It's all wet, green flowers and leaves and stems. Where's the honey and berries? :D

Dry: The greenness starts to calm down a little, and the honey is poking around the edges. It's a little tart, and a little sour... yeah, it's just not doing anything for me.

Upon far drydown, though.... it's great! Now I get the honey and acai berry and a little bit of poppy, all nestled together and happy.

I'm going to age this, and I really hope that the green, "slippery" notes will start to fade with time!

SLIPPERY POPPY TINCTURE

In Bottle: Sweet poppies

On Skin: Ooo… I love poppies! And this is a very realistic poppy scent. I feel like I have a bouquet of them!!! The acai is sweet with just the right amount of tartness and the honey is sticky but not overwhelming. This is a very pretty scent and warm in feel… a nice spring day! It has the perfect throw and is a nice mellow floral. It is a little dry and powdery, acai and berries tend to go that way on me. Overall a scent that I can see almost anyone wearing. It has a light throw and short to average wearlength.

In the imp: Light, sweet, cheerful, and joyful. It's a happy making scent.

Wet: Wow. First on, this is all poppies, but the most true-to-nature, just-like-the-flower POPPY. Outrageously gorgeous. During the drydown, a light honey note creeps in and sweetens it up JUST a bit. If you amp sweet notes and are afraid of the honey in this - don't be.

Dry: Not a huge morpher. This stays pretty much bright, gentle, beautiful poppies with the barest coating of honey. The acai berry never really shows up, but I'm not mourning it because this scent is AMAZING. A few hours later, there is a note that is almost reminiscent of the lightest, purest white musk, but that could just be me.

This is definitely bottle-worthy. I bow down to Beth for the creation of this glorious scent.

When I first sniffed this in the vial I thought that maybe the imp had been mislabeled. I never expected a poppy blend to smell like this. Maybe I’m assuming that all poppy notes will be like an opium poppy. Anyway, that is definitely not what is going on here.

When first applied, this is a bright, cheery oil, makes me think of the color red. I could easily see this scent being used in a candle or other type of home fragrance and I think this scent is better suited to that than being used as a perfume. It’s a very cheery scent, and something in there makes me think of a big, red cherry slurpee. I think it’s the acai berry. That association lasts only briefly.

I can smell a titch of honey, just enough to add a soft golden sweetness. The floral is there, slightly spicy, and conceptually brings to mind tulips, even though it doesn’t smell like a tulip. The acai berry is a stronger smell than either the honey or floral.

I love poppies but never really noticed a smell before. This summer I’m going to pay attention. This oil was quite a surprise for me.

I don't know what poppies smell like--we only have the California variety here and I am not sure if they even smell like anything at all! But this smells nice, like tart red fruit candy. mmmmm. it has a pretty strong throw for me---usually my skin sucks up scent quickly and this actually lasts. It smells very red:) It is not innocent or girlie, either, but strong and daytime sexy.

I don't really know what a poppy smells like either, I've always considered the ones in my garden to be pretty scentless.

This smells like a meadow - or more like throwing your blanket down and having a little picnic in a meadow. There's green grass and crushed bitter stems, tiny wild flowers peeking through the mass of stems, and the sweetness of berries and honey that you are eating.

The honey and berries are pretty subtle, and I amp sweets, so you might not notice them at all. The greens really dominate for me.

Verdict: thumbs up for capturing a place and a mood, and wearable to boot.

I don't really smell the honey in this - just lots and lots of juicy, slightly-tart acai at first, and plenty of poppy in the drydown. It smells sort of like tulips (?) to me, and ends up going overly green to my nose. Oh well! Lots of fun to try. :P

Super juicy and green. Plenty of throw. I hardly need a drop and I can smell it for ages. If you like Amsterdam then you'll probably love Slippery Poppy, too.

this is a beautiful scent! it blossoms wonderfully on my skin, remaining bright and red (as others have said). i can smell all three things...the acai, the poppies, the honey. i'd say the honey is pretty prominent, along with the greenish floral tint to it, making for a gorgeous summertime scent. it has pretty good staying power, too. lovely.