Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Tiki King

Black coconut, black musk, lemon blossom, and ironwood bark.

this was the only Tiki scent that sounded even remotely appealing when the series was out....
but my skin interprets it as cedar, so even though i've hung onto this decant in the hopes that it would improve on me with time... nope. no go. so glad it is going to a better home.

Tiki King is a musky coconut on my skin. Not getting much lemon blossom or bark, which is good because I typically amp wood notes. I find the scent to be similar to Lush's Trichomania solid shampoo.

I really thought I would be a Tiki Queen fan, but when I smelled the king, I knew it was all over. The rich, dark coconut smell mixed with the musk is amazing, even in the bottle!. When it dries, however, oh my gosh...It's just decadent and intoxicating and wonderful. The cocnut really lingers, but smells dark enough to not be confused for suntan lotion. And thankfully, it's not a manly smell, so you don't smell like a dude.

Does ironwood bark actually smell like iron? 'Cause that's what I'm smelling. Coconut, lemon, musk, and iron. Wrought iron? Red-hot iron fire-poker? The smell of your hands when you've been messing about with metal? I don't know, but it's fairly unpleasant. Too bad, because I think this would be a winner if not for that.

In the bottle: Coconutawesomesauce! :thud:

Wet: Balmy, almost lemon fresh coconut with a background of wood. Sooooo gorgeous!

Dry: Smoky coconut incense! Wowza, I like this even better than Tiki Queen...this is incredible. This has that "after sun" smell...where you're coming in from the beach at sunset, your skin is golden brown and smells lightly or coconut oil. Oh I just love this. It almost smells like Snake Charmer...if she went on vacation to an island somewhere.

Overall: Welp...a new instant favorite for me. :wub2: Freaking drop.dead.gorgeous

ETA:

Husbands review: "Smells like a spice candy in a Halloween store that's scented by warm vanilla candles."

I think that's a good thing! :lol:

Edited by Monster

This is tanning lotion coconut at first but, given a chance, it dries down to all musk and wood with only hints of coconut to sweeten it. I get just the barest whiff of lemon. I'm not sure this is something I would wear, but then again its January and maybe I should test it out on sunwarmed skin in the summer and see how it goes then! I can see it being very sexy warm.

Wet, it's a mouthwatering black coconut, which had me all excited. I absolutely love black coconut (think ubersexy Red Lantern) and was hoping this would do something similar. I was expecting it to keep the coconut as the dominant note, but unfortunately, after it dries down completlely it's almost all lemon blossom and ironwood bark--the bark of which comes out really masculine on me as my skin tends to amp many strong masculine notes :eek:--and I'm crushed. The end result on me is dry and pretty manly lemony wood with a hint of coconut in the background. Bummer. I'm holding out hope that something else with black coconut does surface this summer, though.

Edited by Invidiana

Tiki King reconfirms that black coconut is magic on my skin. I love the black variety because it isn't too sweet (like, say, the coconut in Tiki Princess) nor too milky like in Obatala (although I do love the milky coconut too!!). On my skin, black coconut delivers a lovely natural coconut smell that's fresh and fragrant without smelling like Malibu liqueur.

The black musk merges beautifully with the coconut, making it seem more deep and rich. On my skin, the lemon blossom is the topmost note - sweet, but very natural smelling - I would prefer it to be a bit more subdued as it's amping a little over the other notes for me, but it's not unpleasant. The bark is as it should be - a nice bottom layer, adding to the overall natural feel of this blend.

I think the King is my favourite of the Tiki royal family - it's rich and intoxicating but not overwhelmingly 'tropical' smelling.

Big thanks to lamenteuse for the frimped decant! :smile:

I recently ordered this unsniffed and I am glad I did. I knew it would be good.

Bottle: Black musk and wood with w touch of cocnut and lemon

Fresh: LEMON with an undercurrent of musky coconut. le NOM

I really really really like this. It isn't as coconutty as i would have liked but luckily Tielan sent an imp of elegba too, which satifies my coconut urge. (SCORE i didn't even know about that one!)

Tiki king is going to get oodles of use this summer. In fact, even though its just the beginning of spring, when i huff my wrists i can see the sunlight glinting off water, i can almost feel the rays adding subtle highlights to my hair. I can almost hear the gentle hum of humidity and sensual heat. WOOHOO bring on bikini season I feel like seducing my man in the sun!

Several thoughts on this:

• It is a partner scent for Black Pearl.

• It actually smells JUST like a tiki bar. It’s like you’re there, surrounded by the wood carvings and drinking something out of a coconut. In my imagination, I can even almost smell a little bit of butane from the pu-pu platter. That’s how realistic of a sensory experience it creates.

• It is the most retro scent I’ve ever tried on. It smells like 60s beach culture translated into scent form.

• The ironwood reads as sandalwood/cedar on me. I wish I didn’t amp these woods so much. It is almost, but not quite, a dealbreaker.

Overall, I like it a lot. It started out smelling like a coconut seven-layer bar, and then there was an unsettling period about one hour in when it smelled like the aforementioned bar cookie sitting in a hamster cage; but it ironed out in the end and became very appealing. The lemon blossom is beautiful.

reminds me very much of goblin (a love of mine) with gentle lemon. i like it a lot!

I got this off the forum a couple years ago and never reviewed it for some reason.

So, in the bottle I get a rather unpleasant blast of lemon cleaning product. And I don't mean lemon, which makes me think of cleaning supplies-- this has an actual bleach type odor to the lemon that's pretty gross. Once it hits my skin though, the throw is all black coconut with a hint of lemon and musk. That lemon blossom still isnt totally appealing to my nose, but the overall blend is pleasantly exotic. I couldnt tell you what ironwood bark smells like, so that note is lost to me unfortunately because it must be blending with the coconut and musk. Over time the lemon blossom dies back a bit and this becomes one of the most traditionally masculine smelling blends I've experienced. I'm not sure why I think so, but it just really smells like an aftershave-- a delicious, beachy, tropical aftershave, but still.

I've kept this around because I do love the smell, and think I can wear it, but I rarely do.

Wet: Dark, earthy coconut. A hint of lemon. Really nice. I agree with a previous reviewer that this immediately reminds me of Lush's Trichomania. This is not a bad thing. This is more tropical than I was even expecting. It makes me want to go on vacation. Man, I love coconut.

Dry: Warm coconut, hints of musk. Quite earthy. Only a little hint of the lemon blossom remains, but it adds to the overall tropical feel of the scent. I love it. I am a coconut fiend, but this is different enough from my other coconut scents to have a home in my collection. I can't wait to wear it this summer!

In the bottle: Coconut and a touch of lemon.

On my skin:

Lemon swims to the surface first. After a moment, I can also feel the warming that is my skin reacting to black coconut. (Context, for anyone who is uncertain and/or needs it: My skin reacts to a whole host of notes. The warming reaction to black coconut is noticeable but not significant enough to be unpleasant.) Pretty soon, I also get a bit of wood as a grounding note. In the next phase of the drydown, the black coconut reemerges as a distinct note although it still plays background to the lemon.

There are a few fleeting instants when I think one of the other notes -- once the coconut, once the musk -- is going to come out ahead of the lemon. But no.

What is nice is that the lemon blossom is fairly light and the other notes play close to the skin. It does make for a nice subtle perfume on very hot days.

Tiki King is a woody, lemony coconut on me, with the dry feeling I associate with the coconut husk note in other blends.  Except for the lemon which it may be contributing to, I don't get any black musk until much later in drydown.  Unfortunately, my skin eats this up in about 30 minutes, after which it lingers on for a few hours (and the black musk comes out) but is very faint.  I will stick with my Startled Toad for my lemony unisex coconut needs. 

From the bottle it's way sharper and darker than I anticipated, but I don't dislike it, but on my skin it goes a little fruitier, the black musk constantly in the background, and the coconut as a top note.

It's still somewhat sharp, woody, and the lemon makes is only slightly kinda aftershave/cologne-y. Masculine. I'm sure this would smell awesome on a guy. On me though... I'm not convinced.

This is pretty much pure coconut on me. The coconut is more on the meaty side and has a woodsy musk to it (I'm guessing that's both the black musk and bark). I'm imagining a coconut that just fell off the tree.