Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pineapple, mandarin orange, raspberry, passion fruit, and rum.

This one worried me when I first smelled it in the bottle. The rum gave a sort of caramel scent to it that over powered everthing else. And sticky sweet food like scents don't work on me at all.

Wet it still smells rather sticky sweet with the rum but I can start to get small peeks from the fruit that makes me hopeful. It smeelis like mainly the pineapple is beating the rum into submission

After about 5 minutes the passion fruit and pineapple blend into something tropical and yummy! There is the tartnesses of the raspberry that's in the back ground. It's a really nice scent. I'm happy with it.

I concur with Emu Nymph about the sugary-ness of this one in the wet stage; I thought the dark sweet rum note smelled a little bit like the sugars from Sugar Skull. Once on my skin though the fruit starts to come out - pineapple first and then it morphs into an awesome sweet & tart fruit punch blend! It really does smell like a great big bowl of fruity rum punch.

The rum note in here is deep, rich, and a little sweet. It is not a bitter alcohol note so don't be scared. Full-on rum and fruit like a beach party should be. :P

this does have a sort of brown-sugar sweetness to it, making the fruits sort of syrupy. more fruity/juicy on the drydown definately. sort of carelessly sexy ;p

bottle: there's that weird pineapple scent again, it just smells scary! i can also catch whiffs of the orange and passion fruit.

wet: whoa! this smells like boozy life savers candy! image whay plunking a whole roll of those into a rum drink would smell like.

dry: the fruitiness fades a bit and this smells like a very sweet, slightly fruity rum drink. yum, yum, yum!

Okay, truth? The first whiff of this made me cringe. This is STRONG!

The notes blend pretty seamlessly, so I am completely unable to pick out which scent creates that strength.

Once on my skin, though, I begin to suspect that rum is the culprit, because once that strong top note burns off I am left with a lovely, fruity, Life-Saver-y type scent.

rangoon riptide would be sticky sweet fruity goodness if it weren't for the rum. i love to drink rum but it apparently hates my skin! the sweet pineapple and tart orange are sooo yummy but i can always smell the rum behind it, making everything flat and horrible. sigh.

Where Screeching Parrot was Grapefruit punch on me, this one is Pineapple punch on me. I like it only slightly less than the Parrot and it indeed makes my mouth water.

The booze is a nice under note. Not harsh or alcoholly in any way. Most enjoyable.

Bottle: Rum and pineapple, some raspberry

Wet: I get pineapple and rum, with berries and misc. other fruits.

Drydown: There's a fun and fizzy undertone to this, that keeps it from being too grown up.

3.0 outta 5

*tipsy enough to be singing Tiki Bar karaoke by this point, she toys with the maraschino cherry garnish on her drink, then takes a sniff*

Something that has really impressed me about the Lounge Bar scents is that each is different, and yet they all capture the playful, tropical feel. Riptide is mainly raspberry fizz on me--reminds me of Sweet Tarts or, weirdly enough, Emergen-C (you know, the fizzy fruit-flavored packets you add to water?). On the drydown, I can detect the passion fruit. I like it, but actually this one did not agree with my skin as well as the others in the set; there was a stage there, as it dried, that was kind of icky on me.

I tried Rangoon Riptide at WC and thought that I didn't give it enough *alone* time. After trying so many different oils my nose starts to think they all smell the same. After smelling this at WC, my notes just had ??? after it. I put a little on today and really didn't smell too much, so I added more. To me, this is very light, with some fruit and a touch of rum. I could not distinguish the different fruits, just a jumble of them. Of all the Lounge bar scents I have tried so far, this is the lightest. It does seem to get better the longer you wear it, but you have to wait a good 40 minutes to get the full effect.

In the imp, this is possibly the single sweetest scent I've ever smelled. But I like sugar, so that's OK with me! :P

On, the pure sugar rush faded into a melange of fruitiness. Definitely a fruit-punch kind of scent. On me, the rum didn't come out at all in any stage of wear, and I think that's probably good.

Eventually, this dries into a general fruity sweetness in which it is impossible for me to pick out individual notes. However, it's the best balanced of the fruity Tikis I've tried, without any single notes coming out and punching you in the nose. I'm thoroughly on the fence about whether to order a bottle of this or not.

I bought this unsniffed because I was in love with the description. Then I got it and HATED IT!! It hit me in the face and laughed at me.

Eventually I grew a set and put it on and now I can't keep my face out of my wrist.

It kind of reminds me of bubble yum gum. It's sweet and a little tart at the same time and ohmygodLOVE.

Seriously, don't judge it by it's in the bottle smell. It's really quite wonderful.

In bottle/imp: Pineapple and rum.

Immediately on skin: This is thick and syrupy sweet. The rum is strong, and blending in I get quite a bit of pineapple and a hint of raspberry. The rum is really the main note and smells boozy and sticky.

After a little while: I'm testing this along with Golden Wave, and where Golden Wave is dry and fizzy, Rangoon Riptide is thick and syrupy. This is primarily a spiced holiday type of rum scent with the fruit adding in a little kick; mainly the pineapple, but also the raspberry and passion fruit. I really don’t get any orange from this.

Overall Impressions: This is a thick, boozy scent and very heavy on the rum. It’s so syrupy and sweet on my skin but I get little hints of the fruit notes (except for the orange). This is a bit heavy and boozy on me and I guess I just don’t enjoy rum notes. On me it’s not very well balanced either, but I’m sure it’s just my chemistry.

This is the same spiced warm drink-rum from Upa Upa. Oddly enough this is much less fruity...it reminds me of the Bigelow Orange tea, spicy and containing fruit, but not really fruity. This seems like a fall scent to me.

Aaaaand after 10 minutes it's gone. Sigh.

straight sniff from imp is nasueating... :P

sweet, cloying butter...

once applied the scent changes dramatically....loads of fruit with

just the right touch of rum...

this fades fast and furiously and alas, not my cup of tea....

Rangoon Riptide-

In Bottle: Mmm, pineapple and brown sugar!

Wet: Pineapple and caramelly brown sugar.

Dry: Goodness, my skin really eats up the fruit in this. It recedes quickly, and I've got a sugary rich place on my wrist that I can't stop sniffing. I'm going to have to try this in quantity, because it's quite delicious. I don't get any booze off it, though.

Overall: Rich, delicious and candy-like.

At first: Sharp, citrussy fruits and a bit of sweet rum.

On: Juicy pineapple, tart passion fruit, fresh orange, and very sweet raspberry. Lovely. The rum is in the background.

2 hours later: A sweet, sophisticated fruit scent.

3 hours later: Just sweet.

Overall: This is fun at first, but it goes sorta boring on me after it dries. This might be good if I use it in another way.

In the bottle: Buttery (???) orange, pineapple, and rum.

Wet: Very similar, less buttery though thankfully. Heavier on the pineapple and a bit of raspberry peeks through. Very fruity, and quite sweet and foody.

Dry: Settles into a much more blended and less cloyingly sweet fruity scent. The rum is still a bit buttery, but it's faint. A sparkling passion fruit note emerges in the distance, making this a light tropical punch.

Summary: Fruity tropical punch. Quite sweet, but not overwhelming. The rum note is surprisingly warm and yummy, but overall, this scent is just too foody for me.

This smells like the thick syrupy glaze section of a pineapple upside down cake. I'm not a really big foodie, so I'm not too into this. It is definitely buttery and smooth...sort of like a butterscotch lifesaver with pineapple. On my skin, the pineapple peaks out a little more, but not enough to make me happy.

This one seems quite a bit flatter than the others.

Passion fruit I think, with some raspberry.

There's a slightly sweet undertone but overall very muted.

I was prepared to love this most of all the Tikis (raspberry!!) but BPAL is always full of surprises. The top note/wet stage of Rangoon Riptide was so off-putting on me. It smelled like burnt...*something*...something not good. After about 5 minutes it became a delicious raspberry candy. Now that's more like it! It faded really fast, though, and my skin was a little itchy where I'd dabbed it, so...glad I tried it, but I think I'll stick with Lady Macbeth for my raspberry fix.

Plump raspberries muddled in a glass with orange peel. Fill said glass with rum, top off with tropical juices and shake. Pour into a hollowed out pineapple and garnish with a paper umbrella. Sip, stare at the sunset, repeat.

Rangoon Riptide is heavy, sticky sweet, and cloying on my skin. I love to eat pineapple but am realizing that I hate its scent in perfume-form. The pineapple here is strong, sickly sweet, and a bit plasticy. The rum is somehow even more sugary than it usually is on my skin, like butter-soaked brown sugar and butterscotch. The drydown is something like pineapple fruit punch with an extra pound of sugar. I can't even say for certain that I smell the raspberry or orange at all, which is what I was hoping for. I seem to amp up the sweetness in this to an extreme, and the pineapple note just doesn't work for me.

Goes on like Sweet Tarts :P Tart, sugary and fruity!

It's very strongly pineapple and rum, and I love how sweet and strong it is at first. I really like it, but the bummer is that it doesn't stick around on me :D WIthin 15 minutes, I can hardly sniff it on my skin. Too bad, it would be such a fun summer scent!