Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Tangerine, gin, passion fruit, guava, and tonic.

In the bottle: Tangerine

Wet: Mixed tropical fruit

Dry: Softens to orange/floral soap

Not bad

Initial thoughts-> Yummy fruit! I'm hoping the gin and tonic will stay relatively subdued.

Imp-> Tangerine! Not as acidic as an actual tangerine, which is a good thing. Also a faint whiff of passion fruit.

Wet-> Very, very tropical. The boozy notes are coming out, but very faintly.

After a while-> This reminds me of a tropical scented shampoo I used to use. Not that the scent is soapy, it just reminds me of the scent of that shampoo. It goes rather off for some reason though. Another one that would go fantastically in a locket.

First sniff: Like sweetpea, gin appears to be a note that messes up any scent it’s in for me. Which makes me sad, because the outer edges of this are beautiful tropical fruits and sweet pineapple, but the gin is really overwhelming.

Wearing: Fizzy and fruity and sunny… but yeah, too much gin. Dangit.

I love tart scents...heck, I have a lemon tree in my back yard that while growing up you'd just pull a lemon off and eat it right there! But Golden Wave....you and Screetching Parrot may test me yet. In the decant its a very strong, tart scent with heavy booze. Once I put it on its still crazy tart with a really heavy booze. I dont know if I should try less of it but concidering I dont slather my oils on I dont really know how much 'less' would be. I'm going to hang on to the decant if just for the sake of being able to layer something on top to take the edge off of it. :cry2:

Edited by Dracoo9

Out of the bottle this is fizzy tangerine. When I place the bottle further from my nose this smells very similar to a bathroom spray I once had ><

On my skin, BAM! Tangerine watered down with tonic water. I'm not detecting any gin (which I usually pick up as having a pine-like scent) maybe the gine is mixing with the tangerine to create that bathroom air freshener smell I'm getting :cry2:

As it dries the bathroom spray scent is still there...just a fizzy, citrus bathroom spray.

This is really unfortunate since I love ALL of the Tiki bar scents....this just so happens to be the only one that doesn't work for me.

My husband is ESPECIALLY impressed with the Tiki bar scents and has found a love for reviewing oils with me so I need to quote him on his impressions of this as well.

He says..."It really doesn't smell like bathroom spray, if it does it's only becasue it's citrus....a very bright, happy citrus scent."

He likes it, I'll let him have it! :lol:

Wet: Watery, with tropical flowers.

First on: Unchanged.

Dry: Sharp and super watery. Not fruity enough for me.

This started out quite effervescent, chipper!guava!seltzer! Something has roughened, now it smells like fruit stems. I wonder if this is residue from the scruffiness of yesterdays Giant Vulva?? There is nothing in here that should offer this, despite someone above talking about patchouli. The throw is still light and fizzy, but sniffing my wrist directly gives a harsh rough smell.

This is the only Atomic scent I was willing to own, since everything else is based in BARF rum BARF. Did I mention EW RUM? Thank goodness for gin!! :wub2:

Hmmm..fresh, and clean, and citrusy, but not really sweet; imagine the zest of the tangerine, the seeds of the passion fruit...nice, but it's going to get a bit soapy, I think...

Edited by Andrea912

Hmm.. first sniff of the imp reminds me of orange cleaning product.

On my skin the notes that stand out the most are tangerine and something like pineapple. As it dries down, that hint of cleaning product returns, however. It's nice, but it doesn't quite work for me.

From the imp I get a nice bright fruit punch scent, smells alot like fruit punch concentrate.

On my skin, where'd the fruits go? :( Okay what I pretty much get is wham bam thank you ma'am gin... Or what I think is gin... it's the same note that I don't like in Velvet Pink Kitty and apparently I amp gin alot. I like gin in my martini's but not on my skin it's too bitter...

Golden Wave

In the Vial: Fruity! Bitingly fruity. Sharp. Guessing it's the "fizziness" of the gin and tonic mixed w/ the citrusy tangerine.

Wet: Loads of fizzy sharpness. The sharpness settles down quickly and the passion fruit and guava make themselves known as a more grounding v fruity presence.

Drydown: Still a little fizzy, still v brightly fruity.

Verdict: It's nice, it's just not really me. I don't see myself wearing this at all. If there was a drink like this? By all means, I'd drink it. ;) But as a perfume, I'll have to pass.

Getting the fruity aspect of this, not so much the booze. Here's hoping this stays that way. On my skin, it's the fruit... and there's the gin. GODDAMNIT, GIN.

(This review is for the 2010 GC version.)

Like passion fruit-scented soap. Not bad, but not great, either. Throw is poor and it doesn't last at all, which is sad.

GC version

Bright and sparkly--almost as sparkly as Blooddrop's Etoile de Mer. Tangerine give sthis a citrus touch, yet it's not immediately identifiable as itself--I can just tell that there's citrus in there. Bright adn a fruity in a floral way. Guava has been cracked open and is sitting nearby. About 20 minutes in, citrus is gone and it's mostly guava and tonic. Not bad, but meh. Sits on the skin

(this is my review of the gc version of this scent, my original review is here.)

imp: gin with a twist of tangerine, very crisp!

wet: this smells like it would be a delicious drink. it's gin-heavy but it's also fruit-heavy. the tangerine is lovely while the guava and passionfruit are more subtle.

dry: the gin softens beautifully but i still get whiffs of it's crisp piney-ness against the sweet fruit.

GC Version

Golden Wave has a couple of notes I don't like smelling on my skin, namely guava and tangerine. I'm so unused to smelling them that I thought this was an astringent pineapple scent when I first sniffed it.

After reading the notes, I realized that what I thought was pineapple is guava and tangerine, and it's pretty much all I can smell wet or dry (the sharpness/booze in the imp doesn't make it to my skin). It smells okay for a breakfast beverage or a fruit salad, but it's not something I'd like to wear.

Luckily it burns off just as fast as the rest of the Luau Lounge scents I've tried.

Edited by karen

LE version

Bottle: Mostly tangy tangerine.

Wet: Tangerine and mild hints of other fruits with a touch of acrid ass. :ack:

Drydown: Very sour tangerine.

Dry: Gone save a hint of plastic.

Would I ever wear this? In a locket, perhaps.

My rating: 3/5

Fruity and effervescent; initially fizzy tangerine, and dries down to reveal a still sweet-tart but more "pink" feel from the passionfruit and guava that compliments the tangerine very well. This isn't really boozy per se, just has an extra kick of fizz from the gin and tonic.

Golden Wave smells like fruity shampoo. It's the scent of an Australian surfer girl, complete with sun- and salt-bleached blond hair and golden skin. Very easy going, extroverted, and generally sunny. I enjoy smelling it, but it's definitely not me.

Oops! Edited for spelling.

Edited by AmberApple

In bottle: I’m not a fan of juniper and historically despise gin, both on skin and as a drink, so when I say, this is a genuinely pleasant, tangerine dominant, sweet light, fruity scent, it should really tell you something about how well this is blended. I am loving the guava and the passion fruit rounds it out beautifully. I amp citrus, so I’m not skin testing.

In the imp: All the fruits have been sliced or cut up and placed in a glass of gin'n'tonic.

Wet: Mostly guava now in that drink. :)

The dry-down: Something powdery now, perhaps the tonic? It's like the way amber goes to powder on me quite often. Disappointed by the lack of tangerine or passion fruit once I put this on my skin. What's left in the imp will be a locket scent for the future.

ETA: this was a Lab imp from the GC.

Edited by thekittenkat

Faint citrus and gin - nice. After 30 minutes, this had completely disappeared from my skin. Poof! All gone.

Golden Wave is a cheerful, uncomplicated summer blend. On my skin, I get mostly tangerine and guava, although I can perceive the passion fruit when I tell myself that it's there. I don't get a boozy feel from this blend at all, which is good since the gin element was the one ingredient that made me hesitate to buy this blend. There is definitely a sparkly, effervescent quality from the "tonic." The blend is very tangy with little sweetness on my skin. I'm grateful for that because, even though I've enjoyed the other Luau blends that I've tried, I found most of them a little too candy-like. Golden Wave smells as advertised - like a tall, refreshing tropical drink. I'm glad that I had the chance to buy a bottle before the Atomic Luau series was discontinued.

Four out of five stars.