Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Jamaican rum, almond liquor, orange water, sugar syrup, lime peel, black cherry, vodka, and mint.

Te Po was a big ole question mark... but I had to buy three Tiki Bar scents (my own weird quirk on buying BPAL scents in odd numbers) and this was what fell into my basket.

Almond is really hit or miss for me. Mostly miss. This is very pleasant. So that's a relief.

I'd also fretted about Black Cherry being TOO Cherry Cola or something. It's there but it just smells fun and youthful.

The Mint and Lime Peel play nice back-up to the Booze and Almond.

Oh, the Sugar Syrup doesn't seem to make this all that sweet. I think it blends with the Black Cherry for the slight Dr. Pepper effect.

Put the Lime in the Coconut and drink it all up! :P

On to Upa Upa... Edited by quantum spice

bottle: almods and cherries, kinda fizzy.

wet: lime and cherry and vodka! this smells very similar to the hamptons at first, but then the almond makes it a bit more warm.

dry: i get a lot more lime and mint once this dries, and almost a spicy scent. this is really nice on me, a nice summer date scent.

If Starburst candies were fizzy, they would smell like Te Po. :P

Fruity and sparkling, I'd almost rather put it on ice than wear it!

Bottle: Cherry and mint

Wet: Cherry coke with a sprig of mint and liquor in it.

Drydown: A very fresh drink, but not my type.

2.5 outta 5

Sparkly, is what I get. Very almond-y, that fizzy/cyanide-y topnote. The lime and cherry make this smell very close to a cherry cola. Dries down to a faint, slightly sugary almond after-aroma.

It's nice. I dunno if I'll get another bottle though. Very light.

In the bottle it smells like the doctor's office and i'm thinking noooo...

On I get almond and something else that could be lime and/or vodka, but it mellows out and sweetens a little. Oh there's the orange water, mint isn't really there except for a chill in the air.

I'm not sure if I like it. Right now i'm not a huge fan but at least i'm not running to the shower.

It reminds me of something but I can't touch it. Oh! What's this? A little spice in there? Cardamom?

Hmm maybe I like it after all.

Nope. Had to wash it off. The vodka makes me queasy... crap. Well I guess it will make a nice gift for someone some time down the road.

*sits at the Lounge bar looking uncertainly at the menu*

*grabs a random drink scent*

I got all of the Bar scent decants without trying to figure out which would likely appeal to me most; I just want some summery fruity Tiki goodness! Te Po actually makes me smile, though--it TRULY smells like a drink I would order! Sort of like an amaretto sour--lime and booze and sweetness. I can almost smell the little paper umbrella. :P It sounds odd to say it smells "witty" but it does--it captures the fun theme so perfectly.

This is amazing! I truly didn't think I'd like Te Po this much, but I do! Fizzy with an amazing mix of different notes. Sweet, a bit fruity, a bit spicy = wonderfulness. It reminds me (and my bf!) very strongly of a car refresher we once bought and loved (we don't own a car :P but we liked the scent so much that we ended up buying it anyway, plus it featured a very cute cartoon deer) so I'm happy!

In the imp and immediately upon application, Te Po is ALLLLLLL alcohol. I can pick out the rum and vodka (I intensely dislike vodka smells but was hoping it was a minor note here). I also get distinctive orange and cherry notes after a few minutes.

It is definitely fizzy and somewhat sour.

This smells on me how I imagine the taste would be like if you took an Alka Seltzer and held it between your teeth while downing a concoction made up by a truly sadistic bartender of cherry coke, orange crush, rum, and vodka.

Gives me a headache, and is definitely NOT my thing! I normally like everything in here except the vodka, but this was just too much for me.

Oh, man, words cannot express how much I love this one. All of the notes listed just kind of dance around in a fizzy dizzy wonderfulness that I wish was an actual drink. I think my favorite part is the black cherry. No, wait, the almond liquor. No, wait, the rum. That's one of the best things about this one: Everything shifts around and is wonderful in its own turn, but then things overlap and become even more awesome, kind of like a kaleidoscope. And as it has warmed on my skin for a while, it just gets better (the mint makes my skin a wee bit tingly where I applied it, but in a good way). Another second (at least) bottle oil for sure! This might even be my official film festival scent, although I still have five more Luaus to try before I will know for sure.

Of course, when I had a coworker sniff this, she made a disgusted "Eww!" noise and face like I had shoved her face in dog crap because it's not All Floral All the Time, as she believes perfumes need to be. I'm very glad the Lab does not agree with her (most florals are a one-way ticket to Headacheville for me), and the fact that she doesn't like this scent -- not even as a hypothetical drink -- just reminds me once again that she and I live in completely different worlds.

First applied, I smell the sweet rum right away and I like it very much. But then, it disappears and the vodka appears. I don't like the taste of vodka and apparently, I don't like the smell of it either.

There was a brief whiff of mint that lasted a few seconds and I never did catch it again. I do pick up a spiciness after 20 minutes or so that I do like and the rum notes reappear and stay. It seems that my body chemistry amps the spice, almond and rum, and discard the rest. This is fine with me, it does smell light and fresh and I think another bottle is in order. This is a perfect summer scent.

Edited by GoldenRubee

At first: A sweet, topical cocktail with a fizzy feel to it.

On: Wow...this smells like a very fizzy mojito on my skin.

1 hour later: Mostly a bit of lime and some sugar, but still with that nice, light fizziness.

2 hours later: Fizzy ginger ale.

3 hours later: Tons of fizz.

Overall: After this dries, it reminds me a lot of 21. I really like it when I first put it on, though, so I might try to use this in my scent locket.

In the imp, this was all black cherry and almond -- and distinctly black cherry, too, not maraschino or Bing. I love how Beth can get the exact scent of something (her apple scents are particularly good this way, I think -- you can easily tell the red apples from the green just by sniffing).

Wet on my skin, the almond takes over (as it always does on me), but as it dries it recedes and leaves the cherry dominant. At this point it's definitely a cherry Coke scent on me, which I don't mind.

However -- as drydown continues, the cherries get kicked out of the way by a massive invasion of lime, which sets up shop and never leaves. By an hour after I've put it on, this has become all lime, all the time.

An interesting scent, but not right for me...

In the imp: Cherry Limeade, yes please!

Wet: A combination of steak sauce and 21

Drydown: spice and 21

Dry: Indistinct not-unpleasant scent.

I bought it for curiosity's sake, so I'm not devastated by my results. Mildly annoyed with my skin though, WHY does it take pretty things like almond, orange, black cherry, and mint and turn them into STEAK SAUCE?! I'm usually so good with almond scents, too.

Jailbait's Hawaiian vacation! Fruity lollipop candy, a little booziness, and something that smells like bubble gum. Ooh, I frankly LOVE this. Yum! Pure fun in a bottle.

In the bottle, Te Po was boozy, yummy, oh I need this drink now!

As it dried, I got cherry cola, very fizzy. And as it dried, I got clove, or at least what I recognize as clove. Where did that come from?

Dry, all clove. All the time. With a little fizz. Sadly, not for me.

Almond & Vodka, that's all I'm getting in Te Po! It's got a great fizzy feel to it, but overall way too boozy for me.

I always worry with the boozy notes, and this one confirmed my doubts. I suspect that without the almond liquor this could work for me, but as it is, it doesn't :P

A total surprise hit for me; I love the way Te Po smells, when it's dry on my skin, like tropical Fruitcake! Though a lot of the fruitiness disappears once it's really settled, which would be a bummer were it not so deeelishus anyway. Here's what I wrote while I tested and sniffed and waited for it to dry...

Cherry-almond INSANITY, in the bottle. Sticky and strong! But now I'm getting a fizzy lime-cherry kick that I absolutely LOVE. Mint creeps 'round the edges, giving the sugar and fruits a grownup edge; every so often a hit of almond and booze almost burns my nose. How does it smell fizzy? I don't understand, but it's fantastic.

It's getting more well-rounded as it dries, the spiced rum and a bit of citrus calming down the crazy fizzies, turning it into a playful cousin to something like Port-au-Prince — one wearing a big Carmen Miranda hat. Tiny hint of something gingerbready, too. So much variation, so much deliciousness. Loads of clove (I think) and related things coming out of the rum. I want to stick a wand cap in this and wear it ALL the TIME.

Edited by bookandbroom

Te Po-

In Bottle: Almond, and a little booze, and a bit of Dr. Pepper! Not so much as is in Love's Philosophy, but it's there.

Wet: Almond and lime, and a little cherry and lots of booze. Very sweet and fruity.

Dry: Spicy, and lime dominates, and the almond and cherry stick around and the booze is the second most dominant note after the lime. It's a yummy boozy scent.

Overall: Nicely spicy and boozy.

In the Bottle: Pretty! Almond and ??

Wet: Still almond - yay! I hope it lasts.

Drydown: This has a bit of throw, for now anyway. It's starting to morph, the alcohol is coming out. The almond disappears. *sniffle* When all is said and done, I'm left with spicy alcohol, no fruit. Not exactly what I was hoping for :P

In the bottle: Rum, almond liquor, cola, cherry. I totally get the cherry coke thing others have mentioned. Sweet and strong and boozy, but oddly sparkling.

Wet: Almond extract and sparkling cherry coke. Totally. Maybe a hint of citrus (both lime and orange), but this is fairly dark and syrupy. I'm not getting any vodka or mint.

Dry: Whoa ginger, like crazy. Still strong on the almond, rum, and cherry coke. A bit sweet, but more spicy-foody now. No more citrus notes.

Summary: Spicy-hot gingered, sparkling cherry coke with almond and rum notes. It loses most of its sweetness, but is too much spice for me, and still on the foody side.

imp: marascino cherry

wet: like a Shirley Temple with mint and a bit of almond

dry: ahhhhhhhhhh!

Whoa! I don't know which note is the culprit, but this start to smell so so bad once it dries down. Yikes!

In a word, Te Po= effervescent.

In the bottle, I was freaked out because it had a very strong boozy smell. On the skin it calms down immediately. I'm reminded of 7-up with a ginger-lime-cherry twist. The almond gives it some warmth--I think it would be very chilly without it. My mom loves this one!

The vodka made me nervous, but I couldn't smell it, so Te Po is a hit. The almond reminds me of almond biscotti, and the cherry is a very pink frou-frou maraschino. The citrus notes keep it from being too sweet. This smells more like a virgin cocktail than something with actual alcohol in it. I'm quite pleased that most of the Tikis are so fruity and fresh without making me smell like a bar!

My only bitch about Te Po is that my wrists look a little irritated this morning from where I put it on last night--the cherry, perhaps? I'll have to be careful with it in future.