Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Golden rum, apricot liquor, pineapple, pomegranate, ginger, brandy, grapefruit, and pink lime.

Wow. Almost immediately this turned into apricot central on my skin - ripe, dripping, fermenting apricots...fresh new apricot skin...and even some dried apricots scattered about. And under all that, a kind of fizziness.
I like it, but I won't be slathering this one. A little goes a long, long way.
If you prefer apricot notes to peaches, this is the one to try - there's no mistaking it.

Eventually it dried down to a sweet, fruity fizz, like Yerevan and soda. My skin loves fruity scents, so this was a fun ride & I'm glad I got a bottle.

imp: citrus and carmel

wet: grapefruit bubblegum!

dry: spicy citrus candles

I liked this one a lot but it got funktified by my skin.

For the record I have the worst history with grapefruit but I always insist on trying whatever comes out.

So, initially nothing but grapefruit and then possibly a bit of the apricot liquor and pineapple.

Drying down I'm getting the rum/ginger and what I think is brandy. I've never been near brandy in my life but this is exactly what I think it would smell like.

Dry basically just the apricot and later just the brandy, very faint. None of the Tikis seems to be very long lasting on me.

I was wary to try this-- I think I thought the rum would turn it into a sticky sweet mess like it had in Rangoon Riptide. Fear not! It is gorgeous. Me need bottle!

Zesty, bubbly, gingery, and fresh lime burst out immediately on my skin. The apricot makes it juicy and curvy in all the right places. It's warm and bubbly cool at the same time. It is the most refreshing thing I have ever worn.

Oh, so this one was really strange. It starts in the imp with this really well rounded fruit, sharp citrus from the grapefruit and lime is predominant, but the apricot and pomegranate are filling it out and making it sweeter. The ginger permeate the whole blend. As far as booze-y notes go, they aren't apparent, but I guess you could argue for their presence. There's definitely SOMETHING alcoholic, but not on its own. It's kind of like some of the sweet fruits themselves fermented a little, but aren't intentionally being made into alcohol.

As Screeching Parrot progresses, the ginger CLEARLY takes over. It becomes an herbal-spicy, kinda earthy because of that, like ginger tea. There's still some fermented sweetness, but it's definitely playing the supporting role.

This was so NOT anything I was expecting it to be. Sophisticated, which anything Tiki shouldn't be, and cool, which anything tropical shouldn't be. It's a foody-spicy quite unlike anything I've tried so far from BPAL. I kinda want a bottle!

Sparkly grapefruit punch! I have mixed luck with grapefruit; it sometimes really irritates my skin. But I wanted to try this just because it sounded so nice. Since it's nearly pure grapefruit on me I'm steering clear of a whole bottle, but it is very nice and tart and sunny. Not much throw and fades quickly.

This is probably my favorite of the Tiki drinks. That apricot liquer mixed with the rum, brandy and ginger is a real winner for me. I hate fruity scents but something about the way these tiki drinks were blended made them completely wonderful with my chemistry.

Screeching Parrot is super sweet and sensational. Fizzy, fruity and so much fun.

I expected this to smell juicy, but Screeching Parrot is surprisingly dry, tart, and flat on my skin.

First on, the grapefruit and pink lime combine to make a zingy, tart, pink grapefruit scent. I like this beginning stage, but then something strange happens with the Parrot. In the drydown, all I smell are very dry apricots (sticky-sweet, dried apricots) and, for a while, something like stale cigarette smoke. After an hour, this has almost entirely faded, just leaving behind a hint of bitter pomegranate.

I love the label for this blend, but the scent doesn't work on my skin.

This is my favorite from the lounge. The rum scent isn't heavy at all and it smells so fresh and summery and just like something I'd get really drunk on.

It's got a lot of the apricot with nice touches of grapefruit and lime. Sadly, not a lot of ginger.

It's nice, light, and fruity without too much sticky sweetness. Doesn't last too long though, which is such a bummer.

Wow, this is a SHARP boozy one, very heavy on the alcohol note; at least when it's first applied. It reminds me very much of a strong fuzzy navel, when you are lucky enough to get one that is mixed strongly. There is a very bright citrus feel to this; and I mainly smell apricot and grapefruit.

On the dry down, the booze note does relax a bit, and the apricot takes center stage. This one is just a little TOO boozy for me. I'd be afraid if I wore this to work, everyone would think I'd been hitting the bottle in the morning!! Nice idea, but doesn't quite work for me.

straight sniff from imp is apricot brandy~

once applied grapefruit, lime and rum make this a mouthwatering sensation...

absolutely sensational with great throw...i had to have a big bottle of this

fun-loving scent!!!

Wet: Spicy spicy boozy rum.

On a few minutes: Sharp citrus. The grapefruit is desperately trying to go cleaning solution, but it's being kept in check. Sorta.

As it dries, the pineapple is coming out more. It's settling into a spicy sweet fruity scent. This'll be perfect for summer. :P

Oh man, this went way way caramel heavy. It was a lush tropical scent, with a heavy caramel overtone that seemed to dominate.

Not my style. At all.

At first this one is a very true, sharp citrus on my skin. I definitely smell grapefruit, and it is juicy and refreshing. :P

As it dries, the apricot really comes out and sweetens up the blend. It becomes more of an apricot scent as time goes on, the other notes seem to blend together behind it. I am reminded a little bit of Grand Guignol b/c of the brandy note, but this is a bit sweeter and also more complex b/c of the other fruits. I wish this one lasted longer on my skin, b/c I really love it, however I certainly don't mind reapplying!

Edited by euterpe414

This one is a multi test item for me. It's not my favorite of the Tikis but it was really interesting to test this boozy concoction.

It's definitely fermenting apricots or pineapple. Very fruity and distinct. The dry down boozy fermenting note gets stronger. Like sticky syrup.

Isn't it amazing what different responses people are having to this one? Reading through the reviews you'd think almost everyone was talking about a different scent. I've worn Screeching Parrot for the past three days trying to get a handle on it to write a review. From the first time I tested it I knew I liked this one but I just wasn't sure how I could describe it. Then an image came to me...

Screeching Parrot starts out sharp and fruity on me. At this point this is a woman with too much makeup and badly teased hair. She's had too much to drink but she's still beautiful if somehow a little bit tragic. She rushes out of the bottle at me, her bright lime eyeshadow and dark apricot blush coming on strong and just a little bit angry. Luckily her anger is a fast flash, she slaps me across the face but then her face breaks and she's appalled that she hit me leaving me with just a hot lingering ginger sting that is somewhere between pleasure and pain. The booze is softening her, sliding in slick with appricot nectar and sticky pineapple juice to soothe and numb the sting. The screech is becoming a song now, softening and bringing out the true beauty as she wipes away her garish makeup and steps into the shower. She steps out wet and fresh and all her edges have softened. Amazingly enough she's actually stunning, soft, strong and so gorgeously warm. She's got a hint of an exotic edge with her soft fruits but she's grounded by a gorgeous round ginger citrus blend.

This is by far the best BPAL ginger scent on my skin and I've tried just about all of them. I'm not a multiple bottle person...there's always another scent I'll fall in love with, but this is making me seriously consider the hoarding lifestyle!

In the vial - Tangy and full of citrus notes. It's exotic, juicy and very summery.

Wet on the skin - A lovely, bright blend that makes my mouth water. It's sharp without being harsh. Although the grapefruit is the most dominant note, there's enough pomegranate and apricot to sweeten the blend.

Next stages - A few minutes into wear, a sweet and spicy undertone of ginger emerges.

Dry down - This will be lovely to wear on a hot day. The fruit remains bright and tart, never becoming either sour or cloying.

Similar scents - Fire Pig, Grand Guignol

On me, Screeching Parrot is pineapple with some pomegranate with a hint of the apricot liquor. It's nice and I'm hoping it'll age into something gorgeous.

In vial: odd! I can make out apricot and citrus but it's kind of muddled.

Wet on skin: brandy, rum, ginger and citrus. Smells like something to drink rather than something to wear, but then so do most of the Tikis, and I guess that's the fun of them!

Dry on skin: this one is loads of fun! With brandy, rum, ginger and citrus fruits, it smells almost Christmassy, but still tropical and bright.

In less than an hour the top notes fade and I'm left with a soft, spicy brandy/rum, which is pleasant, but not as good as the earlier phase.

SCREECHING PARROT

In Bottle: Sweet and tart

On Skin: Now this is my dream tropical drink! Yum!!! It has my favorites, rum, apricot, pineapple and pomegranate. All smell very true to their notes and make this delicious sweet fruity and festive! I want a huge glass full! The grapefruit then kicks in and gives a sour bitter contrast, and the lime is super tart and slices right through! The brandy adds to the warm booziness and makes it even more divine. And underneathe it all, a nice spike of ginger that gives just the right amount of spice. This scent is tropical beverage all the way, it’s not shy and it’s totally in your face. This to me is the ultimate Tiki Bar scent. Now… not sure I want to smell like a drink, but wow it sure does smell tasty! Strong throw and average wearlength.

Screeching Parrot

In the imp: lots and lots of grapefruit, even more grapefruity than other grapefruit BPALs.

Wet on skin: pungent grapefruit, ginger and a bit of booze.

Dry on skin: not bad, but whoa, that’s some scary grapefruit! It’s a bitter, sour citrus, not the sweet grapefruit from Cheshire Moon and Schrodinger’s Cat, but a much more intense yuzu-like one. I don’t smell much of the lime because the grapefruit is too powerful. I do smell some candied ginger, a dash of various booze notes too. No pomegranate or apricot yet.

After a while: the grapefruit finally dies down a bit, and now it’s pretty much all ginger and booze. I can smell rum and brandy, just a bit. But still not the sweet apricot I was expecting…I don’t actually smell apricot here at all. And unfortunately, the ginger is starting to smell a bit savoury. It’s a fresh ginger, juicily spicy and piquant, like sniffing a cut root of ginger, but it smells too much like something I’d smell in my dinner, not in a cocktail. It’s turning too savoury on me. I do smell the barest hint of pomegranate now, but it’s not as obvious as I hoped it would be.

The scent stays as pure savoury ginger now, with very little in the way of other notes. Not even the booze notes come out now, it’s all ginger. Not bad, but I prefer the sweeter gingers.

Verdict: it’s a shame this didn’t work…all I got was screeching grapefruit! Really loud and overwhelming, not a gentle grapefruit with sweetness which I love. It lasted a good long time and then the ginger comes in, again, not my kind of ginger. It smells almost like something from a curry here, too savoury. I don’t get any apricot. Hardly any pomegranate and even the booze doesn’t show up much, grapefruit and ginger are too much in charge. Shame, because this scent has a beautiful label!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? No.

If you like this, try: Night Gaunt, Aizen Myoo, Hungry Ghost Moon, Croquet, The Hamptons

In the bottle – The sweet then bitter scent of the grapefruit is the primary scent

Wet on me – Again the grapefruit remains dominant, with a very clean soft scent behind it

Dry on me –Soft sweet grapefruit

Overall – A clean crisp grapefruit blend. Nice but no what I expected

I wish I could drink this scent...in the bottle, I get a delightful pineapple juice and apricot liqueur cocktail with hints of pomegranate, bright citrus, and ginger. Wet on my skin, it's all apricot liqueur, brandy and ginger. The whole thing is warm, tropical, and rather sexy in a boozed-up kind of way. Once dry, it's mostly warm, spicy booze like tropical rum.

This lasted for a decent length of time, and had enough throw so that while holding a conversation with someone I could see them thinking about what could possibly smell like liquor--probably not a good At Work scent.

I'm glad I snagged a bottle of this last-minute and really wish I'd stocked up on more of the tikis--I've had nothing but good experiences so far!

I get sweet rich guava juice from this one, which I did drink when I lived in Hawaii. A nice memory but I'm not sure I want to smell like it.