Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A crisp, pale, almost translucent rose dusted by moonflower and midnight dew.

Wow.

This is what I thought Rose Red would smell like...on me RR is VERY green, and I can barely catch a glimpse of the rose behind SHARP greenery...this is ROSE.

To me, fresh cut rose. I know there is more going on it here...something to keep it clean and stop it from going powdery, but I'm not sure what....

And I find it to be confident and womanly, vs. girly. One word: true.

If I ever get another rose perfume, this will be it.

Wet, this smells of a very light but intense floral. It’s not really striking me as rose, but I can’t identify what else it might be (beyond the “moonflower” listed in the description, which I’m unfamiliar with). It’s definitely wet and “dewy”, not powdery in the least.

Once on my wrist, it strikes me as a very classy, feminine perfume. Something in the blend makes me think of Anais Anais (which to me also smells like Hamadryad once it’s completely dry and has settled into the skin) with rose oil added to it.

Moon Rose isn't too strong a scent – I can only really smell it when I sniff directly from my wrist – but given the blend’s intensity, I think it makes it more appealing to me as it would probably turn cloying or be overtly floral if it was heavier.

Overall, I enjoy it. It’s not the traditional kind of scent that I’d pick out for myself, but it may make an appearance from time to time. Though I think the rose might be trying to turn soapy the longer I sit with it (crosses fingers that it's just my nose being tired from all the sniffing!). Still, it’s clean and pleasant enough to keep around.

I'm strongly drawn to the moon, and I love Beth's rose scents, so this was one I was very excited to try. The name and description are absolutely dead-on -- it's a very light, pale scent. The moonflower (which I recognize from Midnight and Chiroptera) tempers the rose into a very soft feminine scent. I've been wearing this whenever I want a perfume that smells sophisticated and feminine, and it's becoming a favorite. It has very good staying power, too, without being too overwhelming.

I think I need a bottle of this. Yes.

Moon Rose is a pale pink rose covered in dew drops. Sweet and delicate. Reminds me of my nana's garden. Goes a little bubbly bath soapy on me which is kind of nice, but I prefer a little more with my rose...Beth's Spellbound with its gorgeous insence musk and amber is still my favourite BPAL Rose and one of my favourite BPALs.

wow. i was very surprised by this one; i didn't think i'd like it, due to a small phobia of rose scents (you can chalk that one up to victoria's secret's "her majesty's rose garden"), but wow. total love. :P

it's not overwhelmingly rose, but it's still there. and it's sweet and floral and smells expensive as hell, but without the powdery-ness that i associate with most floral perfumes.

this is definitely a special occasion perfume for me.

In the bottle- rose, with something lurking in the background.

Wet- this one does strange things on my skin while wet. It's still predominatly rose, but it's a salty slightly alchol tinged rose.

Dry down- fortunatly it dries down really pretty on me. The moonflower really enhances the rose nicely, though rose is mainly what I smell. The other notes just enhance it's lovelyness. It envoke images of a dew covered rose shimering in the moonlight.

Dry- after a while something light and aquatic comes out, almost making it more of an aquatic scent than a rose scent. And then it all but disapears into a light powder.

Overall- while I really like this one, it's probably my least favorite rose blend so far. I really like my rose loud and in your face, which it is in the begining, but it dries down into a very understated gentle rose blend. I'm sure my imp will come in handy though for those times I want to smell rosey, but not a kapow kind of rosey. :P

Initial Sniff: Beth's description is dead-on to what I smell in the vial. Translucent, ethereal, pretty.

Wearing: ROSE! None of the soft dewiness remains.

Final Impressions: It doesn't matter how you shake it, I can't wear rose.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Rose soap.

In the imp/bottle: Frosty, fresh rose.

On skin, wet: Rose-scented soap! It actually reminds me of the Milk & Rose hand-soap my mum has at her house.

On skin, dry: No change from wet, other than it has a bit more of a powdery appeal to it.

Conclusion: A nice scent, but likely not something I'd want to wear. Might be grand as as a soap or candle, though.

Edited by Aredhel

I just don't understand rose.

Sometimes, it's perfection on me - true-to-life, vibrant. And sometimes it's just soap.

Moon Rose is mostly soap, which makes me want to cry. It's odd, though. I'm liking it a little. It did not go harsh and astringent - rather it was a biting clean flowery scent.

I think I will give this another go at a different TOM. Perhaps a shift in chemistry will amp up the flowers and tone down the detergent. Fingers crossed.

I don't like rose scents, but got this as a freebie and decided to review it anyway.

In the bottle and wet--acquatic rose, which seems suitable given the name and description.

On, same--a rose in water, if that makes any sense. its not too strong, and has a nice, true rose scent.

It has a lot of throw--I kept smelling rose on me.

Which I didn't particularly like in the end--just because except for on the plants themselves, I don't much like rose.

Its not at all a perfumy rose though, which is nice.

Back into the swap pile it goes, though.

a delicate, feminine, powdery rose. very light and faint. for times when you want just a touch of fragrance, nothing overpowering.

This was gifted to me from a dear friend who completely enabled me into BPAL. :D

Even after all the oils I've tried & ordered I still reach for this one. On me it's a beautiful fresh tea rose, kissed with dew. Slightly sweet, slightly aquatic, but 98% rose rose rose. I can wear it every day love it anew every day.

To me, it reminds me of spending time with my dad when I was growing up... trimming the rose bushes and placing beautiful fresh cut blooms around the house. *sigh* :P

This was a generous Lab gift, and in the imp it smells so pretty that I thought it might defeat my skepticism about rose-heavy scents.

Alas, it was not to be. I dabbed on a teeny bit (I'm usually a slatherer) and it became quite overpowering within about a minute. I'm sure a rose-lover would adore this, as it IS very pretty... but not my thing. It's verging on headache-inducing for me, so off to the swaps it goes.

This is very fresh and clear, not overpowering. The description is right on, however...I think this is not for me...maybe home fragrance. I dunno- I like it a lot I just don't see myself wearing it. But glad I got to try it.

This is a pale, delicate floral. Very cool and ethereal. I imagine white flowers glowing in the moonlight. Moon rose is lovely, and one of the few florals that come to mind when I think of my favorite BPAL oils.

In bottle: Delicate rose. It's a pure rose scent, but it isn't a strong one. It's like the ghost of a rose petal; the memory of the flower bouquet you held on your wedding day. Fresh and beautiful. The best way I can think to describe it is as a silver rose, but please don't make the mistake of thinking that means the fragrance is metallic, because it most certainly is not.

On me: Unlike richer, heartier roses, this does not turn and do strange things on me. It remains that same ethreal blossom, blooming in the light of a full moon.

The rose here is a heavy, classic, perfumey sort that makes my throat feel a bit tight (like I want to cough) when I smell this.

That said, this is still pretty, even if it is a bit overpowering on me. On me it goes from being a soapy rose to a very sweet rose. It switches between those two elements every few minutes. Soap-rose, sugar-rose, soap-rose, sugar-rose... The sugar-rose stage is very nice on me and doesn't bother me so much. Like a lovely blooming flower dusted in powdered sugar.

Edited by Little Bird

I don't tend to like floral scents. They really aren't my cup of tea and when I do like the scent the notes tend to become amped up to an overpowering degree.

This blend, however, knocks my socks off. It is, simply, divine.

This really does seem like nighttime in a bottle. I smell rose, but it isn't thick, cloying, or dusty. It's light, dewey, and beautiful. This blend is honestly quite enchanting. :P

After a few hours it fades to something almost powdery, but powdery in a good way (not like baby powder).

ADDED Aug. 24:

In the vial: I smell nighttime! (Hee! I hadn't peeked at the lab description yet. Although the "moon" in the title probably should have tipped me off.) I can't describe it, it just smells like night, whatever that is.

Wet: Rose! Very faint, and almost wet. Dewey rose.

Drying/Dry: Damn. This is enchanting. I wasn't expecting to be so overwhelmed by this scent. Roses aren't something I generally like, but this scent is beautiful. :D

I admit, I was suckered by the name and description. So romantic.

Wet, this was ROSE ROSE ROSE ROSE ROSE, oh and rose. Did I mention the rose? I think I might have put too much on; a tiny dab would be enough.

After an hour of the lovely but overwhelming rose overload, the rest of the notes come out to play, and this becomes a beautiful soft perfume.

I need to play a little with the amount, but this was a big hit.

Bottle (Imp): Smells like roses.

Just On: Still smells like roses. Let's see how long it takes my skin to ruin it.

An hour or two later: Wow, it's not soap yet, I'm amazed. Could this be? A rose scent that works on me? I'm still unsure, but so far, so good.

Around 6 hours: Rats, there's the soap. Not as much as I'm used to getting, but it's there. Stupid skin.

12 hours: Yup, my skin totally ruined yet another beautiful scent. It's all soap now.

Overall: Started out beautiful, and I almost got my hopes up. Luckily, I didn't get them too high, since my dumb skin ruined it.

After reading other reviews: Yep, it's a rose scent. Too bad my skin is so mean to flowers.

moonrose.jpg

This is one of the sweetest blends I have tried yet. If sweet is your thing, this is your perfume.

I think of it as a friend with a high squeaky baby voice who talks like a 3 yr old, spends all of her time on clothes and make-up (and perfume) HOWEVER is the most genuine kindly person you know. No matter how sweet Moon Rose is, it is never cloying, phony or silly.

In this blend I do smell roses, I could not identify moonflower or dew but I think I get some form of musk which might be what gives Moon rose her staying power. She is very sexy, and I hope she doesn't get you in trouble. :P

Easily one of my favorite scents. It didn't smell like just rose, it smelt like a ton of different kinds of roses, and dews and even carnations...on the moon.

I just loved it. I'm a sucker for rose scents and this one was just perfect. Lasts for quite a few hours too. 9/10

Absolutely one of the most gorgeous rose scents ever! I got a free imp from a dear friend and I am ever grateful. It is light, airy, clean and cool all at the same time. It is a perfect scent for when I want to feel "clean"- girly and young. Not a heavy, sexy scent IMHO. Another winner from the lab.

It's funny- when I've read that some people commonly get a powdery and/or soapy smell from rose, I can never relate. Except for this blend. I immediately got the smell of cold processed expensive rose soap. Once dry, it became extremely soapy and I had to wash it off with--you guessed it--soap. This is nice, but just not for me.

Edited by gravity_always_wins

Out of the imp, this smells like roses, delightful, ethereal, roses. I ordered this after finding out I love Rose Red. I picked out three of the rose blends and hoped to find something similar.

This one sadly didn't work out. On it goes soapy on me. I smell expensive rose soap, and nothing else. It was so beautiful in the imp and for the first few seconds too. :P

Skin chemistry, ugh!