Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Cheshire Moon

A lunatic's blend of lunar herbs and blossoms, with lemongrass, guava, pink grapefruit, banyan fruit, hibiscus, and cherry blossom.

I got a teeny empty of this frimped to me so my review may be a bit off but wow this was such a sweet citrus YUMMMMMM Ithink I am in love with guava. I need more thats for sure.

I never expected this to work on me, but oh my goodness it is brilliant, and one of my top ten for sure.

This starts out being pink candy floss in the bottle and wet on my skin (I didn't get any of the "vanilla cake" scent mentioned by other posters). It dries into a cherry-blossom sweetness with just a hint of guava. Normally my skin amps the heck out of grapefruit, but fortunately it doesn't here. This is sweet and gentle and 100% girl. I adore it.

I’m so glad that this blend works for me. I have a sweet spot for the Cheshire Cat and I would have been really sorry had its moon not worked for me.

The first thing I smell are sweet, tart fruits, a touch of cake, cream and soft florals.

The tone of this oil reminds me very strongly of Ecstasy of Infatuation, but perhaps a little more tart. It has that same gleeful, cheerful, bright, playful feeling.

As it wears the cherry blossom becomes a bit stronger but nicely so. The citrus and lemongrass remain just enough to keep a tartness to this blend and that creamy quality remains. The cake smell seems to disappear.

Everything in this blend is perfectly balanced. It’s not too fruity, the lemongrass doesn’t overwhelm (thank god) and the florals are kept in check. This is just gorgeous and so perfect for spring. Love it!

In the bottle: Sweet, less tangy than I thought it would be. I'm getting a creamy smell, and a fruit, but I'm not sure which one. Not as green as I expected.

On, wet: Ah, that's more like I expected. Greener, but still sweet. Juicy, like a lighter, softer version of Fire Pig.

Drying: A little bit soapy...uh oh. Not as bad as rose goes, though. It still reminds me of Fire Pig.

Dry: Nice, but a little bit more "floral" than I was haping for. Definitely soapy.

A few hours later: Soft, barely there. Creamier, which is nice. I might layer it with a tiny bit of Fire Pig to get the juicyness back.

Bottle: First of all, I just have to be a big geek and squee my ass off about how adorable this label is. I love it. Even if the interior smelled like wet dogs and pavement, I'd be like "SEE THIS LABEL? IT'S AMAZING!!!" Thankfully the oil smells more like... Mike Ikes. Opening a box of Mike Ikes and just sniffing the inside. It's nice but kind of scary.

Wet: GRAPEFRUIT! I'M SO GLAD TO SEE YOU TOO! Grapefruit loves me. Grapefruit, in fact, is the president of the PaperRose fan club (suck it, cedar). It mellows out a bit and the most delicious fruit scent is rising from my skin. I can't (every lunacy I say this, but ever lunacy I mean this) distinguigh between the notes, but they are amazingly beautiful.

Dry: Soft, citrusy scent with no dominating scent. Cheshire Moon is sweet, fruity and just... lovely. I get a hint of the guava and cherry blossom, but overall it's just a well blender, lovely, sexy, kind of funky (in the aesthetic, not olfactory sense) scent. Really, really beautiful and I am already staring in horror at my bottle estimating it's lifetime.

Throw: Very good, although sharper the further you get from my wrist.

Overall: Cheshire Moon, people, how could I not snap up a bottle? I have a sense it will put me in bad financial trouble, but it is amazing and I love it. Love, love, love, love it!

Cheshire Moon is lovely. Spring/summer in a bottle.... in fact, this scent has spurred me into making a bath or massage oil with drops of CM. There is a similarity to Victoria Secret's discontinued Secret Crush... a light but soft citrus and I get a melon-y note in it as well. Really really pretty.

In the imp: Buttery cake note (similar to Eat Me), and a touch of grapefruit.

On wet: Sweet, tangy grapefruit and...is that what guava smells like? Yum!

Drydown: If pink and yellow were scents, that's what I'd be smelling right now. Cherry blossom's edged out the fruit and taken over as the big star, all soft and pink and sweet like sugar water. There's a touch of something on the sidelines, though - just the barest hint of what I'm thinking is the grapefruit. It's muted - more like what I'd imagine the pith to smell like - less intense, softer, but retaining that grapefruity sharpness/bitterness.

Overall: Definitely a fun, girly scent that could be worn for any occasion. The original cake vibe never manifested on me (thankfully!), so a straight-up blend of sunny pinkness (sweet fruit and even sweeter cherry blossom) was what wafted around me most of the afternoon. Delightful! 4/5 :P

In the bottle, this is sweet and fruity - I've read reviews where they mention a certain cakiness, and I can definitely see that. There's the sweet fleshiness of the guava, the bite if the lemongrass, and the light floralness of hibiscus & cherry blossom - together, it's almost sugary.

On my skin, the grapefruit is not instantly identifiable, but I have a feeling that's what's behind this light, almost sharp top note that is really lifting this up and keeping it from being heavy. On my skin it's very light, and very well-rounded. The cake-ness is gone, and it's hard to pick out individual notes, but it's quite lovely.

When it dries, it's very soft, almost velvety, but also light - again, it's incredibly well-balanced; I can't pick out any individual notes at this point.

At first it smelled like a soft, almost creamy mint scent, and then the citrus in it kicked up and sweetened it up a lot. It still smells creamy to me -- like vanilla -- but with that super sweet fruity scent over the top. Sort of reminiscent of a Pink Sugar kind of scent. I don't smell herbs or lemongrass in it at all, which is a plus, for me.

Grapefruit is sort of a love it or hate it note for me, and in this one I love it. It smells clean and sparkly. Overall, the scent smells very pink to me, and very appropriate for springtime.

And now I'm kicking myself for not getting a bottle of it. I considered it fairly strongly at the time, but I just felt too broke to buy a bottle. :P But maybe I can hunt some down.

This is one of my favorites. The first time I tried it, vanilla was the first thing to come to mind. I came back and checked the description, and was a little surprised it didn't list it as one of the notes. But on second sniff - maybe it's not vanilla at all but that soft smudgy quality of vanilla that softens the edges of other scents. It's got a creamy quality, but doesn't smell like cream. It reminds me of glaceed fruits over ice cream, or a big puffy pink pillow.

I smell lemon blossom. Then lemon cake. Then lemon blossom again. It's all I get. Stupid Skin chemistry! :D This one is off to the swap bin for good measure. :P

Lovely. Lively. And Very Lemony.

I amp lemon, so Cheshire Moon smells mostly of lemongrass on me. I get hints of the other notes, but no more. I really like the smell of lemongrass, so I like Cheshire Moon, but its not as complicated as I was hoping.

In the bottle: Hello frosting!

Dry: The frosting quickly fades down to florals...then stays as an overpowering lemon/lemongrass scent. I don't get any grapefruit, which is a tad disappointing. Its throw and wear length is really good, but the strong lemongrass make Cheshire Moon something that I would have to be in the mood for. Say, perhaps, early spring.

I love the lab's citrus notes, especially grapefruit, so I was thrilled to pick up a decant of this scent even though I thought the citrus might be somewhat muted due to age.

In the vial: Grapefruit, soft lemon, guava and muted tropical florals

Wet on skin: This smells like Hawaii! I grew up on Oahu, and these notes, in combination with my skin, evoke memories of my childhood. It must be the the guava and the florals.

Dry on skin: The grapefruit and lemon recede somewhat, allowing the guava and florals to shine.

Cheshire Moon lasts 3-4 hours on me and has little throw. Once the scent mixes with the mild saltiness of my skin, it really does remind me of the smell of our backyard on Oahu. This is not a typical tropical scent--it represents to me the difference between living in Hawaii and visiting it as a tourist.

I love this and will try to find more.

In the bottle: Fruity and cheerful! Guava, mostly, with a bit of cherry blossom and something almost creamy - possibly the banyan fruit.

Wet: Mmmm... creamy guava, with a burst of pink grapefruit. The citrus is deep in the background, but it's like seeing flashes of bright, sparkling citrus through the foliage of a tropical rainforest. I keep getting fleeting whiffs of grapefruit and lemongrass. There's a bit of light, lovely cherry blossom as well, very understated.

Dry: This is a very tropical and sunny blend, full of sweet fruits and tropical blossoms. Lovely!

In the bottle and on, this is a most beautiful grapefruit citrus. This lasts for about 20 minutes and then goes all cloying floral on me. So sad.

Cheshire Moon is amazing in that it manages to be all of the following: very creamy, a little herbal, floral, slightly citrus, and tropical. All at the same time. For as long as it lasts on my skin. The tropical aspect is the strongest, but the creaminess is what keeps me coming back for sniffs. Lush, but not overpowering. The herbiness makes it a little weird, but it's also interesting. This review sucks because I'm not really going to describe the notes. I can't. It's just all of those things I mentioned above. And lovely. And unusual. We like lovely and unusual over here.

In The Bottle

Fresh and fruity

On Application

A general impression of herb, flowers and citrus

Dry Down

This is really light and fresh. I am not a big fan of lemongrass. It tends to smell kind of funky/sweaty to me and I can smell it lurking in the background of this scent, threatening to come to the surface. Kind of reminds me of Manila with less wood. Nice and would be great for summer

Rating (0-5)

Out of the bottle this is BAM! Citrus!

On my skin I smell grapefruit and lemongrass first with a faint background of delicate (not overpowering) florals.

Citrus is always something that's short lived on my skin so, as this begins to dry the floral notes take center stage. At this point, the citrus is only a soft whisper in the background. The fruit/floral combination in this is very nice! This is a nice floral blend for the girl who generally doesn't like floral scents. It's not headache-inducing or too strong. I'm really enjoying this one ^_^

The final drydown is a soft, pretty fruity floral. My skin has completley devoured the citrus leaving a sweet, fresh and pretty "pink" smelling perfume. This sticks close to the skin and makes me feel really girly. I can see myself wearing this in the summertime with a sundress...or now in the middle of winter to help me daydream of warmer days.

:wub2:

I loves me some fruity scents so...I had to try Cheshire moon! It's yum yum to say the least. When it's first applied it's very tangy and fruity, then very quickly goes creamy and soft. It's very very edible smelling. It's the Guava I'm pretty sure that I'm getting from this along with some other fruityness and cream. mmmmm!

I get no lemongrass from this at all which makes me happy because it usually sends blends squiffy on my skin but hurrah! This scent smells dainty and innocent and playful.

The drier stages see it change more, this is where it turns more herbal and a little more tangy. It's still nice and it holds on to that soft edge the whole time. This oil is a very unusual Lunar Oil for me, it's along the lines of Hungry Ghost Moon, or... Xanthe The Weeping Clown. It's a soft fruity oil that turns sharper as it dries.

LUBBLY JUBBLY!

This was kinda a surprise for me, because I really like how this turns on my skin. It's kinda a grapefruity bamboo citrus swanky scent, which was nice because the grapefruit in Cheshire cat didn't like me, which made me sad. This is my happy blend out of the Chinese new years scents because usually the components don't work very well on me. On this, it does. Hallelujah Cheshire moon!

I definitely get a strong cake note that smells exactly like angel food cake: light and sweet and not heavy or rich. A tart grapefruit note sits on top of the cake, not strong enough to overpower, but very easy to pick out. The florals - especially the cherry blossom - are what make this blend for me. They're so unexpected and perfect.

The poster above who said this smells pink and yellow nailed it.

Cheshire Moon

Citrus and flowers and ... sugar? This smells like the most wonderful fruit and cake dessert ever. And scented doll heads, in an awesome, "oh, I loved that doll!" way.

Wet: Yum! I hesitated with this one because of all the different fruits (not all fruits work on me) and the cake-reviews, but on wet, this is super promising, and I immediately knew I had a winner. Lemongrass and grapefruit, cheerful and citrusy, fused with tasty, borderline creamy tropical fruits and a bit of hibiscus. Delicious and fun!

Dry: On the dry down, the grapefruit softens up a bit, but lemongrass is one of the most long-lived citrus notes in my experience, and combined with the guava and whatever else is lurking in this scent, it turns to this great lemon flavored glaze/frosting scent, reminiscent of cookies I guess, but not cakey/buttery/battery at all... it has a candyish overtone, but it's subdued. Hints of light green herbs (nothing medicinal or savory) keep things appropriately kooky, and the clean, clean scent of cherry blossoms, almost powdery, somewhat silky, links up with the hibiscus and whatever other blossoms are hiding out in here for a lovely light floral aspect that balances out perfectly with the slightly creamy fruitiness. It lingers for hours as a soft and feminine perfume, young and cheerful, gourmand without being too overbearing about it.

Overall: I should have known this would be a total winner on me. I mean, pink grapefruit and cherry blossom? Come on. What I didn't expect was that all the other notes would blend together in such a pleasing way. This is very wearable. It's adorable, but interesting enough to set itself apart from other girly fruity-floral fragrances. Love it, love it, love it! :wub2:

I wasn't sure what this blend would turn out to be on my skin... it starts out as tart fruit with a dollop of fresh cream and winds up as... lemon creme frosting.

The lemon is mildly sweet and very creamy. It's OK but seems to be fading fairly quickly. I like it but I don't think I'll be wanting to do anything besides sniff it once in a while.