Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lilac, blue musk, dianthus, cedar, neroli, ozone, and luminous Eastern herbs.

Very lilac, which is what I was hoping for, I also get a lot of the cedar and herbs, it's a very pleasant smell. It doesn't last long on me (ie full shift of work) but I can see it being worn on a summer evening. There's something "sharp" in there that I think may be the ozone. It reminds me a lot of a perfume or something my grandmother wore when I was young. I made a dryer sheet with it and it smells great that way, so fresh! I bought it not only because I love Goethe but also because I love lilac, and boy oh boy do I get lilac! I just wish I was more of a floral person, as far as perfumes go. It's a very lovely smell, I just just wish it suited my skin chemistry. Edited by Shollin

I love lilacs...LOVE them. If I could live in a grove of them as they bloomed all year I would die of happiness. Naturally, I've been looking for a lilac scent, without too much success. Other notes tend to drown it out.

Night Thoughts comes the closest to true lilac as I've found so far. It starts off cedar and soapy lilac. The soapiness quickly disappears. This sits really close to the skin. I thought it was gone at first. Dry I can smell the ozone combined with the blue musk and herbs. They are really a distant backdrop. The cedar makes this a little dusty, like the bottle has been sitting on a curio shelf for a decade.

I definitely like this, but I needed to get past the soapy part first. It's really a pretty, subtle, ethereal scent.

Edited by Rheliwen

Night Thoughts – When I first sniff this, it smells like a flowery pencil shavings. When I first apply, the cedar is the dominant note, but it fades very quickly within the first 20 seconds or so, and the “luminous Eastern herbs” begin to dominate the scent, with a soft breeze of lilac immediately behind them. It’s a very herbal, but pleasant scent at this point. As the blend warms up on my skin, the cedar moves even further into the background, as do the herbs, and it becomes a soft, clear, ozony-floral with just the slightest hint of wood in the background. It’s really beautiful. It faded from my skin fairly quickly, but several hours later, I caught a whiff of it from the clothing I had on when I first applied, and it smelled even better on my clothes than I remembered it smelling on my skin. This is really a beautiful blend.

On me, Night Thoughts is just lilac over musk. The other notes may come out with age, but I'm very happy with how it is now.

When I first put this on, it seemed like I could smell the cedar best of all. As it was drying, the ozone peeked out, and then some rather faint herbs. Those notes are usually all quite dominant on my skin, but it smells like they're all blended together almost delicately. It's very interesting because "delicate and dominant" doesn't seem to be common for me at all with perfumes -- it's either one or the other. But these are swirling together very nicely.

To me, this definitely has a nighttime feel to it; it doesn't smell like a daytime perfume. I honestly can't pick out any floral notes, but there's a sweetness to it that must be from the florals.

For a while, this is absolutely beautiful. A soft, ethereal night time lilac scent. When first applied, there's that strong burst of lilac and green stem-like feel that's very reminiscent of Virahotkantita, but it quickly softens and doesn't stay as heady or as powerful. The blue musk, cedar and neroli all give a soft, dark feel to it, while the ozone gives it that fresher sparkling feel. It's a mature, classy perfume perfect for night wear.

Unfortunately after about half an hour it all just sort of fades into a simple 'herbal' scent that clings close to the wrist. Silly herbs. :P

in vial: sharp floral but not overly strong.

wet: a little milder but still pungent with out being strong. Smells a little mature. A nice neutral scent.

dry:this is a soft, nice scent.

had high hopes for this one, but it just didn't work for me at all.

it was a very dirty, herbal scent that faded to nothing almost immediately.

sad.

I've been stalking this oil for quite some time and I think I may have built it up in amy imagination a bit too much.. I'm surprised with how much cedar and herb is in this. A very dry and light blend on me. A little dusky from the musk and a slight sweetness from the lilac. Sticks close to the skin. Nice, but not the earth-shattering musk I was going for ;) I should just be grateful the lilac didn't go wonky!

Hrmmm, I was expecting to love this. And it would seem that I'm pretty indifferent to it. This goes kind of "perfume-y" on me. The lilac is definitely a standout here, and I get a flash of ozone on the inital application, but that seems to fade with wear. Throughout the drydown, the musk seems to come out more and the neroli, but the cedar doesn't really make an appearance. It turns into a predominantly floral blend on my skin, with just a hint of musk.

Woodsy, herbal and spicy florals. I thought the ozone would make this blend light and airy, but it is kinda heavy, very herbal and after the initial blast of woods and spice this turns straight into lilac musk.

:::NIGHT THOUGHTS:::

I received this one in the mail today via a handy-dandy swap and can scarcely contain the wagon-load of glee based on the notes that were listed!

As a late-bloomer to the Lab (Thank you, Schnanni!) there have been droves of blends that were just plain missed out on... When this one came up for grabs, the hesitation was nil!

From the opened bottle: There is a climactic groan and a slap-happy grin. The noggin slowly tick-tocks it's way to the safety of a pillow... Jeepers, this is good!

Night Thoughts are billowing, sateen draperies of cobalt, violet, and indigo...

The Lilacs, Orange Blossoms, and Carnations make for a startlingly ethereal boquet, especially when enhanced with the Blue Musk! What a treat!

Cedar is ordinarily assertive, bordering on overbearing... Here, it demures and compliments the whole of this formula spectacularly!

On the skin: oh, WOW... Here comes the Ozone! In this blend, however, it isn't as oceanic/precipitational as in other blends. Here, it works some magic with the spices and the Cedar that amalgamate with the boquet to make something akin to... Violets... A fistful of Violets crushed in the fist of a hyper, well-meaning suitor you might find standing outside your window, grinning foolishly in the rain.

There is so much splendor in Night Thoughts! This is very suggestive of the imagery used to represent the mind of a madman in the motion picture, "The Cell"... But much, much more sexy!

There is splendor and grandeur alike in this fragrance!

This could work in a unisex way, but the Lab's miracle with Lilacs and Violets almost always leans more toward him.

Marvelous!

5 out of 5!

Huh. Everyone's talking about cedar and lilacs. Not in MY bottle of Night Thoughts, you don't. I really thought that this was straight jasmine. It is a super sweet floral but it is not a sickly sweet. It's the night air jasmine that makes you want to plant a couple of trees so you can have a hammock to sleep outdoors. It did dry to a soft floral incense (OK, maybe I DO detect lilac. Sue me) that is just lovely.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't go by the ingredients. Cedar is my nemesis. And this time... I foiled you, accursed Cedar. HA!

ITB: Baby oil and lilacs. I'm not sure what combinations are giving me baby oil, but it's the first thing I smell.

Wet: Lilac, musk, cedar, with just a hint of neroli and herbs. It still smells a little bit like baby oil, but the floral scents are now dominant. I'm thankful the ozone isn't turning to cat pee on me.

Dry: Very floral. I get lilac with neroli and some herbs backing it up. Nice scent, but not amazing.

Edited by mymymai

(2013)

Wet: The freshest lilac ever. Dew-kissed and at the height of its bloom.

Drydown: A slightly softer lilac. Almost powdery - but in the good way. A bit of blue musk assumes the support position. Deep beneath the lilac bush is a pleasant woodsiness that adds complexity. It’s similar to Cordelia, but this is airier and more lilac-focused.

Dry: Bright, clean, sweet and soft. An absolutely beautiful lilac mist.

8 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

Ok, I preface this with.. I LOVE sweet sad contemplative smells. You put blue musk and lilac together in any combination and I'm bound to be dreaming about the scent constantly. When I saw the description for Night Thoughts I was squirming in my seat with joy. I'm giggling because I see many others were also hoping for a Silence replacement. :lol:

I would say its unique because it perfectly straddles the line between an atmospheric and a personal scent without teetering. I can't really draw any exact parallels.

Its a more gender-neutral Silence. Lilac is one of those amazing flowers both masculine and feminine scent lovers can swoon over. Light and hangs in a fog around the wearer. I agree with the previous poster about calling it a lilac mist. I could see this as a really cute match for foggy days wandering around cobblestone streets or sitting at a waters edge in darkness. Addition of the ozone, cedar, and eastern herbs cools and subdues the florals, halting any possibility of change to overt feminine sweetness.

I do like it though and it'll be on the "maybe a bottle" list for the time being.

Edited by SophieCedar

This is really lovely, it starts out quite strongly with the cedar which worried me because I amp wood notes and they don't really work on me. Luckily, the cedar faded making way for the lilac and blue musk, with a hint of jasmine. The lilac here is so pretty and realistic smelling, it is like walking through a garden at night time, or having the smell of lilac wafting through your window at night. This will probably be a night or sleep scent for me.

Imp: Lilac and perhaps the cedar.

Wet: Nothing but lilacs. I have such bittersweet memories of lilacs. They grew all over my great-grandmother's backyard and then my mother took a cutting from the bush and grew it in our backyard when I was growing up. Now that they're both gone, lilacs make me both happy and melancholy. This is a perfect scent in that regard. It makes me somewhat sad and contemplative.

Dry: Slightly musky lilacs. I find it ethereal and lovely. I don't know how often I would actually wear it, but I'd like a bottle just for the memories it conjures.

In the vial: a light, slightly powdery floral; a powdery lilac, dainty white flowers, and a pleasant sharpness from the ozone. This is quite pretty.

Wet on skin: ooh, this is very lovely. It's a cool white floral, "luminous" is just apt. This is in the same family as Enchanted Wood Florist and The Unicorn--the same light ethereal scent with a pleasant sweetness.

Dry: this doesn't change too much from the wet scent. It's a very, very lovely luminous scent, gentle soft flowers with a dusting of musk. The lilac is giving it that powdery feel which isn't altogether unpleasant here.

Verdict: when I bought the current decant, I had forgotten that I had the earlier version in my untested imp boxes. I tested that after this, since due to the notes being the same, the earlier version would be a clue to how this blend ages. I loved this newer one very much, while the earlier one is stronger on the lilac...which means a lot more powder on my skin, when dry. It had a slightly soapy feel to it as well. Because of this, I decided it would be a pass on me. Too bad.

Having high hopes for this, I am slightly worried about my result. I don't know what happened but this blend hates me. I will have to try it again one more time in a week or so to see if we will get along better later.

Decant, from ralenth's Lascivious Lupercalia decant circle. Preceded by Water Snake.

In the imp: The lilac and neroli stand out the most for me. It does have a cool, sharp underpinning; I imagine that's the cedar, ozone and herbs.

Wet: Again, largely the lilac and neroli hit the nose first. A few minutes in, the sharpness comes forward, then falls back - it's like a focusing lens, or like your eyes adjusting from the bright lights of the indoors to the dimmer light of moon. It reminds me of the feeling of sitting under a confederate jasmine arbor in early May, hearing crickets in the woods beyond the yard. It also reminds me of

Dry: I'm losing the florals. They're being overcome by the blue musk.

Later: The whole thing has fallen to powder.

Overall: I was suprised that I liked this; it was more floral than anything I've tried yet, but the sharp notes tempered the florals in the just the right way for me. However, my skin ate all of the parts I liked about it, leaving me with the most animal parts of the musk until even that powdered-out. Next wearing, I'll try different areas of the body and see how it reacts; following that, I'll see how it behaves in a scent locket.

Crushed stems and lilac, this is rather green when it's wet. It stays that way, cool and green with a backdrop of florals.

Not a lot of throw but it's a lovely and restful scent.

This scent has taken a very long time for me to get used to. On first sniff I remember that it was all fresh perfect lilacs and I thought it was amazing. Then the next time I tried it (my nose was all out of whack when I was first trying my lupers because I didn't really like any of them until they had settled for a week or two) I did not like it. Instead of beautiful fresh real lilacs I got a bunch of ozone freshness. (Which I was not fond of)

So this ended up getting shoved back behind my other bottles while they all got love for awhile, which really bummed me out. I have such fond memories of lilacs in my parents backyard, but I find that many lilac scents don't smell like the real thing to me. I just wanted this to smell fresh again like that first time!

Then I decided to put it on again today and I have loved the smell of it all day. Today it smells like fresh lilacs to me, and I don't think the sharpness of the other notes is overpowering it. I feel like I'm a kid playing in the backyard by the lilac bushes. I have found that settling has helped so many of my scents, most of all this one.

Edited by Franny

ITB: It's very floral in the bottle - lilac and dianthus with a touch of cedar.

Wet: It's a bit more green on my skin and reminds me in some way of Mandrake Charm a little bit, but as it dries, the blue musk and neroli make the scent much more enticing.

Dry: It dries to a lilac powder with a touch of musk, light herbs, and ozone. It reminds me of sweet whispering around twilight.

Right away I'm getting what I'm starting to recognize as the labs lilac note. I find it rather fake and perfumey and nothing like putting your nose in a fistful of fresh lilacs. Pretty much stays sharp and cologney. Not for me.