The Flower Song

THE FLOWER SONG
Unknown, Written during Egypt's New Kingdom
To hear your voice is pomegranate wine to me:
I draw life from hearing it.
Could I see you with every glance,
It would be better for me
Than to eat or to drink.

Pomegranate wine, lotus root, river reeds, hyssop, and barley.

In the bottle: where is it, there's something in there?

Once on a river of scent flows out. Herbal, fruity, boozy.

Lotus Root can go bubblegum but I can't find it here.

Barley... I drink barley tea all the time. Can't find it here.

River reeds?

This has a rejuvenating effect on me. But then, pomegranate, wine and hyssop make for a happy Heavenlyrabbit.

sweet and floral. can't put my finger on the floral, it's a little earthy and not as aquatic as i'd hoped for somehow. there's also something in there that smells to me like "unscented" lip balm O_O kind of an odd scent that i wasn't expecting, guess you'll have to smell it yourself!

edit: this is an especially long lasting blend by the way, 5 hours later it's still going strong. impressive!

Edited by jolarocknrolla

I smell pomegranate and a light herbal quality in the bottle. As the oil dries, the pomegranate turns into a very, very sweet and juicy fragrance. It's almost overwhelming at first, but in time I do notice a touch of lotus root and river reeds. There's something floral in there, but again it's subtle in relation to the prominent pomegranate. I think the herbal quality I'm picking up on is due to the hyssop.

This has a very strong throw and a very long wear-length. It's sweet and juicy pomegranate above all else, but there is just enough of an herbal/floral/aquatic quality to round it out.

This is very unexpected. I expected more pomegranate. Instead it reminds me of the strong warm rice wine I had while in China. It doesn't have much throw- have to huff my wrist in order to smell it.

bottle: pomegranate wine is a good way to describe the first sniff. it's like a less tart version of fruit of paradise.

wet: sweet, spicy pomegranate with somethine woodsy/earthy... probably the reeds.

dry: dries to an even more woodsy pomegranate. it now reminds me more of the pomegranate in aquarius. nice.

In bottle/imp: Sweet, syrupy pomegranate wine.

Immediately on skin: This is a very sweet pomegranate scent… but it’s not just pomegranate, it’s a wine/pomegranate mix, of course. There’s a very nice creamy undertone that gives the pomegranate wine a nice base.

After a little while: Fruity, sweet pomegranate and wine. And by sweet, I mean candy-sweet. Like if they made pomegranate and wine candy, it would smell like this.

Overall Impressions: This is a nice but very sweet pomegranate wine blend. There’s a little hint of the other notes at first, but when it settled on my skin it was just super sweet pomegranate and wine candy. I tend to amp sweet when it comes to fruit and wine together, so it might have more complexity on someone else.

This was the first scent I tried and this is my first review!

The Flower Song is sweet sweet pomegranate in the bottle and on me. It smells much sweeter then pomegranate wine I've had. After it dries down it gets a little reedy and some herbal notes too but the pomegranate is still strong. I think I need some more experience before I can describe these notes better.

ETA: I put this on at 6:30am and I'm still catching whiffs of it 9hrs later.

Edited by ladysaphira

Something about this really does remind me of ancient Egypt. This is all fruity pomegranate wine on me without being overly boozy. The lotus adds a lot of sweetness but not in an overwhelming way. Anybody who loves the fruity blends will really like this one. It's gentle and soft and has an almost candy-like scent with barley as an undertone. Really lovely!

straight sniff from bottle is boozy pomegranate!! :P

once applied this stays nice and fruity with a little bit of a floral edge...

it gets sweeter as it wears with little boozy notes & slightly powdery...i have a feeling

this will get better as it ages which is what i intend to do~

Imp: Very sweet, sugary. A touch of something fruity, but very little.

Wet: Sugar and pomegranate. There's no wine or booze note at all. There's an undercurrent of something spicy, like Juicy Fruit gum, as my skin amps the lotus.

Drydown: Lotus sometimes has a tendency to turn to cat pee on me, but this doesn't. I never get any wine notes at all, nothing aquatic or herbal that suggest the river reeds or hyssop, nothing earthy or grainy for the barley. This is all lotus and pomegranate, all the time, and the combination of the two is beautiful. It clings close to my skin but lasts forever; ten hours after I applied the first test patch I could still smell it if I sniffed the back of my hand. I can't wait to try this in my scent locket; this is definitely going to be a multi-bottle purchase for me.

The Flower Song

In the decant: oh, this is gorgeous. Sweet pomegranate and lotus!

Wet on skin: now I smell barley water, and is that papyrus I smell here as well?

Dry: mmm, this is so beautiful! It’s hard to describe really, but I do smell pomegranate, barley and lotus with a definite undertone of golden papyrus-and as I love the smell of those papyrus paintings imported from Egypt, this is a good thing. The pomegranate is sweet and juicy and light but with a tart undertone, almost effervescent or candied but not cloying. I think it’s the lotus sweetening it up nicely. The barley, I must say, actually reminds me of sweet barley water, but without the fruit flavourings. Or maybe if Robinsons made pomegranate flavoured barley water, it would smell like this. It’s a grainy and soft sweetness, almost like oat milk.

After a while: for a scent that seems quiet at first, this now has a lot of throw! Now I smell more pomegranate, which now reminds me of Fruit of Paradise, but sweeter and without the spice. If Fruit of Paradise was red, this is pink! The barley’s grainy and golden scent is also stronger, and the scent is a little more wine-like at this point. Kind of like white wine with pomegranate. I still smell the reeds and lotus. It’s a lot drier in scent now and I see where the rice wine comparison comes from, that’s probably the barley giving that impression?

The scent then turns into a scent very much like the juicy pomegranate from Aquarius, but this is a scent of pomegranates scattered on sand…a mix of juicy sweet wetness and golden dryness.

The pom note lasts for a surprisingly long time, and it smells, at the end, like dry pomegranate seeds and a hint of reeds and grain.

Verdict: I love New Kingdom love poetry, the beautiful odes scribbled on shards of old pottery at Deir El Medina that are on a par with the great English poets that would come thousands of years later. So as an ardent Egyptophile I had to get this. And it is fantastic! It’s got that totally addictive pomegranate note that Beth’s been using a lot lately, similar to Aquarius and Fruit of Paradise. This makes me think of ancient Egyptian festivals, where pomegranate wine is served with a narcotic/aphrodisiac spike of lotus to make the party a little more exciting, if you get my drift. And there’d be lots of beer too, which the barley evokes, but thankfully the barley here doesn’t smell like beer at all! All in all, a wonderful pomegranate scent framed with sweet lotus and with dry golden notes of grainy barley and a hint of papyrus paper, possibly where an ancient romantic song would be written. Beautiful scent with a beautiful inspiration, this is my new favourite pomegranate scent and I need lots of bottles of this!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Of course!

If you like this, try: Fruit of Paradise, Aquarius 07, Madonna, Persephone, Mr Ibis, Meshkenet, Nefertiti

I've been huffing my wrist since I put this on trying to figure out what it reminds me of, and I finally placed it: March Hare, with pomegranate instead of apricot. (This is a good thing.) The barley has that same sort of pastry/bread effect that March Hare has to make this smell like a yummy pomegranate tart. It doesn't strike me as boozy or winey in any way, just foody and fruity and delicious. The staying power is a lot better than Fruit of Paradise, the last pom blend I tried.

Not something I'd wear often or want a bottle of but I'll enjoy my decant!

Wet, this was pure pomegramate wine on me, very similar to Swank. I like the scent of pomegranate, but it's not remarkable enough on its own to warrant wearing. As it dried, it stayed about 90% pomegranate, but I got a hint of something else - the barley? River reeds? I don't know, something kind of woodsy. It grounds the scent a bit and improves it, but it's still not really "me."

In the bottle: Delicious juicy pomegranate and a hint of bubblegum-sweet lotus.

Wet: Very similar, but the lotus has amped and is totally grape bubblegum. Herbal and woody notes very faintly in the background. Very sweet.

Dry: I can detect the barley note now, and it's nutty and a little waxy - really interesting! The other herbs and woods I can't pinpoint, as they are still very faint, but grounding. Sadly, the lotus is still being a bully.

Summary: The lotus calms down enough to allow the pomegranate - which has great lasting power, it's just hidden for a while - to emerge. It's sort of nutty-spicy-herbal too, with the barley distinct. Very sweet with the strong lotus. Good throw and lasting power.

Yeah, lotus does not work on me.

Finally, a Lupercalia scent I like. The pomegranate wine is lovely, a little tart, very sweet, not bitter like I thought it might be. I can't pick out any other individual notes, so the lotus does not go to bubblegum. This is very strong fresh out of the vial, but it settles down into a softer, tantalizing scent. It lasts for several hours. Unfortunately it reminds me too much of Fruit of Paradise to want a full bottle.

In the imp: all I could smell was grape juice, for some reason

On me: at first, the grape juice went away and I had a very rich, sweet fragrance, very much what I was hoping for from this blend. But after a couple of minutes it turns into very strong grape juice, and stays that way. Since I detest grape juice, I think I'll be finding a new home for this one!

The Flower Song: woo! Pomegranate, Pomegranate, POMEGRANATE! :P

I'm considering back-ups of this one. Sweet Pomegranate, with very little of anything else. It's almost exactly like Fruit of Paradise on me...except that I can actually wear this one on my skin and have it turn out lovely. (FoP is strictly a hair thing.)

out of the bottle, yum! pomegranate

wet, this is fruit of paradise with even more bittersweet tones. it's rounded out by the grains

dry, a charming light (not cloying) sweetness. just lovely - the reeds come out in the "after-smell"

Not what I expected!

In the bottle: Pomegranate and something a bit sour...

Wet: Nice! Pomegranate and floral...nothing sour.

Dry: I smell the pomegranate, but there's an earthy note, too, and a bit of floral. I may have to buy a bottle!

THE FLOWER SONG

In Bottle: Soft sugared candy

On Skin: Yum! The pomegranate is just slightly tart while the lotus amps a sugary sweetness. The sweetness is not bubblegum though luckily, because lotus almost always turns into pure bubblegum on me. It’s more of a soft powdered sugar. Very pink in tone, not overwhelmingly sweet, it smells like the fine powder left in a package of Sweetarts. After a few minutes, more of a floral tone sets in, though still very sweet. This is a more innocent version of Fruit of Paradise. FoP is very sexy and grown up to me, and also quite festive. The Flower Song is like a sweet treat, very mellow and softspoken. I really love it, and have decided pomegranate is the best fruit note on me next to plum. So beautiful!!! It has a light to medium throw and average to long wearlength.

In bottle: sickly sweet candied fruit. Wet: Still too sweet, but less cloying, thankfully. Surprisingly floral in effect. This is very woman’s perfume, overpoweringly so. Dry: An improvement. Some of the more delicate elements come out, but it’s still very sweet and fruity. Not my thing, so I’m glad I only got a decant.

On me, this is very sweet pomegranate. It smells candied somehow. Usually pomegranate turns very dry and smells like sweet tarts on my skin, but the pom wine seems to stay juicier and I amp up the sweetness in this. In the drydown, a bit of something earthy and slightly wooden starts to creep around behind the pom. I don't seem to like pomegranate in perfume-form and, while this is better than many of the pom scents I've tried before, Flower Song still isn't something that I feel like I can pull off wearing. Sticky-sweet, red fruitiness...

This scent needs more love.

It mostly stays true from decant to dry - sticky-juicy pomegranate candy. The tart almost-sourness is replaced by something... not so much creamy... but it reminds me of oatmeal. I'm guessing that's the barley? Average throw, long weartime.

I really like this for all its simplicity, and I regret not buying a bottle from the Lab when I had the chance.

In bottle: sticky hard candy

On skin: sweet pomegranate with a dash of woody almost-cinnamon spice

Half-hour later: candy-red sweetness with a bit of dusty earth

In conclusion: pomegranate is one of my favorite notes; it's sweet without being over-the-top fruity. The additional "dirt" appearing from the reeds and barley is a really nice match for the sweet pomegranate and lotus. Another great pomegranate blend.

My decant finally arrived, just in time for me to order bottles!

Imp: Fruity and sour. Kind of odd, but I like it.

Wet: Hello, pomegranate! I also get some of the other things, a reedy smell and maybe barley.

Dry: Dark fruity pomegranate. Yum. It's reminiscent of Fruit of Paradise, but in a slightly orthogonal direction.