Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
phantasmmysteria

The Spell of Amorous Love

Red currant, plum flowers, sake, green tea, and cherry blossom.

This blend wove a delicious scent web around me today--all sweet but not cloying fruits and blossoms with a tiny bit of acid edge from the sake. It's so reminiscent of Aizen-Myoo on me...they share some notes with Aizen-Myoo's sharpness coming in from citrus.

Decent throw and quite long-lasting (though I am a founding member of Slatherers Anonymous) :P

4.9 out of 5

In the vial, this smells like a light floral, but when it hits my skin it turns into a wonderful fruity scent. It reminds me of orange gummi bears, with just enough floral to make it sort of effervescent and keep it from just turning into candy. It's sexy, but a very playful, lighthearted sort. This is lazy summer afternoon sex with someone who makes you laugh.

Edited by Ahania

This is a nice, light Asian floral. For me, I can definitely smell the green tea, with swirls of sake and fruits. I think the fruits maybe more plum than red currant.

This is slightly powdery on me, but it's a nice soft, very feminine scent. It's kinda flirty, and sexy, but more sex kitten than in your face. Coy.

Mmmm. I do think I like this one.

THE SPELL OF AMOROUS LOVE

In Bottle: Fruity green tea

On Skin: This scent has a classic Asian feel to it. Very fresh, very light and very clean. The green tea is most dominant on me, followed by soft pink florals. The tone is light green/pink, very spring feeling. The throw is quite light, this is a close wearing scent for sure. The fruits compliment the florals and it comes off as more of a “perfumey” scent than as something fruity or food like. Overall, it’s a little too heavy on the florals for me. I prefer deep florals whereas this is very feminine and girly, a little too “pretty/cutesy” for me. It has a light to moderate throw and fairly short wearlength.

The Spell of Amorous Love

In the imp: green tea and plum blossom.

Wet on skin: here comes the sake! With tea and blossoms, this is the quintessential Japanese scent.

Dry on skin: now the juicy red tartness of currant adds a fruity scent to it all. This is very pretty! Tangy green tea and currant, gentle cherry and plum blossom and a boozy twist of sake. It’s very evocative of Japan, and it smells light and sweet but also crisp and sharp because of the currants and green tea. The plum blossom, as usual, is bound to overtake this scent…it’s already starting to smell a little too sweet.

After a while: damn you plum blossom, why must you always do this? Yup, as expected, the plum blossom turns sickly sweet, and also smells like it is wilting in here. The sake note is also turning strange on me, it smells almost like gin now (what the?) and there’s no sign of the currant in here now.

The scent ends up smelling like two blossoms, one which I love (cherry blossom-it was Cheshire Moon that really made me love this floral note) and one which I don’t like much (wilted plum blossom) with a hint of red currant.

Verdict: a lot of the Japanese scents don’t work on me because of one note that almost always does bad things on me-plum blossom. And this one has loads of it. It starts off nicely as a very Asian blend of tea, sake and cherry blossoms, a gentle, graceful and evocative fragrance. But then plum blossom bullies the other notes into submission and turns cloying and overpowering. The scent ends up as cherry and plum blossom, and I wish the cherry blossom could come out more because this is one of my new blossom loves. But plum flower won’t let that happen. So this one will be passed on to someone who’ll appreciate the scent more than me, with my plum blossom hating skin.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? No.

If you like this, try: Tanuki, Budding Moon, Kyoto, Earth Rat, Lantern Ghost of Oiwa, Fire Pig, Cheshire Moon

Edited by yeahbutnobut

wet, this has the brightness of a *gulp* bath&body works product...i suppose that's the sake givin it pizazz (ugh, did i really use that word?) the red currant is sweet but not thick as i would have thought

dry, it is a light bubbly green tea w/cherry blossom overtones.

In the vial: fresh and fruity. Not entirely unlike Kitsune Tsuki.

Wet on skin: tangy and fruity, with sweet flowers and fresh green tea. It's light green in colour.

Dry on skin: soft and tangy and juicy. This is really pretty! But it doesn't last long, unfortunately - literally only a hour! When the tartness fades, all that's left is a vague hint of vanilla floral close to my skin.

In the vial: Sweet fruity floral

Wet: Very pretty! Still sweet and fruity with mild florals. I can smell a little of the saki if I sniff close to my wrist. This is a very pretty asian scent.

Dry: As it dries, a stronger booze note is coming out. My chemistry is messing everything up lately, so it's no surprise that a little bit of clean kitty litter smell is surfacing.

20 mins later: I smell the red currant and the booze. Kitty litter fading (yea!). I like it overall, but not enough for a bottle.

pretty, pretty floral fruit punch. I really like it, but I'm not sure it's different enough to warrant a bottle.

Bottle: This is a really nice. Very light floral scents. I'm not really familiar with these scents so I won't be able to pick it out. Something is very sharp though

Wet: Very subtle, the green tea gives it a very nice presence especially mixed with the cherry blossoms

Dry: Still very subtle but now there is something fruity and sweet, with a hint of sharpness.

Overall: 5/5 for me :P . I think its a perfect Spring scent, everything just comes together so nicely. Its one of those scents that would have someone glued to your nose, so I don't mind the lack of throw too much

I was pretty excited to try The Spell of Amorous Love, because I tend to like the lab's cherry blossom note and have an odd fascination with currant scents.

In the bottle, this smells exactly like a fruity-gum candy that my cousins and I used to buy constantly when we were little. I cannot remember the name at all now. Sweet, candied, almost berry-like fruitiness.

I get that same candied fruitiness on my skin as well, which is probably a combination of the currant and sweet cherry blossom. The green tea comes out more on my skin though, and I kind of wish that it didn't. The tea lends a crisp, sharp, citrussy sort of clean note that cuts through the sweetness and sort of ruins the whole thing for me.

It's a nice enough scent. Sweet fruitiness with a bit of a perfumey floral touch and a sharp little jab from the sake and tea. I don't think that it's really me though. I probably won't keep my decant.

In the imp, wow - I get the tea, currant, cherry blossom. It's so light, so sweet, so clear, so beautiful.

On my skin, it's amazing - there's something almost citrusy here (which is my favorite thing). The florals are so light, the tea gives it depth, and the currant adds a fruity sweetness that I love - very sophisticated, subtle, but deep.

Dry, it's still a beautiful blend of tea, currant, and light florals - LOVE THIS!

Bright and tart plum with green tea and cherry blossom - pretty and simple but a lot like many of the other Asian themed BPAL scents (like Dragon Moon). It also fades very quickly. I will say though that I think the plum note in this is lovely - it's a sort of tart and "sharp" plum note!

Fruity sake and...tea? And...citrus? Bzuh?

Oh, but it mellows and smooths out beautifully. Lovely, creamy, boozy citrus. This is *heavenly*. The 'citrus' reminds me ever so faintly of the one in Bastet's Laughter and Cairo. I'm not sure what note/s my nose is interpreting as citrus. Over time, this develops a hint of a floral about the edges, so I'm going to wager it's the cherry or plum blossoms.

This is one of the few Lupercalia scents that has worked on me so far...but I'm going to pass on a bottle, as I think it's a little too sweet for regular wear. Still feeling a bit conflicted about it, though.

First Impression: Floral tea.

Dries down to: Settles down a bit but stays much the same.

Additional Comments: The red currant is the key to this blend. It lends a brightness to the florals. Unfortunately, it really fades quite quickly leaving a subtle, fruity floral that will be very pretty in the spring.

Lasted: A couple of hours.

Rating: 3 out of 5

Tea and Asian flowers...this scent is just effervescent. A happy day as Spring emerges into Summer, smiling and sun-dappled. This scent just makes me grin.

This is primarily a fruity blend on me. Tart, high-pitched red fruit, must be the currant. My skin usually amps fruit notes a bit, though, so it might be more floral on other people. The fruit are beautifully complemented by the sake and tea notes. They make them swing high in the air (tea) yet keep some depth (anchored by sake). The florals are probably adding to the lovely throw and the multidimensionality of SoAL (high, deep). It has some body but keeps feeling breezy in a way. Colourwise, it's a pink-fuchsia-raspberry-red scent for me with pale green inlays. A more sultry and refined Bewitched in a way.

I wasn't initially attracted to it but am glad I got a decant later on, as it is really lovely. Tempted to buy a bottle with my last minute Lupercalia order on March 23.

This is a spectacular scent.

It is possible to pick out all five notes--red currant, plum flowers, sake, green tea, and cherry blossom--and it smells extremely clean and fresh. The combination is almost like honey, only a much lighter honey than most Lab formulations.

Definitely bottle-worthy.

ETA: I've been wondering why the hell I bought a bottle of this and not Glowing Vulva, so I pulled it out of the box and tried it again this morning. Oh. That's why. Mm. The currant note is stronger when this oil is used in a scent locket. <sniffs happily>

Edited by Czarina

I absolutely LOVE Spell of Amorous Love!!! :P

I was hesitant to try me decant - but am so good as this is in my top 5!

It is such a beautiful blend of fruit & floral. The Cherry Blossoms just remind me of being in the park on a warm day with a light wind. You know when you look up & feel the warmth of the sun, your eyes are shut & you can smell the lovely notes around you. Thank you for this beautiful blend! :D

I love this.

It smells primarily like green tea and red currant on me. It's very light yet refreshing and feminine. I love the combination of berry notes with green tea; you just can't go wrong. Sooo girly that I want to bathe in gallons of this. It's not terribly long lasting, but when it smells this good, who cares?? Man, I can see why these blends are so expensive; it really shows in the quality of the scent.

Gorgeous, I'm enchanted!

Imp: Currant and green tea with a hint of cherry blossom. Very pretty.

Wet: Tons of green tea. A hint of the currant and plum flower, and a bit of cherry blossom. Not picking up anything I'd classify as "sake" but I like this.

Drydown: OMG. Love. LOVE! This is a gorgeous clean green tea scent with layers of currant and blossom under it. Has decent throw and staying power. GORGEOUS!

In Vial: Tangerine

Wet: This smells lovely! I know it does not have citrus or orange but this smells like a light orange scent without being citrusy.

Drydown: Now this smells a little perfumey and a lot floral. Its not bad but I liked it better wet and I like it enough to keep my imp and maybe get a bottle.

At first this had a very red fruit smell - sometimes very cherry, sometimes just red fruit. I think I briefly smelled green tea. Then about 10-15 minutes after I put it on it became Kitsune-Tsuki - only red. I suppose I'm just picking up the plum strongly in both of them, but they smell very similar.

Edited by Lanet

I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooove this scent

this is a light airy sweet beautiful summer scent

on wet this for some reason smelled like the sweetest orange juice ever! As it dried it started smelling more sweet wet sake and green tea. I get nothing floral in this whatsoever the red currant is sweet and red with a tiny sour bite at the end. I need a bottle of this!!!!