Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
phantasmmysteria

The Spell of Amorous Love

THE SPELL OF AMOROUS LOVE
Red currant, plum flowers, sake, green tea, and cherry blossom.

Fruity-floral fans, take notice! This is a very pretty blend, much softer and less aggressive than the uber-peachy La Vague (which I love, but not everyone's a fan of wearing peaches). Like La Vague, I can see this being an excellent spring/summer blend.

The currants and plum flower are the most prominent notes right out of the bottle -- it smells very fruity at this stage, perhaps just a little boozy. As this begins to dry, the cherry blossom dominates for a bit. Between the flowers and the sake this gets to be so sharp as to become eye-watering, but this stage doesn't last long on me. The cherry settles back after a bit and it gets much softer, and when it's dry all I can smell is the currant and green tea with a hint of plum blossoms in the background.

It's so lovely at this stage, but it's such a soft scent to begin with and it fades pretty quicky. I think this scent is a good candidate for dilution (in a carrier oil or alcohol) or for a scent locket.

Opening the bottle and first on, there's an astrigent quality which must be the combination of green tea and sake.

My skin chemistry loves BPAL booze and this is no exception.

A great synergy in the notes chosen. Cherry blossom is there though mostly the floral aspect isn't too strong. More of a suggestion.

Mainly, this is fruity tea with a splash of booze. More casual than I expected. A scent I'd imagine for going to lunch with friends.

In the bottle: This is supposed to be fruity-floral, but I'm getting more floral than fruity here. The notes here are really pretty, especially the cherry blossom and plum blossom.

Wet on skin: The cherry blossom dominates everything else to the point where it's sometimes all I can smell. If I try, I can also smell the plum blossom and the sake.

Dry on skin: The cherry blossom has softened, but it's still the dominant note.

Verdict: Well... Not the best scent from my last order, but overall I like it. I'm glad it's not as strong dry as it is wet.

The Spell of Amorous Love

In bottle: Fruit Punch! I can't pick out any individual notes. It just smells like fruit punch to me!

Wet, once applied: Ok, there's something spicy with the fruit punch now. I'd say cinnamon and clove, but those aren't notes listed. Maybe it's the sake I'm smelling?

Dry: This has almost disappeared from my wrist an hour after I first applied it. It still appears to be going strong behind my earlobes, though.

I'm wearing this also in my scent locket. I can pick out the individual notes much better in the locket than on my skin. Current, plum flower, sake, and cherry blossom all make an appearance. I even think I might be able to pick out the sake.

This isn't bad, but may be a bit too fruity, and I'm sad that it disappeared from my skin so quickly. I agree with the previous post that said it is a casual scent.

The Spell of Amorous Love - This is a gorgeous fruity-floral blend. It's rich and bright and incredibly pretty. The red currant and what I believe to be the plum flower are the strongest notes initially. It fades significantly and very fast - within 10 minutes of application, the red currant is completely gone, the plum flower is mostly gone, and I smell the faintest trace of green tea and cherry blossom. 20 minutes after that, it's gone. Completely gone. POOF! Just like that. I imagine this would be a stunningly beautiful room scent, particularly in the late-spring/early-summer months and I'll try it in my oil burner when that time of year rolls around. It's gorgeous, it just doesn't last worth beans on me.

Yes, yes, YES!!!!

Fruity boozy floral heaven ... I am in love with Amorous Love!

The other descriptions have covered it all; I can't add anything except that I am buying at least two more bottles so I can scent some lotion and layer this on in addition to wearing it in a scent locket. Soft and sweet, drydown on me is almost entirely sake and cherry blossom.

:P

Wet: sharp pink floral

On skin: burst of pink! Like crushed red berries and sugar

Half-hour later: the green tea has appeared with the berries, giving this a green "melon" edge

In conclusion: I love the red blends and this is a great example. Not too sweet, but really girly and effervescent. What a fun blend!

bottle: i can smell every single note from the description in this first sniff. if i had to put it bluntly: this smells of very floral sake.

wet: red currant and sake and tea are the most primary notes once this hits my skin. this really has the scent and feel of a wonderfully drunken party in early springtime sunshine.

dry: this gets more boozy as it dries. plum blossom sake with a hint of green tea, very well captured scent.

This is such a pretty blend of light floral and fruit blossoms. I purchased this as a gift but after trying it (yes I did!) I must purchase one for myself. It is both calming and relaxing. It reminds me of the Japanese flower gardens in San Fransisco and brings such happy memories. The tea is there but more of an under current. The plum, cherry and sake blend very well together and leave a lingering sweet scent that makes you smile that secret smile. Love, love, love.

Bottle: Red currant

Wet: Red Currant and green tea are very prominent, but the whole scent gives a very asian feel to it.

Drydown: I think I can kinda smell the sake and cherry blossom, but that might be my imagination.

I really like this scent, it's very fruity and uplifting.

3.5 outta 5

This is a very refreshing scent. It starts out a bit perfume-y and heavy on the sake with hints of plum and currant, but as I wear it it softens beautifully. After just a little while I'm left with a subtly sweet green tea, plum and cherry blossom scent with a hint of currants. It's very wearable, girly, and refreshing without being overly clean smelling or sweet.

If you're a fan of the lab's green tea scents and enjoy subtle fruity floral blends, I'd definitely recommend this one.

This is a gorgeous fruity-floral, but I find that there is more floral than fruit. The red currant is noticeable at first, but it fades shortly after and the plum flower and cherry blossom become the most prominent. They have a sweet but strong and very feminine quality to them. The green tea adds an accent to the blossoms but it remains in the background. This is very pretty and feminine, and a must try for anyone who loves spring-like florals.

Agreed - this is lovely spring in a bottle... I'm in the camp that's getting more florals than fruit, and thankfully plum flowers & cherry blossom are two of the few floral notes my skin can handle... Wet, there's a distinct effervescence from the sake, but that fades fairly quickly. The red currant is barely perceptible, adding a vague sweetness like a thin red glaze of jam over the flowers, all palest pink petals brushed with the Lab's fabulous green tea note.

There's an obvious similarity between Amorous Love & Dragon Moon - that same cherry blossoms-against-blue-skies feel - but Amorous Love is the more feminine of the two, adding red currant where Dragon Moon has the more woody & watery notes...

This is narcotically attractive to me....

I'm not sure why, but the plum note is just doing it here. I love the springy florals and the sweet red currant, I love the tea note. (I can't say that I smell sake, but I haven't had rice wine in quite some time and I'm not sure I would notice it as a scent unless it was very strong.)

The overall effect is fun, fruity, lighthearted, sweet, playful, young....It's not my typical kind of scent but I'm really feelin' it!

4.4 out of 5

Mmmm, this smells soooo good in the imp! It's intoxicating! A sweet fruity floral with just a touch of boozy sake. *swoooon*

I spent a year in Japan, so I've been looking for a good scent to remind me of the wonderful time I had. I hope this works with my skin...

So far, so good! Wow, this perfume is amazing. Gorgeous. It gets a little sharp while it's drying, but mellows into a wonderful sweetness on full drydown. It is so well blended, you get a little bit of every note, but nothing is overpowering. The beautiful cherry blossom really comes out at the end...pink and fluttering...this is totally going to be a nostalgia scent for me :P

This is a perfect springtime scent. Bottle worthy for sure.

Edited by Suu4LC

When freshly applied the strongest note on my wrist is the red currant, tart and fruity and quite pleasant.

It lasts all of about 15 minutes on me though! So I can't say anything more about it beyond that initial stage.

Someone will probably be happy to swap for it though :P

This is so lovely and tart in the vial. The instant it hits my skin, it's gone - not lingering, not kinda there, it's completely absorbed.

To make sure I wasn't just not smelling it, I applied it again and had two friends smell - nothing. Bizarre.

My skin is so weird. I smell grapefruit! Alcoholic scents always go wonky on me, so I guess it's the sake.

And it disappears quickly. Which is probably good, because it's astringent on me--I guess I'm immune to the spell of Amorous Love.

straight sniff from bottle is green tea, currant and cherry...

once applied this is soooooooooooo beautiful!! a lot fruity with a touch of floral...

strong sillage and absolutely gorgeously blended...

another winner from this series for me...hooorah!!hooorah! :P

Luckily I get a little more wear time than many here seem to since I am absolutely in LOVE with this one. On me this actually lasts quite well in fact though the last phase of it which appears after 5 or 6 hours is very gentle and sweet. Earlier this is a fruity floral with just a hint of tea and sake on me. I too initially thought it was grapefruit but once it settled down I realized it wasn't as sharp as grapefruit usually is on my skin. Overall it is very pretty and feminine and seems like a perfect spring/summer scent. I swear I detect a hint of skin musk in this one too though there's no musk in the notes. This sweet muskyness is what hangs around at the end after the fruit has faded. I wore this one yesterday and still had a gentle hint of it wafting around me this morning which was very, very nice.

In the imp: this is very strong, fruity, and a little bit spicy. The cap stuck a bit for me so i had my husband help me pry it off-- he was a bit overwhelmed by the smell once he got it open, and he kept sniffing the tiny dab of oil he got on his finger and going, wooow, that's strong. (It did smell REALLY strong on him. And extremely bubblegummy. This is not his scent. :P)

On me, wet: currants, currants, currants. And a bit of green tea. Not as strong as it was in the imp or on my spouse. It's not overwhelmingly sweet on me, but it does have the faintest breath of something bubblegummy.

On me, dry: about the same as wet, just a little mellower.

Throw and duration: throw is very good, duration is good for me (still faintly detectable the next morning).

Overall: it's an interesting scent, not the sort i would generally pick out for myself. I don't think there's anything else in my collection quite like it, except Titania. (The grape in Titania smells a lot like the currant in Spell on me.) I like the spice from the tea a lot and wish it was a little more dominant... that might make this a scent i could wear often. As is, i think i'll hang on to my decant and see if an appropriate occasion comes up.

In the bottle: Tart fruit, green tea, soapy blossoms.

Wet: In order, I detect red currant, sake and green tea, plum blossom, and dainty cherry blossom - not soapy anymore. The sake and tart currant give this a brisk scent, but it lies very close to the skin - it's a subtle oil.

Dry: The smooth, herbal green tea, fresh sake, and almost citrusy currant keep the juicy fruit and flowers from being too sweet. Buds and blossoms, this scent holds the promise of full sweetness to come but remains clean and light.

Summary: This stays true (currant-tea-sake-floral) on my skin to the end, with a bit of muskiness coming out. While the throw is sadly very low, this oil lasts all day on me, so slathering makes it worthwhile.

Damn, another one I must buy in bottle.

Edited by fairnymph

Really pretty and green -- I get the creaminess of plums and currants and the sweetness of cherry blossoms and green tea. It reminds me of Budding Moon, Frumious Bandersnatch (though without the spicy/potpourri notes) and Kitsune-Tsuki, though it has a very nice and different freshness. Unfortunately it fades fast and turns into something almost identical to Kitsune-Tsuki, and, well, I already have a bottle of that. The wet stage is really lovely, though (I think it's the currant that adds that extra tart note I love).

In the bottle, this smells a lot like a plum sake I drank once.

Wet on my skin, the plum-ness comes out more, and there's still a detectable sake smell.

Dry: plum, currant, maybe some sake.

Nice, light, fresh. Nice for a summer day, I think.

The Spell of Amorous Love is red and fruity and and floral and a bit sweet, but all of it is tempered by the crisp, sharp note of the sake. I absolutely love it, but it fades very quickly on me, so I think I'll just have to stick with the decant.