Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pinkpepper

Hony Mone

Three honeys blended with seven fruits, flowers, and herbs of passion, pleasure, and joy: honeysuckle, fig, carnation, apricot, jasmine, tonka, and almond.

I smell honey, almond and some flowers.....it smells like a tropical vacation and I absolutely adore it! A wonderful and gorgeous scent :luv2:

Edited by Suusje

My first reaction: "What the effin' eff?"

My second reaction: "Huh? Really?!"

Never have I had the dreaded powder note of powder do0m before. Until Hony Mone. Normally, honey and I are like *this*. Not so here. I fully expected a warm, luscious & golden blend -- I mean, look at that note list! Instead, for me, this is pure powder, with slight undercurrents of powdery jasmine and powdery fig and perhaps, just perhaps, the other notes... all drowning in baby powder. How can this be?! :blink:

I tried to like it. But it just does not smell right to me. My nose rejects Hony Mone. Off to swaps. Someone will have a better experience with it. Sob.

Edited by obsidienne

I was a little nervous about the honeysuckle in this (go here to see why), but it far exceeded all my expectations. :D The honeysuckle is really a background note, slightly discernible but not in-your-face. What really takes the stage in this are the rich golden honeys and the delicious earthy sweetness of the fig. There's a little more honeysuckle when this is wet, but as it dries down the honeys and fig become more and more prominent until it makes me think of some sort of honeyed fig concotion I really wish I could have a bite of right about now. I'll be honeymooning with this! :wub2:

In the decant, I get a fruity honey sort of scent. Mmm.

On my skin, it's a really bitter, faint sort of honey scent. Ehh. Swaps/sales, someone else will probably appreciate it more.

From the bottle, initially I can get some fig, apricot, a little bit of herby and spicy stuff. I think the spiciness I’m getting is carnation and maybe tonka also. On me, I get hints of...coconut? Or something? Weird.

All of the notes listed in the description show themselves at some point...I get whiffs of jasmine and honeysuckle too, but only whiffs, because most of this scent is honeyed fruits and spices. Sort of powdery (fig sometimes is on me), but also sort of juicy (apricot!), and also sweet (honey, carnation), and I insist that I still smell freakin’ coconut in this. There's also not as much honey as I was expecting, but it's still damn good in spite of that.

In bottle: Mess o’Florals

Wet: HELLO JASMINE!! Yes, I can see that you are the shining star diva queen. Can you move out of the way a bit so that I can see who else is in the room?

Drydown: Starting to pick out a few others now, like honeysuckle and carnation. Maybe a touch of apricot?

Later: The florals have evened out more into the Mess o’Florals that I got when I took a whiff from the bottle. The honey seems to move around a bit in the background, but don’t fool yourself: this is a VERY FLORAL SCENT. I don’t have that much of a problem with Jasmine, but if you loathe it, then it is probably best to pass on this one, since it insists on stepping out in front of the others.

In the bottle: Honey with some floral and nut notes. Maybe this won't be all marzipany?

On me: Ack! :ack: Wacky sharp sweet scent of weirdness! I think one of the honeys is going off? The almond is behaving itself nicely and is a sweet raw almond scent without going sugary. I'm not getting the fruits at all, and only a light veil of jasmine. As it dries down, the sharpness fades but doesn't disappear entirely. The almond and honey make a sweet but somehow not at all foody baklava-ish scent. But that weirdness...is this what people describe when jasmine goes bad? I think it might be!

But...jasmine, we were such good friends. We worked so well together, even though you scare other people. Really, just because almond isn't waving around the giant marzipan hammer this time doesn't mean I'll leave you for them!

Meh. Into the swaps pile you go... :cry2:

in the vial: fruity herbal

on the skin: mostly herbal, with a bit of fruit (I'm getting more fig than apricot, which is surprising) and a bit of honey

drydown: Jasmine over herbal with a wee bit of fruit. Not sure where the almond and honey is in this blend. On the upside, it didn't go marzipan on me, but on the downside jasmine simply steamrollers everything. :lol: The jasmine is tempered a bit by the sweetness of the fruit and the herbs, but I don't think I need to hunt down a bottle of this.

Bottle: Honey, almond, caramel, flowers and herbs.

Wet on skin: Very floral, crisp and green with oodles of honey. It’s extremely sweet with hint of bitterness and something chemical, almost like toilet bowl cleaner.

After 10 minute dry down: The chemical scent dies down and the flowers get subdued. The result is honey, butter, frosting, quiet flowers.

Overall: This is definitely a honey-floral and I like it, but I can see how others might find this too cloying. If you don’t like honey, this is probably not the perfume for you.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

Imp: Uhm.. eww? This is a mixture of toilet bowl cleaner and nail polish remover! :( Faintest hint of honey, OK.

Wet: Pure acetone! There is something nutty under the acrid acetone note that could be almonds and honey. But, really, this is horrible.

Dry: Coconut nail polish remover or hairspray. One of the worst BPAL scents I have ever tried. mecry.gif

I recently got a bottle of Hony Mone 2007 from the Lab's Etsy shop. At first I thought I got a bad bottle because it smelled like rubbing alcohol. When I put it on I got some florals but still some rubbing alcohol. It really reminded me of hand sanitizer or one of those old alcohol based pre-packaged wet wipes. As it dried down the alcohol smell dissipated and it turned into light florals, morphed into fruity florals, and then settled on sweet so I'm guessing the honey and tonka. I really like this after the wet wipe smell goes away.

Hony Mone

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (BPAL)

Forum Exclusive (Limited Edition)

Three honeys blended with seven fruits, flowers, and herbs of passion, pleasure, and joy: honeysuckle, fig, carnation, apricot, jasmine, tonka, and almond.

In the bottle I mostly just smelled honey but once on skin I began to pick up the fig, Tonka, and almond. Oddly enough no florals have stepped up yet and I usually amp floral scents very strongly. Despite so far only food like scents coming up this is not a foody smelling perfume it is not overly sweet and the non honey notes popping out or more spice \incense like. Some of that spice might be the carnation.

Oh no partway into dry down on starting to pick up a faint plastic note sometimes bpals honey will do this on me I think it has to do with my chemistry at the time the first time I'd tried O it was horrible two weeks later it was fantastic this may not be a good time for trying this perfume. However with this faint plastic shift (which I'm hoping will go away)

I'm starting to pick up thread of florals. Perhaps a faint bright tinge of the apricot is peeking through, it's a little hard to tell with the plastic note. The honey is still there, evidently it's one particular type of honey note that tends to do this and sometimes it morphs back I will keep my fingers crossed.

Final dry down:honey spiced almond with a woodsy floral note

In the imp - Sharp honey.

Wet - JASMINE honey.

Drydown - I’m so jealous … I don’t get any fig or carnation or almond. Just the (very very floral) jasmine and honeysuckle.

Verdict - This isn’t bad, but it’s not good enough that I want to hang on to it.

almond is usually heinous on me but here it gives a cake-y feel to the scent. The fig is rich and dense... like a preserve. I am not sure I love this one. In the bottle it isn't so good although I am getting a bit of citrus or pom type of bright fruitiness lightening it all up tho generally I would say this is a heavy deep scent--dark for lack of another word. Some honeys do that on me .... the sexy lady bits some people say tho I tend to think more musky man bits myself. Sexual and raw either way but not naughty. I cannot explain it. I vote this a fall scent. Not because it is cozy but it has that husky loamy vibe. It is very earthy without being a dirt scent.

In the bottle: Sharp honey, then jasmine. A few sniffs later, and I can pick out apricot and honeysuckle underneath as well. In the bottle, this is kind of a hot mess. 

On my skin:

Jasmine and something rounder and almost buttery underneath. Probably the almond, probably also the apricot, couldn't rule out honey contributing at this point as well, though the last is not immediately discernable as a note. 

After about ten minutes, the jasmine and honeysuckle soften a bit, and the honey, almond, and apricot come forward a bit more. The soft undertone that is the "food note blend" here is actually quite lovely. The florals are still sharp on my skin. 

Another ten minutes, and the trend continues, though it's slowed down. The fig has started to make an appearance, so there's a bit of earthy sweetness going on too. I feel like this will be lovely if I can just outwait the jasmine. (Note: If I ever create a scent autobiography, "If I Can Just Outwait the Jasmine" is a viable working title.)

Erk, I may have spoken too soon! The almond -- which the honey had been keeping in check for me -- starts to dominate the foody end of this. So now it's almond-jasmine, which is not sitting well with my skin chemistry. 

Aaand... at about 40 minutes, I have to NOPE out of this blend. The almond has died down, so that the foody undertone is a lovely round, fruity honey. But the jasmine has amped up again. Jasmine lives to write another scent chapter, and I'm going to go wash off my arm.