Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

So...Fruitcake!

When I opened my box at my Mum's yesterday, she said "how did they know you're a fruitcake?" :P I should have told her, "well, they read the forums, and I'm pretty sure they know that we're ALL fruitcakes."

In the imp, it smells EXACTLY like maraschino cherries. Exactly. Whoa.

Wet on my skin, it continues to smell like maraschino cherries. It's slightly boozy, but it smells just like how maraschino cherries taste. It's...it's actually yummy! Hee! And now I have a craving for cherries...

As it dries, the booze comes out a little bit more, and a little spice, but it's mainly candied fruits and sugar. It's really delicious. Holy carp, Lab, how do you do this? (Yes, carp.) It reminds me just a little of MB: Bloody Mary, but it's (dare I say it?) better. It's boozy and sweet and it's still got that maraschino-cherry smell to it. It's the sugar from Sugar Skull and the boozy cherries from Bloody Mary, with a bit of spice and some cakey goodness thrown in.

In conclusion: YUM. <3 Thank you, Lab, for the awesome Christmas gift!

Just got a free serving of Fruitcake in my order. :P Thanks, Lab!

First whiff on skin: spicy almonds. Damn, but this doesn't remind me of something... It's very light, subtle.

Ooh, I got it! I'm getting spicy almonds and a cherry cordial smell now. Boozy cherries, drunken cherries. Candied fruits and nuts, drowning in brandy. How does she do it??

As it dries, it gets more redolent of cake! A warm spicy cake, laden with nuts and fruits and spices. Fruitcake to the max, though it's still pretty light, with almost no throw... and now it reminds me just a wee bit of Elegba. Yup, this is Voudoun fruitcake here, folks -- and this is no bad thing. I have an odd nose, though!

It would be WONDERFUL in a diffuser, as a room scent.

Thank you, thank you!

FRUITCAKE

In Bottle: Fruity cakey yum!

On Skin: First I smell cake and spices… sweet spices and very soft. The fruit is also there, purely candied and sweet. This does smell like fruitcake… very much so… sticky and foody. It is moist but not drenched in rum… just a little kicker, a boozy note in the back. I really love this scent, it is confort in it’s finest. While I’m not a fan of fruitcake, I sure do love how it smells! This is the perfect holiday room scent and I feel festive right away! Everyone in the office wants to know what I’m wearing, and when I see Fruitcake, they’re like… someone brought a fruitcake?!!?! Kind of funny. A very fun and holiday filled scent, thank you so much to the lab for sending me this lovely little imp. Strong throw and average to long wearlength.

FRUITCAKE

I really loved this prototype, which was out at a couple of the most recent will calls. I am thrilled that I got a frimp in my last order!

Wet: This smells like cherries and cake.

Dry: I still get cherries and cake, but there is a warmth and depth added there: booze, baking spices, other fruits, almonds, and an extra kick of dry spices at the end. Considering that eating fruitcake is not my thing, this is a fantastic scent! :P

It's called fruitcake and it smells of fruitcake. I love this and I am really not a foody scent person!

It's definitely a fruitcake with almonds or marzipan, because there is an almond note in with all the candied fruit and spicy cake scent (not playdoh, which is what my skin usually does to almonds).

I can see myself paying silly money on ebay to get another imp of this if Beth doesn't release it!

I read all the reviews as they began coming in and was so hoping I would get this in with my order. And lo and behold I did and I love it!

It smells like the sort of fruitcake I make..not too dense,not very alchoholic but buttery,cakey and spicy with dried cherries and other fruits. I also like this much better than Monster Bait Bloody Mary and,echoing many here,would definitely get a full bottle of this if it were offered.

Many thanks Lab.

For once in my life, it pays to be a moron - when I made my Capricorn order, I didn't notice that there was a forum-only scent, so I ended up making two orders right together. And each had an imp of Fruitcake!

In the imp - mmmm, buttery sweet fruity cake. It's amazing how the Lab's scents so often have a *texture* as well as a scent, and it really smells like the feeling of biting into a piece of cake.

On my skin, the booziness comes out, and I'm getting a hint of cinnamon - a little sharper than I'd like, but you can still smell that delicious cake-y scent. There's a cherry-ish / almond-y scent about it that I really like.

Once it dries, it's .... mmm, delicious blend of all the flavors that you'd expect. It's delicious, subtle, rich - a real winner.

Edited by SarahScent

Fruitcake is a work of genius. Seriously. Overly foody scents (as in, foods that smell like food items) really aren't my thing, but this is so evocative of my childhood memories of Christmas, how could I *not* love it? My mother has always baked her own fruitcakes for Christmas from an old family recipe, and as soon as I was old enough to hold a wooden spoon she'd let me help mix the giant bowl of ingredients. As soon as I sniffed the vial of the Lab's Fruitcake, I could smell the contents of that bowl again - the spices, butter, cherries, and fruit. It is perfect. :P

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

Frimp with my 2nd ever BPAL order! :P

IN THE IMP: Oh, yummm. Rich, buttery cake with spices and maraschino cherries. And hints of booze.

WET: More yummy cake with spices, and less of the cherries. Which is good, because I don't like cherries all that much. And still a little of the booze. Reminds me a lot of Gingerbread Poppet with cherries instead of ginger.

DRY: Still spicy cake. Very warm and comforting, and it makes me vaguely nostalgic, even though I've never eaten fruitcake in my life. How very odd.

[Edit] After an hour or two, it's a really warm, brown, sugary cake. Rich and buttery. Mmmmmm.

Edited by jwhxtna

In the vial and wet, it smells like creamy, lickable marzipan and candied cherries.

As it dries, it becomes spicier and a touch boozy. There's also a hint of nuttiness. The spicy cherryness reminds me a bit of Kabuki, but Fruitcake is a richer, fuller scent.

Definitely smells like its namesake. :P

Holy crap does this smell like fruitcake! I'm... floored by it, actually. I can even smell the little nuclear fruits (candied cherries? is that what those are?)!

It's a lot cakier when it dries down. It would be completely awesome in an oil burner for the holidays, but I'm not so sure I want to smell like a fruitcake all day.

I'm terribly amused!

Edited by prettybird

out of the imp: buttery boozy almonds

on skin: mmmmmmmmmmmm. neddy likes. A LOT. its almondy buttery cakey cherry goodness, and those are notes that are not supposed to work on me. finally an almond that works for me! It spices up a little as it dries, and is making my mouth water. and the booze is there but not making me smell alcoholic (yay!).

Lab, you rock, and if this gets released (purty plz???) I will snap up a bottle (or 4)

My mom ordered three bottles for me for Christmas (Whip, Dirty, and Midnight) and this frimp came with it. I was so excited to see it because I had been hoping to get my hands on it since I read about it on lj.

It smells exactly like the fruitcake my great-aunt made every year when I was a kid. She'd make it in cupcake wrappers and I loved them. I've missed her fruitcake for years so it was so nice to get to smell it again today!

straight sniff from imp is booze...brandy, to be specific and cherries :P

once applied this has the same feel/scent as "eat me" notes plus the booze and fruit...

this warms up and gets divinely cake-like...better than any fruitcake i ever have smelled...

i then get lots of buttery, cinnamony, nutmeg...to die 4, truly!!!

wonderful sillage folks!!!

i am thrilled to have had a lovely forumite reach out and offer me some of this

festive and delightfully fun blend...

now if i could only get my grubby paws on a bottle.... :D

I'm a lucky girl and got a frimp of this in my Tanuki order :P

OK, here's my quick 'n' easy Fruitcake synopsis:

Fruitcake = The Hanging Gardens + Sugar Skull (with an extra helping of nuts)

Which is to say that it's plenty of fruit (of the dark dried variety) and almond in the imp, then lots of other nutty scents come to the fore on my skin, and in an hour it's that dark brown sugar scent from Sugar Skull.

Tasty and Christmassy :D

I got a frimp of Fruitcake in a mysterious Lab package which I didn't order, and which I can only assume is from my Switch Witch. (Yay! Thank you, mysterious ninja witch!)

In the imp it smells exactly like fruitcake. Very nice!

On me, the fruitcake takes on a tiny bit of a bitter edge and the merest hint of a burned smell (dang skin chemistry!), so it'll probably be a room scent or maybe I'll have to get a scent locket.

Lovely work, though. Very well done.

Another frimp receiver here (came in my last-minute order to hoard some of the Muse scents destined for the chopping block).

First sniff, WOW! Thick, maple-y, syrupy sweetness, just rippling out in all directions. Eventually some spices emerge from underneath (nutmeg, clove, maybe ginger). Dayum, Beth. Yeah, if you love the sugary foodie scents, go for it, but it's too rich for my blood.

My wife and I ordered our first set of his 'n hers imps and Fruitcake was one of 2 frimps. It was a pleasant surprise to open the box and see a couple of freebies. :P Thank you Lab!

In the bottle Fruitcake is very....cakey, sweet, vanilla and cherries and a hint of something else but it is STRONG FOOD SMELL.

Even though it didn't appeal to me I thought I'd try it on to see how it dried down. It mellowed to a baked sweet cake kind of smell and ended on a vanilla note. Nice I guess, not my thing but I can see how others could really like it. My wife didn't want it near her :D

Neither of us are fruitcake fans (either the baked or the scent) and the imp is packed and ready to go to an enabler who has kindly sent us a couple smellies, including some Mechanical Phoenix for me to check out & maybe order before it comes off sale. More than a fair trade in my mind. I hope she feels the same.

Overall: Nice and the scent captures what they were going for. Not one for us but a good job by the Lab on this scent for anyone addicted to smelling like food, or for anyone who wants to torture those who have gone on a diet.

Yay labbies, thanks for the frimp!

I finally tried this today....

It's a cherry scent, for sure. It's got some sweet-rum sass, and some spicy cakey goodness, but the predominant note is cherry on me.

The throw and wear are moderate.

I like it, but I'm not obsessed. There's something about it that makes me think of scented candles, rather than perfume. It would make a wonderful room scent! I'm sure I can find a more loving home for this little guy, he has a lot of fans making grabby hands!

3 out of 5

i got this imp in the post a few days ago and was dying to try it immediately.

in the bottle: sweet, and very cake-like. it reminded me of angel food cake, very sugary with a hint of something strong under it- rum?

on the dry-down: the rum went away and the sweet got stronger, to be added by a fake fruity smell.

a few hours later: it was like i was a walking candle shop. specifically, like i'd become a mall branch of the yankee candle company. *sigh* not what i'd hoped for.

oh well. my chemistry isn't for everything i guess. off to swap! :P

I received a frimp of Fruitcake in my recent order (my first order in well over a year.) I had heard much about this mysterious little gift Beth was sending out. I have to admit to not being much of a fan of real fruitcake. But this little imp....

BEST BPAL TO EVER TOUCH MY SKIN!!!

I don't think the lab could create a more perfect blend for me. Warm, rich, sweet. On my skin I get the fruits only as a subtle background scent. The top notes are buttery and spicey. A cakey smell. Sadly, this one requires major slathering for me. That poor little imp is going to be gone fast. If the lab decided to release this one I would definitely be stocking up. I can't say enough how much I love it. Seriously, I need to horde this one. Now I just need to track down some unwanted imps...

I love this frimp and thank Beth for creating the brown sugar, maple goodness. I love foody scents and this has my name written all over it! It smells as tasty as a fruit cake-nutmeg and cinnamon with vanilla and candied fruit. A yummy experience all around! If only I could purchase a bottle-I was heartbroken when I found out it was imp only. This is love! :P

I got this as a frimp with my order and omg... I thought I would hate it but it's actually really good.

It smells like rum, a bit of fruit, and spice OMGZ. It has a bit of a buttery smell as well.

I think I'm going to keep this and where it whenever I feel festive. I totally adore it.