Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
alicia_stardust

Gula Bath Oil

Cocoa absolute, sugar cane, honey, black currant, vanilla, and caramel.

This is the bath oil that I should have tried first :P It smells somewhere between Boomslang and Velvet to me, and I am overjoyed for it. It has that true cocoa smell from Boomslang and Velvet, not the chocolatey smell of Bliss. It's sweet without being overly so. I don't get any black currant from it, which is fine by me. It dries down to a sweet chocolately and almost woody scent on my skin; very much like Boomslang without the strong spices, or a sweeter version of Velvet. It has a very faint salty note to it, which I think must be the caramel. It blends really well with my skin scent, even after a hot and sweaty day. I expect that I'm going to be using this one an awful lot, and I'm super glad it's a GC bath oil. :)

I have not yet tried this in the bath (I'm kind of afraid I'd be tempted to drink the bathwater :eek: ) but on my skin, this is a deep, dark chocolate, with a hint of fruit, reminding me of Dark Chocolate and Cherry from the '09 Lupers, with an added drizzle of caramel. I love the fruity-chocolate-foody oils, but usually, they're just cute, not sexy. Gula is sexy. It's not corner candy shop, it's silk sheets and expensive European truffles. I wish I had bought 2 bottles, because I suspect this is going to be used often.

Absolutely delicious in the bottle. On me... well, guess caramel is a death note in bath oil too. *sigh* Too bad, it was SO yummy until it sat on my skin for about half an hour!

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I LOVE THIS!!

I am not a foody smell lover, but this is like if chocolate and really high quality sandalwood had sex and made a beautiful baby. It starts out obviously chocolately (think Bliss) and then morphs into something really sophisticated and soft.

There are brown stuff floating inside this, wonder if it's supposed to look like this? Seems to be dirty. Has a yellow/brown colour. Inside: Nom. It smells like dark chocolate cream. Vanilla. On it gets stronger and a bit headachy, I'm guessing this also has honey in it since that usually makes me feel a bit nauseus. I mean really, I'm not that fond of currant or honey but this is absolutley wonderful. The currant makes it a bit stronger and almondy after a while. I didn't think of it as caramel since the mix cocoa-honey usually smells as caramel. I would say that it also have an incense note, but obviously not! It has a vague smell of incense, making it not as sweet as I thought it would be. Delicious! :yum:

I thought I would love Gula but I actually can't stand it - makes me a bit sick to my stomach...must be the Caramel (which has ruined many an otherwise great blend on me - Red Lantern, Arrival at the Sabbath...) which is so sad...I wish I could handle caramel!!! This would be glorious!!!

ETA: the nausea also comes from honey, so it must have been the brown sugar/honey/caramel combo. Funny, i love these tastes, but cannot put the bpal vs on my skin.

Edited by Herb Girl

I admit I've only sniffed Gula and haven't used it in the bath yet, but I'm not sure I'm a fan. There's something a little salty about it. Sometimes cream notes do that on my skin so here it might be the caramel. Strange. I get cocoa almost as an afterthought. :(

Edited by Leopard403

Delicious, delicious, delicious. This is one of my top three bath oils for sure. Cocoa doesn't usually work for me, but here it does as it beautifully mixes to leave a soft, sweet, fruity vanilla scent with chocolate backing it up. For the record, this smells like expensive chocolate, not Hershey's. I'm not usually a huge foody but I love Gula.

I thought Gula would be more intense than it is with all the powerfully sweet notes listed, but it's really quite delicate. This is both good and bad... I smell light chocolate, a whiff of caramel and a slight tartness from the black currant. It's not terrible, but the overall effect is like some generic piece of candy, not a decadent gourmet dessert. Something a bit plastic-y about it as well (probably the honey; doesn't always happen on my skin but when it does it's very noticeable). Not complex or realistic enough for me, and instead it comes across like a commercial Bath & Bodyworks spray.

This is so yummy. Freshly applied (used as moisturizer) is smells like someone melted down an entire chocolate/candy store and poured it in the bottle. This is not a bad thing. It almost feels sticky, but I know that's just in my head. Once it sinks into my skin, the scent is much lighter but still really yummy.

I wear Wulric to bed a lot, and I like using bath oils to moisturize before bed. Tonight I have paired my Wulric with this, and as I lie in bed, struggling to keep my eyes open long enough to review this, I am certain this will be a popular combo. Its like a relaxing chocolate hug.

Dark, rich, warm, luxuriant. Sophisticated, not sickly sticky sweet like candy. I can smell each element. Normally not much of a foodie fan, I do love vetiver and this strikes my nose as having a strong vetiver undertone, although it's not listed.

All dark chocolate, all the time!! This is gorgeous, and I don’t find it foody at all. I don’t get much of the other notes, but if you like deep dark pure cocoa, you’ll love this. 

I live in a dry place, and my skin may be more dry than others, so keep that in mind. Also I’m a bath oil newbie so this may be *duh* for some folks, but I would have found this useful:

The way I used this was by adding a couple of teaspoons to the running bath water (I heeded earlier reviews that a little goes a long way!). When I got in the bath, my legs immediately felt softer, and the smell pretty much disappeared. So I added a bit more, and noticed oil drops floating on the water. I splashed around with my arms, and those drops disappeared, along with the rejuvenated scent. After that, I applied small amounts of oil directly to my arms, shoulders, and chest, and soaked in the water. 

Now that I’m dry I smell only the faintest whiff of cocoa, and only when I snuffle my skin, so I think there’s a direct correlation between noticeable scent and how much oil is floating on the water (as opposed to soaking into my skin). I expected my bathroom to be a choc-splosion, but there’s barely any scent left at all. (Will update if the spouse says something different when he gets home.)

My skin is so, so soft and luscious. Will definitely continue using, either in the bath or directly on moist skin.