Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

White, for acting in good conscience and doing our best to give back to the community.
Frangipani, magnolia, cotton flower, osmanthus, crystal musk, ambrette, white orchid, sugar cane, davana, white sandalwood, petitgrain, lavender, and lotus root.

White Phoenix is a gentle scent, which is different than being faint. It has a medium throw and average wear-length.

The frangipani is the strongest part of this blend. It is exotic, hypnotizing, sweet, and almost spicy. I think it presents differently than it does in other blends as a result of the interplay with the other notes. It is less dominant than I expected, and has a lower pitch. (Yes, I sometimes hear tones. :P )

I can detect a very light grit of sandalwood and an uncharacteristically mellow lavender in the background. The combination of white florals and cotton flower with the resins and crystal musk are gorgeous. They sort of play off of each other and swirl into an uplifting, soothing, benevolent scent that is almost powdery, almost spicy, almost warm. Edited by Shollin

In bottle/imp: Sweet flowers and perfume-y musk.

Immediately on skin: Sweet flowers and soft, warm musk. It’s sweet and very pretty. The frangipani, crystal musk, and white sandalwood are the most identifiable notes but the scent is very complex and well blended.

After a few minutes: This blend has morphed into mostly sandalwood with a bit of cold musk and sweet floral notes. It’s a sweet scent, but it has a lot going on. There are a lot of floral notes in this, and they blend together nicely and no one overshadows the others. It has a slight “clean” feel to it, but it’s not a crisp or refreshing scent… it’s more like a warm and comforting clean scent.

Overall Impressions: This is a floral blend for sure, but it’s not just a floral blend. The sandalwood and musks blend in nicely, making it warm and complex. There are a lot of different flowers, but they all play together nicely. It’s sweet, but not overly so, and feminine.

bottle: light sweet musk, sandalwood and that same cottony scent that was in black lace.

wet: the frangipani and sandalwood warm up instatly and give this a rich, yet soft feel to the florals.

dry: this has dried to sandalwood and cotton with a bare hint of musk. this is quite a relief since i usually amp musk, it's nice to have a softer musk scent once in a while.

This smells a lot like Blue Moon, which means it's a white musky floral that doesn't turn to laundry soap flakes on me. It's slightly aquatic (guess that's the lotus), seductively sweet, and a little bit syrupy - is that the sugar cane giving it that extra body?

I've learned that osmanthus never steers me wrong, even in the face of lavender, which I love, but usually doesn't work with my chemistry (here it's perfect, and wintry-chilly next to the sandalwood). How great is that? Love this stuff.

Edited by LadyMedb

White Phoenix – This contains some hit-or-miss notes, so I wasn’t sure what I was going to think of this blend. I’m still kind of so-so on it after testing it a couple of times. The strongest notes on me are lavender and orchid, which are a really fascinating combination. The sugar cane is probably what I smell next – sweet, but slightly woody. The scent reminds me of the taste of chewing on freshly-pulled sugar cane. It’s a clean, smooth, and calming scent. Overall, it’s a nice scent, but reminds me a lot of Yvaine, which I use at night before bed, so I don’t really have a need for this one.

straight sniff from imp is soft, white musk with a sprinkle of lavender....

once applied pure and ethereal lavender and musk with a touch of sugar....whilte florals abound...

very lovely indeed....

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: This was the only one of the 2007 Phoenixes that grabbed me. A perfume that lists magnolia will always get my attention. I'm hoping for a wonderful floral with tinges of the musk and sandalwood.

This may be tricky, as something--possibly the frimp of Bastet-- leaked a little in the baggie. AND I've been dealing with a stuffed-up nose all day. But forward into the breach...

In the Bottle: Definitively floral. Light and sweet and heady, like when spring starts heating up a little and promising summer in humid whispers.

Wet: Wow, the sweet is coming off my skin in waves! I'm getting mental flashes of a fresh magnolia blossom and other flowers floating in a bowl of sugar syrup.

Drydown: Eventually the floral fades somewhat and the musk and sandalwood come into play. It also takes a turn into herbs, with the lavender peeking out.

Verdict: I'll try this once more when my nose is not AWOL to be sure, but I think I love the bottle and wet stages but not the dry. I might use up the decant in a scent locket, but I don't think I need a bottle.

Wow, this one surprised me. I'm not a floral person, and this is indeed a floral perfume. However, the florals are set in a creamy backdrop and together they create this smooth, subtly sweet, floral veil. It's unlike any other fragrance I have since and I think I'll reach for it when I want to feel calm and relaxed. Perhaps a Saturday morning perfume. I really like it and I see myself purchasing a bottle before it leaves town.

In the bottle:

I don't know how to describe it, other than "strong" and "chemical".

Wet:

Light and fresh, something floral but also a little citrusy, amd I can definitely smell the lavender note.

Dry:

This dries musky, softly floral, and strongly herbal. I *think* I like it, but it's a little on the soapy side and will need a full wearing or two before I can decide for sure.

Edited to add:

This is totally a new favorite. I would never have expected to like it so much, and I almost didn't even order a bottle.

Edited by n3m3sis42

Since my LiveJournal name is whitephoenix, I had to get a bottle of me (for cripes' sake - how awesome is that?!), and I'm so glad I did.

In the bottle, White Phoenix smells like Magic Marker, but it hits my skin and undergoes a fantastic transformation; the chemical tang vanishes from the oil, and what remains is an exquisite, creamy, white floral beauty with incredible throw and wearlength. I agree with edenssixthday that the White is a lot like Yvaine, but the latter oil has much more of the astringent lavender and is lighter and sharper. White is much richer and deeper, and its radiance is perfect for a scent that celebrates community service and conscience. Extra kudos for the bottle label, which depicts a spiky ice-phoenix that's wicked enough to serve as some evil empire's flag.

This is one of the most unique scents I've ever tried, and I will definitely try to get another bottle or two before it comes down. I'm especially impressed because this scent has a lot of notes that don't often work for me - lavender, white sandalwood, ambrette, and crystal musk are all iffy at best - yet they all blend together so beautifully that what I expected to be a mediocre fragrance has instead become a new favourite.

it was the "Crystal Musk" that sold me on this one. with most of the other notes also being positives in my world. lavender and lotus being the main ones that could go wonky.

sniffed from the bottle: oh yum! this is in the crystal/glassy family that i love so much!

on skin: this reminds me a whole lot of Berenice and Spirits of the Dead.

clear and clean, almost powdery, with a perfumey note wafting around. i can't really pick out any individual notes from this - thankfully not even the lavender - but it is very pretty.

In the decant, light perfumey floral, and I think I can pick out a musk too. (picking out any notes at all is quite an accomplishment for me. lol)

On, definitely the musk, coming out more, but not overpowering the flowers. Light, not overly long lasting, but really nice. Methinks I need a bottle.

Oooh, first of all, the bottle art is lovely - it looks like a phoenix made of ice crystals. Pretty!

In the bottle, it's cool, and a bit sweet and sharp (I imagine that's the lavender at work).

On my skin, it instantly warms to something sweet and white and undeniably floral, but understatedly so. It's more along the lines of Kindly Moon than Swan Maiden (both of which I love). I agree that there's something exotic and almost spicy to this scent.

The musk is light and really just a base for the other notes to play on. This is just gorgeous - I don't get the sharpness that I normally get from lavender once it's on my skin, and I don't get any bubblegum from the lotus (which is normally what it turns to on me).

This is "perfumey," but I mean that in the best way possible. It's floral, but not overly floral, it's sweet, but not cloying. It's...ethereal. Ethereal is the best word to describe this. It's in the same sweet floral so-well-blended-I-can't-really-tell-what's-in-it family as Kindly Moon, even though it doesn't really smell like Kindly Moon. It's so, so pretty. I may have to get another bottle before it comes down...

Comes across as a very clean floral at first - like white florals and clean cotton together. On the drydown, it becomes slightly muskier though and it warms up in tone a bit. Despite the fact that I'm not a floral person OR a "clean" scent person, I think this is appealing. Smells like spring in a way, and makes me think of flowering trees.

White Phoenix

In the Bottle:

Flowers. Just flowers.

On my Skin, Wet:

White flowers - rose, gardenia, & others I can't identify.

Overall warm feeling, not a wintery scent, but more like the early spring with a cold gust of wind on occassion.

On my Skin, Dry:

yum, yum, yum!

THIS is what I had hoped Snow White would be like on me (instead I got a cross between cookie dough & play doh).

Lovely, colder now but still nothing but flowers!

I can't pick out the rose or gardenia anymore, but I feel like I'm holding a grand bouquet of white flowers sitting in a park of ice sculptures!

(strangely, I get a sugar note in this stage of White Phoenix)

Verdict:

Another bottle please!

Snow White - I don't have to beg & plead for you to work anymore - White Phoenix has picked up the slack!

10 of 10 Rating!

Beautiful & poignant!

Ah, White Phoenix... the BPALversary scent that I was sure would work on me.

I don't know if it's because I've been huffing the snow scents lately, but something in White Phoenix struck me as very snowy when I went to put in on. Welcomed, of course, as I adore the snowy ones.

Wet on skin and for the first hour of wearing it, all I could think of is "laundry detergent". Weird. It's sweet. It's clean. And not at all unpleasant, although I don't think I'd apply straight before going out somewhere.

After the initial "clean" smell and overwhelmingly magnolia, it morphs into musky and sweet. This is what I love about BPAL - they can be so funky when going on, but after drying down, they can be glorious.

White Phoenix is a definite winner.

Oh my Goodness! This is so pretty!

On me, White Phoenix is a beautiful white musk scent backed up by soft, gentle white florals. The musk really stands out the most, with everything else in the background. I can't pick out any florals separately, because the bouquet is so well blended. It's pillowy soft!!!

Any musk fans should try this one, it is so gorgeous!

Akurarei, I have to second your comment about Snow White - I was hoping for SW to smell more like this on me.

I'm so glad I have a 5mL!! This is my first BPAL musk lurve. It reminds me a little of China Musk.

4.6 out of 5

Wet on my skin, White Phoenix is a clean, soapy scent. As it starts to dry, it turns to freshly-washed linen. Fully dry, it's light musk and barely-there floral. It's nice, but too light and airy for me.

When I saw "crystal musk" in the description, I was done for.

The art on the bottle is lovely too, it's as if the phoenix is made of pieces of crystal.

In the bottle and wet on my skin, this is a very floral, clean floral smell. A bit heady, a bit soapy clean. Where's my musk??

After half an hour or a bit more, the heady floral aspect has calmed down and then the glorious musk makes its appearance. Oh how I love this phase. :P

The throw is not too strong and I have to put my wrist to my nose, but the musk is wonderful. It's soft, elegant, gorgeous! The drydown of the scent reminds me quite a bit of Buck Moon.

This is a scent that I will have to remember to wear before arriving on a date/at work, as I love its' second and final stages more than the wet stage. I will be keeping my bottle and maybe I will order one more before it is pulled down.

ETA: grammar

Edited by ifinena

This is really pretty -- soft, ethereal, and not too sweet. It is a decidedly sweet and feminine scent, but nowhwere near as overpoweringly so as it could have been with those notes in it. The musk and sandalwood are strong enough to ground it in a soft, gentle warmth that keeps the flowers from going into overkill.

The overall feel is a bit reminiscent of Antique Lace, and maybe to a lesser extent Ouija, but without the Play-Doh edge that the vanilla in Antique Lace takes on, or the slightly-too-floral aspect of Ouija. It does get a bit baby-powdery eventually, but not to a really bad extent.

It's an extremely gentle scent, with very little throw -- it would probably be a good pick to wear anywhere where you didn't want to come across as too perfumed.

Grade: B

Why, hellloooo, new favorite! It is a beautiful musk, wrapped in white, with the magnolia dominating. Sure am glad I tried this, now I know at least one bottle needs to be ordered.

In the imp I get almost a plastic-y scent, not at all what I was expecting.

On the plastic vanishes, and it turns into something spicy! Again, not at all what I was expecting, but not in a bad way. Eventually the spiciness softens a bit, and it becomes a soft, vanilla spice almost. I think it's nice, but it doesn't quite mesh with my association with the color white if that makes sense.

In the imp I get a muffled lavender with a sweeter tone. On this scent quickly gets a greenish clean edge. I So want a bottle of this I am wondering how to afford it before it goes away.

Lovely.

This morphs from a very bright, clean and sharp floral that almost has an ozone tang to a very creamy and light musk with a breath of clean florals.

Very pretty and wearable, but could have a little more throw, I have to sniff closely to this. :P

This one totally took me by suprise. I added it to an order on the spur of the moment.

WOW! :P

I don't get any of the lavender others are talking about, but that's just fine. What I do get is lovely musk (my skin always amps musk), sandalwood and magnolia. I am not usually a big floral fan, but this is just breathtaking.

So happy I ordered it!