Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
clover

Tintagel

TINTAGEL

According to legend, the birthplace of King Arthur. The scent of a castle's great hall in the midst of joyous feasting. Spicy mulled wine flowing through the musky heat, warm leather and bright clash of armor, the damp branches of Cornish hawthorn, blackthorn, juniper, English elm and bayberry, and the magical tingle of dragon's blood resin.

Disclaimer: I have been looking forward to this for ages...I am a King Arthur freak. I collect books on Arhturian legend. My favorite book is Le Morte d'Arthur. There was NO WAY I wasn't going to like this....(Thanks to the super-cool minilux for sending it to me!)

First impression: Wow, she's a swarthy one! Swarthy and sweet though...I can definitely sense the dragon's blood resin.

After a few minutes: I'm afraid the cinnamon is taking over. It's really spicy.

A little while after that: Aha! This is downright lovely. Comforting even. The heat has disappeared, and (what I assume are) the hawthorn, blackthorn, elm and bayberry are all peeking out.

Drydown: I'm in love. All of the notes are balanced perfectly. Like I said before, it's comforting...sweet and smooth and just a little bit sexy.

I have to go to Tintagel....

FIRST SNIFF: leather, juniper, spicey cider (in that order)

WEARING IT: very hot, very spicey - i definitely smell the leather and the spicey, cinnamon, mulled wine scent provides a nice background. this, to me, is a great autumn scent.

FINAL VERDICT: it's something i think would be very nice for autumn and that's about it. it's not in my top three, but definitely in my top 15.

In the bottle it smelled very, very candy sweet.

On, it has died down a bit and like the other posters, it has turned very cinnamony. About 5 minutes later, the cinnamon has subsided and I'm left with a very mellow, almost floral scent with the cinnamon coming out in the background.

It reminds me of spiced cider or those kitschy country knick-knack stores my mom used to drag me into when I was a kid.

It would be nice as a room scent for the holidays.

in the vial: A spicy, Christmas-y scent. There's a creamy sweetness in there, too. Spicy cider. This makes me very excited for Autumn/Winter!! :P

on my skin: The juniper makes this even more Christmas-y smelling. This is the perfect holiday scent, in my opinion. :D I'm even more interested in getting hold of some Yuletide now!

I don't know how much of a review this is going to be, cuz I really can't pull out any of the single notes in this blend. If you want one of Beth's truly unique blends, this could be it. It is very different and has good staying power -- both of which are very important to me. It doesn't smell strongly of cinnamon to me. I think I am too busy trying to pick out the other notes that I'm not familiar with, i.e., hawthorn, blackthorn, juniper, english elm and bayberry. To me, the scent is a bit spicy and a bit fruity with a very different aroma to it. If you wear this and think you don't like it, try it again, as it may take your nose a while to get used to it. I wasn't sure about this at first, but after wearing all day, I love it.

This definitely lives up to the description, it is exactly what I had imagined!

It's deep and thick with green woods and leather, but lifted with the spicy wine and sweet dragon's blood notes so it doesn't end up too masculine - true gender-neutral, IMO.

A perfect (modern, romanticised version of a) castle feast! This goes straight into my top 5. Now I want to quaff things :P

Dragon's blood resin can be scary for me as it has a tendancy to override any other scent with it and beat me about the head with that rich, fruity spiced scent. This is not neccesarily bad as I like the smell of Dragon's blood but I like the variety of spins Beth adds to it as well.

That said...Tintagel in it's redness in the bottle made me eep. Sniffing it from the imp, straight Dragon's blood. Erg...okay...

And never have I been quite so glad to persevere through my initial impression. The first few moments of this are decidedly all dragon's blood on me, but the juniper and bayberry kick in and sweeten things up a little. Every so often I get a vague touch of leather and that rich velvet smell of wine.

Medieval halls needed this in the rushes to smell better... what a heady, complex, gorgeous, dear god I'm buying another big one, scent!

Tintagel:

In the imp: DRAGON'S BLOOD!

On my skin wet: CINNAMON!!!!!

At drydown: cinnamon! (but not so loud)...and something else. A very little hint of leather, maybe a bit of wood I don't recognize. It's hard to pick out any particular notes it's blended so well. I was leery of this because of the dragon's blood, which usually projects itself from my skin with a bullhorn. But not this. I can't smell the dragon's blood at all. It's fading after 2 hours, but I didn't put a lot on. I may have to reapply more and see if I can give a better description.

Very intriguing.

I'm in LOVE :P Everything that is my absolute favorite, in one spicey scent.

This starts out very spicey, almost cinnamony on me...then as it dries down it softens to a spicey almost floral berry smell. It has a warm sweetness under the spice. It's everything I thought it would be. This may well be my very first 10ml.

I got lots and lots of cinnamon from this, with the dragon's blood lurking pleasantly in the background all day. There was a burst of wine at the very beginning, but I didn't really get the woods very much. I may try again and see.

This is very autumnal, and somehow it really does evoke a feast: it's spicy in a grand way, if that makes any sense--a great hall rather than a kitchen. (How does Beth DO that? I'm constantly amazed!).

It is indeed gender-neutral, but I think it may be more to Brian's taste--he can pull off the sweet "alcoholic" notes better than I can (I can't do rum, for instance, but he can). However, I will borrow it back from him for holiday festivities, especially if we join the local SCA as we are considering doing. This would be perfect for feasts and merriment when we're in our garb! :P

I received this one as an extra in my last order, and am glad I did. I was curious how the birthplace of Arthur would smell, especially since he went missing from that tarot deck I was trying to get rid of not long ago. I smell the spiced wine, the heat and the leather in quick wisps. It’s a thick scent, syrupy, which comments also on the oil’s red color. It’s a sweet fragrance right now. The dragon’s blood flows in the background, rich and wet. I’m not getting much, if any, of the wood notes, although I do smell some candy cinnamon, like red hots, and a hint of clove. Must just do odd things on my chemistry, which does tend to sweeten things. It’s nothing I would wear, but I do think it’d make a nice candle scent.

Everything everyone has already said in their reviews....except....the main thing I'm getting here is the bayberry. It supersedes almost every other note in this blend on my skin, except perhaps the dragon's blood resin. As a result, it reminds me very strongly of Yule. I'm definitely going to be using this as a room scent, especially during the holidays.

Tintagel

Hm. I seem to have sped through the other notes very quickly to arrive at a subtle fruit/flower smell. By the end of the day I picked up nothing but a powdery femininity. I think I'm going to be one of those "needs to try it twice/thrice" to really get the gist of it.

ETA: name of blend

Edited by darkitysnark

After this dried, Tintagel made me think quite a bit of gingerbread. Warm and spicy, just taken out of the oven. The spice, which is cinnamon and/or nutmeg, actually doesn't bother me very much, because they're not screaming for attention, but lend a warmth to the scent. This is another skin/warmth-pulsating-from-the-skin sort of scent. After an hour or so, the leather is more apparent. It's a red leather, worn under the armor, warm from wear.

in the vial: a soft-spoken cinnamon. it smells like the aftertaste of cinnamon candy, where the spiciness has faded away and the sugary, light cinnamon taste lingers. i'm not sure about this one.

on my skin, it retains the same smell it had in the vial. the drydown is true to its scent, but the spiciness that seemed to be lost is back. after about 20 minutes, the scent arrives at a warm, fruity smell.

In the vial: First thing I smell is the Dragon's Blood Resin. Consequently, I drool and decide that's the first Bpal oil to try.

Wet: Dragon's blood with something underneath that does, to my amazement (and I don't know why it should amaze me, but it does), smell like leather.

After 10 minutes: the cinnamon starts coming through and the spot where I applied the oil feels warm from beneath the skin, but, of course, isn't when I touch it.

It's going fruity/cinnamony/with a tad of something lurking beneath it right now. It very much reminds me of the Brach's Cinnamon hard candy. I always found that candy strange because it did taste like cinnamon, but a buttery cinnamon. So, that's where I am now, buttery cinnamon fruit with something hidden. And that may be where it stays on me. But, it sure is delightful. :P

Tintagel is a merry scent. It seems to be composed of all top notes: minty pineyness of juniper and other greenery; high sharpness of leather; and the bright juicyness of the wine. After some time, a musky smoke wafts out. I’m not getting any cinnamon, but the wine is a spiced wine for sure. Sigh. I might have liked Tintagel if I liked juniper, leather, and wine. Yes, that’s right, put all the notes I don’t care for in a scent and you wind up with Tintagel. I certainly don't want to smell like a banquet hall. The quest for my holy grail oil continues.

oh wow!

I am in love with this one! I keep taking whiffs of my wrists so deep that my eyes are rolling into the back of my head, haha.

From the bottle I wasn't quite sure what i was smelling, but on it smells like xmas, and wine and cinnamon and musk, and I think I can pinpoint leather. This smells like a big feast and reminds of when my family would all get together for xmas dinners.

Sadly I'm not sure how long this one is lasting one, but i honestly don't care because this is so lovely.

I am certainly gonna buy a big ol' bottle of this!

ETA: This superb aged as well. Almost even better. This is my ultimate holiday scent!

Edited by Lucretia

I tried this one at an imp party, so I don't even own it! Oh sadness, oh grief. I shall have to include this in my next order.

In the bottle: I smell warm mulled wine. I can see a fire in a stone fireplace, with spices and fir boughs.

On: very cinnamon at first, and as it dried a strong citrus/wine scent comes out.

Dry: Cinnamoney citrusey goodness. It never deflated to a powdery scent as the sweeter scents tend to.

I would wear this in the fall and in the winter, and in summer evenings. Or when I wished it was those times. I might have to order a 5 ml of this one.

:P

First Impression: Tintagel...leather. :D

Second Impression: The leather takes a long time to calm down and it is totally ruining this scent for me. It eventually becomes spicy mulled wine with a faint touch of dragon's blood and bayberry. It's really nice once the leather dies down, but it never completely goes away.

Final Analysis: The leather note doesn't agree with me and this one is no exception. I'm gutted, because all the other notes are so nice.

ADDED Sept. 30:

Tintagel revisited: I tried and swapped my first imp, too much leather. I generously received another imp in today's order. It looked quite a bit lighter in color and slightly less viscous in the vial so I thought I should give it a try.

First Impression: Juicy dragon's blood and mulled wine.

Second Impression: I was right. It's different this time. I'm only getting the faintest impression of leather that is just adding some background of warmth. Dragon's Blood, warm mulled wine, bayberry.

Final Analysis: I'm really pleased that I got a second chance with this. The nature of Beth's creations allows for variations and I'm thrilled with this one. I will enjoy wearing this scent for fall and winter. Wonderful :P

Edited by Shollin

okay, this is my first review. this is also the first bpal scent i've taken on to wear at work all day. it's going to be in the 80s today and this is making me wish for 20 degrees cooler. it's an autumn smell. people have mentioned cinnamon but i don't really smell it. yes, it's spicy, but in the way that mulled wine is spicy. i think i'm going to be a big fan of dragon's blood resin - it's such a warm, comforting smell on me. i have no idea where the wood and other notes are - my nose is not yet skilled enough to pick them out! but i can't stop sniffing my wrists, which isn't going to go over well at the reception desk, and i love the way this scent sort of closes in around me. it's masculine, yet fragile, if that makes sense.

If you found an old, dusty jar of mulling spices hidden in a dark forgotten corner of a cabinet, opened it and inhaled it would smell just like Tintagel.

On me it is a very dry cinnamon, dry but warm. At first the cinnamon is the only discernable note, but it deepens and softens. I get hints of wine and leather and something woody, but only hints. It's still spicey but in a cozy way, I shall definitely try it as a room scent.

Tintagel

I got this in a swap from Hadaverde - thanks!

Preconceived notions: Everything with dragon's blood is on my wishlist. So is everything with wine, leather, and juniper. Not only that, but I like woody foresty scents, which includes the hawthorn, blackthorn, and English elm... How could I not like this? Even the bayberry is a foresty scent, at least in my mind... One of the reasons juniper is on my list is that I sometimes park next to a juniper bush when I go to the book store. One day, as I got out, I could smell it, and fell in love. Since then, that parking spot is my favorite, and I call it the "juniper parking spot".

Testing it (twice and more):

First time:

In the vial, first time: Oh my God, this smells *exactly* like Rose d'Anjou (one of my favorite wines: a fruity rose with a lot of spice)

On me:

First impressions: juniper and wine, with something sharp (the leather?) and I am getting some dark woods holding it up.

30 min. later: Is there vanilla in this? I smell something warm, sweet, and soft (and for me, dragon's blood is *not* sweet, but maybe Beth's dragon's blood *is*). The wine is less prominent, but the juniper is still going strong.

50 min. later: The wine is back.

(second time)

In the vial: ooh, dragonsblood and juniper!

On me:

First impressions: There's a wonderful dance going on between the juniper, the dragon's blood and the wine: the dragon's blood gives depth and spice to the wine, the wine sweetens the juniper, and the juniper adds a bitter sharpness to the dragon's blood. The best of all three. Wow. I knew I liked this the first time, but now I know I love it.

Throughout the day: This is a powerful, strong, RED scent. I had forgotten entirely about the woody notes when I wore it today, but for some reason I kept getting the impression of a dark red forest. As in, imagine a forest - a very dense forest with a lot of really old trees. Now, put on garnet glasses as in the Wizard of Oz - this is a dark, bloody red color, not ruby. Then, add the sweetness and gaity of wine and a sharp, strong note (juniper). And though I said this is a dark red, and not a 'bright' red, it *is* bright in the sense that it is very bold, and very strong. The woods, while I can't pick them out directly, are not a mysterious, haunted woods, but simply an old, dark, dense woods, the wildness of such woods, rather than the mystery. They also give it a very solid backbone. Seriously, I thought that nothing could stand in my way today. I felt extremely confident. It dried quickly to the point where only I could smell it, and only if I pressed my nose to my wrist, but it stayed on all day at that lightness. I wish it stayed at the stronger level longer. I didn't get much change in the quality of the scent, but it's true that different notes would vie with each other for prominence. Still, we're talking once a minute or so, not once after 15 or 30 minutes.

Sniffs wrist: wow, I took a shower, used some wonderful Darkswan soap, and my wrist still smells of Tintagel. That's 16 hours! I just wish it was stronger, so that I didn't need to sniff my wrist if I wanted to smell it... Ah well, that's usual for Black Phoenix oils...

Tried Tintagel last night, and it was absolutely lovely! I got this for my brother because he's a King Arthur fanatic but I just might keep it for me!

In the bottle: I smell a spicy sweetness

On me: Warm comforting spice. As others have mentioned a very autumnal scent, fantastic for the weather we've been having of late. The nights are cool and even the days have cooled off. This scent eventually fades to a floral sort of (at least, it was floral when I woke up). I'll have to try this during the day when I can sniff my wrist more. I think this one's a keeper!

Wow. Another incredibly evocative scent!

When I first read its description, I could picture very clearly the athmosphere the Lab wanted to convey, but I certainly did not expect to be able to smell all the notes mentioned. Well, once again I was wrong. Tintagel does exactly what it says. It is all there: the leather, the metal, the mulled wine, the feasting, the laughter.

Incredible.

To me this is the very smell of autumn, but it is also a scent that I associate closely with friendship. Maybe I am influenced by the banquet hall description, but Tintagel makes me feel like inviting my closest friends for dinner at my place and spending a warm, conforting evening in their company.

Strangely enough, Tintagel is not an oil that I would spontaneously put in my Top 10, but I find myself drawn to it all the time. It is now the third day in a row that I wear it and I know that tomorrow I will have to force myself to wear something else. otherwise I will never try my other samples. A big bottle might very well become a necessity soon!

Edited by Ishtar