Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Blood: expressing passion, will, and a sensual aesthetic.
Dragon's blood resin, helichrysum, burgundy wine grape, red musk, opoponax, red poppy, myrrh, carnation, tonka, almond, mimosa, jonquil, and neroli.

Even though it's not listed, I get pomegranate and strawberry on first sniff, then the almond brings a cherry-ness to it. It's definitely a sweet, chrystaline red scent.

Taken by the comparisons to Bloody Mary, I decided to give this a go in swaps. I have been familiarizing myself with the different things Dragons Blood can do on my skin...sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Wet in the bottle this is powerful DB with something medicinal dancing in the back. I think it's the Myrrh, as I have identified that one as a soapy perpetrator to my nose. I am not familiar with Jonquil, but a quick search tells me that it's Narcissus or what we sometimes call Buttercups. Wet on my skin the cherries really scream and compete for the top spot with Dragon's Blood. No sign of Buttercups or Neroli's usual citrusy presence.

The drydown gives way to a thick, heady wine scent that I can't decide on...No florals really, just a massively incensey cherry-fest. In spite of all of this, I *think* I smell Blood at the heart of this blend. It is powerful, erotic and what I would classify as a sex-scent. My hormones are doing the weirdo boogie right now, and I'll probably amend this review slightly once I figure out if this is "like" or "love". ALSO, note to self: this is not a "slathering" scent! Very strong throw and wearlength. Used sparingly it is smoldering...more than a dab is antagonistic, both to my own nose and that of anyone in a ten-foot radius.

woah, blood phoenix is pungent. smells like cake and dimetapp... no thank you!

First Sniff: Sweet grapes, almond and carnation,

On skin: I definitely smell burgandy wine grapes, mingled with dragon's blood, almond, tonka and carnation. The sweetness comes from red musk and mimosa, and there is a dry quality to Blood Phoenix.

Dry Down: The wine grapes along with red musk and dragon's blood, seems to get a heavy, thick scent and Feel. The sweetness of the musk simmers while Neroli and tonka are more dominant now. I can't smell carantion anymore and the myrrh is trying to make an appearance.

Final Thoughts: Overall a lovely blend. I was worried at first with the sweetness and florals, but as it dried down they went away and I was left with a heavy, heady red wine tinged with dragon's blood, red musk, tonka and neroli.

Edited by Schmoozy

Bottle: All cherry

Wet: I get grape & almond

Dry: now the blood, musk, wine notes intermingle with fruitiness with a hint of floral

Very yummy scent. :P

Wow, I really get the grape/strawberry on dragon's blood. This is a sweet, spicy scent. Sweet, but not in the sugar way. I wish I got more of the florals in this one...

First sniff: In the bottle, it’s an enormous, screamingly red cherry reined in just a bit by deeper notes.

Wearing: The waft is all sweet cherry/almond, while the deeper bits, the musk and resins, cling very close to my wrists.

Ok, this is one of those blends I sniffed at will call a year ago, was interested in, never purchased, and now it's been like, haunting me. I don't even really remember how it smells, but I KNEW I needed to try it again before desperately pursuing a bottle.

In the imp this is ZOMG. Better than I remember-rich sweet/sexy adult grape. Mmmmm!!!

On my skin it definitely blossoms and gets more complex. The Dragon's blood and neroli really come out a lot more. Very musky as well. I kind of miss that fresh sweet tart grapiness of the wet scent.

Phew. Ok, this is why I wanted a decant of this. That wet smell is gorgeous and amazing, but on my skin it becomes a rather powdery blah neroli/dragon's blood with whiffs of incense and grape. Totally fell flat on my skin!

I think this could be AMAZINGLY gorgeous on the right person, but my skin just ate up the yummy!

The imp smells as if I'm holding a vial of grape juice..

As it is drying down I start ti smell myrrh and a hint of almond in addition to the grape juice. After a while it smells like a strange mix of grape and cherry (assuming the almond) cough syrup. Give it a little longer, and you can mix that syrup blend with baby powder.. ugh, no thanks.

In the bottle: I can smell the dragon's blood and something else sweet! Probably the grape.

Wet: Ooh, it smells like an older brother of Purple Phoenix. Like it has grown up and become mature and started wearing scents to attract ladies rather than smelling like sweet candy.

I think the tonka and almond are coming through in the background.

Drying: Unfortunately there's a hint of antiseptic coming through! Nooo, I was enjoying it! :(

Dry: Yup, antiseptic with a hint of grape. Boo.

Blood Phoenix

In the Vial: Dragon's blood and something... purpley. Ah yup, the burgundy wine grape. And the red musk.

Wet: Red musk, something sharpish (is that the red poppy?), hint of the almond for sure, and something that comes across to me as 'dusty.'

Drydown: Ooh, some neroli! The neroli I've tried in other BPAL blends haven't been like this, this to my nose and on my skin, is much more similar to the neroli I love and know from LUSH. :P

Verdict: Ultimately, it turns into red musk + neroli, which while really nice, isn't something that I'd reach for and use up. Time for this decant to find a new home. :)

In the decant, I'm getting what is a sweet, dark, fruity scent, really similar to what Bloody Mary was in the bottle. Once on my skin, I'm getting what I think is a floral dragon's blood with a wine undertone, with a bit of almond. Really, really good. Going to the DISOs, now.

Edited by Venneh

I was lucky enough to receive a decant of this as a frimp, so I had to test it out! I wasn't very taken by the name ("blood phoenix" makes me think of sharp metallic notes that are headache-inducing for me), but the notes sounded intriguing.

Wet: lots of grape/wine prescence, with a good deal of sugar. Not necessarily candied grapes, but a sweet wine, definitely. I'm not getting much, if any of the florals, though I was hoping for some spicy carnation goodness. No almond that I notice, either.

Dry: this scent morphs quickly on me. It loses a lot of the sweet grapey-ness and turns more floral. I almost get something like rose, with spices added. The almond is coming out a little more, though I don't think it's very prominent.

This scent makes me think of being on a date at a nice restaurant: you can smell the bouquet of flowers on the table along with a freshly-opened bottle of wine, with just a hint of perfume from someone passing by. Overall, it's a little too floral for me, but it's a well-rounded scent that could certainly hold its own with traditional perfumes.

ITI: This smells a bit like grape cough syrup, but I can discern the Dragon’s Blood resin and the wine grape.

Wet: Grape, dragon’s blood, almond, and powdery floral, which might be the poppy or the carnation. The grape fades as it dries, but the scent as a whole is a bit overpowering.

Dry: Dragon’s blood, boozy grape, carnation, and a little tonka. It’s spicy, but I like my dragon’s blood a little tamer ow in harmony with the rest of the scents. On my skin, the resin overpowers the rest. However, the friend Jacque skin tested it and the scent was citrus-y, light, and floral. I guess her skin eats the dragon’s blood whereas mine showcases it.

Wet, this reminds me of Dragon's Milk. Then the wine note comes out. So this ends up being a spicy, wine, dbr blend on me. Rather nice, and now it reminds me of something else, though I can't think of what atm. A bit like Hellion, maybe. I like this, and will probably use it on occasion. The only complaint is that it gets a bit dusty at times. Not sure what is causing this..