Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Fury

Winter smells and scents, including the perfect winter forest

I love szepassony. Didn't like snow white ---too much coconut. I like fresh winter air, pine trees, cold streams, wet leaves and the sharp bite of storms. Any recommendations? Particularly among the new scents? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I haven't tried any of this year's Yules yet, but it sounds like Archangel Winter might be to your liking: "Crystalline, glassy ice whipped by a snowstorm. Piercing ozone, winter darkness." I'm looking forward to trying The Snow Storm too.

Thanks for your advice! I have ordered Archangel Winter, Snow Storm and Shivering Boy, as well as an imp pack of old loves and potential new loves (Szesspazzony, villain, Olokun, Niflheim, R'Lyeh, tempest). I look forward to my new wintry scents!

You may want to track down an imp of Cloister Graveyard in the Snow, from the Salon series - for me, it's a beautiful interpretation of the solemnity and stillness of a winter's night.

It may not be that great a solution to my Dublin problem but Old Moon is such a gorgeous winter perfume... at least now that I have Old Moon to love, I can alternate it with Dublin and my Dublin will last longer. (And the longer it lasts, the better chance that the Lab will find a source for the stuff that they can't get right now that went into Dublin, or the artisan who supplied them and had to close shop will be opening again by the time I am using the last drop of my Dublin, right? Right? Please tell me it will happen! Hold me...)

Maybe I'm crazy, but last year's Snow Maiden was the perfect winter scent for me. I like Old Moon, I like Mistletoe, but Snow Maiden just smelled like winter and Christmas to me.

Of course, it's not easy to find, and even if you could I would try to hoard it, LOL. :P Just had to go on record saying that.

But Old Moon is pretty good too, and so is the Snow Storm.

Edited by CelestialNM

Hmm. Illuminations used to carry a candle called "Northern Lights" I belive and it was so wonderful!!! My scent hating husband even liked it. Naturally they discontinued it and I've been on a quest ever since for something near to it.

The closest thing I've found is Hemlock. It has a sweet fir quality that is very wintery and cool to me. I just love it.

I'm laughing at myself, I'm wearing Old Moon today and thought, "OMG, this is so good, I have to post about it in that Perfect Winter Scents thread!" Then realized that I had done that exactly a week ago... duh :P

Does anyone remember The Body Shop's holiday LE from about 4 years ago called Snow Flocons? I absolutely love it and am hoarding my lotion and shower gel and wondered if anyone thought that a winter BPAL seemed similar. Of course, I am a few days past the most recent Yule update here, but maybe I can get lucky in the sales posts. *runs off to test Old Moon*

Gosh, I don't, portalkat, but I wouldn't fret about your timing as far as swaps go. You might have missed the Yules coming down from the site, but you're probably right on time for people to begin realizing they don't have to have that 5th bottle of the Snow Storm or The Shivering Boy that they grabbed :P

I'm laughing at myself, I'm wearing Old Moon today and thought, "OMG, this is so good, I have to post about it in that Perfect Winter Scents thread!" Then realized that I had done that exactly a week ago... duh :P

I have to second Old Moon. It is such a gorgeous winter scent and it completely took me by surprise.

Your icon cracks me up.

Does anyone remember The Body Shop's holiday LE from about 4 years ago called Snow Flocons? I absolutely love it and am hoarding my lotion and shower gel and wondered if anyone thought that a winter BPAL seemed similar. Of course, I am a few days past the most recent Yule update here, but maybe I can get lucky in the sales posts. *runs off to test Old Moon*

Oh, I totally remember Snow Flocons! I thought it smelled like snow flakes mixed a little with either coconut or sugar cookies--something sweet and light and creamy.

I think Jolasveinar smells most like Snow Flocons, but it has been a while since I smelled it. :P

What if you layered Snow Flakes with Obatala :D ?

On another tangent--er, topic, I think Death of the Grave Digger is a great Wintery smell with both evergreen trees in the background, snow, cold and ice with a pinch of dirt is TEH Winter scent.

I think Jolasveinar smells most like Snow Flocons, but it has been a while since I smelled it. :P

Wouldn't you know, I don't think that I've ever tried Jolasveinar - Thanks for the suggestion. :D *runs off to search sales posts*

It's kind of an odd choice, but Nocnitsa reminds me immediately of winter pines. It could be that I amp the crap out of pine, but I even mentioned that I would keep it for winter and holidays. Others may amp the moss and dirt notes, though.

My husband is an avid snowboarder and LOVES the great outdoors in winter.

What are your favorite pine/fir/trees/snow scents that have a masculine edge? I have Talvikuu (and will likely hunt him down his own bottle) but am open to other suggestions-- BPAL and otherwise. Help me enable my man with the scent of wintry forests!

Black Forest - Thick, viscous pine with ambergris, black musk, juniper and cypress -- not wintry but really nice velvet forest sexy muskyness (I happen to love this on myself just sos ya know, but it would be divine on guy skin)

and I havent tried it yet, but Ded Moroz sounds like it might be perfect for what you want (golden amber, white amber, redwood, teak, bois du rose, sage, tree moss, and snow)

Edited by CaudaPavonis

Personally Oberon I find to be very alpine forest and is a cold and crisp scent although it technically doesn't have a snow or frost note in it. It doesn't have a wood note either but I get full-on Juniper forest out of it with a very crisp feel. Absolutely no floral notes emerge for me on this one and although I love the scent find it too masculine for me to wear.

Death On A Pale Horse is almost identical to Oberon but less woody with a sharper edge. It definately feels and smells like an icey stream in an alpine forrest. Iced water smacking you in the face is the impression this scent gives me. Absolutely manly enough for a guy to wear. I don't smell any lavender it more just adds to the cold feeling of it.

Apart from that I haven't tried any real snow or frost scents but I'm sure others have.

From the GC, Loup Garou or Jabberwocky might work:

Jabberwocky
(Mad Tea Party) - An earthy yet buoyant scent: pine, eucalyptus and orange.

Loup Garou
(Diablous) - Juniper, cypress and galangal with the barest touch of eucalyptus.

Or you could try layering one of these...

Cloister Graveyard in the Snow
(Salon) - Three white musks, ozone, frankincense, mint.

Death of the Grave Digger
(Salon) - Snow, soil, opoponax and myrrh.

...with one of these:

Black Forest
(Bewitching Brews) - Thick, viscous pine with ambergris, black musk, juniper and cypress.

Nero
(Sin & Salvation) - Rosemary, bay, pine and a touch of lemon.

Nocnitsa
(Diabolus) - Her scent is that of a lightless fir wood, nighttime air, wet forest mosses and upturned earth.

Slobbering Pine
(Rappaccini's Garden) - Dewy, wet, whiplike and sticky.

Danse Macabre was very piney when I tried it, though the actual note is black cypress, and in my opinion it's on the masculine side of gender-neutral. It's the only evergreen I've tried thus far that hasn't gone sweet "potpourri pine", the frankincense sharpens it I think. I haven't tried any straight snow scents yet, but it sounds like some of the yules this year might fit your bill.

I'm also remembering now that though I haven't gotten ahold of it yet, many of Death of the Gravedigger's reviews mention a piney note as well as the snow even though it's not listed. I'm looking at the first page now and people are comparing it to talvikuu.

I like The Snow Storm, which is an LE but seemed to make up for missing Talvikuu--very wintry and at least a bit foresty. :)

Oh, definitely Death of the Gravedigger. It's pretty much exactly what you're looking for, plus a shot of myrrh to sweeten it. And Black Forest isn't snowy, it's all dark and resinous, but it's also pretty awesome.

I also suspect that Gacela of the Dark Death, from the Yules, might be pretty close to what you're looking for.

I wear Black Forest in the winter. I would definitely call it gender neutral. It smells like pine/balsam trees with no "snow". I love to wear it at the holidays especially when I'm out walking in the woods or decorating for the holidays. I just got a bottle for the upcoming season; I used up a bottle last winter. [i slather] Good luck on your decision.