Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
violetflower

Fairy Wine

An ethereal vintage, steeped with dandelion, honey, and red currants.

In the imp, this smells fruity with just a hint of greeness.

Wet on my skin, the red currants are the more dominant note, but I can smell the dandelions keeping the oil from going completely fruity sweet.

As it dries, it smells more boozey and fruity floral.

Must get bottle! :P

This actually smells really good...I need to consider a bottle.

I can pick out all the notes in this one but mostly its dandelion and a faint mixing of honey and current. It makes me think of being ouside on a warm summer day, far from streets and cars. Just outside enjoying the sun and the smell of the outdoors in a field of dandelions.

In the bottle: very gentle, very sweet, yet with a note of sharpness

Wet: the red currants are the top note, but the honey is there as a middle note, grounding the currants into a lovely sweet wine scent, more like a sweet but light red wine than anything else that I can think of. That sharp note seems to have disappeared--was that the dandelion?

The dry-down: more honey and more red currants, melding softly together. This is what a red wine from Faerie ought to smell like. :) One would possibly like to taste such a vintage.

More later, once it's had time to work longer on me. I will say that the Lab's honey note is one that seemingly works well on my skin.

EDIT: it's four hours later, and here's what happened during that time. The honey and currants stayed in their lovely combination, and for a little while, when I put nose to wrist, there was much later a sharp green scent, which must be the dandelion. But that soon went away. It's now dried to a powdery, light musk, with a hint of the honey and currants. I wish that it lasted longer, but I adore the oil so much that I'll just slather it on and more often. :)

Edited by thekittenkat

This starts out pretty juicy on me. The red currants and honey are definitely in the driver's seat here. It gets almost candy-like for a little while. The dandelion comes out in the drydown and grounds everything beautifully. The resulting scent is exactly what I think of when I think of anything fae. It's beautiful, but I'm not sure how often I would reach for this.

Wet: Fruity wine.

First on: Spicy fruit.

Dry: Same on drydown. Nothing very special about it, but it's a pleasant smell.

Initially applied, Fairy Wine is a breath of honey and dandelions. As it dries down, another floral emerges through the dandelion for a second, but not for long--I'm shortly smelling only honey-wine with a slight tinge of dandelions.

Over time, this remains a scent of honey and fresh florals (not the overwhelming kind that amp out of control). It's very nice! I'm getting mostly honey, but honey with a floral quality to it, like a good single-flower honey.

Recaplet: Honey and dandelions; sweet and fresh.

My rating: 4 of 5 (I really like this!)

Color impression: Pure golden liquid.

This is the scent I wear when I go out to this park not too far from my apartment. For some reason it brings to mind laying out on the grass by the creek and listening to music or reading or just laying in the sun. It's a nice late spring/early summer scent. I mainly smell dandelions and berries and don't pick up much of the honey note. It has good throw and lasts an hour or two on me.

In the bottle: very sweet, ripe fruit.

On me: Turns to mulled wine on me. Delicious, but I think it's more of a winter scent for me. Or a rainy day scent. I still had it on going to bed and when I woke up it had faded, which is a good thing because it turned to sour wine. So, definitely have to wash it off before it goes to uck like that.

Overall: Good fruity, boozy, spicy scent. Glad that I got a bottle of it, but I think that a bottle is all I will want.

In the imp: Fruity fruity fruity winey winey winey flowery flowery flowery! This is strong stuff.

On my skin, wet: Mmmm, the currants are coming out, kept summery and fresh by the dandelion... I think the honey MIGHT not be turning on me! This is totally a first!

On my skin, dry: This is staying very balanced, and just lovely. Definitely a springy scent---I might have to upgrade this to a bottle!

This reminds me very much of the 2008 Lupercalia The Flower Song but a pinker slightly fizzier sweeter version; it's like a younger bubblier sister.

I get a good deal of wine, a bit of dandelion, and really no honey at all -- it's very mead-like, yes, but I can't actively detect the honey note. Very well-blended.

:)

Weird. This is not what I was expecting at all. I thought that the dandelion would be more prominent, maybe a hint of spice or something...This is reaaallly sugary sweet white or rose wine with a strong white rose note and an almost indiscernable breath of dandelion. It's almost candyish....

Further testing will be required.

Fairy Wine

Hey! This smells like wine! Sour at first, probably because of the dadelion and red currant, it morphs to a sweet, fruity honey wine.

This smells exactly like the description. A gorgeous fruity wine - not a red wine, much more like a light rosé. Wet on the skin, it went through a moment of soapiness, which I assume was the dandelion trying to turn on me, but the red currant and honey took charge, making the dandelion behave itself much more.

The throw isn't particularly long, but it fades slowly from a wonderful fruity-honey-wine to a faint mixture of honey, dandelion, and a touch of red currant. Very wearable, and I'm very pleased that I caved and threw an unsniffed bottle of this into my most recent order. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that like actual wine, this will only improve with aging.

Bottle: Strong white wine. It actually smells almost exactly like a wine I had at a tasting a few weeks ago.

Wet: Still really strong white wine but also a touch of dandelion greenery. Odd combo.

Dry: The wine note calms down to the point where I don't feel like I smell like I'm coming off a bender. It's there but it's less potent and less screamingly WINE! I get more of the dandelion note which is pretty but also a bit sappy and bitter. The currants are definitely the top note and they're giving this a lovely fruity quality. It's almost effervescent in a way.

Throw: Heavy.

Overall: I like it but it's not my bag. The alcoholic drydown gives me a bit of the old college queasy hangover feeling and it doesn't make the eventual drydown worth it. I like my lighter scents to meld with my skin rather than sit on my skin and this feels more like something just sitting on my chemistry. I get it and I think it evokes the concept wonderfully but it is just not doing it for me.

I like this one a lot. Sparkly sharp white wine, greenery, not too sweet. There's a hint of dandelion in there, with an almost sticky quality, like dandelion sap.

In the Bottle: This was my first “blind” purchase, i.e. a bottle that I just went for because of the description and the fact it was from one of the Neil Gaiman-inspired lines. (He’s my favorite author in the world, thank you BPAL for giving crazy fans another outlet for their writer obsessions, classical or otherwise.) I liked all the notes listed so I figured I’d try and it out and see how things went. I’m glad I bloody well did. First whiff of this and it was nostalgia city, holy crap, what is that ever so familiar smell? Dandelion! It’s amazing, just as if I’d went out in the backyard when I was six or so and made my own mini bouquet.

Wet: More dandelion, but I’m getting traces of honey now. It’s fruity and sweet, but reminiscent of mead in a very bright way. Doesn’t weigh you down in the least, it’s like stepping out into the fresh air on a sunny day and smiling as you realize a group of friends are having a picnic down the way. They’re in a lush field full of the cheery yellow flowers, and sharing a delicious drink to pass the time while laughing amongst themselves. This is just the thing a playful little fae creature would love.

Dry: Finally I’m getting the currant, yessss. One of my most adored notes ever. It’s making this so rich and lovely. The “brew” is now even more full-bodied, as if a secret ingredient emerged and came together to create the perfect blend of maturity – the royal reserve and beauty of Titania, the fairy queen, Oberon’s kingly grace, coupled with the teasing and mischievous natures of their many subjects.

Verdict: It’s love. I’m so glad my first foray into unimpables was a success. Just goes to show that sticking with notes you enjoy is a good plan, though this was even more interesting and fun than I’d imagined. Will be keeping the bottle to myself!

Rating: 5/5

Mmmm. Delicious. This is definitely red currant wine sweetened with honey. Immediately upon application it kinda sparkles and feels very bubbly, almost like champagne. The green of the dandelions adds an earthy element, and helps to soften the sweetness of the currants and honey.

Overall a beautiful blend.

Dark, mashed golden red fruit with dandelion and a whole lot of crystalline honey. I want a wine that tastes like this smells. :yum:

Unfortunately, my skin chemistry really tends to flatten fruit scents and strip out all the richness. Fairy Wine does not go plasticy or candy-like, as some fruits tend to, but it loses depth the more it dries on me. It's still very pleasant, but I'm saddened by the way this changes.

ETA: The honey eventually starts to make up for the loss of complexity in the fruit, and turns the whole thing into a luscious honey and milky green dandelion scent. Wow.

Edited by Aldercy

I bought this one blind, on a whim... and I am so glad I did, its absolutely stunning.

In the wet stages, I get boozy honey.. which isnt an oddity for me since I amp both.. and I kind of feared that was all she wrote..

But then on drydown its a sweet, fruity, girlish, boozy scent.

Its very soft and pretty.

I also got this one on a whim. I was kind of nervous about it, but I love it! The dandelion, currant, wine...it has a very magical appeal to it (which it should). Very pretty and perfect for spring and summer. If the note appeal to you, I highly recommend it. I can't wait until it gets warm enough to wear this.

Hm, thought I'd reviewed this one but I guess not. It didn't go so well, to be honest. My skin doesn't really take to the wine note too well so I had an inkling this would be disaster. Strong wine scent with the normal sour-ness that always shows up on my skin balanced by a sticky sweet sugar and fruit. Not for me, but it went to a good home :)

This smells exactly like the notes listed and I love it. :wub2: It's sweet, fruity wine with dandelions and honey. It's not too boozey and not too grapey. The dandelions give it a touch of green, which I'm learning that I really like when it comes to florals. I find it's got a very long wear and is still very noticable after a full day, morning to night.

This was the first Gaiman I tried, and I kind of love it. It is first a honey wine scent. Once the honey and wine settle in there is the greeness of the dandelions, and a slight sweetness from the currants. Dry it is less wine, but it is currants and dandelions dipped in honey.

My first Neil Gaiman scent thanks to my loving boyfriend!

In the Bottle: Sweet red honey and berries. I want to drink it!

Wet: Stays true. Doesn't really morph. The honey stays close to my skin and doesn't turn musky. The berries don't go sugary sweet.

Dry: Doesn't last long. My skin eats up fruity scents, but I love them so! Really an ethereal wine.

Overall: I wish this lasted longer! Beautiful, sweet red scent. I thought this would be too sweet and would morph to a musky honey smell with overly, sickly sweet berries. But it stays true wine and tart/sweet currants. Love it!

Wet: Wine! Luscious, red fruity wine. Yum.

Dry: The red fruit fades fast on me, leaving a dry, sparking white wine.

Later: After about an hour, all the wine and sparkle fade and leave behind dandelion and perhaps a tiny hint of honey. The dandelion is pleasant, but nowhere near as nice as the wet scent. I wish this didn't morph on me, as I adore the wet scent of it. Even the initial drydown is great, although a letdown. But thorougly dry, it's just not worth it. *sigh*