Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
violetflower

Fairy Wine

Mr. Bromios had set up a wine-tent and was selling wines and pasties to the village folk, who were often tempted by the foods being sold by the folk from Beyond the Wall but had been told by their grandparents, who had got it from their grandparents, that it was deeply, utterly wrong to eat fairy food, to drink fairy water and sip fairy wine.

An ethereal vintage, steeped with dandelion, honey, and red currants.

This is the first review of Fairy Wine, I hope I have done it right!

In the bottle I can smell the dandelion, honey and red fruits! It smells beautiful, all complimenting each other!

Wet: It smells on my skin the way it smells in the bottle, it hasn't morphed at all, I can smell those three notes.

Dry: Dandelion and honey! :P I can't smell the red currants anymore, which I don't mind, because this is still a beautiful blend!! I am soooo glad I have another bottle of this on the way! :D

I would say that the throw is medium on me, and it last for about two hours, I wished it lasted longer, but I don't care, it is just so beautiful, I can just reapply!

FAIRY WINE

WET: In the bottle this has a kick of effervescence, much like the initial fizz that I get from Christmas Rose, Glitter, or Pruno. Behind that I detect a warm, almost mead-like honey wine with fruits.

DRY: On my skin this starts out much the same. There is an effervescent, bubbly, dry white wine scent. This is a light fruit wine, not a heavy dry red. The honey makes this smell like mead and I detect some light fruits: red fruits, white grapes, currant. They swirl together almost seamlessly. The dandelion in this is awesome! It brings a bright but almost herbal quality to this and keeps the effervescence and wine and honey from being too "high" of a scent. In other words, it grounds the scent without being actually earthy. Fairies can't have that, you know.

The dandelion aspect in this scent brings to mind an expansive clearing through the trees, with tall wild green grass and random wild blooms strewn about. There is an etheric playfulness present in this blend and it fits the fairy bill so very well.

sniffed from the bottle:

whoa-this-stuff-is-strong! smells like bittersweet cranberry cordial!

on skin: things calm down quite a bit and smell a bit like a LUSH store...especially HIWTK or Flying Fox (but without the jasmine-ick)....i get whiffs of wild honey and dandelions, although instead of my brain telling me i'm smelling dandelions, my brain tells me i'm sniffing "meadow"

i'll admit i'm not entirely certain what currants smell like, red or otherwise, but i get occasional wafts of cherry-candy (that red flavour that isn't really cherry).

overall, not for me but very interesting and quite elegant.

In the bottle, Fairy Wine is currants in honeyed wine. It smells deep red and delicious. On my skin, the dandelions somewhat take over, and the other beautiful notes fade into the background. It still smells lovely, but I'm a little disappointed that the currants and wine aren't more prominent. Fairy Wine is a heady yet fresh scent that is poised between seductive and playful. Don't pass this one by if you like dandelions!

In the imp: Wine -- huge surprise there :P

Wet: Hm, this is way less liquor-y than the last wine-y scent I tried. The last one I tried was all "ALCOHOL!", and this one's way more subtle and sweet. I can catch a whiff of the dandelion trying to poke through, too.

Drying: Boy, this is really nice. It seems to be staying pretty true, too -- grapey wine, but sweet and tasty-smelling without the overpowering alcohol smell of actual wine, and with just a hint of dandelion.

This one's just like the description--honeyed, fruity wine, with the dandelions popping in to add a little green note there. It's nice and reminiscent of Athens on me, although I like this better! Strong throw too.

I'd never wear this in cold weather but I may revisit it when summer comes around again.

In the decant: Sweet, light, fruity, candylike.

Wet: A big blast of honey, grape, and currant.

Drydown: Like all of the new Gaimans I've tested so far, this lies on top of my skin for a surprisingly long time, making the honey really prominent. Yet it's not quite, to me, like any of the other honey blends -- it has this lightness and bubbliness that really evoke the scent picture. I know this sounds rather vague, but Fairy Wine has the Salon-like quality of having notes so well blended that they're hard to distinguish; each is an excellent complement for the next. While it's still in the slick-on-skin stage, it seems to calm down and morph from white to red wine, but that candylike layer is still there in the throw.

Verdict: Yummy. It really, really smells like its name, although I agree with Ravenclaw79 that it's not a boozy wine -- more Centzon Totochtin's level of booziness than, say, that of Fortunato.

For me, this is light and candy like. I was hoping for more of the ethereal quality that Fairy Market has. I do get hints of honey and dandelion, with just a sharp edge of booziness.

I love this scent when I first put it on. It reminds me of being little and making "soup" in the yard with my cousins. We lived in the country and would mash up blackberries, raspberries, polk berries, and wildflowers all together. Fairy Wine smells like sunny dandelions mashed into fruitiness. It is definitely boozy, but it doesn't smell bitter, dark, or rotten as wine notes usually do on me. It smells more like a berry vodka spritzer with a low alcohol percentage than wine. Berries, lovely dandelions, and booze. I think the dandelion smells so awesome paired with sweeter, fruity notes.

Unfortunately, this scent loses a lot of its charm for me after 15 minutes or so. This reminds me a lot of Harvest Moon 06 for a bit (which I love), in that it has a sort of dying field grasses/wildflowers & fall feel to it. This is a lot sharper than HM06 though. It gets a dry, sharply perfumey, slightly powdery, musk-like presence that dominates the scent. The sweetness fades away and I get a soured wine note too, smelling like unripened, unsweetened fruit. The sweet fruits and dandelions disappear completely. After wearing it for 2 hours it's nothing but a dry, high pitched, sharp sort of muskiness.

I love the whimsical, cheery opening of this, but I hate the sharp drydown. I won't be keeping my decant...

In bottle/imp: Tangy, green berry honey.

Immediately on skin: I get a lot of sweet berry from this at first, but it’s not really currant. It’s rather tangy and green. It smells like a drink though… not like wine really, but something bubbly and nose-tickling. This is extremely well blended, and I really can’t pick out any of the individual notes.

After a few minutes: This scent has really bloomed nicely on my skin. The honey has come out but it’s not overly sweet and it blends with a subtle green floral note and currants. It now smells exactly like I would have guessed from the description.

Overall Impressions: This is such a lovely scent… it smells like something you’d really drink, whipped up by a forest-dwelling bartender. It’s sweet but a little floral, green and fruity, with a nice bit of honey stirred in. It’s very pretty and refreshing.

Edited by Delirium1009

Oh my. Sparkling wine, fruity honey and fresh flowers. *swoon* The wine is golden, mead-like, beautiful; the honey is rich and dark; the flowers are wild and heady.

I think I might actually be allergic to this, because I started sneezing like crazy after applying it, but I don't care and I will find a way to wear this anyway. It's that gorgeous.

It fades intriguingly, blending smoothly with the natural scent of my skin, so that it smells like I've been lying in a field of red summer flowers.

Absolutely beautiful.

straight sniff from bottle is, indeed, dandelion wine :D

once applied this gets a touch bitter...and more boozy with a honey note...buttery even...

then loads of honey again...yay :P

the sillage is less than average for me...the scent itself makes up for this in the

uniqueness alone...

i am thrilled to own a bottle of this and will treasure it ... bittery, buttery...superb!!

I wanted to add that Fairy Wine smelled just like a newly opened bottle of Ice Wine (an extremely sweet dessert wine). It does smell like dandelions, and honey and that faint mead-ish scent. I love ice wine, it's one of my favorite alcoholic beverages and now I'll never open a bottle without thinking of Beth. This quickly took over as my favorite bpal scent.

The throw is low to medium. If I press my nose against my wrist I can detect a whiff, but after a couple hours of strong shopping it disappeared quick. This will do well as a personal scent, if you want to be discrete or in a work place that discourages perfumes.

FAIRY WINE

In Bottle: Honey!

On Skin: Oh wow, there’s my honey!!! Full on!!! The red currants are next, a bit winey in tone and slightly tart, an interesting contrast. The dandelion is very soft, a grassy background note. I can’t believe more people aren’t talking about this scent, it is gorgeous!!! Bottle worthy for sure. I wish it was a bit stronger… but I’ll just slather. It’s a slightly floral honey scent with a sprinkle of wine. A perfect sunny day! You must try this! Light to medium throw, average wearlength.

so far I've had no luck with the Stardust scents and I was hoping Fairy Wine would change that, but....maybe not, which is sad because I really really wanted this one to work.

In the bottle, sweet, sweet, sweet like candy. Not honey, but some gooey red candy. Achingly sweet, in fact. When i put it on, luckily some of that sweetness disappates and I get a whiff of honey, and it is like this honey liquor I had in Poland: Miod, which is sweet and syrupy, not like the other kind of mead. I like honey, but this has none of the lightness or effervescents I expected.

After a bit, it calms down, but I don't get the dandelions :P When it dries down completely, it fades away, leaving only honey and berry sweetness which is more appealing than the candy stage.

I just wanted more from this, I guess.

Wow this is just lovely! Pretty much a perfect combination of dandelion, honey and red currant each in its equal part. I absolutely love those 3 notes, so how could I go wrong with this one? There is a definite boozy, drunken base to the blend which blends beautifully with the fabulous honey note the lab uses. The dandelion is so sweet and certainly lends the blend a "faery folk" feel. This is pretty much exactly how I would imagine a fairy wine to smell! Spot on!

Love it, would buy a bottle! :P

Fairy Wine

In the imp: mmm, this smells like honey and elderflower cordial, a drink I call 'fairy juice', funnily enough.

Wet on skin: now I smell dandelions and redcurrants, along with sugar plums and honey water.

Dry on skin: ooh, I love this. This really does smell like what I'd imagine a fairy drink to smell like. It's not boozy, but it's a very juicy smell, wet, fresh and fruity-floral. The honey is delightfully sweet but with a watery quality reminiscent of honeyed herbal tea, especially with the hint of dandelion (not as strong as the dandelion in One to Tie). And the currants are perfect-they are sweet, but not too sweet. I also smell other fruits here, like sweet red grapes and something that could be plum.

After a while: mmm, this one gets better. It gets fruitier, and I also smell more of the honey. It also smells richer and fuller. This is like Roadhouse, but much, much nicer. It doesn't have that nasty beer smell, that's replaced with a classier wine note. Nor does it smell like tobacco, but the honeyed dandelion is similar. This also reminds me of that wonderfully festive (that's festive in a summer festival way) honeyed sweetness I got from Litha, though this one is a lot more fruity and sweet. I now want to drink something that tastes like this one smells. It sweetens more and more over time, but doesn't over-sweeten.

The scent moves between smelling of a honey infusion to a delectable fruit juice mix and back again. this scent will be absolutely perfect for summer.

Verdict: I should have known…I might as well get a bottle of every scent with fairy associations because most of them are fantastic. This is no exception. I still think Fairy Market is the best thing ever but this one is a gorgeous scent too. I think this is my favourite dandelion scent in BPAL…most of them go either bitter or soapy on me but not this. This scent smells just like what I’d imagine fairy wine to smell like. It’s not boozy, but it is fruity, juicy, refreshing and joyful in feel. I smell the currants and honey, the honey in here is sweet and non-cloying, the currants aren’t too sour, and there may also be a little bit of grape here too, or some other red fruit? The dandelion is subtle but adds a ‘wildflower cordial’ scent to this wine. It doesn’t last long on the skin but it is wonderful while it lasts. I’ll need a bottle for the warmer months.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes!

If you like this, try: Bordello, Fairy Market, Sagittarius, Midwinter's Eve, Litha, Roadhouse

Imp: fruity sweet wine

Wet: currants & dandelion wine

Dry: Very subtle & lightly sweet. I think I smell currants and dandelion, mostly.

Wow -- I want to drink this, not wear it! It smells delicious, like sweet sparkling wine with an overtone of fresh-cut grass or something equally green. I suppose that's probaby the dandelion.

It's a bit reminiscent of Glitter, but with more of an outdoorsy, fresh feeling, and a subtly mind-altering spin. It smells like something that would taste deceptively sweet and innocent while knocking you on your ass in no time flat. You'd have a sip, then another, then another, and then next thing you know wake up under a hill somewhere, and when you finally found your way back to your own world, a hundred years would have gone by.

Unfortunately, it doesn't stay entirely nice on me... It's not bad on my wrists, but anywhere where it doesn't get as much air (cleavage, crooks of arms) it dries down in a less pleasnt way. There's a soapy sort of note to it that emerges, which I've found in a lot of the scents that have "green" or grassy elements to them, which smells kind of cloying and artificial. If it could have stayed the way it was at the beginning, I'd like it a lot more, but as it is, I ended up finding it sort of annoying.

I guess this is another like Three Gorgons, that seems great at first, but hasn't got a very happy ending. Then again, that's true of most of the tales about fairy wine...

Grade: B-

Edited by Miss Lynx

I think I might have found my Gaiman-based perfume! Finally:) I have gone through Fairy Market, Victoria and Lady Una so far

This is warm, delightful fruit and grass--and kind of smells like raspberry bubble gum:)

ETA: Upon dry down, I do get a sort of chemical, chlorine undertone. It is very very faint, however, and I am so eager to own a Stardust blend that I can overlook it. I love the bottle artwork and I want to actually be able to keep one and wear it! It also smelled okay with snake oil as I put some Western Diamondback on, too;)

Edited by willowtreeling

Fairy Wine? Love it. If it's got honey as a predominant note, I'm all over it. And I like the green, bitter dandelion scent. It's just perfect, this one.

Bottle: Berries and wine

Wet: This is very refreshing for an alcoholic scent! I'm getting the currants and the dandelion, but no honey.

Drydown: This is a great spring type scent. I'm getting red wine, currant and dandelion which makes me feel like I'm sipping wine in a garden!

3.0 outta 5

In imp: Strong! Fruity-sweet, but good dose of yummy wine. Mmm

Wet on skin: It's much sweeter than I had hoped, and not with just the honey (which I like) but also with that amped candy-ness my skin does to most "red/purple" fruits. :P Wine/dandelions are overwhelmed and in hiding. I had such hopes for this one...

Drying: It tones down a lot, smells a lot better dry, and I think the wine and dandelions are poking out. But it's still super sweet. Kind of reminds me of what Bordello does on me, though a little subtler.

Overall, not bad, but I wish the dandelions held their own against the fruit on my skin. Kali is still my fave for a honey/wine scent.

Fairy Wine – Like most wine scents, this turns on my skin to the scent of really strong cider, not wine. I was hoping the honey note would give this a mead-type scent, but my skin hates honey and once again, I get a dirty-diaper scent from the honey. Woodpecker cider and dirty diaper. It’s not my cup of tea, that’s for sure. What a drag skin chemistry is at times because I was really excited about this one and hoped against the odds that it would work on me.

o_o

This has honey in it, and I like it!

A gorgeous, ethereal current wine touched with honey and the tart grassiness of dandelion. It really does smell like a sort of fairy wine :P Pity it doesn't last very long.