Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mamoyer

Ivanushka

Soft, velvety fur and warm musk, brushed by forest woods and dusted by dry leaves.

I totally get where the pickle smell people are mentioning is coming from, but for me it's totally in a background sort of way. Is it just me, or does this smell a little like Doc Buzzard? I might be crazy, but it really smells familiar to me. It really is a lovely, sweet musky scent. It is much like others have described; very sort of woodsy and musky and... I don't know what else to say. I wanted to see if anybody else had noticed a note in common with Doc Buzzard. How odd! I think this one will age beautifully, as well.

UPDATE, from the Hidden Treasures thread:
I'm also posting another LE that seems to be under the radar as far as buzz goes: Ivanushka. OMG. I have been really depressed lately-- to the point of wallowing, which I try to avoid in real life-- Ivanushka is like being wrapped up in a soft, warm blanket of loving love. It is like the universe has paused to wrap me up in all the positive energy it can muster. I can't explain it any better than that, folks. It just rocks.
Edited by cordia

I do smell the pickle in the bottom but not on my skin, instead it's powder but not really strong and something else. I'm not sure what it is but I don't get the fur, forest or musky. I was really disappointed that it didn't work out for me because the story for this is beautiful.

It took me a few times of testing, but I think I rather dig this. As so many others I bought it for the story mainly, as it was one of my favourite fairy tales when I was a child. (It was in a book with beautiful illustrations which I loved dearly. Sadly, the book has been lost for ages.)

So, the scent:

At first it strikes me as a bit perfumey, powdery-perfumey much in the way of that mineral note Beth uses in Black Opal and the like. I'm not sure I like that.

There's a kind of musk, or probably several kinds of musk with a big dose of powderiness and a tad of soft leather which combine to something that does indeed remind of soft fur. I'm still not sure that I like this, besides I'm a bit scared of the leather.

But the leather stays subtle and the perfumey-ness fades a little. I'm not sure I can smell the woods and leaves, but I'm having a cold and my nose is stuffed. I'm sure they are in here somewhere.

In the later drydown then, there's a beautiful warm skin scent when I sniff close. A bit sweet, round, warm, like the loveliest amber or soft musk. If there's black musk in here, it's only a dribble mixed in with what I think must be mainly white and skin musk. Probably those woods are there and make up for a bit of the warmth as well, but I couldn't really say.

That ambery sweetness I get in the late drydown almost reminds me of some other oils, some skin musk or amber oils, maybe Hymn to Proserpine, La Petite Mort, maybe even something Midway-ish about it???? Whatever, keep in mind, that my nose is stuffed, I might be hallucinating this resemblance. But there certainly is something almost resinous sweet and rounded in Ivanushka in the later drydown.

So, I think I love it, and I'd be happy to get another bottle. I'm also sure that it'll age beautifully, that that perfumey powderiness (I might mean a different 'powdery' here than other people do when they say something is powdery) will retreat with time and the scent will be rounded out.

Also, when my mom and dad visited yesterday, after I had doused myself in Ivanushka in the morning, both commented on my perfume, and my mom kind of buried her face in my neck sniffing me wildly - which felt kind of weird tbh (and tickly), but speaks for the scent as she never really shows any such appreciation of the perfume I'm wearing.

this stuff is just gorgeous, soft, powdery...i don't get the pickle or fur smell out of it...i put this stuff on last night before seeing a friend and i can still smell it like 14 hours later....it has some lasting power....almost wishing i would have gotten 2 bottles now...i can see this one being worn a lot.

is there anything in the general catalog that smells like this?

Edited by dawn

I debated hard about whether or not to get a bottle of this, but in the end I decided that it sounded too unique to pass up.

So I was pretty horrified when I smelled pickles upon opening the bottle the first time. I decided to give it a chance, though, and dabbed a bit on my skin.

And...pickles. That's all I could smell for thirty minutes. Just as the pickle started to die down a bit and I thought there might be a chance, the oil seemed to vanish. I mean, seriously, it was GONE. Sniffing between the spot the oil was applied and my bare arm I realized just how strange this scent truly is, because I could tell there was *something* there, but it smelled like nothing. Like I'd put odor neutralizer on that spot or something.

Determined not to give up that easily, I tried it again last night, and it looks like Ivanushka definitely gets better with age. It still smelled like pickles when I first applied it, but after twenty minutes or so it morphed into something that is really quite soft and pretty. The musk came out and played well with the woods in the back of the blend, and there was a snuggly sweetness that reminded me of an expensive powder. Such a morpher!

And yet, when I just put it on now, I'm immediately blasted by pickles. Even though I like the way that this one ends up, I'm not sure that I want to hold on to the bottle. I can't deal with smelling like a Vlassic dill for twenty minutes, regardless of how nice it is later on.

It should be noted that my cousin came over last weekend right after I'd received Ivanushka and decided to smell all my oils. I hadn't mentioned anything about Ivanushka to him, and as he was sniffing each oil he'd make a little comment, "Hmm. Snow White...wow, this is what a girl should always smell like. Hmm...Gingerbread Poppet. This one makes me hungry! *pause, sputter* Oh my GOD, that one smells like a pickle!" I knew without even looking which one he was referring to and just died laughing. I was thrilled to know that it wasn't just me!

i am not sure about this pickle association being described by others?? i get nothing of the sort...

amen! :D

straight sniff from bottle is a barely noticable soft and dusty aroma...seriously...

close to nothingness...

once applied there is a civet note; however, this is the softest, most beautiful civet

i have ever experienced from the lab...

this morphs like crazy...i get some lovely powdery notes and crushed leaves, musk and

civet...this stays very close to the skin but itz more like a poofy little cloud surrounding me...

amazingly warm and indescribably beautiful i am so glad to have a bottle...i will cherish this for the

coldest of winter months...

btw, the label is just gorgeous as well...bang up job through and through.... :P

Edited by sookster

In the bottle:

All sweet musks.

Wet:

Sweet musks and light woods. Not smelling anything even remotely pickle-y. Oh, wait, I spoke too soon... I can sort of see why people are getting pickles, but to me that's not really what it smells like.

Dry:

A well-blended combination of sweet musks and soft woods. I'm actually surprised that I like this.

Soft, powdery, resinous and woodsy all at the same time. This instantly reminded me of Hunter Moon; it has that same velvety undertone with a rich powdery overtone.

This will definitely be a hit with the hubbie, and is a Christmas present for him.

What's with this "pickle" business people keep talking about? To my nose, Ivanushka smells like warm, soft, woodsy musk with a touch of Christmas spice. It makes me feel like curling up by the fire with a cup of hot chocolate and the world's sexiest man.

Mmm....I didn't really expect to like this (as I am not much of a woodsy fan) but this is quite nice!

It's soft and powdery, reminds me of a big warm blanket. I can't really pick out any notes except for some kind of soft musk.

I think this is definitely a need to try to experience blend, and don't be put off if it's not usually your thing :P

In the bottle, I can definitely see where "PICKLES!" comes from!

However, on my skin there are no pickles. It's a very faint, soft scent, as others have said. I'm hopeless at describing notes, but I can definitely pick out the musk (which is a winner), and I'm getting hints of dry, Autumn greenery. So it definitely catches the story very well!

Later: When I applied this today, I put more on. It's a lovely, warm, soft musk. Definitely a skin scent. A wonderful addition to any collection!

ETA: I'll add to my review, "Let this age". I've had it for six weeks now and it's gone even more lovely (and less pickles..). If you don't like this fresh, try aging it in a dark corner for a few months.

Edited by Jenesis

This smells very resinous and subdued at first. If there is musk in here, it doesn't smell like any musk I have tried before. There's something sharp and piercing in there too...almost tart. It only lasts a few minutes but it feels oddly out of place and uncomfortable.

When the sharpness fades it becomes more soft. It warm and slightly sweet, and very, very resinous. But it's so subtle, with very little throw. Does it make sense that this is subtle and yet incredibly strong at the same time? That's how it seems. It does have a coated or covered feeling, like the notes are all worn down and hidden. Even somewhat powdery. I can barely detect a dryness in there, and a wood note. The dryness isn't brittle or dead, it's just very musty and smoky. It reminds me of Bonfire Night in a vague way.

I like this more when it's calmed down and has been on my skin for a few hours. I just don't know how much I like it. I don't get that comforting sensation I was hoping for. Anything that smells overly resinous to me always feels slightly unsettling, like unwashed skin. I think I'm going to put this one aside and try it again in a week or so and see if it smells any better on me.

Ivanushka

In the bottle: FUR

Wet: Furry baby powder

Dry: slightly powdery, soft, warm. A warm, nurturing scent. Reminds me of babies and kittens. It will be interesting to see how others react to this scent.

This is completely original. Defies description, defies being categorized. It's not foody. It's not floral. It's not green. It's not incensey. It's just Ivanuskha.

Wow, I am really impressed with Beth's skills. And I am forever grateful it's not Pickleushka for me!

OK, I got the pickle note in this one when sniffing out of the bottle and also when wet on my skin. Once it dried and sat for about 30 min it turned into this wonderful scent that's so hard to describe. I'm just not sure if I can stand waiting 30 minutes to get to the end results. The label is just lovely!

First Impression: A neutral, soft, outdoorsy scent - feels like an October evening.

Dries down to: Stays soft with hints of dry leaves and woodland animals.

Additional Comments. Thank goodness - no pickles on me. This feels like a walk in the forest in late October; the forest floor is covered in newly fallen leaves, you can sense the presence of small nocturnal animals, feel the warmth of a dying bonfire in the distance. After reading other reviews about the "pickle" smell, I was dreading this one but it's a lovely surprise. Musks can be tricky on me, as can woods, but this blend works - it's perfectly balanced and evokes a mood of autumn - calm and reflective. While it's not a "wow" scent for me, it's a nice everyday neutral for the fall.

Lasted: A few hours.

Rating: 3/5

On me, Ivanushka is woods and leaves over a little bit of musk. I like him a lot, I just wish he were stronger. I'm hoping age will take care of that.

Incredibly soft. Skin-like, innocent, really innocent, in the way only non-rational creatures can be. This is like curling up among your kin into the warmth of the burrow.

Furry, mammal :P

I like this -- it's a soft and gentle scent, very musky and woodsy but not in an overpowering way. It doesn't come across as overly masculine at all -- more gender-neutral. I'm reminded a little bit of Coyote, but it's less sunny than that one, more shady forest.

It does get a bit powdery as it settles in, but never unpleasant. It's a bit reminiscent of the Body Shop's white musk powder, but with a little more warmth and depth than that one.

Oh, and BTW, I get nothing remotely resembling pickles from this. I have no idea what in this scent could possibly resemble that.

The only down side to this scent is that it's not very long-lasting -- inside of an hour, it's down to a very soft skin-scent I have to put my nose right to my wrist to smell.

Grade: B (B+ if it lasted longer)

when first applied, this smells EXACTLY like black pearl on me- musky-coconut. when it fades some the coconut settles and musk comes out more and it reminds me of a cross between buck moon and black pearl. very very pretty and warm. i will definitely be keeping my imp.

The reviews describing Ivanushka as powdery had me frightened, I hate powdery scents and dry fragrances (I like that pickle smell though, so I wasn't worried about that, lol). I was so sure that Ivanushka was going to be a flop on me and that I'd regret buying a bottle. In reality, my only regret is not getting more than one bottle.

Ivanushka is such a soft, beautiful fragrance. My boy gave it an 8 out of 10 and I agree; it's definitely in a top spot for me.

Sometimes frankincense smells like dill pickles to me, so I wonder if that's what other people are smelling. I get a strong dill pickle scent from blends like Kostnice. I get a twangy resin when I first put this on, but it doesn't smell full out pickle-y to me, and it quickly settles into a softer resin. This starts off with a soft, sweet, coolly resinous quality to it that reminds me of blends like A'Arab Zaraq and Midnight Mass. It's soft and powdery though, but not baby powdery or dry, it's as though someone took the resins from similar blends and crushed them into a fine powder form. So lovely.

In the drydown, it's a powdery musk, which I would normally despise. Somehow this really does bring up an impression of warm fur though. And it settles into a clean, enchanting sort of scent on me. This reminds me quite a bit of Destroying Angel in the drydown (paper thin, soft, a bit earthy), but it has a bit of something special that makes it so much better for me.

I love this and I'm so glad I got a bottle. The label art is gorgeous too. :P

No pickles here.

To me this smells a lot like the old Buck Moon.....Soft, innocent, furry musk. Like burying my nose in my cat's fur....but glossier....like the way a mink pelt looks....deep, sable, brown and oh, so soft!

It turns a bit powdery but still retains its musky beauty.....can't wait to smell how this one ages!!!

:P

Ivanushka – On me, this is very feral, musky, and masculine. It’s kind of like Buck Moon is crossed with October. The musks aren’t overpowering, yet they’re very strong (if that makes sense) and I am one of those people who can’t smell a lot of the lighter musks, so I have a feeling that may be stronger on me than I can tell. I also smell the dry leaf note that is in October. It’s definitely not a scent I will choose to wear again because it’s not really a “me” kind of scent, but it’s interesting and undoubtedly will have some big fans.

A sweet, beautiful light brown furry musk. There are slight shades of Death Cap about Ivanuska, a definite forest loam sort of sense. It doesn't throw very far, but when I draw my wrist past my nose, I smell a beautiful scent that it about softness and warmth. I love this and wish I had more than an impful :-/

ETA I managed to find a bottle after nearly finishing my imp, and I have to say this one just gets better and better with age. And it really lasts on my skin, especially where it has touched my clothes or is under my watchstrap. 24 hours after application, I am still able to appreciate Ivanushka's brown musky furry beauty. I must highlight the similarity with Hunter Moon, although I think Ivanushka is slightly less sharp, and is more close to the skin. I really, really love this one and must send thanks to Colere who parted with an unloved bottle.

Edited by Bagfish

In the bottle: Dry and musky, wet. Hrm...

On the skin: Oh yummmmm. It's all warm fur and musk. I used to have some rabbit pelts and this is what they smelled like. It's dry and soft, and unfortunately my skin drinks it so it's got very little throw. It is similar to Coyote, but more girlie where Coyote is manly... if that makes sense. Definitely a keeper!

If Buck Moon is a buck, then obviously Ivanushka is a fawn. It's a soft, gentle and slightly powdery scent with green tones and musky notes. It's like baby Buck Moon hehe. I think if you mixed Buck Moon and Enraged Bunny Musk together you would get something a lot like this - it's very appealing in that it's a pretty non offensive, generally pleasing scent that could work on most people in most situations. It is very soft though and if powdery scents aren't your thing, this might not be your cup of tea.

I personally think it's really lovely, though I don't know how often I'd reach for it, I certainly appreciate this scent.