Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
any_old_actress

Autumn Scents - recommend the ones you love

Well, the curling up by the window with the rain pouring down was June Gloom to me, but it's more lemony than autumny.

Maybe something with Apples... Um...The Hesperides reminded me of a walk in the forest on a cool night while munching an apple.

And if you can get ahold of some Samhain, that's apparently THE autumn scent :P

well, i haven't tried any of the scents yet, but i'm looking out for any that seem to be autumnesque. maybe the best way to choose some would be to write down what images you associate with autumn. what kind of scenarios, smells, etc., and go through everything's description looking for something that might match. i think choosing a scent like that might be very personal. when i think of autumn, i think of walking through the woods. i think of anything dark red, dark brown, anything that smells like incense or fire. i think of autumn as a time when magic takes place,

since autumn is the time where all of the plants are beginning to die, and the leaves are rotting, i would suggest looking for anything that mentions decay in the description. of course, you may think of totally different things, but i hope this helps.

BLOODLUST

A fiery Martial blend that embodies primal rage, lust for conquest, and all-encompassing desire. Dragon's blood essence, heavy red musk, Indonesian patchouli and swarthy vetiver with a drop of cinnamon.

it almost sounds more winterish, but it reminds me a lot of autumn, just because i'm getting that earthy, dark red color from it.

NEPHILIM

Dark children conceived from the union of Fallen Angels and the Daughters of Men. According to lore, the angel Shemhazai led a group of his angels to earth to instruct mankind in the ways of piety and righteousness. After a time, the angels became prey to earthly desires and began to lust after the daughters of man, and thus they fell. They instructed their mortal mates in the arts of conjuration, summoning, necromancy and other magickal arts. The fruits of their union are the Nephilim: possessed of superhuman strength, cunning, and infinite capacity, and hunger for, sin. Venerated as heroes by some, vilified by most, the Nephilim eventually annihilated one another in a cataclysmic civil war instigated by the angel Gabriel as punishment for their transgressions. Holy frankincense and hyssop in union with earthy fig, defiled by black patchouli and vetiver, with a chaotic infusion of lavender, cardamom, tamarind, rosemary, oakmoss and cypress.

i think the combination of frankincense, patchouli, oakmoss, and cypress makes this seem like a scent suitable for autumn. the herbs that were thrown in might help.

SZEPASSZONY

The Fair Lady, Winter Witch, White Maiden of the Storm. Szepasszony is a Hungarian demoness that appears as a stunningly beautiful woman with long, silver-white hair and a blinding white dress. She revels in storms, particularly when hail rains down on her. Water dripping down eaves into a puddle is an invitation for her to cause mischief: she uses the puddle as a magickal tool for casting her wicked spells. It is considered foolhardy to step into a circle of short grass ringed by taller grasses, as those mark the circles where the Fair Lady dances. A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers.

it doesn't make me think of autumn, but you DID mention rain. maybe you could get an imp and mix it with something warmer to create the effect you want.

ANNE BONNY

Named in honor of the most notorious female pirate to ever set sail. Wicked, cruel, beautiful, intelligent, resourceful and dangerous: a true role model. A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense. A million thanks to Juliana Williamson-Page for inspiration!

there's the patchouli and frankincense again.

BLACK FOREST

This is the captured scent of a cold, moonless night, lost deep within the darkest wood. Haunting and desolate, this scent evokes images of fairy tale tragedy and half-remembered nightmares. Thick, viscous pine with ambergris, black musk, juniper and cypress.

oooh!

INCANTATION

A profound and entrancing potion. Deep, wispy, and unfathomably dark: vetiver, dark woods, crumbling and burnt black sandalwood and a drop of lemon rind.

LA BELLA DONNA DELLA MIA MENTE

Soft, lush myrtle and dry, sweet melilot with wild rose, pomegranate juice and peach blossom against a background of deep aquatic notes and a twirl of melancholy autumn breezes.

this one mentions water as well as autumn, so maybe you could look into it.

ULALUME

The skies they were ashen and sober;

The leaves they were crisped and sere -

The leaves they were withering and sere;

It was night in the lonesome October

Of my most immemorial year:

It was hard by the dim lake of Auber,

In the misty mid region of Weir -

It was down by the dank tarn of Auber,

In the ghoul-haunted woodland of Weir.

Starry white lilies lend an eerie brightness to the deep black wooded scents of cypress and oak, layered with a touch of crushed dried leaves and the faintest aquatic note.

that one seems almost perfect just because of the crushed leaves and the water.

ZOMBI

Dried roses, rose leaf, Spanish moss, oakmoss and deep brown earth.

Edited by diabolique

Nephilim, fo sho! It' a very warm, enfolding scent that screams autumn to me.

I'm wearing it today, as a matter of fact :P

Other scents? Incantation might be good, although that's very green green to me.

Bewitched smells like an herb candy you might get at an autumn carnivale.

OH. Chimera. Warm cinnamon buns. Othello and Old Morocco might do you good, if that's the type of flavor you're looking for. Kuang Shi. The Caterpillar and the Dormouse. Carnivale.

Zombi, also, likely a good try.

Voodoo reminds me a lot of Autumn... And as for the rest...well, I'm too distracted to think right now, but I'll get back to this post if I can remember. :P

Incantation, yea. It's very autumnal to me. And in the same vein, so are Three Witches, and Chimera. Old Athens too, in many ways. If you can get ahold of Lughnasadh, it's very Autumn .. it may well replace the disappointing Samhain for me.

And Scarecrow is a very Autumn scent for me. I'm thinking of making some incense with it, in fact, as Autumn for me is only about a month away.

I'm with you, by the way. Autumn is my favorite season.

Ooohhh, so many recomendations! Nephilim and zombi are already in my imp's ear collection, so I'll definetely give those a shot once again. Chimera is already on my "to orderlist", so that's already in. For the rest...choices!!! I think i will also try some layering experiments to find the perfect "get-your-scarf-out" scent!

Thank you all for your help! The only thing between me and a bpal order, is my slight fear for paypal, but I think I can overcome that!!!

Autumn is my favorite season as well. I love Scarecrow, and I have some Three Witches on the way.

I am REALLY looking forward to ordering Harvest Moon at the end of August. :P And to think, there isn't even a scent description yet!

Thank you all for your help! The only thing between me and a bpal order, is my slight fear for paypal, but I think I can overcome that!!!

You don't have to order via PayPal--that is just one of the methods. You can order via CCNow with a credit card. Just use the "Back to the Lab" link at the top of this page and start adding stuff to your cart!

I live in the Netherlands, so the only way to pay for me is paypal. I think i will peruse their site once more, so I will be well informed. I'm always very cautious with these things, when there is money involved....

Murron, I've got a spare imp of Incantation that I can put in with your others if you'd like it?

I'm wearing Seance today, and I keep thinking I'm smelling falling leaves. And then I realize it's me. I think it'll be a lovely autumn fragrance.

Murron, I've got a spare imp of Incantation that I can put in with your others if you'd like it?

Ohh, that would be so nice!!!! Thank you!!! By the way, pm'ed ya!!

I know it's not the season at all, but...

Samhain IS autumn. Specifically, it is a dark, breezy-but-humid autumn night of revelries and mystery.

Did I mention I love Samhain??

Josey

Verdandi is going to be my autumn signature scent. I'm going to add it to my birthday order. All those buttery, juicy apples and warm, glowing amber. Autumn!

Some that I find autumny:

--jack

--umbra

--dublin (though this didn't really work for me)

--vinland

--fenris wolf

For me its the leaf mold/woody quality of oils that reminds me most of autumn. Some of the smokey ones may do it to, though I'm less familiar with those.

Autumn is my favorite time of the year (and the season my birthday is in), so I'm a big fan of autumn scents and for me the best I've found have been Scarecrow, Death (I think this one's just me, but it reminds me of burning leaves in the autumn) and Ace of Pentacles.

Samhain didn't really work terribly well for me, but I'm not giving up hope and Jack smelled...Christmasy for some reason. :P

Can I get a sample of Death from you? :0 I'll PM you!

I find Samhain and Can't Wait Demeter to be super autumny, but they are Goth Rosary scents.

Let's see...La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente has a breezy fall vibe to it, again let me PM you!

To me, The Hesperides reminds me of fall apple harvests in Michigan and Hamadryad reminds me of the smell of a forest in the fall. Three Witches gives me a strong cider feeling.

And for some whacked out reason, both Dracul and Blood remind me of autumn, but I can't say exactly why...maybe those scents bring up some kind of fall childhood memories.

Autumn is my favoritest season :P My picks for falls scents would be:

The Hespirides - crisp cool apple goodness

Verdandi - spicy warm apple yumminess

Hunter Moon - chilly fall nights, crunchy leaves, and warm fires

Jack - buttery pumpkin :D

Scarecrow - hay fields on a warm day

Mmm... I agree with whoever said asamhain was so perfect - it really is autumny. Unfortunately, when my Samhain arrived, no only was it no longer autumn, but I thought it smelled terrible.

It's aged now though, smells divine, and I can't wait to wear it come September! Not that I'm waiting or anything :P I'd better make sure I leave some in the bottle!

Hamadryad smells like Autumn to me - the dry, spicy scent of fallen leaves with a crisp Fall breeze on top. On me it's a gender-neutral outdoorsy sporty scent, I quite like it. I think it would be great on a guy too. (I'll let you know when I get one!)

Faustus doesn't so much smell like Autumn as make me feel good wearing it in Autumn. It's an unusual violet & cinnamon combination, very warming and cozy on cold days. I think the site calls it gender neutral but to my nose it's really feminine.

Autumn is my favoritest season  :P  My picks for falls scents would be:

The Hespirides - crisp cool apple goodness

Verdandi - spicy warm apple yumminess

Hunter Moon - chilly fall nights, crunchy leaves, and warm fires

Jack - buttery pumpkin  :D

Scarecrow - hay fields on a warm day

Oh, Jack is indeed very autumnal. It's a pity it dries down to peach on me. I still LOVE the opening stages though. I'm envious of purely_cosmetic, it smells divine on her! :D

Just bumping this as its that time of year again ...well I mean if you ordered them now you'd get them in in time for fall :P

Three Witches layered over a fruity BPAL, especially one of the fruit SNs makes for a wonderful autumn scent :P Over The Hespirides it's wonderful (although The Hespirides dissapears so quickly), and over d'Anjou Pear it's divine :D

Anyone layer Three Witches with Jack? :D My lord...if anyone has, PLEASE respond! That sounds like the perfect autumn scent :D Jack by itself is too fruity for me for autumn :D

House of Night is a new fave which I'm ordering today for fall. I think it will be perfect -- spicy, earthy and a little floral to round things out.